Challenge Monotype Challenge!

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I have been meaning to make one of these threads for ages. Absolutely eons. (2 weeks counts as eons now) but then I thought I got ninja'd by the guy who made the mononormal run thread. Until he made the comment: "Why are we talking about fire type runs now?"
YES!

Anyway, a monotype run, if you did not already know, is where you have a team where all of your pokemon at least partly share a type. For instance, on heartgold you can have: Raticate, Furret, Pidgeot, Girafarig, Fearow and Dunsparce. All of them share a type, so it works.

In monotype runs you do not need a full team of six. You can have a mono-fire team in diamond of infernape and rapidash and it would still count! However, a common rule in mono-type runs is that if there is a pokemon available of the type you are playing as you really should use it if you do not already have 6. No good skipping poochyena in gen 3 for a bunch of sharpedo later on, which brings me onto my next common rule. Dupes clause. There's no good having 5 alakazams and a mr. mime in gen 1 and say "it's a psychic mono-type!" because you just wreck everything with one OP pokemon. Remember guys, this is supposed to be a challenge!

But now, I am going to put every single available pokemon in their respective type in every game. I am so nice :D

W.I.P (I will do this bit by bit, if you are delay a little I should probably have your game up in less than two weeks (lol))

Gen 1 (yellow only specified, if not specified then probably in both except starters)

Fire:
Charmander

Water:
Squirtle

Grass:
Bulbasaur

Electric:
Pikachu (Y)

Rock:

Ground:

Bug:
Weedle
Caterpie

Flying:
Pidgey
Spearow

Normal:
Pidgey
Rattata
Spearow

Poison:
Weedle

Psychic:

Ice:

Intresting, haven't done it myself, might be intresting in something like PMD, as typing is somewhat more relevant there, IMO. Or just on White 2, wich would turn out in a team like this:
- Hydreigon
- Scrafty
- Zoroark
- A transfered Arceus-Dark
- Another tediously OP Dark Pokémon
- Kyurem-B, because it is black... black=dark.

I'm starting to think of a rock type team all of a sudden for Kanto...
Kabutops
Graveler
Onix
Aerodactyl
Rhydon
o.o its so tempting but I'm still busy with my SS Normal Run

I'm a fan of monotype runs myself. I've done two so far in Platinum, and then uploaded both teams to Battle Revolution to battle each other for fun. XD

The first one was a mono Ground team with:
Torterra
Golem
Gastrodon
Gliscor
Garchomp
Hippowdon
....and big surprise, it was pretty much no challenge, I would just lead every important fight with Hippo for perma-sand then set up with Chomp (SD, D Claw, EQ, Fire Fang) and curbstomp everyone foolish enough to dare oppose my wrath. Gliscor could also SD for further shenanigans, and Torterra ran Leech Seed + Curse. I thought the massive Ice weakness would be brutal against Candice with her STAB hitting three of my team for 4x, but Gastrodon tanks errrrythang and said no to nonsense with Hidden Power Rock. Eventually Golem set up a Rock Polish and just shit all over everything with Rock Slide/Fire Punch. The only other worry I had was Cynthia's Garchomp which outleveled mine by a fair margin. However I slapped a BrightPowder on my own Chomp, led the battle with Hippo, then switched my Chomp into her Spiritomb, Danced a bunch, Full Restored, one-shotted Tomb, then one-shotted her Chomp with a trusty Dragon Claw after her Dragon Rush missed due to poor accuracy plus my evasion BS. ^_^

I tried mono-normal next, it seemed like it would be a good mix of fun+challenging, plus I wanted an excuse to use Bibarel for a full game (STAB SURF BRAH). The team was:
Staraptor
Bibarel
Ambipom
Clefable
Togekiss
Porygon-Z
Bibarel with Curse/Amnesia + Simple when you can use Full Restores is so silly, it beats like everything, and lets me use Strength and Waterfall on my team. Special Ambipom is neat too, with Nasty Plot, Swift, Water Pulse, and Baton Pass (Technician obv). When his time was up he'd just ship the NP to Togekiss or Porygon-Z and they just slaughter everything. Staraptor is Staraptor, it kills everything with Return/Brave Bird/Close Combat just like in any other playthrough. Clefable was kind of lacking, but after hours of trying to find a Munchlax on a Honey Tree I said fuck it. >_<

I'm working on a Heart Gold Nuzlocke right now, but when I'm done, I'm thinking of a mono-poison run in Platinum, maybe something like:
Gengar
Tentacruel
Crobat
Roserade
Toxicroak
Drapion
...could work, or maybe the all mighty Dustox! ;D

Moral of the story: monotype = fun.

bw2 might be interesting for some combination oshawott/psyduck/frillish/staryu/ducklett/basculin

or if you count evolutions, eevee/azurill...

just off of the top of my head. i haven't finished my white 2 yet, though...

A fun one that's now practical is a pan-generational mono-type. One Pokemon from each of the five generations, and all the same type. (And one space left over of course). I did it for ghost on Black, using Gengar, Misdreavus (not allowed to evolve it because Mismagius is 4th gen), Shedinja, Drifblim, and Golurk. My abiding memory is Bite and Crunch being everywhere, with my team's weakness and physical frailty it made life pretty hard.

I tried doing a water only run in Emerald but got bored of it once I got to the 3rd gym.

Marshtomp
Lombre
Wingull
Tentacool

This was my team when i quit.

Here is my one question about all of this becuase it sounds really fun. Say if you choose a type like ice or dragon; how would you do a monotype run if you cant get that type till way later in the game? Do you just go with what ever pokemon you want until you get to that type in the game or do you have to import at least one egg so you can start with one poekmon unitll later?

Trading in eggs (or Pokemon in RBY) is the preferred option. Possibly more than one, depending on how long it is until you can catch an example naturally.

It just doesnt seem right that you can start with any pokemon you want egg wise. I just feel that would make the game easy. Are there certain types that make the game harder. for instance heart gold through BW2. I would like to do this for Soul Silver Platinum Black and Black 2. If you guys want to give me a type to go hard or easy and what pokemon I will try the challenge.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Here is my one question about all of this becuase it sounds really fun. Say if you choose a type like ice or dragon; how would you do a monotype run if you cant get that type till way later in the game? Do you just go with what ever pokemon you want until you get to that type in the game or do you have to import at least one egg so you can start with one poekmon unitll later?
You CAN trade in a pokemon like cantab said, but it isn't cheating if you use whatever until you get to the type. However once you get there you have to ditch all of your pokemon you used before, so usually people do trade in pokemon. Or hack it in with an emulator, I suppose, so it might be easier to do it on one of them. (Sorry Jelli but it seems fine rn)

It just doesnt seem right that you can start with any pokemon you want egg wise. I just feel that would make the game easy. Are there certain types that make the game harder. for instance heart gold through BW2. I would like to do this for Soul Silver Platinum Black and Black 2. If you guys want to give me a type to go hard or easy and what pokemon I will try the challenge.
I'll do a quick analysis of all the types in HGSS.

HGSS
Poison = Easy. Wide variety of Pokemon and some are powerhouses, like Nidoking and Crobat.
Water = Easy. Lots of Pokemon to choose from, like Quagsire.
Fire = Medium. You start with Cyndaquil, which is good, but most of your options are also solid Fire-type.
Grass = Hard. The Grass-types in HGSS will struggle with lots of gyms. They struggle to stay on top of the Pokemon that they need to beat.
Ghost, Steel, Dragon, Ice = Nearly Impossible. You get almost no Pokemon throughout the entire game.
Fighting = Medium. There's no Scrafty, meaning fights against Psychic-types will be rough. They all hit pretty hard, though.
Psychic = Medium. You get a Flyer, Xatu, but a lot of the Pokemon available are pretty powerful. Most have low Defense, however, and the earliest accessible Pokemon is Unown, with the next being Drowzee. Also Bugsy.
Dark = Hard. There's not much variety, just enough to make a team. Umbreon is available early on, but not much else is available until much later. You also have no Surfer, Grass-type, or Fire-type until post-E4.
Flying = Easy. Sooooo much variety, and most of them are very powerful. Pidgey, Spearow, and Zubat are available early, and they are very powerful throughout the game.
Ground = Easy. Really powerful Pokemon with a wide variety of attackers, but will struggle against maybe one or two gyms.
Rock = Medium. Powerful attackers, but a lot of these Pokemon are very Defensive and cannot take Grass-types or Water-types well. They struggle against a couple gyms.
Normal = Easy. So much variety, lots of early game threats, and Snorlax and Tauros. You should be able to take on most threats with just these two.
Bug = Medium. Bugs don't have the best attacking stats, but lots of Bugs are pretty powerful and the late-game ones, like Scizor, are monsters.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This sounds an awful lot like a Scamble Challange request. There, you can ask users to elect what Pokemon you use for a playthrough (and some fun requirements they need to meet). You just specify what game you want to use and the difficulty level. Mono-type teams are fairly common.

You can find the thread here

EDIT: actually I realised there will probably be a few requests for team ideas here so should probably let it go

Planning on doing a Mono dual Type of black 2 with some mons traded in throughout

Steel - Bug

Forretress
Scizor
Wormadam
Durant
Escavlier
Genesect

It's only fair if I start with Snivy I'd say
- flame charge rival Emboar might get me in a pickle

It just doesnt seem right that you can start with any pokemon you want egg wise. I just feel that would make the game easy.
That depends entirely on what Pokemon you have in the egg. I mean sure, if you go start your mono-Ground by trading in a Gible egg with a whole bunch of great moves you're set for a cakewalk. Send something sensible and you won't be.

Doing a water monotype of Fire Red Omega. Rival's starter will be Elekid, for max difficulty (also wussing out with Magby is boring).

Considering I can fish up Staryu and Shelder early on, this will be interesting.

edit: actually thinking about it getting a lot of things earlygame as well as whiscash/swampert will trivialise electabuzz but oh well

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This thread might kick me back into action on the Water mono run I was doing on the Orange Islands plays!

:D Actually I'll def do that :)

Water mono type are probably the easiest with many dual type combination (Especially Water/Ice, Water/Ground, Water/Flying who can cover the electric/grass weaknesses)

Beat Brock without much difficulty. I used all the water-types I have available to me at this point, excluding Magikarp for obvious reasons. This makes a team of Barboach, Mudkip, Staryu and Shelder. Geodude was OHKO'd by Mudkip, while Mud-Slap hax and Growl as well as Torrent abuse made Kabuto easy as well. The rest weren't really worth mentioning :/

Now up to Mt. Moon, with the same 4 Pokemon. Also, it just occurred to me that

Mysticwaters are available on sale at Cerulean

This isn't really that bad, I guess. Maybe I should try Fire after this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)