Moltres: a forgotten bird. Discussion

that same gengar can OHKO relatively easily with a life orb and a neutral nature (97-111) so it's quite a gamble there too. i might switch out of gengars just to be sure.
Thats the thing: It needs a Life Orb to kill Moltres, meaning the opponent's Gengar doesn't have a Scarf and it will die to Overheat.

EDIT: Also, Moltres has an interesting set of resistances. It resists Breloom and MixApe (4x resist grass, 2x resist fighting, 2x resist fire). It is a good switch-in to Heracross w/o Stone Edge and has a nice Earthquake immunity.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a small note: Like Magmortar, a max-SA natured Life Orb Overheat OHKOs Hippowdon over 90% of the time.

Also, you don't have Moltres' Ground immunity listed.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just put Moltres on one of my teams yesterday.

Sarenji uses Flamethrower, Roost, Substitute, Toxic, and it's pretty cool. :toast:

So yeah, I have a feeling Moltres use will jump this month. It has a thread, I'm using it, etc..

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
to nitpick, on a specs set you could put extrasensory for infernape on there if your team had problems with infernape leads. i only mention it because it gets it from xd and you forgot it on the op.

Charizard and Ho-Oh completely overshadow Moltres. It's probably the worst of the bird trio in my opinion.
Completely different pokemon aside, Charizard doesn't learn U-Turn, which is key in this set's strategy when playing against a Heatran switch-in.

Also, you don't have Moltres' Ground immunity listed.
Thats a rather important omission... which is a massive advantage over Heatran and Infernape. Thx for pointing it out.

EDIT: I probably cannot emphisize how much U-Turn is necessary and helpful for this particular strategy (and conversely, a trapper pokemon like Dugtrio is needed for it to be in its full effect).

Dugtrio rapes almost every single typical switch-in to Moltres's Overheat except for a Gyarados switch-in (who dies to Air Slash if it ever gets flinched). However, there is a chance that the opponent doesn't switch out, in which case you decide. U-Turn always moves after the switch, so you can decide whatever is best for the situation, even if the opponent doesn't switch out instantly.

Oh, and Extrasensory is weaker than Air Slash. Air Slash gives you STAB and 30% flinch, while hitting Bugs, Fighting and Grass for super-effective. Extrasensory hits only Fighting and Poison and with only 20% flinch. That 30% flinch-rate is amazing, turning hypnosis into only a 49% chance of happening. The flinch-hax is very useful.

You've convinced me to try it out sometime :) :)
are these immense guides normal here on smogon by the way?? o.o

EDIT: even though I have a limited knowladge of it I'm going to build a team around it :)

Id like to point out that Extrasensory could go on the useful Special attack list. Its hard to get but works very well if you can. I managed to get a Timid one with extrasensory and it works very well as a sweeper.

thats weird that you would make a moltress thread, i just started using it like two weeks ago and am greatly impressed. you and i each got the picture! there are some things i always put in a set. i always have a steel to resist rock, dragon, and ice, a flyer to resist fire, ground, and fighting, and a garchomp to resist a whole world of other weird things that threaten the first two. That 3some can tank simply by rotating out on weaknesses. Right now i have jirachi, moltress, and garchomp paired with snorlax, tangrowth, and gengar (mostly for destiny bond) most of my games with that combo are won with just two or so switching back and forth.

Been using Moltres for a while now and that SR rock weakness is his only downside. He's better than Heatran in many respects and many a Hetran have died switching into a HP Fighting.

Also since Fire is such an unresisted attack in DP OU I like to stick to the Specs set. In the Sunlight it can 2HKO Blissey with Fire Blast.

Also PHEONIX WRIGHT FTW!

Using him in my main team and he is really strong
I use a Agility/Fire Blast/Air Slash/Hp Ground one with Life Orb.He will always be in my team:heart:
Note:Sunny Day Life Orb Fire Blast punishes everything,even Blissey doesn't like it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)