Ladder Mix and Mega

Implemented Mega Stone viability rankings in the OP with Lukethehedgehog's help.

Can't copy/paste xJownage's latest version of the Pokémon Viability Rankings. :(

The Council will be voting on Shadow Tag in 2 days, given the lack of discussion. Anybody who has anything else to say, say it before then.

Mega Mawile gets a boost in firepower through Medichamite, not to mention Speed, but I have difficulty imagining it being much more highly ranked than whatever it is in Ubers -maybe even less, due to all the other things running around.

No commentary on Suicune. Haven't seen it in action, and have never fully understood what factors lead to it being so powerful in so many OMs.

No commentary on Meloetta. I dunno where its utility lies relative to other Pokémon -it can presumably do shenanigans with Pirouette Forme, but these seem gimmicky and unhelpful, and otherwise it has to compare to myriad other Psychic types. Is the added Normal typing worthwhile? It does provide immunity to Ghost... dunno.

Rhyperior obviously appreciates all the type-changing Mega Stones. Too bad there's no type-changing Mega Stone with Regenerator to grant it healing...

I don't see what you'd use Mesprit for. It's generally going to be outclassed by Azelf or Uxie in any given role you try to build it for, not even looking at other, less similar Pokémon.

... oh wow, Hippowdon actually getting use out of Fire Fang in a meta. Huh. Lets it potentially beat Skarmory, in fact.

4 Atk Hippowdon (Red Orb) Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Sun: 168-198 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of course, Skarmory can, in turn, be running its own Mega Stones -Sablenite, say- but this is pretty impressive, when normally Skarmory can essentially ignore Hippowdon! And this is from a Physically Defensive Hippowdon, at that. A lot more bite than I was really expecting from it, honestly.
Suicune has the best defensive stat distribution of any water type. Two thing hold it back from being ubers, that's the lack of recovery and pretty bad ability. In OM i gets the ladder and better stats.

I'd like to retort on my mega mawild nomination, Hippowdown and don sorta... Wall it to death. C-B is fine

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Suicune has the best defensive stat distribution of any water type. Two thing hold it back from being ubers, that's the lack of recovery and pretty bad ability. In OM i gets the ladder and better stats.

I'd like to retort on my mega mawild nomination, Hippowdown and don sorta... Wall it to death. C-B is fine
Yeah suicune's a bitch to deal with in most OM because that great bulk, pure water typing, and access to calm mind. Not many electric or grass types break it on the physical side or the special side after a cm boost or two.

So my computer is back up- I might be able to do a battle or two tomorrow evening, in case anyone's interested.

Anyways, it looks like Mix and Mega is coming in 2nd again... But hey, at least it's getting attention.

So my computer is back up- I might be able to do a battle or two tomorrow evening, in case anyone's interested.

Anyways, it looks like Mix and Mega is coming in 2nd again... But hey, at least it's getting attention.
That sucks, I was really hoping to battle in the ladder :( Better luck next month.

There is one thing that holds back Suicune here. It's Red Orb. Suicune usually carry Resttalk, Calm Mind and Scald being the only attacking move. That means it can't do anything in harsh Sun, as Red Orb users are immune to Water. So with Red Orb around, well, it's viability has decreased.

There is one thing that holds back Suicune here. It's Red Orb. Suicune usually carry Resttalk, Calm Mind and Scald being the only attacking move. That means it can't do anything in harsh Sun, as Red Orb users are immune to Water. So with Red Orb around, well, it's viability has decreased.
Sorry, double posting cuz I missed this some how.

I'd agree with this holding it back from S, but I still think that's not enough to stop it from moving up to A. Scald is so controversial because nothing can comfortably switch in on it, except red orb stuff, the one real exception, is incredibly common. Once their one red orb mon is gone, there's really nothing stopping it. It's not cresselia level borked, but super solid, all the same.

I looked up Rhyperior to think about how he'd play with Red Orb; he'd actually be similar to Primal Groudon to an extent. Much slower, with a fair bit less Special Defense and a lot less Special Attack -- but from the physical side they are close.

Primal Groudon: 100/180/160
"Primal" Rhyperior: 115/170/150

They even use the same physical attacks: Earthquake, likely Stone Edge, Fire Punch. Both can boost with Swords Dance or Rock Polish. Both can phaze with Dragon Tail.

Like the tier needs any more Red Orb abusers, but, hell. Why not?

I looked up Rhyperior to think about how he'd play with Red Orb; he'd actually be similar to Primal Groudon to an extent. Much slower, with a fair bit less Special Defense and a lot less Special Attack -- but from the physical side they are close.

Primal Groudon: 100/180/160
"Primal" Rhyperior: 115/170/150

They even use the same physical attacks: Earthquake, likely Stone Edge, Fire Punch. Both can boost with Swords Dance or Rock Polish. Both can phaze with Dragon Tail.

Like the tier needs any more Red Orb abusers, but, hell. Why not?
I'm wondering though- does it grant ANYTHING over groudon? Like, at all?

It would be hilarious w/ heracronite tho. Skill link rock blast for days

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does it even have a wider movepool though? (Specifically support movepool.) groudon's actually got a great movepool, and I doubt rhyperior gets lava plume or Twave.
I'd say Slack Off may just be better than Thunder Wave and Lava Plume, recovery really is great and makes it hard to wear down, and it also gets Yawn if that's your thing. In general Hippowdon usually wants all its slots already, so I don't think it is too "jealous" of Primal Groudon.

I'd say Slack Off may just be better than Thunder Wave and Lava Plume, recovery really is great and makes it hard to wear down, and it also gets Yawn if that's your thing. In general Hippowdon usually wants all its slots already, so I don't think it is too "jealous" of Primal Groudon.
I meant rhyperior- hippo I think is actually better than Pdon for a lot of defensive roles. It doesn't have as much offensive presence, but it has better bulk when you take slack off into account

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rhyperior seems like it's a matter of offensive vs. supportive movepool indeed. While Rhyperior has some things like Megahorn and Ice Punch, I'd feel like PGroudon is generally better, since it doesnt' really need coverage that badly in my opinion, and Lava Plume is usually better than Fire Punch, and Rhyperior doesn't get any special support options besides Dragon Tail, which can easily be replaced with Roar. Both get Swords Dance and Rock Polish anyway.

Actually, Rhyperior gets Avalanche for fairly strong Ice coverage (120 if the enemy attacks), Crunch for Dark coverage, Focus Punch for SubPunch shenanigans, Metal Burst is great, Superpower for surprise Fighting coverage of maximum power (Particularly noteworthy if you decide to run Rhyperior with Lopunnite or Mewtonite X), and has access to Water coverage. (Low relevance for a Red orb Rhyperior, but potentially useful against a Blue Orb opponent that expects to neuter you by switching in -Blue Orb Forretress, say)

Rhyperior is also superior for Trick Room teams in general, being much slower.

Most teams would probably rather run Primal Groudon if they're seriously considering Red Orb Rhyperior, though.

canno

formerly The Reptile
yea rhyperior doesn't replace pdon at all. It lacks the support movepool (twave, lava plume (burn chance), roar as an alternative to dtail). The only things it has support wise is rocks and dtail.

Alright, so I was curious about this. What does Rhyperior have over Primal groudon?

groudon.gif rhyperior-f.gif Dream_Flame_Orb_Sprite.png

Dun-dun dun!!!

The effects of Red orb are as follows
- User gets a stat boost of +30 attack, +20 defence and +50 special attack
- User gains the ability desolate land, inducing harsh sunlight negating water type attacks
- User gains secondary fire typing

So Primal Ground will have the stat spread of 100/180/160/150/90/90

So Rhyperior will have the stat spread of
115/170/150/110/55/40

Now as you can see the only stat that Rhyperior has over Primal Groudon is health, but does that matter in the big picture? Lets take a look!

0 Atk Mew Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 72-85 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

0 Atk Mew Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior: 76-90 (20.4 - 24.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

So... Primal Groudon is in fact more physically defensive. On the special side...

0 SpA Mew Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 118-139 (34.6 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Mew Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rhyperior: 174-205 (46.9 - 55.2%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO

Well... Not unexpected, verdict? In terms of stats Primal Groudon outclasses Rhyperior in every possible way, outside of trick room.

Now it comes to coverage, both Rhyperior and Groudon have diverse and large movepools to hit every single pokemon super effectively.

With its original and most used coverage in Dragon, Fire, Ground and Rock it can hit 480 pokemon effectively, leaving 289 behind. But that's only four types, it still has Grass coverage, Ghost coverage, Electric coverage and Fighting coverage, leaving very few reliable switch ins behind. Keep in mind these are powerful moves Earthquake, Eruption, Thunderbolt, Solar beam, Stone edge, Dragon claw and Shadow claw, moves that hit reliably hard coming of a base 180 attack.

Now when it comes to Rhyperior has more coverage, but not really better coverage. There's very little that's going to be hit harder by Avalanche than Preciples blades, especially at +2. You should also consider that Primal Groudon outspeeds anything at +2 something Rhyperior cannot do.

In terms of coverage and offensive capabilities Primal Groudon outclassed Rhyperior

But this does not mean Rhyperior is completely outclassed, its still got the pleasure of being usable in Trick room, though trick room is pretty bad in any metagame except Linked.

TL;DR Don't use Red orb Rhyperior, offensive is outclassed by Primal Groudon while defensive is outclassed by Hippowdown. Rhyperior has better things to do than be a red orb user.

I can see Altarianite Salamence being used

Mega Salamence

Type: Dragon/Flying -> Dragon/Fairy

Stats:

HP: 95 -> 95 (duh)
Atk: 135 -> 175
Def: 80 -> 100
SpA: 110 -> 150
SpD: 80 -> 80
Spe: 100 -> 100

The attack and special attack stats become insane!!, the defenses may not be that great, but the Dragon/Fairy type is really good and lacks of a 4x Weakness to Ice Shard
Also, Pure SpA Mega-Mence becomes way more viable, even more viable than Pure SpA Mega-Altaria!!!!!!

I can see Altarianite Salamence being used

Mega Salamence

Type: Dragon/Flying -> Dragon/Fairy

Stats:

HP: 95 -> 95 (duh)
Atk: 135 -> 175
Def: 80 -> 100
SpA: 110 -> 150
SpD: 80 -> 80
Spe: 100 -> 100

The attack and special attack stats become insane!!, the defenses may not be that great, but the Dragon/Fairy type is really good and lacks of a 4x Weakness to Ice Shard
Also, Pure SpA Mega-Mence becomes way more viable, even more viable than Pure SpA Mega-Altaria!!!!!!
Yeah, but what's it got going for it that Dnite doesn't? Sky Barney gets Espeed, and is basically the superior of the two in that regard

This is false. Rhyperior is in fact more physically bulky(though only marginally) which means Rhyperior has one set it can run better than either don or hippo: Physical Tank
Yes, but hippo gets slack off, so, in reality, it doesn't even do that as well

Last edited:
No, they do not. Hippowdon is best suited to walling, Pridon is best suited to sweeping/wallbreaking/mixed attacking and Rhy is best suited to tanking of the three simply because of the EV limit. This isn't CH, you can't put EVs in every stat and have a good set 99% of the time.

No, they do not. Hippowdon is best suited to walling, Pridon is best suited to sweeping/wallbreaking/mixed attacking and Rhy is best suited to tanking of the three simply because of the EV limit. This isn't CH, you can't put EVs in every stat and have a good set 99% of the time.
Show me a relevant calc that shows an attack that hippo can't survive the 2hko that rhyperior can and I'll believe you. However, given the fact that hippo has recovery (something that is absolutely invaluable in this meta), I'd say that it is defenitwly the superior of the two for defensive roles.

Show me a relevant calc that shows an attack that hippo can't survive the 2hko that rhyperior can and I'll believe you. However, given the fact that hippo has recovery (something that is absolutely invaluable in this meta), I'd say that it is defenitwly the superior of the two for defensive roles.
I'm not arguing that it outclasses Hippo as a wall I'm saying it outclasses it as a physical tank(as in a mon that both takes and deals attacks). While it is true that Rhy is physically bulkier I'm not arguing that. Hippo is best suited to investing in Def, SpD, and HP to the point that any other set is sub-par on it, especially when Rhy can hit harder than it. Ergo, if you want to use more than one attack don't use hippo. Pridon is best suited to Atk and Spe or Atk and HP(for more supporting roles) meaning that if you want a hard hitting attacker that can sop up physical attack you should use Rhy not Pridon

Snaquaza

KACAW
I'm not arguing that it outclasses Hippo as a wall I'm saying it outclasses it as a physical tank(as in a mon that both takes and deals attacks). While it is true that Rhy is physically bulkier I'm not arguing that. Hippo is best suited to investing in Def, SpD, and HP to the point that any other set is sub-par on it, especially when Rhy can hit harder than it. Ergo, if you want to use more than one attack don't use hippo. Pridon is best suited to Atk and Spe or Atk and HP(for more supporting roles) meaning that if you want a hard hitting attacker that can sop up physical attack you should use Rhy not Pridon
It's still not worth it as a tank imo, seeing as you have way lower Special bulk and only marginally higher Physical bulk. Even if you're a physical bulk, the reduced power, speed and special bulk is never worth it, unless it avoids a very specific 2HKO, but I don't think it will with this extremely small difference.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Physical tanks would rather the recovery to begin with, and considering hippowdon still does similar damage as rypherior, I would agree in the notion that hippowdon generally outclasses rypherior with red orb. Also, remember that Hippowdon has phasing, as does pdon, which is good for a bulky tank.

Most bulky tank roles in standard run recovery. Porygon2, for example, runs recovery. The best ones generally are enhanced by having a recovery move, being able to abuse their massive bulk to switch-in multiple times to threats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)