Metronome for Classroom Quizzes

Hi Everyone!
I'm a mathematics teacher for a private middle school and I have decided to try and give my students a little more engagement with their studies using Pokemon as an example.

I assign my classes daily 5 pt. quizzes, since they have homework checked for completion grades.
I started this week by having a student roll a D20 for an accuracy check.
I get online, go to a metronome move generator and try to implement the affect for the move.

I try to pretend the class is using a move against the quiz. Today I pulled Spore, so I pretended the quiz fell asleep for 5 turns. I figured a turn is 5 seconds, so I let students use 25 seconds of free time during the quiz where they could share and check answers before grading.

They loved it (even though they didn't know it was Pokemon based).

I spent some time today configuring a system of moves to implement a certain fun or unique way to quiz for the day (even though I do not use it for a real Test).

I would love to hear suggestions or comments to how I should setup a system.
I want to determine what the statuses would do to a quiz and what the actual stats.
Maybe certain quizzes can be certain types and if it is a fire move, then there is no quiz due to high damage.

Since it is a five point quiz, I figured this would mean 5 HP.
Softboiled would mean get back 2 1/2 points, so if they did bad, they would still get a 100%.
Only one student can roll the die a day, so no one's grading will affect the other.

I'd say keep it fresh. There's a good chance the fact they didn't know it was pokemon based might have helped it. (Not everyone will enjoy a pokemon reference, but everyone will enjoy a gimmick that boosts their grades.)

Using metronome isn't a bad idea for coming up with random ideas, but I'd avoid over-complicating the gimmicks to stay true to the pokemon reference. Simple is best, especially for a 5 point quiz.

e.g.: Roar should be something like you yell out two of the answers at some point during the quiz (simple and beneficial) instead of everyone has to exchange exams with someone 5 minutes into the quiz (confusing, but true to game mechanics).

Good Points mentioned

I am kinda winging it too here and there. Deciding whether the true game mechanic is going to apply successfully or not.

Today a student pulled Swagger, but rolled a natural 1 so missed. lol

Another class got Sing but rolled a 9. 10-20 is 55% Accuracy so another miss.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)