MixMence Based Team

Hello all,

So this is my first foray into creating a Gen 6 team. Used to play a lot back in Advance and the early DPP days and as such have grown fond of a particularly dominant dragon Pokemon from back in the day. This is a team that I came up with built around that particular dragon Pokemon.

Building the Team

Salamence has always been one of my favorite Pokemon. And as such he is the face of this team.

Added Mawile to form an offensive core. They also are able to switch in on each other's weaknesses. And they give me a double Intimidate core to dampen physical attackers.

Added Ferrothorn to give the team a defensive juggernaut.

Added Heatran to absorb fire attacks aimed at Ferrothorn.

Added Rotom-W for a FWG defensive core to supplement my offensive core.

Added Scizor for a Volt-Turn core and to provide revenge killing presence on this team.

The Move Sets

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 116 Atk / 216 SAtk / 176 Spd
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

This thing is a pretty darn amazing wallbreaker. Draco Meteor rips through anything that doesn't resist it. And people usually bring in something physically bulky on the switch and get dented by Draco Meteor as a result. Fire Blast is for steels and Earthquake hits those steels that resist Fire Blast (Heatran in particular). Roost gives him survivability. Considering giving him Brick Break over EQ to hit Kanga. Which could get problematic as I can't protect stall him with Ferrothorn.

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Swords Dance ramps up his power output to amazing heights. And combined with Huge Power, he has terrifying late game power. Intimidate allows him to come in on physical Pokemon and use the switch to mega evolve. Sucker Punch allows him to be a form of revenge killer as well. He is still incredibly fragile though and oftentimes dies before he can sweep everything. It is a bit difficult to switch him into anything and I don't think he makes a good lead either so it can be kind of hard to find a turn to get him to mega evolve him. But I usually find chances anyway as he actually handily resists all of what hits mence for SE!

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Standard Ferrothorn set. The main defensive cog of this team. Also happens to be my safest switch in to Gyarados until I can confirm that they don't run mega. The buff to grass types has also made him an adequate switch in to Breloom as he now cannot be hit by Spore. Gyro Ball hits speed boosters really hard and actually. The Spikes are good for residual damage although it is rare to be able to set all 3 layers without them being spun away.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Protect

I have never used a defensive Heatran even when I played DPP briefly but this has actually worked really well. Also provides me another hazard setter. He also loves taking the fire attacks that could be aimed at 3 members of the team. Protect helps with scouting for random HP Ground hits and also helps with letting his Lefties heal him up. Phazing also stops boosters in their tracks. And since he primarily handles fire pokemon, his ability to setup rocks and then shuffle the enemy team also helps with making sure that fire types aren't switching in without getting dented. I am very pleasantly surprised with the effectiveness of Heatran as a full support Pokemon.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Standard Rotom-W which pretty much everyone and their mother knows about by now. He is still really good and is able to do his job well. Also one of my safer switch-ins to Talonflame and can switch in to Gyarados with impunity once I have confirmed that he isn't of a mega variety. Volt Switch is an incredible momentum-grabbing tool and lets me scout what to switch to next. Will-o-Wisp also helps cripple physical attackers, which helps Mawile a lot when he is in mega form as he has a pretty good Defense stat.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Standard CB Scizor. Provides me a Volt-Turn core and his strong Bullet Punches can help secure kills on Pokemon dented with hazards. His slow U-Turn and ability to force switches also give switch-in opportunities to Salamence and Mawile who are the two main heavy hitters on the team. He is pretty much my number 1 revenge killing option and I am actually considering fitting in Quick Attack over Pursuit to give me an additional priority move for opposing Fire types.

Potential things to improve on/Issues encountered on playtesting
- The abundance of steel types has made certain Pokemon problematic. Infernape in particular has a field day vs this team.
- Mold Breaker EQs. Excadrill is a bit of a pain to deal with. Mega Gyara is also problematic in this regard.

There you go. Tear this team apart folks.

Importable
Salamence @ Life Orb
EVs: 116 Atk / 216 SAtk / 176 Spd
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Protect

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, I enjoy your team, it is very balanced and I see yet ANOTHER Rotom-W (almost all of the RMTs that I read either have Talonflame, Excadrill, or Rotom-w). But, I prefer a ChestoRest over Pain Split on Rotom-W. If your opponet predicts a Pain Split, Rotom-W might end up giving lifespan to the opponent, and that's not good, especially if they are powerful. Also, I agree with changing Pursuit with Quick attack, as it will leave you better off with priority to hit pokemon like Gyarados, if you had trouble dealing with him. Other than that, I don't see much problems in the team.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, I really like the use of wallbreaker mence, its so underrated and actually not that bad of a set. It really helps wear down walls that block mega mawile and everything! However, as always, im here to help give you some advice!

First off, I would run 252 HP/ 248 Def/ 8 Spe Bold on rotom-wash. Running 220 spe is used mainly to outspeed Mamoswine, however you dont really need to outspeed it with Rotom-W. Its best move is going to be Superpower or Stone Edge, the first of which doesn't 2hko Rotom and the latter of which is Stone Edge. So yeah. This gives you even more insurance against physical attackers like azumarill and talonflame, allowing you better longevity (fuck, i use that word a lot). Regardless, Rotom is a really good pivot this generation. The only other thing I would change off the top of my head is to run Rocky Helmet on Ferrothorn and Iron Plate on Scizor. The first helps against random things like lucario extremespeeds, aegislash shadow sneaks, azumarill, talonflame Brave Bird (and u turn if banded), Scizor, Mega Kangaskhan's Return, among others. It can also make a nice revenge kill in a pinch, albeit indirectly. The latter change is to help more with team pivoting and stuff, as you really dont want to be locked into a momentum killer like Pursuit. Speaking of Pursuit, your team really has no trouble with Ghost types or Psychic types, so you could try Knock Off>Pursuit when U Turn might not be the best option (lol when is that?) but its useful for knocking off things like leftovers or Life Orb or Eviolite or something. Remember, you have to watch out for those Eviolite Golbats that one Uncharted Territory user is using!

Anyway, I enjoy the solidarity of this team, and i wish you good luck with your team! Also, remember to thank the based god!
EDIT: 8 Spe on Rotom speed creeps opposing 4 Spe toms, allowing you to switch to heatran for the toxic/WoW

Last edited:
Thanks for the rates!

The added bulk for Rotom-W lets him handle Mixnape a lot better and seeing as he and Ferrothorn alternate between switching on most physical threats, the added longevity is indeed nice. Hm, Knock Off might be a good suggestion. Knocking off random items would definitely be nice. I would try out Chesto-Rest Rotom-W but I find that I tend to rely on him a lot to check a lot of threats. The passive recovery from Leftovers is something really nice to have.

Gyarados has been less of a problem of late as I find Ferro seems to handle both forms nicely. Excadrill is still a bit of a problematic pokemon. Salamence's Fire Blast might be my best bet or burning them with Rotom-W when they try to SD in his face.

On additional testing, Zapdos and Thundurus presented a bit of a problem. Zapdos punched through Heatran with Superpower and handles mence with HP Ice. Thundurus is much the same although I think Heatran handles him a bit better. I might've just misplayed though. Although something else to come in on special attacks might be a welcome addition to my team. Although not sure where I could fit such a pokemon in.

Also what does anyone think of Brick Break over EQ? Blissey users seem to think they can switch in with impunity on Salamence once they realize I'm running mixed (which, by then, usually means I've dented something with Draco Meteor anyway). Wish-Passing variants seem to be a problem as it easily negates the damage that the surprise Draco Meteors hit (if they successfully Wish Pass)

What.
And stick with eq imo, you have scizor to threaten blissey
might not be remembering it correctly, but I do recall an electric type that blasted a superpower at Heatran. Or maybe I shouldn't play before getting my morning coffee anymore. >.<

EDIT: On second thought, it might be a Focus Blast from Thundurus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)