Metagross (Concise + Update)

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
In general I'm pretty sure thunderpunch is the better option on the agility set so shouldn't the slash go "Thunderpunch/Zen Headbutt" instead of "Zen Headbutt/Thunder Punch"? I think Jolly is going to need at the very least a mention in the agility set and at most a slash (flygon, jirachi...)

-Is almost guaranteed to take out one or two opponents in a variety of roles
Really?

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In general I'm pretty sure thunderpunch is the better option on the agility set so shouldn't the slash go "Thunderpunch/Zen Headbutt" instead of "Zen Headbutt/Thunder Punch"? I think Jolly is going to need at the very least a mention in the agility set and at most a slash (flygon, jirachi...)

Really?

Lol, the whole description at the start was my translation of the the original opinion section. Upon rereading it, it looks quite childish...

Again, on the Agiligross set, it really was plus' decision to have Adamant and Zen Headbutt. I think the main thing that validates this is the use of Rotom-A as often a stop for Metagross, but then again, I have been wrong before.

Jolly does make sense however, and will promptly get a slash.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Adamant and Zen Headbutt is fine however I think Thunderpunch deserves more emphasis over Zen Headbutt but if others think differently then I'll be happy to discuss it with them.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly, I'd rather run Thunderpunch than Zen Headbutt. Rotom-A is significantly easier to lure and deal with than Gyarados/Suicune/Vaporeon, and I feel that the move that is easier to support should be the one that makes it onto the main slash.

Also, I'm a fan of Adamant, but Jolly is probably better in this metagame due to the ubiquity of Scarf Flygon in the metagame, as well as Scarf Jirachi and friends. Still, I'll let you guys chime in on this.

Ray Jay

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Due to the mass overhaul of millions of people (or like, 5) I am making a not-so-executive decision to put ThunderPunch over Zen Headbutt with Jolly as the preferred slash on Agiligross.

For the mix set, I highly advise against Quiet nature and I suggest Naughty or Rash. Hidden Power Fire OHKOes Scizors and speed is needed to outspeed them. Same with certain Heatrans and Magnezones in the case of EQ. In addition, I recommend Shadow Ball over Psychic for better chance of 2HKOing Rotom. I would like to point out that Grass Knot does not always OHKO certain Swamperts.

You clearly didn't read any of the post or have attempted to try out the set. You outspeed minimum speed Scizor with the spread to begin with. Heatran will always outspeed you so that is a moot point and Magnezone if your that afraid of him you just use HP Fire. Shadow Ball and Psychic both 2HKO Rotom. The difference being Psychic hits everything else better also. Shadow Ball just sucks and is just for Rotom. Grass Knot does 80%+ to all Swampert so if it switches in on anything its dead cleanly so that is a moot point also.

Honestly, I'd rather run Thunderpunch than Zen Headbutt. Rotom-A is significantly easier to lure and deal with than Gyarados/Suicune/Vaporeon, and I feel that the move that is easier to support should be the one that makes it onto the main slash.
Thats hotly debateable. its pretty easy to throw Life Orb Heatran on a team and blow up on those three.

Ray Jay

I am back guys, sorry, had some problems.... I am now ready to finish this up. Written analysis should be up in the next few days.

Hey you should mention Dragon Dance Dragonite as a partner to Iron Ball + Trick Metagross. It can sweep so much easier with only Dragon Claw + Earthquake after Metagross has made Skarmory and Bronzong susceptible to Ground-type moves. Also giving Scarf Rotom-A and possibly Scarf Flygon (some switch in on predicted Earthquakes) Iron Ball greatly helps its sweep. I also prefer a much bulkier EV spread as Metagross is one of the best Kingdra counters and I don't really need the Attack EVs.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was reviewing the information of the OP, and I would like to see mentioned in the AC of the lead set the possibility of using Shuca Berry as the item when Metagross is being used in a non-lead capacity. This allows Metagross to take on Dragonite and Flygon's EQ (which it can actually do without the berry, though the purpose is clear) and hit them back with Ice Punch. Shaymin and Heatran are other Pokemon who usually carry Earth Power, both of which Metagross can get rid of in just one hit if the KO by said Ground-type move is prevented. So yeah, please do note this.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shaymin yes, but I'm thinking it's fairly obvious that Heatran would prefer to Fire Blast said Metagross into next week rather than Earth Power, as even an Occa-cut STAB Fire Blast is just as powerful as a SE Earth Power.

Ray Jay

Alrighty, the OP has finally been edited with the written analysis!

It is ready for GP checks.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Grammar-Prose Check 1/2:
additions/changes/comments in blue
removals in red

[Overview]

<p>We all know how dangerous Metagross can be, whether the hulking chunk of metal is running a lead set or easily ripping through the remains of a team. An excellent stat distribution (including a devastating Attack), coupled with great typing provide for create a Pokemon who any team needs to be ready for. Top this all off with a more-than-usable ability that suppresses Intimidate, and you have a Pokemon who will always be remembered as a DPP OU staple.</p>

<p>Metagross fills a certain niche that gains it consistent usage in the lead spot, where it can make use of Stealth Rock, reliable STAB, priority, and Explosion. Its respectable defenses allow it to effortlessly come in on moves it resists and wreak havoc. The only stat that really leaves you wanting more is Speed, which can be made up for due to Metagross's access to stat boosting moves. As with any Pokemon, it can run into problems (such as being weak to the omnipresent Earthquake), but Metagross remains reliable due to its knack for fulfilling certain duties in a variety of roles.</p>

(Metagross' applies to every Metagross while Metagross's indicates to one Metagross.)

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Meteor Mash / Earthquake
move 3: Bullet Punch
move 4: Explosion
item: Lum Berry / Occa Berry
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This variation of Metagross focuses on getting Stealth Rock up early, (comma) while putting your team in a great offensive position, (comma) and still posing a threat to most common leads. Metagross tends to be a lot bulkier than the majority of suicide leads, and thus, very few leads can OHKO it (especially with Occa Berry). As for the move choice in the second slot, Earthquake allows Metagross to hit more things more coverage, but Meteor Mash is incredibly useful to hit with a strong STAB and pose a huge threat early on, should you obtain an Attack boost.</p>

<p>Bullet Punch is useful here in conjunction with Metagross's lower Speed, as it allows you to pick off the all-too-common users of Focus Sash. Explosion is an incredible move to add to your arsenal here, as with Metagross's huge Attack, you can be pretty much be guaranteed that it's going to put a dent in something. To put it into perspective, Explosion has a high chance to OHKO Hippowdon, even without a single boost! Lum Berry is the preferred item here as it allows you to handle sleep-inducing leads as well as Machamp, but Occa Berry helps against some Fire-types, such as Infernape. However, you will still lose to Heatran in this case.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>4 Speed EVs are all you'll really need, but if you wish to raise your Speed even more, 40 EVs from Attack can be moved there. HP is maximized to complement the natural bulkiness of Metagross, while the EVs from Attack guarantee your STAB and Explosion are going to hit like a truck. Adamant nature is preferred, as you don't really need any help in Speed due to the inclusion of a priority move, and the bonus to Attack is incredibly useful.</p>

<p>Trick can be used over Bullet Punch on this set with a Choice Scarf and max Speed. This allows you to outspeed usual threats such as Azelf and 2HKO, or cripple bulkier leads such as Swampert. However, this is generally not advised, as most leads are dealt with easier by the primary set. It is also optional to use Ice Punch and a Shuca Berry. This prevents Dragonite's Earthquake from being a problem, and also allows you to fare well against Shaymin.</p>

<p>Heatran will be a problem no matter which item and move combination you pick. Bulkier leads such as Hippowdon and Swampert are also problematic, as although they can be dealt with by Explosion, this requires you to sacrifice Metagross. If you choose Lum Berry, Starmie makes a great partner, as it can Rapid Spin away any entry hazards that you could not stop, while also dealing with Heatran and Hippowdon. Starmie also is a good switch-in to Swampert and Infernape. A bulkier Restalking Rotom-A works well in conjunction with Occa Berry Metagross, as it can absorb the status inflicted by sleep leads, and is immune to Explosion and Rapid Spin.</p>

[SET]
name: AgiliGross
move 1: Agility
move 2: Meteor Mash
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: ThunderPunch / Zen Headbutt
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The only stat of Metagross that is really lacking at all is its Speed, which can be remedied by Agility. After merely one boost, Metagross is more than capable of ripping through teams at late-game in the game, where Pokemon with resistances to Metagross's attacks have been taken out or significantly weakened. Due to Metagross's huge Attack, sweeping at +2 Speed will be an easy task if the game has been played well so far.</p>

<p>Agility is a necessity here to boost the Speed of Metagross's Speed and set the stage for a potential sweep. Meteor Mash is the best STAB option, due to its naturally high Base Power. Earthquake provides fantastic coverage alongside Meteor Mash, as most Pokemon resistant to Steel will take a heavy hit from Earthquake. ThunderPunch is the preferred option to pick off threats such as Gyarados or bulky Water-types, but Zen Headbutt is perfectly viable in order to hit Rotom-A. Life Orb is the obvious choice here, especially with the high Speed you will have, but Leftovers is usable, and Lum Berry can allow you to set up on someone thinking they will be able to status you.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided allow you to reach a Life Orb number and outspeed Choice Scarf Rotom-A after an Agility, if you choose an Adamant nature. While a bulkier spread with Leftovers can be used, it is generally the inferior option. Jolly nature is incredibly useful, as without it, Choice Scarf Flygon will have no problem coming in to revenge kill.</p>

<p>Explosion or Ice Punch can be used on this set. With Explosion, (comma) fills a certain niche late game, as it Metagross can net you a kill that would otherwise have been impossible late-game. However, since Metagross needs to be sweeping, it is hampered by the lack of coverage from Explosion having one of its moves cause instant suicide. Ice Punch generally provides redundant coverage, but it can be useful against Gliscor.</p>

<p>When using this set, it is important to keep in mind that Pokemon who are resistant to Metagross's moves will have an easier time against this set in comparison to Choice Band, as the damage output is reduced greatly. For this reason, physically bulky Pokemon will do a nice job of walling this set, and ones with access to Thunder Wave can essentially render it useless. Scizor makes a good partner for these reasons, as it can use U-turn and allow Metagross to come in at an opportune moment. Celebi can greatly threaten the bulky Water-types you will have trouble with (should you bypass ThunderPunch), while Infernape can be reliable in handling Rotom-A if you do not use Zen Headbutt.</p>

[SET]
name: Attacking Lead
move 1: Meteor Mash / Iron Head
move 2: Earthquake
evs: 236 HP / 248 Atk / 20 Def / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Metagross set, unlike the rather similar Lead set, utilizes four attacking moves, meaning it can make the most of its potential to beat other common leads. Using Meteor Mash, Earthquake, and Bullet Punch all in the same set grants Metagross the ability to cover many other leads at once, while Explosion can be used once Metagross has outlived its usefulness.</p>

<p>The combination of Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch lets Metagross beat most frail leads one-on-one, such as the standard Lead Azelf and Ninjask, while Earthquake and Bullet Punch beats Infernape leads, provided you have Occa Berry as Metagross's item. Earthquake also hits Steel- and Fire-types such as Metagross, Jirachi, and Heatran; Heatran is only beaten if it uses Stealth Rock on the first turn, due to its commonly used Shuca Berry. Explosion deals with bulkier leads such as Swampert and Hippowdon, meaning they won't be able to set up Stealth Rock, while others such as Gliscor and Machamp won't be able to execute their usual strategy. If you choose Occa Berry to beat Infernape leads, you lose the ability to beat Roserade, Gengar, and Smeargle leads. If you are not happy with Meteor Mash's 85% hit rate, Iron Head is an alternative option, beating the same leads despite the Base Power drop, although it will slightly hurt Metagross's ability to handle threats later in the game.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs offer Metagross a great amount of bulk (removed comma) that giving it the ability to take numerous hits when used as a lead and to stop boosting threats with Explosion when used later in the game. The spread of 236 HP / 248 Atk / 20 Def / 4 Spe gives Metagross the highest chance of surviving an Adamant Mamoswine's Earthquake followed by Ice Shard, allowing it to strike back with its super effective STAB attack. The 248 Attack EVs offer Metagross the offensive power it needs to achieve the OHKOs and 2HKOs it manages against other leads. Speaking of leads, there are certain Pokemon, such as Empoleon, Skarmory, Tyranitar, and opposing Metagross, (comma) who can be outpaced by using a few extra EVs in Speed. However, if you prefer to outspeed more threats, an alternative spread of 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Speed offers a more offensive approach to the usual lead Metagross, sacrificing bulk for Speed. The 244 Speed EVs put Metagross at 237 Speed, outpacing neutral base 100 Speed Pokemon who don't invest in Speed, such as Celebi and Tentacruel. This also allows Metagross to outspeed Adamant Scizor, as well as Pokemon who aim for 231 Speed such as Magnezone and mixed Tyranitar. The 252 Attack EVs are once again used to power up Metagross's attacks, while the remaining EVs are dumped into HP to give Metagross some added bulk. If you choose to run Lum Berry, placing 140 EVs in HP guarantees that Metagross will survive a Fire Blast from Lead Azelf, while the remaining 116 Speed EVs are enough to outpace 8 Speed Rotom-A, as well as most defensive Suicune.</p>

<p>Since this Metagross does not use Stealth Rock, another teammate who is able to set up Stealth Rock is an asset. Swampert is a good choice and also pairs well with Lum Berry Metagross, taking on Infernape and Heatran leads with impunity, excluding the likely Explosion or Hidden Power Grass on the latter. If Metagross lacks Lum Berry, its best bet is to Bullet Punch sleep-inducing leads to break their Focus Sashes while taking the sleep, after which the best course of action is to switch to a faster Pokemon who is able to revenge kill them, such as offensive Starmie or Choice Scarf Jirachi.</p>

<p>Since Metagross carries Explosion, and thus is most likely to take down an opposing bulky lead such as Swampert, Hippowdon, or Gliscor along with it, using Pokemon who can effectively take advantage of them being gone is advised. Tyranitar is a good bet, benefiting from the fact that Swampert and Hippowdon—its best counters—are out of play. Lucario also benefits from their absence, as it will have a much easier time sweeping a team clean once its main counters are gone. Dragon Dance Dragonite, as well as Heatran and Magnezone, can also take advantage of the lack of Swampert's removal.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Meteor Mash
move 3: ThunderPunch / Zen Headbutt
move 4: Explosion / Trick
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Unlike the afore set, With a Choice Scarf, (comma) this Metagross deals with its Speed problems without having to boost via Agility by donning a Choice Scarf. This Metagross It can serve as a great revenge killer, and often can net pivotal surprise kills. Meteor Mash is obvious as it is the best option in terms of STAB, while Earthquake greatly damages Fire- and Steel- types. ThunderPunch is helpful, as it allows you to dispose of destroy Gyarados (even after a Dragon Dance), but Zen Headbutt threatens Rotom-A. Explosion is the recommended option in the last slot, as the extra Speed provided here allows you to net one last kill should you be at low health. Trick is viable though, as it can cripple a wall who your team just can't break.</p>

<p>It is worth mentioning that this set can function in Ubers. With a Choice Scarf, Metagross outspeeds Latias and Latios, and can take Rayquaza's Outrage and immediately proceed to KO with Ice Punch. Explosion also proves useful in dealing with Calm Mind Kyogre.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Attack and Speed are maxed out to deal optimal damage with sufficient Speed as much damage as possible as fast as possible. Metagross passes the 130 Speed mark, meaning it can deal with Infernape, Gengar, and Gyarados handily. As was previously mentioned, Ice Punch can be used in the last slot, but it is usually only of use useful in Ubers. This set has a lower damage output, and so it must rely on a certain element of surprise. However, once your opponent learns Metagross has a Choice Scarf, don't rely on them making the same mistake again.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Zen Headbutt / Bullet Punch / Trick
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Metagross's high Attack and excellent defensive typing make this set effective at doing what Metagross does best: sticking around and dealing damage. Meteor Mash has an unbelievable damage output under with this set, and Earthquake retains the aforementioned synergy with Meteor Mash. Explosion is a given; with this set, it can cripple even Skarmory. Zen Headbutt rounds off the coverage nicely, but Bullet Punch is an option to pick off weakened Azelf or Gengar. Trick is an interesting option, but generally fits better on a Choice Scarf set. If coverage is absolutely necessary, Explosion can be dropped to use both Zen Headbutt and Bullet Punch, although this is not recommended.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are simple to maximize the both Metagross's damage output and ability to deal such damage. Ice Punch, ThunderPunch, or Pursuit can also work among the previously mentioned options. It is important to watch out for bulky Water-types, as they can wall Metagross all day. Skarmory and Forretress aren't hurt terribly either, and bulky Ground-types work in much the same manner. Rotom-A and Zapdos also are resistant to most of the attacks here. For this reason, a Calm Mind Celebi can work well and set up on these counters, or Magnezone can trap and eliminate the Steel-types.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Earthquake
move 4: Grass Knot / Bullet Punch
item: Leftovers / Expert Belt
nature: Quiet
evs: 80 HP / 124 Atk / 252 SpA / 52 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A mixed Metagross may not seem like a viable option due to its significantly lower Special Attack, but this set does prove useful to beat some common counters. With this set, Metagross is capable of 2HKOing Skarmory and Hippowdon with the respective moves, while it netting an easy OHKO on Forretress and Swampert. Should Rotom-A switch in and attempt to burn you, you can easily retaliate with Psychic for the surprise KO. Meteor Mash remains, and should you decide to forgo Hidden Power Fire, Earthquake can be used for slightly different coverage (most notably, missing the ability to hit Skarmory in exchange for Heatran). Grass Knot allows Metagross to take on bulky Water- and Ground-types without fear, but Bullet Punch can be used if you are absolutely paranoid about its Speed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided allow Metagross to outspeed Choice Band Scizor (removed comma) while complementing the its excellent bulk of Metagross. They also provide great special attacking potential. Leftovers is the preferred option, as you don't lose any notable kills, and Metagross's life span is lengthened once again. Expert Belt is still an option though if you wish to up Metagross's Attack power damage output a bit. Hammer Arm can be used to beat Blissey and, if you chose Hidden Power Fire, Heatran.(backspaced)</p>

<p>This Metagross is excellent at finding, luring out, and killing usual threats. Because of this, the best teammates to this set are ones that Pokemon who appreciate the removal of Metagross's counters such as Rotom-A, Skarmory, and Swampert.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick + Iron Ball
move 1: Trick
move 3: Meteor Mash
move 4: Explosion / Stealth Rock
item: Iron Ball
evs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-A and Skarmory make natural switch-ins to Metagross; it is only logical that Metagross employs a combination of moves to beat both of these foes. This particular set aims to make use of Metagross's higher Attack than Special Attack. Trick combined with Iron Ball form the core of this set, as it leaves the aforementioned common threats susceptible to Ground-type moves. This means that the great type coverage provided by Earthquake and Meteor Mash gets even better.</p>

<p>The last slot is up for grabs. Explosion OHKOes almost any Pokemon who doesn't resist it, courtesy of Metagross's mammoth Attack. However, since this Metagross aims at being a utility counter, it may be more potent when it's not committing suicide using Explosion. For this reason, Stealth Rock can be used to support the rest of the team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>20 Speed EVs are vital to this set to outspeed base 115s after they have been Tricked an Iron Ball. Maximum Attack is also a given in order to deal as much possible damage via Earthquake. The rest are dumped into HP to complement Metagross's natural bulk. With poor prediction, this set will face difficulty against Heatran. Iron Ball is the necessary choice for item, while Adamant is useful for higher damage output. While Earthquake is an anathema troublesome to Heatran, it can easily come in on a Meteor Mash and proceed to pick off Metagross.</p>

<p>The best teammates to this set are ones that Pokemon who prefer to have Skarmory and Rotom-A gone, considering how well this set lures them out and eliminates them. Gyarados will have a much easier time setting up and maintaining a sweep with Rotom-A removed; Mamoswine will fare much better once Skarmory is gone. If Heatran does prove to be a problem, bulky Water-types can be used as a solution.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Stealth Rock works well in conjunction with Metagross's high Attack, and turns many 3HKOs into 2HKOs. It is especially useful when using ThunderPunch to deal with bulky Water-types, and discourages Zapdos from repeatedly switching in. Dual screens make Metagross quite the offensive and defensive force, as it will be even more difficult to take down.</p>

<p>Bulky Water-, Ground- and Steel-types are almost always a good check to Metagross. Celebi can set up on most of these, and can also take on the otherwise problematic Zapdos and Rotom-A. Tyranitar can also weaken most of Metagross's counters to the point where Metagross's high Attack should have no difficulty picking them off. Heatran also is a good partner, as it can prey on the bulkier counters' lower Special Defense. Finally, Dragonite has good synergistic typing with Metagross, resisting Fire-type moves and possessing an immunity to Ground-type attacks.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>HP and Attack are generally the stats you will want to prioritize, but some Speed is fine in order to beat Skarmory or other Metagross. Zen Headbutt fits on most sets in order to take out Rotom-A. Iron Head has a nice flinch rate, and warrants use over Meteor Mash also because of its perfect accuracy. Icy Wind is a usable option, and can be useful on a special based set over Ice Punch. It also deals with Metagross's Speed, while retaining coverage and Gliscor and Dragon-types. The main problem is that it is just a little on the weak side.</p>

<p>Other than that, movepool options are scarce. Gyro Ball is unreliable even with STAB and Metagross's low Speed, as Metagross's counters are generally slow. Hammer Arm warrants use on some sets, but its only real potential is against Magnet Rise Manezone, making it therefore a little too situational. Psych Up is another situational move, but it allows you to take on Curse Snorlax or even the rare Regirock. Magnet Rise can get rid you of Metagross's Ground-type weakness, but still leaves it vulnerable to Fire-type moves, and doesn't work well synergistically complement with its low Speed.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Rotom-A is the perfect counter to Metagross. Rotom-A resists all of Metagross's main attacking options while also being immune to Explosion and Earthquake. Rotom-A can immediately threaten Metagross with Will-O-Wisp, who obviously won't enjoy being burned, or stall through Rest + Sleep Talk if needed. Rotom-H can also severely weaken Metagross with Overheat; in fact, minimum Special Attack Rotom-H stands a small chance of 2HKOing Metagross with Overheat, provided Metagross has taken previous damage from Stealth Rock.</p>

(watch out for choice band zen headbutt? trick + iron ball has potential here too.)

<p>Skarmory fears next to nothing from Metagross, barring the occasional Choice Band ThunderPunch or Hidden Power Fire. Due to this, Skarmory can easily set up Spikes or Whirlwind Metagross out, depending on what the situation calls for. Bronzong also fares well, and can even do some damage with Earthquake. Forretress works similarly to these other Steel-types, but can be hit by a powerful Earthquake from Metagross. Zapdos also resists some of the main attacking options, and can threaten with Overheat.</p>

(these pokemon need to watch out for trick + iron ball as well.)

<p>Bulky Water-types can often be problematic, but they fear both ThunderPunch and Explosion. Bulky Ground-types work even better, and most can easily do a lot of damage back with Earthquake. Hippowdon and Swampert fear Grass Knot though, however, while Ice Punch will quickly eliminate Gliscor.</p>

<p>Magnezone is obviously a problem should it get a Magnet Rise off before Metagross can use Earthquake, as it will then take extremely little from whatever Metagross shells out. Due to its ability, Magnezone can also trap Metagross, meaning it will probably be able to get the kill in such a scenario. Dugtrio can also work in this way, but it does not enjoy such nice resistances, and generally fears everything except ThunderPunch.</p>

Seems pretty nice.

A Tank Set like in the old analysis isn't possible ?
I played it because i never like the sandstorm gived by Hippodown.
With 252/252 +, he is almost never OHKOed by Lucario +2 and kills it easily. He walls Gyarados, Heracross, Jirachi, Scizor and even Dragonite (yeah, he can take EQ +1 with 252 + and LO) and retaliates back like a truck with a powerful Meteor Mash which, without EV in atk, hits harder than Iron Head coming from Jirachi 252 +.

He isn't a set-up fodder with his correct coverage, can sets up the walls, Stealth Rock and, at least, explodes. He has amazing synergy with many Pokemon, not weak to Water and is more powerful and has better offensive movepool than Hippo (Punches). He lacks only Stone Edge.

Metagross @Leftovers / Shed Shell (isn't advised)
Impish, 252 PV / 252 Def / 6 Atk (maybe a spread with more atk is possible)
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake / Ice Punch / ThunderPunch
-Earthquake / Stealth Rock / Explosion
-Reflect / Light Screen / Stealth Rock / Explosion

I think i made too many slashes but the idea is here. He works in balanced team which dislikes the sandstorm gived by Hippo or the lack of power of Foretress / Skarmory.
Teammates are essentially Vaporeon, whose Wish can heal Metagross and Dragon-types.

Sorry for my English, it's not my main language.

Ray Jay

AromaFlora, your changes have been implemented and I am ready for GP CHECK 2.

FullKorbe, I would propose that you press that set through C&C (starting in Quality control) should you feel the need.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have your pets GP checked today!

GP Check 2/2

Deletions
Additions

[Overview]

<p>We all know how dangerous Metagross can be, whether the hulking chunk of metal is running a lead set or easily ripping through the remains of a team. An excellent stat distribution (including a devastating Attack), coupled with great typing create a Pokemon who any team needs to be ready for. Top this all off with a more-than-usable ability that suppresses nullifies Intimidate, and you have a Pokemon who will always be remembered as a DPP OU staple.</p>

<p>Metagross fills a certain niche that gains it consistent usage in the lead spot, where it can make use of Stealth Rock, reliable STAB, priority, and Explosion. Its respectable defenses allow it to effortlessly come in on moves it resists and wreak havoc. The only stat that really leaves you wanting more is Speed, which can be made up for due to Metagross's access to stat-boosting moves in Agility and Rock Polish. As with any Pokemon, it can run into problems (such as being weak to the omnipresent Earthquake), but Metagross remains reliable due to its knack for fulfilling certain duties in a variety of roles.</p>

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Meteor Mash / Earthquake
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Metagross focuses on getting Stealth Rock up early, putting your team in a great offensive position and posing a threat to most common leads. Metagross tends to be a lot bulkier than the majority of suicide leads, and thus, very few leads can OHKO it (especially with Occa Berry). As for the move choice in the second slot, Earthquake allows Metagross to have greater coverage, but Meteor Mash is incredibly useful to hit with a strong STAB and pose a huge threat early on, should you obtain an Attack boost.</p>

<p>Bullet Punch is useful here in conjunction with Metagross's lower Speed, as it allows you to pick off the all-too-common users of Focus Sash. Explosion is an incredible move to add to your arsenal here, as with Metagross's huge Attack, you can pretty much be guaranteed that it's going to put a dent in something. To put it into perspective, Explosion has a high chance to OHKO Hippowdon, even without a single boost! Lum Berry is the preferred item here as it allows you to handle sleep-inducing leads as well as in addition to Machamp, but Occa Berry helps against some Fire-types, such as Infernape. However, you will still lose to Heatran in this case.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>4 Speed EVs are all you'll need, but if you wish to raise your Speed even more, 40 EVs from Attack can be moved there. HP is maximized to complement the natural bulkiness of Metagross, while the EVs from Attack guarantee your STAB and Explosion are going to hit like a truck. Adamant nature is preferred, as you don't need any help in Speed due to the inclusion of a priority move, and the bonus to Attack is incredibly useful.</p>

<p>Trick can be used over Bullet Punch on this set with a Choice Scarf and max Speed. This allows you to outspeed usual threats such as Azelf and 2HKO, or cripple bulkier leads such as Swampert. However, this is generally not advised, as most leads are more easily dealt with easier by the primary set. It is also optional to use Ice Punch and a Shuca Berry. This prevents Dragonite's Earthquake from being a problem, and also allows you to fare well against Shaymin.</p>

<p>Heatran will be a problem no matter which item and move combination you pick. Bulkier leads such as Hippowdon and Swampert are also problematic, as although they can be dealt with by Explosion, this requires you to sacrifice Metagross. If you choose Lum Berry, Starmie makes a great partner, as it can Rapid Spin away any entry hazards that you could not stop, while also dealing with Heatran and Hippowdon. Starmie also is a good switch-in to Swampert and Infernape. A bulkier Restalking RestTalking Rotom-A works well in conjunction with Occa Berry Metagross, as it can absorb the status inflicted by sleep leads, and is immune to Explosion and Rapid Spin.</p>

[SET]
name: AgiliGross
move 1: Agility
move 2: Meteor Mash
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: ThunderPunch / Zen Headbutt
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The only stat that Metagross is really lacking in is Speed, which can be remedied by Agility. After merely one boost, Metagross is more than capable of ripping through teams at during late-game, where most useful resistances have been taken out or significantly weakened. Due to Metagross's huge Attack, sweeping at +2 Speed will be an easy task if the game has been played well so far.</p>

<p>Agility is a necessity here to boost Metagross's Speed and set the stage for a potential sweep. Meteor Mash is the best STAB option, due to its naturally high Base Power. Earthquake provides fantastic coverage alongside Meteor Mash, as most Pokemon resistant to Steel will take a heavy hit from Earthquake. ThunderPunch is the preferred option to pick off threats such as Gyarados or bulky Water-types, but Zen Headbutt is perfectly viable in order to hit Rotom-A. Life Orb is the obvious choice here, especially with the high Speed you will have, but Leftovers is usable, and Lum Berry can allow you to set up on someone thinking who thinks that they will be able to status you.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided allow you to reach a Life Orb number and outspeed Choice Scarf Rotom-A after an Agility, if you choose an Adamant nature. While a bulkier spread with Leftovers can be used, it is generally the inferior option. Jolly nature is incredibly useful, as without it, Choice Scarf Flygon will have no problem coming in to revenge kill.</p>

<p>Explosion or Ice Punch can be used on this set. With Explosion, Explosion is especially useful as it may can net you a kill that would otherwise have been impossible. However, since Metagross needs to be sweeping, it is hampered by the lack of coverage from Explosion. Ice Punch generally provides redundant coverage, but can be useful against Gliscor.</p>

<p>When using this set, it is important to keep in mind that Pokemon who are resistant to Metagross's moves will have an easier time against this set in comparison to Choice Band, as the damage output is reduced greatly. For this reason, physically bulky Pokemon will do a nice job of walling this set, and ones with access to Thunder Wave can essentially render it useless. Scizor makes a good partner for these reasons, as it can use U-turn and allow Metagross to come in at an opportune moment. Celebi can greatly threaten the bulky Water-types you will have trouble with (should you bypass forgo ThunderPunch), while Infernape can be reliable in handling Rotom-A if you do not use Zen Headbutt.</p>

[SET]
name: Attacking Lead
move 1: Meteor Mash / Iron Head
evs: 236 HP / 248 Atk / 20 Def / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Metagross set, unlike the rather similar Lead set, utilizes four attacking moves, meaning it can make the most of its potential to beat other common leads. Using Meteor Mash, Earthquake, and Bullet Punch all in the same set grants Metagross the ability to cover many other leads at once, while Explosion can be used once Metagross has outlived its usefulness.</p>

<p>The combination of Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch lets Metagross beat most frail leads one-on-one, such as the standard Lead Azelf and Ninjask, while Earthquake and Bullet Punch beats Infernape leads, provided you have Occa Berry as Metagross's item. Earthquake also hits Steel- and Fire-types such as Metagross, Jirachi, and Heatran; Heatran is only beaten if he uses Stealth Rock on the first turn, due to his commonly used Shuca Berry. Explosion deals with bulkier leads such as Swampert and Hippowdon, meaning they won't be able to set up Stealth Rock, while others like Gliscor and Machamp won't be able to execute their usual strategy. If you choose Occa Berry to beat Infernape leads however, you lose the ability to beat Roserade, Gengar, and Smeargle leads. If you are not happy with Meteor Mash's 85% hit rate, Iron Head is an alternative option, beating the same leads despite the Base Power drop, although it will slightly hurt Metagross's ability to handle threats later in the game.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs offer Metagross a great amount of bulk to take numerous hits when used as a lead and to stop boosting threats with Explosion when used later in the game. The spread of 236 HP / 248 Atk / 20 Def / 4 Spe gives Metagross the highest chance of surviving an Adamant Mamoswine's Earthquake followed by Ice Shard, allowing it to strike back with its super effective STAB attack. The 248 Attack EVs offer Metagross the offensive power it needs to achieve the OHKOs and 2HKOs it manages against other leads. Speaking of leads, there are certain Pokemon, such as Empoleon, Skarmory, Tyranitar, and opposing Metagross, who can be outpaced by using a few extra EVs in Speed. However, if you prefer to outspeed more threats, an alternative spread of 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Speed offers a more offensive approach to the usual lead Metagross, sacrificing bulk for Speed. The 244 Speed EVs put Metagross at 237 Speed, outpacing neutral base 100 Speed Pokemon who don't invest in Speed, such as Celebi and Tentacruel. This also allows Metagross to outspeed Adamant Scizor, as well as Pokemon who aim for 231 Speed such as Magnezone and mixed Tyranitar. The 252 Attack EVs are once again used to power up Metagross's attacks, while the remaining EVs are dumped into HP to give Metagross some added bulk. If you choose to run Lum Berry, placing 140 EVs in HP guarantees that Metagross will survive a Fire Blast from Lead Azelf, while the remaining 116 Speed EVs are enough to outpace 8 Speed Rotom-A, as well as most defensive Suicune.</p>

<p>Since this Metagross does not use Stealth Rock, another teammate who is able to set up Stealth Rock is an asset. Swampert is a good choice and also pairs well with Lum Berry Metagross, taking on Infernape and Heatran leads with impunity, excluding the likely Explosion or Hidden Power Grass on the latter. If Metagross lacks Lum Berry, its best bet is to Bullet Punch sleep-inducing leads to break their Focus Sashes while taking the sleep, after which the best course of action is to switch to a faster Pokemon who is able to revenge kill them, such as offensive Starmie or Choice Scarf Jirachi.</p>

<p>Since Metagross carries Explosion, and thus is most likely to take down an opposing bulky lead like Swampert, Hippowdon, or Gliscor along with it, using Pokemon who can effectively take advantage of them being gone is advised. Tyranitar is a good bet, benefiting from the fact that Swampert and Hippowdon—his best counters—are out of play. Lucario also benefits from their absence, as he will have a much easier time sweeping a team clean once his main counters are gone. Dragon Dance Dragonite, as well as Heatran and Magnezone, can also take advantage of Swampert's removal.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: ThunderPunch / Zen Headbutt
move 4: Explosion / Trick
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a Choice Scarf, Metagross deals with its Speed problems without having to boost via Agility. This Metagross can serve as a great revenge killer, and often can net pivotal surprise kills. Meteor Mash is obvious as it is the best option in terms of STAB, while Earthquake greatly damages Fire- and Steel- types. ThunderPunch is helpful, as it allows you to dispose of Gyarados (even after a Dragon Dance), but Zen Headbutt threatens Rotom-A. Explosion is the recommended option in the last slot, as the extra Speed provided here allows you to net one last kill should you be at low health. Trick is viable though, as it can cripple a wall who your team just can't break.</p>

<p>It is worth mentioning that this set can function in Ubers. With a Choice Scarf, Metagross outspeeds Latias and Latios, and can take Rayquaza's Outrage and immediately proceed to KO with Ice Punch. Explosion also proves useful in dealing with Calm Mind Kyogre.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Attack and Speed are maxed out to deal as much damage as possible as quickly as possible the most amount of damage in the quickest possible manner. Metagross passes the 130 Speed mark, meaning it can deal with Infernape, Gengar, and Gyarados handily. As was previously mentioned, Ice Punch can be used in the last slot, but it is usually only useful in Ubers. This set has a lower damage output, and so it must rely on a certain element of surprise. However, once your opponent learns Metagross has a Choice Scarf, don't rely on them making the same mistake again.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Zen Headbutt / Bullet Punch / Trick
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Metagross's high Attack and excellent defensive typing make this set effective at doing what Metagross does best: sticking around and dealing damage. Meteor Mash has an unbelievable damage output with this set, and Earthquake retains the aforementioned synergy with Meteor Mash. Explosion is a given; with this set, it can cripple even Skarmory. Zen Headbutt rounds off the coverage nicely, but Bullet Punch is an option to pick off weakened Azelf or Gengar. Trick is an interesting option, but generally fits better on a Choice Scarf set. If coverage is absolutely necessary, Explosion can be dropped to use accommodate both Zen Headbutt and Bullet Punch, although this is not recommended.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs maximize both Metagross's damage output and ability to deal such damage dish it out. Ice Punch, ThunderPunch, or Pursuit can also work among the previously mentioned options. It is important to watch out for bulky Water-types, as they can wall Metagross all day. Skarmory and Forretress aren't hurt terribly either, and bulky Ground-types work in much the same manner are in the same boat. Rotom-A and Zapdos also are resistant to most of the attacks here. For this reason, a Calm Mind Celebi can work well and set up on these counters; or Magnezone can be used to trap and eliminate the Steel-types.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Earthquake
move 4: Grass Knot / Bullet Punch
item: Leftovers / Expert Belt
nature: Quiet
evs: 80 HP / 124 Atk / 252 SpA / 52 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A mixed Metagross may not seem like a viable option due to its significantly lower Special Attack, but this set does prove useful to beat some common counters. With this set, Metagross is capable of 2HKOing Skarmory and Hippowdon with the respective super effective moves, while netting an easy OHKO on Forretress and Swampert. Should Rotom-A switch in and attempt to burn you, you can easily retaliate with Psychic for the surprise KO. Meteor Mash remains, and should you decide to forgo Hidden Power Fire, Earthquake can be used for slightly different coverage (most notably, missing exchanging the ability to hit Skarmory in exchange for order to batter Heatran). Grass Knot allows Metagross to take on bulky Water- and Ground-types without fear, but Bullet Punch can be used if you are absolutely paranoid about its Speed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided allow Metagross to outspeed Choice Band Scizor, while complementing the excellent bulk of Metagross. They also provide great special attacking potential. Leftovers is the preferred option, as you don't lose any notable kills, and Metagross' life span is lengthened once again. Expert Belt is still an option though if you wish to up the damage output a bit. Hammer Arm can be used to beat Blissey and, if you chose Hidden Power Fire, Heatran.</p>

<p>This Metagross is excellent at finding, luring out, and killing usual common threats. Because of this, the best teammates to this set are Pokemon who appreciate the removal of Metagross' counters Pokemon such as Rotom-A, Skarmory, and Swampert, Metagross's usual counters.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick + Iron Ball
move 1: Trick
move 3: Meteor Mash
move 4: Explosion / Stealth Rock
item: Iron Ball
evs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-A and Skarmory make natural switch-ins to Metagross; it is only logical that Metagross employs a combination of moves to beat both of these foes. This particular set aims to make use of Metagross's higher Attack rather than its lower than Special Attack. Trick combined with Iron Ball form the core of this set, as it leaves the aforementioned common threats susceptible to Ground-type moves. This means that the great type coverage provided by Earthquake and Meteor Mash gets even better.</p>

<p>The last slot is up for grabs. Explosion OHKOes almost any Pokemon who doesn't resist it, courtesy of Metagross's mammoth Attack. However, since this Metagross aims at being a utility counter, it may be more potent when it's not using Explosion. For this reason, Stealth Rock can be used to support the rest of the team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>20 Speed EVs outspeed base 115s after they have been Tricked an Iron Ball. Maximum Attack is also a given to deal as much possible damage via Earthquake. The rest are dumped into HP to complement Metagross's natural bulk. With poor prediction, this set will face difficulty against Heatran. Iron Ball is the necessary choice for item, while Adamant is useful for higher damage output. With poor prediction, this set will face difficulty against Heatran, while Earthquake is troublesome to Heatran can keep it at bay, it can easily come in on a Meteor Mash and proceed to pick off Metagross.</p>

<p>The best teammates to this set are Pokemon who prefer to have Skarmory and Rotom-A gone, considering how well this set lures and eliminates them. Gyarados will have a much easier time setting up and maintaining a sweep with Rotom-A removed; Mamoswine will fare much better once Skarmory is gone. If Heatran does prove to be a problem, bulky Water-types can be used as a solution.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Stealth Rock works well in conjunction with Metagross's high Attack, and turns many 3HKOs into 2HKOs. It is especially useful when using ThunderPunch to deal with bulky Water-types, and discourages Zapdos from repeatedly switching in. Dual screens make Metagross quite the offensive and defensive force, as it will be even more difficult to take down.</p>

<p>Bulky Water-, Ground- and Steel-types are almost always a good check to Metagross. Celebi can set up on most of these, and can also take on the otherwise problematic Zapdos and Rotom-A. Tyranitar can also weaken most of Metagross's counters to the point where Metagross's high Attack should have no difficulty picking them off. Heatran also is a good partner, as it can prey on the bulkier counters' lower Special Defense. Finally, Dragonite has good synergistic typing with Metagross, resisting Fire-type moves and possessing an immunity to Ground-type attacks.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>HP and Attack are generally the stats you will want to prioritize, but some Speed is fine in order to beat Skarmory or other Metagross. Zen Headbutt fits on most sets in order to take out Rotom-A. Iron Head has a nice flinch rate, and warrants use over Meteor Mash also because of its perfect accuracy. Icy Wind is a usable option, and can be useful on a special-based set over Ice Punch. It also deals with Metagross's Speed, while retaining coverage and on Gliscor and Dragon-types. The main problem is that it is just a little on the weak side.</p>

<p>Other than that, movepool options are scarce. Gyro Ball is unreliable even with STAB and Metagross's low Speed, as Metagross's counters are generally slow. Hammer Arm warrants use on some sets, but its only real potential is against Magnet Rise Manezone Magnezone, making it therefore a little too situational. Psych Up is another situational move, but allows you to take on Curse Snorlax or even the rare Regirock. Magnet Rise can get rid of Metagross's Ground-type weakness, but still leaves you vulnerable to Fire-type moves, and doesn't complement its low Speed.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Rotom-A is the perfect counter to Metagross. Rotom-A resists all of Metagross's main attacking options while also being immune to Explosion and Earthquake. Rotom-A can immediately threaten Metagross with Will-O-Wisp, who obviously won't enjoy being burned, or stall through Rest + Sleep Talk if needed. Rotom-H can also severely weaken Metagross with Overheat; in fact, minimum Special Attack Rotom-H stands a small chance of 2HKOing Metagross with Overheat, provided Metagross has taken previous damage from Stealth Rock. Choice Band Zen Headbutt will pack a punch on Rotom-A though, so be wary of that as well as the Trick + Iron Ball set.</p>

<p>Skarmory fears next to nothing from Metagross, barring the occasional Choice Band ThunderPunch or Hidden Power Fire. Due to Because of this, Skarmory can easily set up Spikes or Whirlwind Metagross out, depending on what the situation calls for. Bronzong also fares well, and can even do some damage with Earthquake. Forretress works similarly to these other Steel-types, but can be hit by a powerful Earthquake from Metagross. Zapdos also resists some of the main attacking options, and can threaten with Overheat Heat Wave. Again, Trick + Iron Ball beats most of these common counters, so be wary.</p>

<p>Bulky Water-types can often be problematic, but they fear both ThunderPunch and Explosion. Bulky Ground-types work even better, and most can easily do a lot of damage back with Earthquake. Hippowdon and Swampert fear Grass Knot though, however, while Ice Punch will quickly eliminate Gliscor.</p>

<p>Magnezone is obviously a problem should it get a Magnet Rise off before Metagross can use Earthquake, as it will then take extremely little pittance from whatever else Metagross shells out. Due to its ability, Magnezone can also trap Metagross, meaning it will probably be able to get the kill in such a scenario. Dugtrio can also work in this way, but it does not enjoy such nice resistances, and generally fears everything except ThunderPunch.</p>
Lookin' Good!

Ray Jay

I have implemented all checks and this should be ready to go onsite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)