Mono-Normal Team That Bores You to Defeat

I believe that when extreme restraints are created, one is forced to rely on creativity alone to produce a final product. This product, therefore, is concentrated, unique creativity. This is the concept that I use when I create Pokemon teams, and for this team, I was only allowed to use mono-normal types.

A glance at the team:

The idea here is that most mono-type teams have too many weaknesses that prove to be huge defensive holes. More weaknesses means a higher likelihood that more of the opponent's Pokemon have super-effective moves, and it also means that you have to do more work figuring out how to counter against those types. With mono-normal, you're weak to fighting alone (one of the rarer types out there), and you have essentially eliminated the entire concept and strategy behind the Pokemon type system, bringing the game down to a bare basics feel.

The Details:

Miltank (COW) @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Nature: Impish
- Milk Drink
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Heal Bell

COW proves herself to be quite a defensive wall after a Curse or two. After the set up, she is ready to put a huge dent in the other team with her STAB move, Body Slam. She keeps herself afloat with Milk Drink and Heal Bell, which make her even harder to KO. Scrappy allows her to hit ghost types as well. If the opposing is leading with a special attacker, simply switch out to Snorlax.

Snorlax (BEAR) @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 188 HP / 104 Def / 262 Sp Def
Nature: Careful
- Curse
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Selfdestruct

BEAR enters as a Special bulk, though after a Curse or two, he turns into a dual defensive bulk with a threatening Attack stat. Fire Punch and Earthquake do good all around damage until the time has come when he is about to die, then simply Selfdestruct for a guaranteed KO. If the opponent is threatening >50% damage on their first hit, go for the Selfdestruct right away. Anything <50% gives you time for at least one curse.

Regigigas (EARTH) @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp Def
Nature: Adament
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Drain Punch

EARTH is interesting in that he is absolutely useless for the first five turns in play. His Slow Start Ability means that his otherwise amazing stats are handicapped until he has been out for five turns, at which point they return to normal and he is ready to destroy. This means that the first priority here is keeping him alive for that long, which can be done via his durable substitute (high HP), and Thunder Wave which allows for the occasional free turn, as well as out-speeding them. Once he is set up, the words, "Regigigas (EARTH) has gotten his act together" appear, which basically alert the user and the opponent that shit is about to go down. He can now use his STAB move Return to crush through essentially anything, and Drain Punch to gain back quick HP on a finishing KO. His current weakness is that he cannot hit a ghost type.

Porygon-Z (ALIEN) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nature: Modest
- Tri-Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power (Fighting)
- Trick

With a special attack that is through the roof high, a powerful STAB move like Tri-Attack, and Adaptability which makes Tri-Attack even more powerfull, ALIEN is essentially a OHKO machine. His biggest problem is being out-sped, and taken out because of his low bulk. Dark Pulse and Hidden Power allow for more type coverage, while trick can lock in a staller or physical attacker with Choice Specs and render them almost useless.

Cinccino (MOUSE) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nature:
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed
- U-Turn

MOUSE provides the team with unbeatable speed that can take out a scarfed sweeper, and is great at taking out fighting type sweepers, especially after they use close combat to take out on of my other Pokemon. Mouse also boasts a high Attack stat and an auto 5-hit STAB move, Tail Slap. Rock Blast and Bullet Seed provide some variety, while U-Turn gives a quick escape or revenge kill.

Slaking (SLOTH) @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Return
- Earthquake
- Night Slash
- Retaliate

SLOTH, like EARTH, is another Pokemon with massive stats, but a hindering ability. Truant means that SLOTH is unable to do anything every other turn. However, the turns that he does attack on, he's almost ensured a OHKO with his crazy Speed and Attack stats, paired with a STAB move Return (or Retaliate if it's a revenge kill). I've thought about pulling retaliate for Giga Impact, which would provide even more power. Giga Impact usually has the problem of rendering the Pokemon useless for the following turn, but well... Slaking does that anyway. The problem is that with Return and Retaliate, I can put him in for one turn, and take him out the next without wasting a turn of slaking off (a Hit-and-Run). However, with Giga Impact, I am forced to stay in for the following turn to recharge, leaving him more open to damage. The best way to use SLOTH is to throw him in every now and then to get a OHKO, not leave out there taking blows every other turn.

Nice team, I would never have though of using only pure normal types, but if it works that's great. Right off the bat there's a glaring weakness to fighting. HJK Mienshao will wreck your team, at best barely missing the OHKO.

My biggest suggestion is to switch the choice items on Porygon-Z and Cinccino.

Choice Scarf > Choice Specs on Porygon-Z. Like you said, a huge problem with it is that it gets outsped to hell and back.
Also, if you wanted more speed, put a positive speed nature on it as opposed to modest. You're already specs.

As for Cinccino, he's already extremely fast, so a scarf could be unnecessary. I suggest trying out a banded set.

Love the use of Slaking, it's revenge-killing abilities are astounding.

Nice team, I would never have though of using only pure normal types, but if it works that's great. Right off the bat there's a glaring weakness to fighting. HJK Mienshao will wreck your team, at best barely missing the OHKO.

My biggest suggestion is to switch the choice items on Porygon-Z and Cinccino.

Choice Scarf > Choice Specs on Porygon-Z. Like you said, a huge problem with it is that it gets outsped to hell and back.
Also, if you wanted more speed, put a positive speed nature on it as opposed to modest. You're already specs.

As for Cinccino, he's already extremely fast, so a scarf could be unnecessary. I suggest trying out a banded set.

Love the use of Slaking, it's revenge-killing abilities are astounding.

Thanks! I like your advice for Porygon-Z, I think I'll try out the item and nature switches. However Cinccino's main use is to help eliminate such fighting threats as Mienshao, or Heracross. Seeing as these two are usually fit with high speed or a scarf, Cinccino heads in there after they take out one of the Pokemon, outspeeds them, and takes them out through their weak defense stats using Tail Slap. His speed has come in handy in so many situations to prevent a complete fighting sweep of my team, so I don't think I'll replace his item.

This is definitely an interesting team to say the least. Normal is not a type you would normally expect to see mono-typed. With that said, I'll try to keep my criticisms mild as I understand that this team must have been really hard to make.

This is basically theorymonning and it isn't a recommended set on Smogon but... How about a Choice Scarf Meloetta? You won't outrun any variants of Scarf Mienshao but you will be able to have the upper hand with Life Orb Mienshao, which seems to be getting more and more popular. However, an offensive or defensive Calm Mind set fits Meloetta best and I recommend you check out her Smogon analysis and pick a set that you like most.
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/meloetta

Another team member that I think would help this team is Togekiss. With the ability to be defensive on both ends, provide full cleric support with access to Wish and Heal Bell, and also provide a Serene Grace boosted Paraflinch, Togekiss would definitely pull its weight on this team.

I have recommended two Pokemon here, but the one Pokemon I would definitely consider getting rid of is Regigigas. Here's why:

252 Atk Regigigas Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 115-136 (26.55 - 31.4%) -- possible 4HKO

I second the idea of Choice Band on Cinccino and Choice Scarf on PorygonZ. Cinccino is in a speed tier that outruns a lot of Pokemon in UU and Choice Banded Skill Link Tail Slap will definitely be doing a lot of damage to anything.

And that concludes my RMT. This is honestly a really cool idea for a team and I hope the changes I suggested help you progress it further. I hope you succeed! :)

This is definitely an interesting team to say the least. Normal is not a type you would normally expect to see mono-typed. With that said, I'll try to keep my criticisms mild as I understand that this team must have been really hard to make.
Thanks for realizing the point of the team! I'm not trying to make the best team out there. I'm trying to make the best team possible with the given restraints!

This is basically theorymonning and it isn't a recommended set on Smogon but... How about a Choice Scarf Meloetta?
I like the idea... but I was very hesitant to use any Pokemon with a dual type. I wanted to stick to pure mono-normal. Who would you suggest replacing with Meloetta?

Another team member that I think would help this team is Togekiss.
Again, a dual type that I was hesitant to use. And I get it, Togekiss is a bad-ass at the paraflinch, but I've used a paraflinch strat before with Jirachi, and I gotta say, I just feel like a supreme shitlord doing it. I hate it when people use this strategy. I hate using this strategy. It's dull-minded and basic, requiring little to no thought or effort; it just abuses what is handed to the user. There's nothing wrong with suggesting it, because yeah it makes sense, but no thanks. Also Miltank provides cleric abilities with Heal Bell, and I don't think Wish would help out that much given the way the team dynamics work.

I second the idea of Choice Band on Cinccino and Choice Scarf on PorygonZ. Cinccino is in a speed tier that outruns a lot of Pokemon in UU and Choice Banded Skill Link Tail Slap will definitely be doing a lot of damage to anything.
Cinccino needs that additional speed to be able to eliminate fighting type sweepers such as the scarfed Mienshao or Heracross. I can't tell you how many times I would be swept straight through without that speed. I do like the Scarf on Porygon-Z though, and I'm going to try that out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hey! It looks like someone beat me to my normal monotype ^_^

Anyway, my name is Kitten Milk and I'm doing a monotype series with wild cards, and this week for me was normal as well. I'll be posting the RMT on that, and it's really interesting to see what you've personally done to tackle the struggle of creating a viable monotype team, much less one without a wild card.

Shameless plug aside, this is a very interesting team. You've noticed a lot of the main weaknesses with monotype teams (crippling weaknesses to a certain type, much less one as dangerous as fighting), and have been able to deal with it well (scarf cinccino). However, I'd like to alert you to the fact that you don't always have to just be faster to create a counterpoke. Another equally viable way to counter things without actually countering them is through the use of Focus Sashes and EndureCustap. You see this a lot on monotype teams, and it can really help you get past some very dangerous pokemon. For example - if you hypothetically ran endure and custap on your porygon-z (not saying to do this, I'm not even sure if it learns endure lol), you can endure when something like Mienshao HJK is obviously coming, and then be guaranteed to outspeed the following turn (bar priority).

Unfortunately there are some things on this team that just need to go :( The first is Regigigas. As pointed out before, it's not really that strong even outside of slow start, and is just walled to death by bulky grounds and ghosts. Have you considered using P2 alongside PZ? It's a very, very good poke in UU with an eviolite - it can even live an unboosted CC from heracross with ease. Furthermore, it doesn't have a crippling ability and gets access to amazing things like Trace, Download, Analytic and moves like Tri Attack, Bolt Beam, Trick Room, Recover, etc etc.

Snorlax can certainly run self-destruct, but that set just isn't helping you out at all against ghosts, something your team really doesn't have too much to deal with. Crunch on Snorlax is basically a must - you need all the help you can get against things like Cofag when every single thing with an SE move gets demolished by Will-o-Wisp. You could just get rid of Fire Punch. Also, look into Return > SelfDestruct. Your Snorlax is meant to be an SpD wall, and it can't effectively wall if it just comes in and blows the fuck up.

Other than that, it's awesome to see other people tackling monotype teams in UU. It's a really fun thing to do, and not many people ever try it. If you ever want help building a monotype team or anything like that, feel free to PM me :)

Thanks Kitten Milk! Lots of really good advice in there. I had thought a little about going bulk over speed, but never too seriously, so I may have to look into swaping out Cinccino for a more bulky Pokemon such as Porygon2.

I can definitely see Regigigas as being a weak link. He's just so fun to use though! But I guess if I'm getting more serious with this team, I should look into some replacements.

Crunch on Snorlax is definitely a good idea, I'm not sure why I didn't already have that.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Yeah - It's certainly possible to make a full monotype team that's not only viable but very good. Although Monotype teams do open you up to a lot of weaknesses, they also sort of overload your opponent with one type of thing, and sooner or later all of his counters to that type of move are gone, meaning that it's easy chomping from there on :3

I think your only hope against Mienshao is to just stick Protect on something, maybe like a Wish Protect Lickilicky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)