Metal and Hardcore fans of Smogon, unite!

I don't even care if you're a fan of the heaviest, sickest Brutal Death Metal and Grindcore, the most misanthropic Black Metal, the cheesiest Power Metal, or the scene infused Deathcore, let's all just get some discussion going now.

Metal albums of 2008 are looking GREAT so far. What all albums have you been listening to and what do you think are the top contenders so far? For me, it's definitely...

Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds
Brain Drill - Apocalyptic Feasting
Origin - Antithesis
Protest The Hero - Fortress
Salt The Wound - Carnal Repercussions
Warbringer - War Without End
Arsis - We Are The Nightmare
Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works

And my most anticipated are definitely...

The new Metallica album
Annotations of an Autopsy - Before The Throne of Infection
The new Whitechapel album
The new Emmure album
Nachtmystium - Assassins Part I: Black Meddle
And many many others

Also, I just listened to Lethargy's "It's Hard To Write With a Small Hand." Mathcore classic.

What about everyone else?

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
So far, I've been impressed by the new Arghoslent. It's about as good as Galloping Through the Battle Ruins and slightly below Incorrigible Bigotry I think. I've also kind of liked the new Meshuggah, Protest the Hero, Mercenary and Decrepit Birth. They aren't great albums though, the charm wears off too quickly.

There's been a few disappointments this year already. Arsis - We Are the Nightmare sucked and Boris - Smile was pretty bad. Brain Drill's Apocalyptic Feasting was supposed to be "good" or something, but it was just another shitty direction-less, uninspired wankfest akin to Beneath the Massacre. Every black metal release I've heard this year was shitty too. Woods of Ypres was supposed to be good, but instead was some of the least inspired garbage I've heard recently. Leviathan releases yet another horrible album. Nortt's Galgenfrist is a horrendous attempt at fusing drone and black metal.

And there have been a few abominations too. Not like anyone was probably expecting the new In Flames or Children of Bodom to be good, but both bands have reached new lows. Furthermore, Cryptopsy's "leaked" tracks are absolute garbage. I don't know if it's true that they postponed or canceled their new shitfest of an album yet, but it is depressing to see the same band that released "None So Vile" drop to the level of deathcore and nu metal.

I am pretty optimistic about the following releases though:

Wintersun - Time
Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
Moonsorrow - Tulimyrsky
Opeth - Watershed

edit: Also hoping for Darkthrone and Graveland to release more albums this year. They obviously won't be classic-level, but they'll at least be better than most other things.

So far, I've been impressed by the new Arghoslent. It's about as good as Galloping Through the Battle Ruins and slightly below Incorrigible Bigotry I think. I've also kind of liked the new Meshuggah, Protest the Hero, Mercenary and Decrepit Birth. They aren't great albums though, the charm wears off too quickly.

There's been a few disappointments this year already. Arsis - We Are the Nightmare sucked and Boris - Smile was pretty bad. Brain Drill's Apocalyptic Feasting was supposed to be "good" or something, but it was just another shitty direction-less, uninspired wankfest akin to Beneath the Massacre. Every black metal release I've heard this year was shitty too. Woods of Ypres was supposed to be good, but instead was some of the least inspired garbage I've heard recently. Leviathan releases yet another horrible album. Nortt's Galgenfrist is a horrendous attempt at fusing drone and black metal.

And there have been a few abominations too. Not like anyone was probably expecting the new In Flames or Children of Bodom to be good, but both bands have reached new lows. Furthermore, Cryptopsy's "leaked" tracks are absolute garbage. I don't know if it's true that they postponed or canceled their new shitfest of an album yet, but it is depressing to see the same band that released "None So Vile" drop to the level of deathcore and nu metal.

I am pretty optimistic about the following releases though:

Wintersun - Time
Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
Moonsorrow - Tulimyrsky
Opeth - Watershed
I am very excited for Watershed. Should turn to be a great album

As far as Cryptopsy, I really hate going there. I used to worship them, I still worship None So Vile and Lord Worm. And to know that his legacy and that band's legacy has been ruined is a transgression I don't think I can ever forgive. I can only hope that Lykathea Aflame eventually makes that supposed new album eight years after Elvenefris and shows Death Metal enthusiasts that there is hope for another all time classic in the genre.

I just listened to Galgenfrist for the first time today and I am so disappointed. I loved Gudsforladt and Liugfaerd, but this album is so boring. There's NOTHING to it. Gudsforladt was full, driven, and emotional. Galgenfrist is just a minimalistic attempt at being "special." I enjoyed the new Woods but absolutely loved the new Leviathan. I was anticipating that one heavily and it was everything I wanted, but I am a HUGE Leviathan fan. Also, whenever a new Xasthur album comes out, I hope it's as good as Defective Epitaph.

I loved the new Boris and Arsis and Brain Drill, though I understand where the hate does come from. It is sad to hear that Brain Drill is apparently no more. You should give the new Origin a check and see if it satisfies.

And to be honest, "Time" has been delayed so much that I don't even know if I have excitement for it anymore. Ugh.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
excuse me i just have to get this out of my system and then the metal discussion can continue.

BITCHIN GUITAR SOLOS!!!!!!!!!!!

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
The Leviathan album is their best by far, I'd say. I think it had the potential to be good, but it is long and repetitive.

I heard the new Origin leaked, but haven't given them a proper listen yet. It's supposed to be respectable modern death metal, so I might check it out.

why? it's only been like 20 years since their last good album, right?
Because judging by the two new songs they have played live, I'd say there's something to get excited about since they're acting like everything after Black Album never happened, which is how it should be.

chaos beat me to it, but the only people actually anticipating anything from Metallica would be the most optimistic people in the world. If they did happen somehow by some amazing stroke of insanity make something worth listening to, then it would be more like 'oh, cool, that was unexpected'.

I might listen to the new In Flames and Children of Bodom albums for kicks!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Because judging by the two new songs they have played live, I'd say there's something to get excited about since they're acting like everything after Black Album never happened, which is how it should be.
I agree, but I really think that ship has LONG sailed.

I would look forward to the new Dillinger, but I couldn't stand Miss Machine, I thought it was trite garbage. Long story short, Calculating Infinity will forever set the standard for mathcore, and Dillinger will never be the same band after losing the Minakakis.

why? it's only been like 20 years since their last good album, right?
Yeah, but it's also been like 20years since they had a decent bassist. Robert Trujillo is one of the best out there. Also Rick Rubin is producing it, the albums Danzig did with Rick had by far the best production (despite the time difference too - Danzig's early stuff was with Rick Rubin producing). Not that I'd buy a Metallica album.

Anyway, new Testament album on April 29th should be good, bit of a shame Paul Bostaph is drumming on it because of everyones friends at the Department of Homeland Security preventing Nick Barker playing on it, but Bostaph is good so it'll be fine.

I just got the newest Martyrdöd album titled In Extremis today, definately a sickkk skandi hardcore band, totally brutal.
if anyone likes bands like Tragedy, Victims, His Hero Is Gone, Skitsystem etc this is definately something you should check out

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really don't know too much about this stuff, I downloaded a Botch CD (Dave Knudson is a better guitarist than most metal "shredders" put together) but it wasn't my style. maybe I just don't know enough? my metal and hardcore cravings are usually cured by Boris and Circle Takes the Square.

I really don't know too much about this stuff, I downloaded a Botch CD (Dave Knudson is a better guitarist than most metal "shredders" put together) but it wasn't my style. maybe I just don't know enough? my metal and hardcore cravings are usually cured by Boris and Circle Takes the Square.
to be honest Botch were definately on the forfront of "metalcore" with bands like Shai Hulud and Converge.

all bands mentioned kick serious ass.
Circle Takes the Square are more of an emo band to be honest, but i love that band aswell. (i obsess over emo bands)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I downloaded Botch 2-3 years ago for the same reason as havoc, to check out old MTB-related projects. I disliked it at first, even with my mathcore/hardcore tastes. But it seriously started to grow on me in the past year, all I can say is give it time.

Someone recommend me metallic technical hardcore whatever like Converge, Botch, Architect, Engineer, Achilles (not sure if they fit here but whatever)

also CULT OF LUNA get a new album this year apparently which is really awesome

Circle Takes the Square is excellent

I'm a complete Iron Maiden nut and the only thing they're releasing this year is basically Live After Death with parts of Real Live One added in (I have both albums so I probably won't get this one).

Due to a lack of exploration into all of the endless submetal/as;ldkasl;fdkas/asdasdasda genres...

Some of my top favorite bands of any genre are The Fall of Troy, Killswitch Engage, and SOAD never gets old. I say this with the realization that most people on the internet are quite mainstream biased.

Dream Theater / Opeth tour this spring, it's going to be so fucking amazing. I may pay for backstage passes and try to get my guitar signed, it's just that good. The average song length is probably going to be like 8+ minutes, lol. I play the same guitar as Mikael Akerfeldt ^_^!

I've been listening to a lot of Children of Bodom lately, oddly enough. They're rather repetitive after Follow the Reaper (2001), but those first three albums have some pretty cool moments (I'm a sucker for anything sounding remotely classical or epic, so...). Kinda wish they (aka Alexi) would take some more risks with songwriting / instrumentation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)