Mew

If there ever was a Pokemon that deserved it's own discussion thread, it's Mew. With the awesome 100 base stats across the board, and access to every TM and HM in the game it's the most versatile Pokmeon aside from Smeargle. The viable sets you can run with Mew are limited only by your ingenuity and skill. This little guy has been driving fans of Pokemon crazy since RBY first came out and the rumors about ways to obtain it ranged from the random truck you could find in Vermilion to the actual glitch on the Nugget bridge. Now that it's back in UU, it seems like it's the opportune time for us to figure out the absolute best ways to use our favorite pink cat-thing. So let's go people! How do you use the ancestor of all Pokemon?

Mew

Ability: Synchronize
100/100/100/100/100/100

Support Mew
Mew @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 224 Def, 32 Spe
-Taunt
-Will-O-Wisp
-Stealth Rocks
-Psychic/Softboiled

The EV spread for this set is taken straight out of the Smogon Pokedex, and is set up for the OU metagame. The moves for a support Mew can be pretty much anything your team is in need of. It can lay down SR, Toxic opponents, set up Rain or Sun, or pretty much do anything you want it to and all the while wall the hell out of the Fighting types that run amok in UU. This guy can even take a Megahorn from Jolly ScarfCross and burn it (assuming Moxie) thus making it absolutely useless for the rest of the match. The question for this set is, what speed is necessary for it to succeed in the UU environment? How do you use Mew to support your team?

Nasty Plot
Mew@ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Psyshock
-Aura Sphere
-Shadow Ball/ Fire Blast

Nasty Plot Mew doesn't see enough use these days, and it's a travesty. With such a superb movepool, and respectable speed and a special attacking stat's Mew is capable of doing some serious sweeping. The three attacks listed hit everything in UU for at least neutral damage, and a great amount super effectively. Nothing fancy with the EV's here, just boost up and hit as hard and fast as possible.

Swords Dance
Mew@ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 112 HP, 252 Att, 144 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Zen Headbutt
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch

This set tends to take people by surprise, as most players expect Mew to be taking a defensive roll, or to utilize the raw power of it's Nasty Plot Set. Swords Dance Mew has the ability to set up on and KO some of the Pokemon that are most likely to switch in to either of it's more common sets. Pokmeon like Snorlax, Umbreon, and Empoleon are all treated like set up fodder and even as a way to renew HP via Drain Punch. The EV's are designed to outspeed non-scarf Rotom-A, Heracross, and Nidoking while maintaining bulk and power. Sucker Punch can secure KO's on common scarfed revenge killers after SR. Pokemon like Victini, Chandelure, and Darmanitan are all taken out with +2 Sucker Punches, paving the way for Mew to sweep teams. This particular set is walled hard by Slowbro, so packing a good switch in is an absolute must when using this Mew.

Baton Pass
Mew@ Lum Berry
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 112 Def, 144 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance/Nasty Plot
-Baton Pass
-Taunt

With the defenses to live almost any attack, and access to great boosting moves, Mew is a fantastic user of Baton Pass. The EV spread for this Mew is so that it ouspeeds Scarf Raikou after one Rock Polish, which is the fastest Pokemon that you're likely to encounter in UU. Obviously this spread can be tweaked if ScarfKou isn't much of a concern for your team, but I felt this was a good jumping off point. This Mew works best with dual screens, and Xatu makes a fantastic partner to set them up by also ensuring that there aren't any hazards to ruin your receiving sweeper's fun. Speaking of recipients, the list of Pokemon that share good synergy with Mew is long and quite frankly awesome. Passing +2 and +2 to Pokemon like Nidoking, Cobalion, or Kingdra could very easily mean game over for your opponent. The fact that Mew's packing Taunt means that unless your opponent has a Pokemon with Dragon Tail you don't need to worry about Mew being phazed out, and I can pretty much guarantee something on their team is going down.

Well, those are just the first four movesets that came to mind when I was thinking of ways to use Mew and I'm personally excited to see what the rest of the community has to say about Pokemon #151. What ways can the sets I listed be tweaked to be more effective? What sets did I totally miss that you think deserve more recognition and use? The possibilities for discussion about Mew are almost endless, so lets get cracking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)