Mix'd sweeper empoleon

I've been thinking about a MiX'd sweeping Empoleon. the plan is that I start giving him a +2 speed boost from ninjask to outrun everything below 418 speed.

serebii link: http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/395.shtml
smogon analyses link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20697&highlight=empoleon

[THE SET]
empoleon @ life orb
nature: mild (+spA, - def)
EVs: 48 Atk / 248 spA / 214 spd
moves:
~Swords Dance
~Aqua Jet
~Ice Beam/Grass Knot (dont know which one is best for my team)
~Surf/Hydro Cannon (HC is just for surprise / fun / when in 'torrent' ability

[COMMENT]
after getting him in you use Sword Dance. because you switched in you will lose HP from their attack, but I guess empoleon can survive it. when they see you Sword Dance'd they think you're going to do a physical attack, thus switching a physical wall/tank in. this is where the fun starts. don't use Aqua Jet, but use a special attack instead! :naughty: now that they are (possibly) on low health finish them of using one of your attacks. if you used a special attack, they still don't know you've got a +1 priority move, which is always good.

[EVs]
these EVs gives empoleon 220 Atk, 352 spAtk, 209 speed. coincidently the speed is enough to outrun choice scarf Heatran when EMPY got his +2 speed from ninjask. don't know if that one Heatran is common, but earth power is quite strong... 352 spAtk instead of 353 because I don't wanna waste EV points (lol 352 instead of 353.1, I hate that .1, wasted EVs) and 220 was a nice number which becomes 440 when sword dances. I don't know much about those damage calcuations (not gonna do that, I dont wanna win because I ran calculations, I'm no robot. I don't mean that anyone who calculates for like ''101.45-107.65% damage things'' are robots, but that is just not how I like to play pokemon.
---
you can also just leave the Spd passes from ninjask and the Spd EVs, cuz you attack when they switch, and making speed unimportant (I think). the EVs can be put in HP/Defences. for Trick Room Empoleon (might work),
you can also run Quiet(+0 spd IVs), so you dont lose the defence points, and making yourself faster under Trick Room.

[OPINION]
to be honest I don't have this set-up myself but theoretically it sounds great and fun to use. may add more in here with things other people think about this..

well.... I guess I've read too many analyses with all those [SET] and [COMMENT], but I think that makes it easier to know where you are, while losing track of where you were :P I think I really need some comments, because I have a feeling people will laugh at this set because it doesn't work or for whatever reason.

thanks for reading,
Fighterman X

He mainly depends on Ninjask, which is bad. The pokemon should be able to fight individually, while fitting the team and teamworking nicely with other creatures. Ehhh... any strong slow sweeper would be good with +2 speed passed to it...

I think I said that you could do with no speed EVs as you're attacking while others switch, and you've got a priority move. I don't think it really needs the speed, it's just a nice thing to have in there.

You are better off sticking to Empoleon's better attack stat in Special as well as its Defensive stats and training its EVs in HP, Def, Special Defense for Special Sweeping.

Attacks that work for Empoleon to attack with are: Bubblebeam, Surf, Brine, Ice Beam (counters Grounds)...others can add to what I missed.

Point is that I had a friend who used an Empoleon to take on a Sandslash and her Empoleon got slaughtered by one Earthquake while her Aqua Jet didn't even scratch it.

@whitesky12480
did that friend run any attack EVs/neutral or + nature/sword dance?

and oh yeah.... 110 defence is quite bad, and I don't think I would use a physical attack on him, but if I predict bad and attack it instead with aqua jet, yeah that can happen. I also understand he's better of using his other stats, but I dont think it means that I shouldn't use both sides of attacks. especially since his attack isn't that bad...

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
In all honesty, this is a pretty poor gimmick. Even with Swords Dance, Empoleon will not hurt Blissey/Cresselia significantly; I'd suggest a physical attack over the third slot and a more offensively based EV spread if you must use this.

This wouldn't work very well. After SDing, Aqua Jet will do okay damage, but it's nothing that's going to threaten a physical wall. Many, many other pokemon would be a better target for Ninjask to BP speed to.

okay, I will see things over :-) I guess I change around the EV's a bit more offensively or something, but more about that tomorrow

If you want to go with this idea, I would just use Octillery instead. 105 base points in both attacking stats means it can utilize a mixed sweeper set much better. It doesn't have to rely on Ninjask for a speed boost even if he falls down, although it is great to use if you get them. Waterfall / Ice Beam / Flamethrower / Return is somewhat ideal for a mixed set, as it has greater coverage and you don't need to kill Blissey first, as Waterfall can readily dent it (does 29.97% - 35.29%with Life Orb and no initial EV investment into Attack to ones with 252 HP / 252 Def,, an SD from Jask makes that 59.52% - 70.03%,A 2HKO). Overall, Octillery might be the better choice

good morning! I've been thinking alot about my set, and came to the conclusion this will indeed not work. my new plan is just to make my own special wall/tank set. it will not be like the one in the analysis, but it will be similar. thanks for the replies though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)