Monotype Ghost Team

As I mentioned in my first RMT I have never ventured into the 5th generation of pokemon. However, doing a monotype team (especially a ghost monotype team) has forced me to venture into this unknown field. I still however know very little about this generation and would like all the help I can get. So please spear no criticism.

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SAtk, 4 Sdef, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (-Atk, +Spe)
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Ice Beam

The Lead. Taunt to prevent the oppenent from setting up. Then use spikes for field damage and destiny bond to take out oppenent (this can actually cause alot of switches waiting for PP to run dry which if predicted right can give Froslass extra turns to set up spikes or do some decent damage with ice beam (along with field damage giving Froslass an extra KO))

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SDef
Nature: Careful (-SAtk, +SDef)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Detect
- Recover

Mischievous Heart was the best thing to ever happen to Sableye. Every move in this set besides knock off has a speed priority +1.

Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers making up for the lack of defence EVs I put into him.
Knock-Off is used mainly to knock off leftovers giving burn a faster KO but also does some damage which will prevent the battle from becoming a 8-turn stall.
Detect+Leftovers+Recover+Mischievous Heart gives it unlimited healing properties. All he has to worry about is status effects like toxic (not so much burn) or potential OHKOs.

Burungeru @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SDef
Nature: Calm (-Atk, +SDef)
- Boil Over
- Recover
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

The Ghost type's ultimate special wall.

Boil Over is a good STAB move that takes out the fire types immune to burn.
Recover is for extra healing alongside leftovers.
Shadow Ball is another good STAB move (and you need alot of it when coming against other ghost type teams).
Finally, Will-O-Wisp gives Burungeru some extra defencive qualities and gives added damage to the oppenent slowly.

When used with Shandera Burungeru has some great defensive qualities.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def, 252 SAtk, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (-Atk, +Spe)
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

My team's Special Sweeper.

Substitute prevents status affliction as well as scout for super effective hits.
Pain Split is Gengar's basic healing move what with substitute and Life Orb continually draining his HP. This is highly needed and can do alot of damage on the oppenent.
Shadow Ball is again a basic ghost STAB.
Focus Blast is to do major damage on steels and normals.

Shandera @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe
Nature: Bold (-Atk, +Def)
- Pain Split
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Calm Mind it's Sp. Atk & Sp. Def than Pain Split to heal followed by a deadly STAB Flamethrower or Shadow Ball. Shadow Tag alows Shandera to shift in safely and set up without worries.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 294 HP, 28 Atk, 228 Def
Nature: Impish (-SAtk, +Def)
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

My Physical Wall that destroys the oppenent through burn and pain split before finishing them off with an earthquake or ice Punch.

When building a mono-type team, you must first consider all of the team's weaknesses. Ghost is weak to:
-Ghost
-Dark
Only having two weaknesses is great for this type, but unfortunately for ghost, the only way to counter these two types is by using Sableye or Spiritomb. You have sableye, and a great set, so that covers that. Next, you get a type that can lay entry hazards. You picked the only one, Frosslass. So far, you pulled off a mono-type team with aplomb. You only started to fail when you picked the movesets and pokemon. When you picked burungeru's moveset, you forgot to take into account that there already is a statuser on your team, and when you used boil over and WoW, that kind of ruined it. Give it Toxic over Wow, or maybe even taunt. Next problem is you have three pokemon with pain split. While pain split is a great move, you're using it wrong on every pokemon you have it on. First off, let's explain gengar. Gengar shouldn't be doing subsplit when you have stall-stoppers in Frosslass, Sableye, and Burungeru. It should be running a Mysticgar or a full-out sweeper set. All you really need to do is change the moveset, because the ev's and item are good. A good idea would be:
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Hidden Power [Fire]
Thuderbolt/Protect
Protect for mysticgar to counter scizor and tyranitar (the pursuiters that will wreck this team) or tbolt to just be an all out sweeper. Let's go to shandera next. shandera. Pain Split is completely worthless on it, as it's a revenge killer and cm sweeper. You have no reliable revenge killer, so I suggest giving shandera a choice scarf, keeping shadow tag, and changing its set to this:
Shandera @ Choice Scarf
Shadow Tag
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
-Flamethrower/Overheat
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Psychic/Hidden Power [Fight]
It's a reliable revenge killer, and can really benefit your team. Lastly, let's review dusknoir. Dusknoir is a great option to keep pain split on, but I suggest a SubPunch set instead. A set would look like this:
Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Pressure
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
-Substitute
-Pain Split
-Focus Punch
-Shadow Punch
I use this dusknoir when I actually use a Dusknoir, and I prefer it over anything else. It's got the bulk to live an attack, set up a sub, and then use one of it's other moves accordingly.
You have the basic idea of building a mono-type team, except when you make movesets to have synergy in your team, you fall short, but you should keep pursuing mono-type teams, you can actually make them quite well.

Um... You have 294 evs in HP on your Dusknoir. You can Only put 255. It may be a typo, but it would be better to correct it before more people notice.

Before I ever saw this thread, I put together a mono-ghost team that was, in terms of Pokemon used, nearly identical. The only difference in that regard is that I didn't use Dusknoir. Since ghosts are generally special attackers, it's important to have something that works from the physical side, as Dusknoir does. However, I think Golurk is a better offensive player. His typing enables STAB from Earthquake, and with the dream world ability No Guard, he can use DynamicPunch and Stone Edge without needing to worry about accuracy. With these powerful moves at his arsenal, and a superior attack stat, he is the better physical attacker. DynamicPunch is great for dispatching dark types that would give this team the most trouble. I've experimented with Fling holding an Iron Ball to slam opposing ghosts, but Shadow Punch is acceptable and enables use of an item like Leftovers. I just wanted to add him to consideration; teams ignore Golurk at their peril if unprepared for him.

Hex over shadow ball because it deals more damage then shadow ball when the pokemon is burned and ice beam over boil over as WoW does what scald is suppose to do. Shandera should be a choice spec/scarf with flamethrower/heat wave, energy ball, shadow ball and psychic to deal huge damage to anything(except bliss and chansey).
I agree with homesplice's duskinior set it can stall and take care of darks.

On sableye, why Detect? It's a minor point, but Protect is just superior. Also, I would put confuse ray over knock off, I find it's much more helpful usually.

Woah woah woah, this got completely micro bumped! He made this team late January and now in early July this is getting attention... A mod should close this.

Wow, i have to admit this is a decent enough Ghost team, i like how you planned everything out but try this Sableye Set.
Prankster Ability/ Items: Leftovers
252 Def/252 HP/6 Sp.Def (i cant find the exact ev's that my friend did for her sableye but i guess you can say it was able to wall about everything i used).
-Will-O-Wisp
-Confuse Ray
-Recover
-Night Shade
Though this set has its drawbacks like no protect or even a taunt, it has its ups as well, WoW is used to cripple any Physical Striker that tries to stand in the way of Sableye (or Prankstereye as i call it), while Confuse Ray is used on top of WoW to force the opponent to either switch it off, or let it die. If you tend to eventually run low on HP Recover allows you to heal up and set up once again the same thing. Night Shade is Sableye's ONLY reliable attack as when in a full out 6v6 battle, you can deal a flat 100 HP damage every shot, which is useful in most cases being to run a Prankster Sableye you must either use Calm, Careful, Impish, OR Bold natures to boost it's Defenses. With no weaknesses also, it can take any hit and also lure in some Psychic Moves that most Psychic types would expect to do something to your Switch in. you can basically say Sableye in specific, is Gallade's worst nightmare in the metagame also, due to fighting moves and psychic moves it'll run, half of its Set will be cut off, and WoW will just devastate his power.
Everything else i guess everyone pointed out, except i'm not sure if Shadow tag Chandulure came out yet in the actual game since i actually play Pkmon Black.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)