Mew

Mew@Life Orb
Jolly; 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Brick Break
Shadow Claw
Swords Dance
Baton Pass / Taunt / Roost / Dragon Claw / Rock Polish

Mew lacks physical STAB, which makes this set potentially less effective. Perfect coverage somewhat remedies this, and alongside Taunt makes hitting walls less difficult. Baton Pass and Roost are standard while Dragon Claw has good neutral coverage. Rock Polish is an option to attempt a +2/+2 sweep.

Also, access to Bulk Up and Calm Mind mean that Mew can easily take a more bulky approach to sweeping.
Mew gets Zen Headbutt from move tutors. I think the OP should be more thorough with all the moves Mew has, which I know are a lot, but still.

You get a pokemon with completely different typing and roles, and the biggest case of 4MS Syndrome diagnosed in all of pokemon.

Let's face it, despite Celebi's 7 weaknesses, Poison and Flying are almost never seen offensively, leaving Dark, Ghost, Bug, Ice, and Fire as its remaining 5 weaks. Ghost, Ice, and Fire are predominantly special, while Dark and Bug are physical (and can be seen coming from a mile away).

While Mew has neutrality for all those types except the Psychic weaks, it also has neutrality to Grass, Electric, Fighting, Ground, and Water, all of which are huge resistances for the time-traveler.

Then you haven't played SubCM or CM 3Attacks Jirachi. It has much better defensive typing and while the two are by no means similar, Jirachi can definitely hold its own outside of flinchhax.

No one is saying 100 all around sucks - in fact, 100/100/100 is one of the most solid defensive stat distributions in the game, and so far the phantom legends have capitalized on that with great typing. It's just that, while Mew is bulky, it takes neutral hits from 12 of the games 17 types, so a 2-3HKO is easy to nab (especially wih the speed creep going around).
Well that is true. Also I haven't had troubles with calm mind jirachi (mostly because I have a scarf flygon on most of my teams). also all you need is one turn to pretty much kill the whole metagame (ask all the people who've met empoleon).

What I'm saying is that I'm tired of all the people who say mew is under-whelming and sucks. Mew by no means suck (otherwise it wouldn't have stayed uber for 4 generations)

We are not saying that he sucks, just that he doesn't deserve to be banned compared to other threats this gen. Mew is likely to stay OU this gen.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Here are some cool Mew sets that I have been utilizing on PO.
(if you want to do something other than Baton Passing)

1. Nasty Plot
Mew @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nasty Plot
Aura Sphere
Psycho Shock / Psychic
Dark Pulse

Mew is one of the naturally bulkiest Nasty plotters around, easily allowing him to set up. Unlike Nasty Plot Azelf, who boasts higher offensive stats, Mew has access too Aura Sphere which allows him to deal with TTar. His higher bulk means he can take a hit when it's unavoidable. Psycho Shock is a nifty move, because it absolutely destroys Blissey. Mew is capable of dealing well over 80% with a 2+ Psycho Shock, making teams that rely on Blissey as their special wall suffer greatly. Dark Pulse is there for coverage and it doesn't let him get walled by opposing psychic types.

Annoyer (Thanks for the set Jibaku)
Mew @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature (252HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def)
Super Fang
Softboil
Taunt
U-turn

A cool set if you want to annoy things. Super Fang will badly hurt most of Mew's switch in's, while you can taunt to shut down the slower defensive switch in's or U-turn the stronger ones. Mew can run anything in that fourth slot (Stealth Rock, Screens etc)

it's up to you.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Mew will likely assume the same role that it did in the previous gen - best Baton Passer in the game. Sure, his success isn't as likely as it was back then on account of the new Mischevious Heart trait and Dragon Tail/Overhead Throw but Mew got a lovely little boost to help him along the way.

Research Thread said:
Confirmed Magic Coat now reflects Whirlwind, Roar, Disable, Spite, Spikes, Foresight, Encore, Torment, Taunt, Odor Sleuth, Miracle Eye, Embargo, Heal Block, Toxic Spikes, Defog, and Stealth Rock (jumpluff, Philip7086)
Mew @ Leftovers or Resist Berry of choice
Physically bulky EV spread
- Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
- Rock Polish
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Baton Pass

Magic Coat is a little more difficult to use than Taunt but it's arguably better. If Erufuun tries to be cute it's gonna end up being the one who gets Taunted. If she goes for Encore, she gets locked into Encore and you can react from there (she'll still stop your pass because she'll just Encore your Magic Coat on the next turn but at least you get a free switch). If Skarmory goes for Whirlwind, he'll be the one who ends up getting phazed etc. It's quite difficult to stop this Mew from doing exactly as he pleases and even if you do prepare for it, this is just one dangerous set out of about...10? Maybe more?

I'm just gonna state the obvious and say that Mew is a huge threat.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I can't believe I missed that... This is a HUGE buff for Mew in general and definitely appreciates the ability to help it's Baton Passing attempts. Erufuun can't even touch Mew due to Magic Coat's 4+ priority (you'll have to switch out if it encores but like you said it's fodder for the rest of your team)

Edit: Ah my mistake.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If you Magic Coat Erufuun's Encore, you could just stay in and keep spamming Magic Coat until Encore runs out of PP or Erufuun switches out or uses Taunt. Then you can complete your pass freely. With that in mind, the only thing Erufuun can do to stop Mew is Memento or Switcheroo'ing him an inconvenient item.

Couldn't you pretty much get the current mew from the WiFi event, teach it SR and transfer it over? I mean, this way you get all the versatility you want. Or would your game detect that your Mew has an incompatible move and reject the Gen IV to Gen V transfer?

This thing is scary. It may have been outclassed as an attacker in Uber and relegated to Baton Passing (which it does extremely well) but it is a very good attacker and quite fast and can do a Nasty Plot Life Orb set and just use Nasty Plot/Roost or Baton Pass/Aura Sphere/Flamethrower or Icebeam. Flamethrower roasts Erufuun and Scizor, and Icebeam hits dragons. +2 Life Orb Aura Sphere is an ohko on all Tyranitar so the only scary Tyranitar is a choice scarf one. In OU, I can definitely see Mew being scary as heck due to its versatility and behind screens, you will get a pass off and you can lure Erufuun out and roast or freeze the thing with a 1-2 hit ko. Also, Mew statuses, boosts, attacks and everything like a champion. It learns all tms, move tutors, and can attack on both sides. Psychic is not the greatest typing but it's weaknesses are only Ghost/Dark/Bug, most of whom you outrun or you just switch from or status, etc.

The thing is, Mew being outclassed in Ubers (only because the things there hit so hard there is no time to pass, this is slightly less common in OU since most of the sweepers require a set up or are pretty frail) does not mean it isn't too good for OU. This thing is pretty scary. A swiss army knife of destruction. Scizor's Bullet Punch doesn't even 2 hit ko min min and it can always be roasted, Tyranitar could be potentially Thunderwaved/Will-O-Wisped and U-Turned or +2 Life Orbed Aura Sphered (depending on sets), it can run Swords Dance, Mix, it can be an all passer, etc.

If only this thing had Mischievious Heart. Pressure doesn't really do anything for it and it would have loved for a new ability, particularly Mischievious Heart which would be pretty Godly on Mew with priority Rock Polish/Bulk Up/Calm Mind/Swords Dance/Nasty Plot/Claw Sharpen/Cheer Up/Baton Pass/Taunt/Thunderwave/Will-O-Wisp/Trick/Reflect/Light Screen/Torment and on and on and on. God Mew has options and is really underrated, and this thing would have been unquestionably Uber with priority (which would actually give Mew an advantage over things like Mewtwo and Arceus) and usefulness there but even in OU without Mischievious Heart, this thing is beastly and surprisingly bulky. Unlike Celebi who has loads of weaknesses, this thing isn't nearly as scared of Tyranitar/Scizor/Dragons, etc. Most OU dragons except Garchomp and the Latis are outrun. This thing is the best Baton Passer and Smearlge and Volbeat only give competition because of Smeargle's ability of Spore and Baton Passing things like Belly Drum and Shell Break and Volbeat's Mischievious Heart and +3 SAtk Tail Glow's. But Mew actually has defenses and is really hard to kill actually. It has it's own Recovery and behind screens, nothing will really stop the pass except Taunt and Erufuun who can be lured out by Mew (because no one actually expects Mew to be able to attack for some reason). But if this thing had Mischievious Heart....

Man Mew wishes for Mischievious Heart. That ability was made for Mew and Mew is a mischievious Pokemon as well and having the DNA of all Pokemon should give Mew the right to do cooky things like that. It makes more sense on Mew than most of the things Mischevious Heart users are, like why Voltlos and the Tornado Bird? If they get it, which makes no sense not that I'm complaining because they love it, but if they get it, why not give it to the ruler of all things tricky and passy, Mew? Mew would be a top Pokemon with it and I can still see it being extremely evil in OU which laughs at the nay-sayers for this thing not being uber or barely ou even.

Edit: Lol, I said Mew's ability was Pressure, I meant Synchronize. So many Uber pokes get Pressure I forgot Mew was Synchronize which is still very only situationally helpful. Mischievious Heart would still be a GOD ability on Mew and would be fun to paralyze Mewtwo, Kyogre, Latias, Palkia, burn normal Arceus, Bulk Up/Calm Mind with priority and actually have some survieability in Ubers, etc. Priority Taunt or paralyzing Darkrai messes Darkrai up, and priority Baton Pass would be a gift from heaven since it could easily get boosts and run then. Gah, darn you Gamefreak/Nintendo/whoever that decided to pass over giving things like Mischievious Heart to Mew.

Alright, I'm bumping Mew's thread, because I just downloaded mine from Wifi and have been trying to think of truly unique sets for it.
Sadly the thing about being a jack of all trades is your a master of none, no matter mew's job someone can do it better.
As much as I can see the logic behind this statement (...or is it an opinion? ...either way), I don't think it's entirely true. With the entire TM and Tutor list at its disposal, there's GOT to be a few things Mew can do that no one else can.

Anyone who knows the Ubers metagame knows that basically Mew's only unique role there is Baton Passing... it's the Uber BPer of the 4th Generation, probably the best in the game. However, with all the huge threats (probably) emerging into the Uber metagame, I find myself wondering if it will be able to measure up... Mew had such a hard time keeping up with the other Ubers just in Gen 4. However, in that or any metagame, Mew's best BP set is probably the one that Lee listed:
Mew @ Leftovers or Resist Berry of choice
Physically bulky EV spread
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Baton Pass
This is a really cool way to use Mew, and definitely unique. Magic Coat is epick on Baton Passers with the rise of MH Taunt, and while there are quite a few other Pokemon that have both Baton Pass and Magic Guard available to them from the 4th gen (easily transferable), Mew has a far-wider variety of boosting moves to pass-- it even gets Block in addition to every stat-doubling boosting move, whereas all the other Magic Guard Baton Passers can only really resort to Calm Mind.

We are not saying that he sucks, just that he doesn't deserve to be banned compared to other threats this gen. Mew is likely to stay OU this gen.
I don't entirely agree with the phrasing, but I actually do hope that this will be the case... I feel that it'll open the floodgates to the things that Mew can really do. Forget Sword/NastyPassing, Mew can sweep the hell out of stuff with its OWN boosts if it stays OU. Fluffy Otters does a good job of describing the havoc he can wreak in OU (I'm not gonna quote him because he made a long-ass post, LOL); even if Mew IS deemed to be Uber, at least the community will finally be able to experience and appreciate why Mew is too good for standard play.

So with this, I hope to re-open discussion regarding one of the coolest (and cutest, but that's not entirely relevent here) Pokemon every made, with a particular emphasis on sets that utilize Mew's unique combination of movepool and stat spread.

Discuss!

...right... well no one else is posting in here (yet, I hope), so I'll go ahead and start us off with some relatively unique Mew sets that I've seen or thought of.

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
- U-Turn
- Trick
- Outrage / Me First
- Explosion
It's pretty gimmicky for the most part, but when I saw it used against me, I thought it was pretty much the coolest Mew set ever. The set has several goals in mind, each of which is accomplished by a specific move: U-Turn scouts the opponent's team, Trick debilitates a wall like Blissey, or something else that needs to be able to choose its attacks, and Explosion (though perhaps less useful nowadays) sacrifices Mew to take down any specific non-Steel typed threat. Outrage (or Me First, if you're feeling particularly confidant about your ability to predict) is for revenging purposes; since it's the only attacking move on the set, a Dragon move is chosen for maximum coverage (and in Ubers, tons of stuff is weak to it anyway).

Mew @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / ? Def / ? SDef
- Dragon Tail / Roar
- Thunder Wave / Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt / Magic Coat
- Heal Bell / Tailwind / Roost
Bulky utility/support/phazing Mew. Spread status with the first and second slots, use the third slot to protect yourself from Taunters and other statusers (Magic Coat + Roar is good if you're worried about Mischeivous Heart Pokemon, though Dragon Tail works either way). Third slot is for miscellaneous team support: Heal Bell can be used if your team lacks a cleric, new-and-improved Tailwind helps if your team overall lacks speed, hell, it can even be used to set up Trick Room if you want it to do that. Roost is an option for some recovery in that last slot if you're wanting it.

Mew @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Block
- U-Turn
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Hypnosis / Roost
LOLLL Block/Mean Look/Spider Web can't be Baton Passed anymore. What a shame. Well, the next closest thing is this set, which baits things like Tyranitar into switching into you, trapping them, then facing them to confront the ill-matched (for them) setup sweeper of your choice. Justice Heart Lucario, in particular, is a good choice to switch into the aforementioned example of Tyranitar.

Other sets I'm too lazy to do the full writeup for because they're kind of obvious:
  • Pure SD: Swords Dance, Earthquake, Wild Bolt, Stone Edge / Dragon Claw / Sucker Punch
  • Pure NP: Nasty Plot, Psycho Shock, Fire Blast, Earth Power / Vacuum Wave
  • physical ResTalk: Rest, Sleep Talk, Bulk Up, Dragon Claw/Tail
  • special ResTalk: Rest, Sleep Talk, Calm Mind, Dragon Pulse / Ice Beam
  • something involving Super Fang
  • SD or NP + Roost with 2 attacks
If anyone wants to correct my coverage on any of the sweeper sets, that's fine, as I kind of just threw these together. Coverage really isn't difficult for Mew at all since it can get perfect coverage with many different combinations. :D This was all that I could think of that Mew might use if it doesn't get banned to Ubers, but please feel free to keep coming up with stuff. I'm sure there're countless options with Mew's ridiculous movepool.

Trap passing no longer works. The mechanics were changed, so the effect doesn't carry with Baton Pass.
Really? Aw man, poor Umbreon. D: That was like, his only token set. Ariados, too... poor guy will be even more useless now.

Well in Mew's case at least, there's always Block + U-Turn... it's no Trap-Pass, but it's rather like a pseudo-Shadow Tag.

^But pseudo Shadow Tag is fail. ;_;

You'll just trap Tyranitar. :(

Edit: Well maybe not for Mew. I'd have to try it. That could work maybe.

If you need Tyranitar out of the way, like say... on a weather team to allow your Kabutops or Victreebel or whatever to sweep, then why not? If nothing else, you can bring in something that scares away Tyran, like Lucario, to set up for a SD or NP sweep.

Of course, it won't always be Tyranitar, but now that you mention it, Mew would definitely attract him. Could label the set 'TTar Lure' or something.

In any case, I'm not gonna pretend that 'psuedo Shadow Tag' isn't one of the Mew's inferior options. :P It might work, but... Point taken.

If you need Tyranitar out of the way, like say... on a weather team to allow your Kabutops or Victreebel or whatever to sweep, then why not? If nothing else, you can bring in something that scares away Tyran, like Lucario, to set up for a SD or NP sweep.

Of course, it won't always be Tyranitar, but now that you mention it, Mew would definitely attract him. Could label the set 'TTar Lure' or something.

In any case, I'm not gonna pretend that 'psuedo Shadow Tag' isn't one of the Mew's inferior options. :P It might work, but... Point taken.
Actually, I was too quick to judge. That idea is pretty kewl, and I'll probably try it out. Maybe with BP instead of U-Turn, despite it denting T-tar, and possibly passing some boosts. Lucario would love this.

If only trap-passing still worked. ;_;

Actually, I was too quick to judge. That idea is pretty kewl, and I'll probably try it out. Maybe with BP instead of U-Turn, despite it denting T-tar, and possibly passing some boosts. Lucario would love this.

If only trap-passing still worked. ;_;
Especially with Justice Heart. Yeah, test that out for me, I'm trying to keep myself from playing 5th-Gen sims until I get the games.

Ugh I hope this thing gets banned. It has too many movesets, an incredibly bulky 100/100/100, and can baton pass almost anything.

I really can't think of mew getting banned. It may be the best baton passer and the most versatile pokemon, but those stats combined with a pure psychic type make me think badly this is a high-tier ou pokemon.
Acutally, I'm personally hoping for an OU test. :3

edit: 333rd post. jolly chomp would be proud of me.

It is ridiculous what this thing can survive. It can take pretty much every Choice Scarf attack at full health (except maybe Sazandora's Choice Scarf Dark Pulse, although, who the heck uses Dark Pulse on a Choice Scarf Sazandora?) and then murder you. Even with MIN/MIN, this thing survives pretty much everything and with Nasty Plot, can proceed to sweep you, which I would love to see to show people how uber this thing is. Same with Manaphy but this is about Mew. Note that these calculations could also be made for Manaphy (except the Scarf Dark Pulse which is neutral on Manaphy).

Choice Scarf Garchomp Outrage: 57.31-67.84% Ko with Icebeam
Choice Scarf Ononokonsu Outrage: 62.57-73.98% Ko with Icebeam
Choice Band Adamant Onononkonsue Outrage 103.51-121.93% (but it will survive behind Reflect), faster, Ko with Icebeam
Choice Scarf Tyranitar Pursuit if you stay in: 39.18%-47.37% (because leading off with Crunch is dangerous, especially now with Justice Heart) OHKO with +2 Life Orb Aura Sphere

Damage tp Erufuun unboosted Flamethrower/Icebeam does: Always 2 hit ko unless they don't invest in hp and special defense at all in which case, Life Orb unboosted OHKOs.

Choice Scarf Sazandora Draco Meteor: 64.91-76.61%, Ko with +2 Aura Sphere/Icebeam with Life Orb, unboosted and Life Orb, 75.69%-89.23%

Choice Scarf Sazandora Dark Pulse: 74.27-88.30%

Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch: 47.37%-56.14%, only 20% chance for 2 hit ko if running Leftovers. Kill with Flamethrower, or heavily dent with +2 Life Orb Aura Sphere for 74.34-87.76%.

And behind Screens and with Max hp and 72 evs in defense invested:

Adamant Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch: 50.50-59.90%

Swords Dance +2 Life Orb Adamant Ononokonsu Outrage: 70.74-83.17%

Choice Scarf Tyranitar Crunch (who by the way does not OHKO min/min Mew with Crunch even with Sandstorm unless it has Sandstorm damage):31.19-37.13%

Mew also is an amazing Screener. It is even better than Cresselia who you'd at first think would be better because of higher hp and defenses. However, Mew has speed, and something Cresselia would kill for: a good recovery move that actually works in Sandstorm and weather. In any weather but Sun, Moonlight is bad only restoring 25% health. Roost/Softboiled will always heal 50%. Also, Mew can also scout in and out with U-Turn, instead of switching which also dents Tyranitar and Erufuun a little instead of just switching. It is a reuseable screener, and Mew is very bulky.

MEW IS GOOD AT BULK AND OFFENSE. Few things can outrun it that can ko it and a lot of them are Choice Scarfers. Choice Scarfers can't ko a min/min and Mew is bulkier than Swampert. Plus, it outruns most dragons and can kill them with an easy Icebeam as well as having a move for anything else you want to cover with Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Psycho Shock (which isn't entirely necessary but fun if Blissey shows up again), Psychic, Dragon Pulse, or physical options like Dragon Tail, Dragon Claw, Outrage, Earthquake, Drain Punch, Zen Heabutt, Wild Bolt, Waterfall, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, and on and on.

I don't see the point of Block sets when you can just lure Tyranitar in, then U-Turn out to something that can scare it out and boost. If you're block-U-Turning, why not just U-Turn and save a move slot? Also, Nasty Plot Life Orb Aura Sphere will ALWAYS kill it, no matter what set it's running. Scizor is heavily dented/koed because most people aren't going to use Bug Bite. Ditto doesn't work so well because Mew has no moves to hit super-effective on itself (with sets like Aura Sphere/Icebeam, Flamethrower/Psycho Shock, etc) and with +2 Icebeam/Flamethrower does 50.58-59.65%. Then you know what it will choose to run because it's locked in and switch in your own Pursuiter (Tyranitar would be fun) and watch Ditto die. Erufuun can be annoying but it risks death and you can do the Magic Coat thing (when did Mew get Magic Coat anyways?). Mew is amazing at attacking and defense. This thing is way amazing. It is Uber.

I'm still praying for it to get Mischievious Heart next game like it should have gotten that would overwhelmingly make it Uber and actually good there. It is STILL GOOD there. People seriously underestimate Mew because it was bad in Ubers...only because Ubers smack with 150 base attacking stats, double stabbed rain surfs, Swords Extremespeeds and so on and so forth. It is hard for Mew to compete with that there. But in OU...oh god. Why aren't people using this when they can? It is so freaking cute and scary! But cute!

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
IMO, spiritomb is probably the best mew counter you can find. Mew will probably try to set up on you, but you can just trick a choice band onto it and proceed to wall him all day.

I don't use Mew (yet), but I've kind of always wanted too. I hope he doesn't get banned. He has the potential to be devastating, but he isn't as immediately threatening as things like Garchomp and Doryuzuu.

...hell, maybe I should consider using the sims just to show Mew's potential. I have to say, I honestly wouldn't mind Mew being banned if people started to appreciate why it was banned in the first place, same as so many people in here are starting to. :P

Bumping this up. Mew could use some more attention... outside of Lee's cool new BP set, I haven't really seen too many new sets suggested. :0

C'mon, isn't ANYone using Mew? D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)