Mono Ground Trick Room

My favorite pokemon are all the Ground Type. Since most ground pokemon have horrible speed stats, I thought that a Trick Room gimmick would be good for a mono-ground team. These are just the first, preliminary ideas I had, so feel free to tear it apart and give suggestions to make it work better. I chose these pokemon because they give the best type coverages to compliment each other and don't leave huge weakness exploits, but I know there are a few other pokemon that might be better.

---------------------------

REVISED TEAM

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 Atk/252 Spd/136 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

Probably makes a better lead then the TR user so I can save that for later. If the opponent starts with a sleep lead, U-turn out to Mamoswine. Aerial Ace is just to kill Breloom since Mamoswine wouldn't be able to take care of it, but it also takes out Heracross and other fighting types.

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/136 Def/122 SDef
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rocks
- Light Screen
- Grass Knot/Explosion

The Trick Room user. It comes out later in the game when it can have a chance to set up TR and maybe SRs. I can't decide between Grass Knot and Explosion. I'm leaning towards GK since I already have an exploder.

Rhyperior(M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

A really great pokemon, and it's even better in Trick Room. Straightforward, come in after TR, SD, and then sweep.

Camerupt (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 6HP/252 Atk/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Explosion
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Special Sweeper. Also straightforward.

Mamoswine(M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 124HP/252 Atk/64Def/68SpDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Avalanche

Sleep Absorber. I always get messed up by sleep leads, so I added this to help with that.

Swampert (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 speed
Jolly nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Endeavor
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Really gimicky set, but it looks fun to use late in the game after everything has been injured. Sub until it's down to 1HP, activate Salac and Torrent, and hopefully mop up the opposing team.

---------------------

OLD TEAM

Claydol @ Lum
EVs: 252 HP/136 Def/122 SDef
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Safegaurd

A sleep lead ruins this team, so lum protects from status on the first turn while I use safegaurd. The most common sleepers are Breloom, Crobat, and Gengar, so I'd switch to Flygon to take them out quickly. If the opponent isn't using a sleep lead, then I'd just use Trick Room, and then depending on the pokemon, reflect or light screen before switching to the counter. I might stick rest over one of the defense screens so it still has a way to heal without leftovers.

---
Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP/120 Atk/136 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Thunder Fang
- Roar

My sturdy physical wall. He sets up Stealth Rocks and Roars away physical attackers trying to set up. Explosion is useful after he's been worn down to clear the way for a new pokemon to get in, and Thunder Fang can hurt some waters and fliers, but is mostly there for lack of a better move.

---
Torterra (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP/20 Atk/236 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed
- Toxic

SubSeeding Torterra. It can't stay around since Trick Room doesn't last for long, but inflicting toxic and leech seed causes switches to rack up SR damage. Wood Hammer puts a dent in water types that hurt the rest of the team.

---
Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP/180 Def/90 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Avalance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Pure Physical Sweeper. Sassy helps it survive some HPgrass attacks.

---
Camerupt (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 92 HP/166 Def/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Yawn
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is my Special Sweeper. Yawn can cause a switch for some SR damage.

---
Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 120 Atk/252 Spd/136 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

This is the late game sweeper. He comes out when TR isn't activated and takes out things the other party members might be having trouble with. He's also useful at the beginning to get rid of sleeping leads. Stone Edge takes care of Crobat, and Draco Meteor cripples Gengar and Breloom.
---

The biggest problem so far is type coverage. I was thinking of switching one of these guys out for Nidoking for some more attack options. Which one would he best replace?

The other problem is that only one ground pokemon can learn Trick Room, so once he's gone, that support is over. I tried to make it so each of these pokemon can also work independently as well (Aside from Claydol of course), but sometimes it falls short. What can I do to fix this?

well i'm gonna start by assuming that this is a BL/UU team and not meant for OU play, k :D?
anyway, let us begin with the good things firth then yes?
--------------------------------
I love the pokemon hurrah!!!
I love the idea, hurrah!!!
You say STFU to electric attacks!
on to the negatives, yes :D

in this dragon driven metagame, ice is an all too common attack, and you have a 2x weakness, and two 4x weaknesses =/

running a TR team with one TRer is not very smart =/

No spinner, though spikes and SR really aren't a problem. t-spikes can cause some inconveniences =/

water hits for at least neutral on all of your pokemon, with the occasional 2x and 4x weaknesses =/

here is my solution! in any mono team, it's normally acceptable to have one wild card that doesn't fit in and covers the other weaknesses of the team quite well! For this, i recommend...

SLOWBROW!!!!

yay!!! This solves much of your troubles, resisting both water and ice and your team being immune to electric!
PLUS it trick rooms! and its slow as hell!

I'm tired now gnight, i'll add more later.

zzzzzzzzzz

If you're running Camerupt on a TR team, I'd suggest you set him as all out offensive since his defense isn't so great anyway, and he has some pretty good attack power.

I run my Camerupt with Earth Power, Eruption, HP Ice, and Explosion, while stuffing all EVs into attack and SpAtt. Despite the tempting 30% burn with Lava Plume, I prefer Eruption since no counter attack is better than a weakened counter attack. Camerupt's LO'd Eruption can do something like 47% damage to a Garchomp despite its resistance, which is somewhat scary. Explosion is in case he can't do much otherwise.

i was mortified to see no rhyperior, aguably the ebst tr poke and a ground type to boot. i'd use it over the somewhat out of place steelix

i wouldnt lead with claydol if he's your only trick roomer, and i'd make him support only camerupt (make camerupt more offensive, life orb fire blast earthquake hp ice explode is a cool set) and SD megahorn stone edge earthwuake rhyperior who are difficult to wall together.

i'd throw scarf garchomp over flygon just because.

as it is you have a big problem with anything that runs surf+ice beam, so toxic quagsire might help with that too

I didn't add Hippowdon because it doesn't have a second typing to help cover other weaknesses, I'm not sure who I would replace it with, and I don't really think sandstorm would help that much. Everyone is just immune, none of them have sand veil or any other useful trait, so I just didn't bother.

Hippowdown provides you with Stealth Rock so Claydol doesn't have to. As well as Roar, meaning Claydol can use both Grass Knot and Explosion.

Also with Sandstorm Rhyperior gets a Special Defense Boost.

Perhaps Life Orb/Expert Belt on Rhyperior, or just a Rock Incense/Stone Plate/Hard Stone so it boosts Stone Edge 20%.

Fire Blast on Camerupt since Life Orb weakens Eruption.

Also, why not Marowak? It can sweep harder than Rhyperior (gets Swords dance too), and doesn't need Life Orb if you are not gonna bother with Hippowdon anyways.

umm considering the first post, a BL/UU team is able to play in OU play i have majority BL/UU if not all BL/UU pokemon on my team and i can beat all OU team's unless they got the most anoying poke of all Sporeloom <-- sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)