Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

So I regenerated the world with the exact same mods and seed. It's identical, but the fortress has mysteriously disappeared... I have no idea what caused it to appear.

I'll go back to playing the save with the fortress though; it's way too awesome to pass up. I blame HIM.
Speaking of HIM, what is that little yellow thing near the bottom-right of the picture? It looks kinda like a person without a head and holding a sword or rapier.

Hey guys.
I've been playing a lot of this on my desktop, and just recently
downloaded it to the laptop. Problem is, every time that I try and log in, it
gives me an error report regarding my video card drivers.

I updated them via the Intel website, but am still getting the error.
I know that this isn't a thread dedicated to helping the computer un-savy,
but I thought I'd ask in case it was a simple fix.

Hoping that I can get this all behind me and enjoy the game again.

The Error report

Bad video card drivers!
-----------------------

Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.
This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 7fe0271 --------
Generated 2/10/11 3:28 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft Beta 1.2_02
Java: 1.6.0_23, Sun Microsystems Inc.
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
LWJGL: 2.4.2
[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:243)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:606)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT c2e46763 ----------

It's likely just that. You're laptop doesn't have a video card that's good enough to run Minecraft. Despite how blocky and "old" it looks, it still does some hefty things with lighting and transparency. The solution would be to buy a newer graphics card for your laptop, unless I'm completely wrong.

Despite how blocky and "old" it looks, it still does some hefty things with lighting and transparency.
Actually I'm pretty sure the bulk of the resource heaviness has to do with the programming; the game isn't coded very efficiently. Lighting and transparency aren't a big deal. I can run Resident Evil 5 better than Minecraft (I have a gaming laptop). His video card should be able to handle it, but he didn't give any details about the card so I may be mistaken.

But yeah Smogon isn't the best place to ask for technical help with the game. Just a quick google search shows that you're not the only one with the problem. Best help I could find is this, but there doesn't seem to be some univseral foolproof fix for the error.

intel chipsets that aren't the Ions can't do much at all really, you'd be surprised at the terrible hardware that gets put even into desktop computers these days.

Actually I'm pretty sure the bulk of the resource heaviness has to do with the programming; the game isn't coded very efficiently. Lighting and transparency aren't a big deal. I can run Resident Evil 5 better than Minecraft (I have a gaming laptop). His video card should be able to handle it, but he didn't give any details about the card so I may be mistaken.
Yeah, I guess the programming does do more, but a lot of people seem to say, "oh why do I need a graphics card? The game looks all blocky!" That was more of my point.

I've gotten a similar error with older computers and it was the graphics card, but that's going off of my memory on what the error looked like.

So in case anyone has been wondering where I went off to. I was building this:

its a two story, 37x24x10 mansion

I can essentially live in it without ever having to go outside.

Bottom floor (5 pics)

The first picture is the great room, it is the central hub of the downstairs, you can see the forge room and the mine in that picture, but there are 4 rooms that line the outside of the room.

The second picture is my mine. I'm planning on replacing that grass with black sheep wool, so chickens and pigs will stop spawning in my mine.

The third picture is my green room, I tend to have a ton of chickens spawn in it, so I decided to just keep it as it is. A couple animals tend to spawn in there every time I'm in my house, its quite useful.

The fourth picture is my forge room. Its got a wool floor and cobble and wood walls. Not too much to say.

The fifth picture is my chest/workbench room. Again, not much to say.

In the first picture there is a staircase, which leads to this:

That is the upstairs of the mansion. I'm not too sure what I want to do with it yet, so suggestions would be useful!

It has a balcony across from the stairwell, which gives me views like this:

Anyways, that is what I've been up to. The texture mod I'm using is the legopak, which is purely for nostalgia's sake, but I also like the wood texture on the legopak, so its a bonus.

There's a livestream with the machinima guys and Notch tonight, he'll be taking questions and stuff! I won't be able to watch unfortunately I'll be out of town and won't be playing likely all weekend. I'll miss all you guys except maybe forks.

www.machinimalive.com

Don't have too much impressive going on--basic wheat, sugarcane, and cactus farms, a monster farm, and a lava moat surrounding an ugly house. Recently though my mob spawn rate plummeted for some reason. It was zero before I redownloaded Minecraft and afterwards I've literally seen one aggressive mob in about 5 hours (and yes I made sure it wasn't on peaceful). Hell, I've only seen 1 sheep and 3 cows (all spawned at the same time) in that amount of time. I honestly don't know what's going on. Anyone else have this problem?

The giant pixel art of Spheal I created is done! I don't have a picture of it, since I don't know where the screenshots are stored on my Mac, but I'm looking!

To see the glory of Spheal in its entirety, simply take the path to Skysoar from LSB. You can't miss it!

There's a spheal in all its roly poly glory nearby the entrance of skysoar. Not that you could miss it with the huge lava filled sign! I'll leave it up to Dan to show off the place properly with one of his videos.

I've been on the smogcraft server a while now and I'm still finding new things people have made. It would help if I actually ran around the place a bit instead of staying holed up around blue moon lagoon but still!

What goes on in Hamsterdam, stays in Hamsterdam..... or not!

And I finally got my P2 skin <3

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
RG's skin is excellent, I must say.

Not to detract from the awesomeness of Dan's skin either, Wyv did a really good job there.

I'll just wallow in my nerdy, basic representation of myself then... Unless someone can make me a really good skin? There's a challenge :P

Welcome to Eagleview Lodge, a completely impromptu design inspired by the INCOMING DARKNESS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)