[Monotype/Normal] Diggersby QC (1/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

**Normal**
-
Has amazing Ground and Normal STAB that most pokemon cannot switch into
- Extremely strong wall breaker that most Pokémon cannot switch into
- Gives the much needed offensive pressure from Eviolite core + Bulkraptor + Ditto
- Can break many Monotype cores
- Great Attack stat combined with the Huge Power Ability, which doubles the pokemon's attack stat
- Great coverage moves such as Knock Off, Wild Charge, and Fire Punch
- Below average speed and is outsped and revenge killed by most Pokémon
- Weak to Status

[SET]
Name: Choice Band (Normal)
Move 1: Return
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Quick Attack
Move 4: Wild Charge / Knock Off / Fire Punch
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 4 Hp / 252 Attack / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
Moves
========

- Return is a powerful STAB move which is used for neutral damage to hit things that Earthquake cannot hit.
- Earthquake is Diggersby's ground STAB move Steel-type, Rock-type, and Pokémon.
- Quick Attack is a priority STAB move that can revenge kill a Pokémon, or used to sweep teams that are low.
- Wild Charge is a strong Electric move with recoil and coverage for Flying-Type Pokemon and Water-type Pokemon, such as Skarmory and Politoed.
- Knock Off is coverage for Ghost type Pokemon, and is also used to knock off the opponent's item, such as Gengar and Porygon2.
- Fire Punch is coverage for Ferrothorn and Skarmory which would normally wall it

Set Details
========

- Maximum Attack EVs and an Adamant nature maximizes Diggersby's damage output.
- Maximum Speed EVs are used to outspeed most Defensive pokemon like Mew and Zapdos and other threats such as Adamant Bisharp.
- Choice Band is used to increase the damage of Diggersby's attacks.

Usage Tips
========

- Send in when the opposing team has a slower wall that can be killed by Diggersby, such as Lanturn.
- Diggersby does extreme damage with Choice Band, use it to break the walls on the other team.
- Send it in early to wall break.
- Entry Hazzards, such as Spikes and Stealth Rock let some pokemon that would normally be two hit KO'd by Diggersby weakened and one shot
- Send in when a teammate has fallen for a free switch in, and possibly revenge kill with Quick Attack.

Team Options
========

- Chansey - Chansey eats most special attacks and relieves pressure from Diggersby for a faster special attacker, as well as being status coverage with Heal Bell. It can also Thunder Wave pokemon and paralyze them so that Diggersby can outspeed that pokemon.
- Porygon2 - Covers Diggersby's check of being fragile as it can switch into most things, it is a huge defensive wall as well as covering pokemon that threaten it with status with Discharge/Thunder Wave and Toxic and attacking moves with Foul Play and Ice Beam.
- Staraptor - Bulkraptor covers most fighting type attacks that Diggersby cannot stay into as well as Defogging hazards for Diggersby to switch in more, and having access to U-Turn.
- Smeargle - Sets up Stealth Rock, Sticky Web, and Spikes for Diggersby to outspeed more things.
- Mega Pidgeot - Great Special Attacker with the possibility to U-Turn and get the switch initiative into Diggersby as well as relieving pressure off of some Fighting Types as it OHKOs most of them, and can Defog
- Ditto - Gets rid of potential set up sweepers that pressure Diggersby

[SET]
Name: Swords Dance Setup (Normal)
Move 1: Swords Dance
Move 2: Return
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Quick Attack
Item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- Swords Dance boosts Diggersby's attack to high levels.
- Return is a strong STAB move that hits for neutral damage and hits things Earthquake cannot hit
- Earthquake is a strong ground STAB move that hits Steel, Rock types.
- Quick Attack is a strong priority STAB move that can be used to revenge kill, after a Swords Dance, it does a lot of damage.

Set Details
========

- Maximum Speed Evs and a Jolly nature let it outspeed things such as Adamant Dragonite and Jolly Breloom.
- Maximum Attack EVs maximize damage output
- Life Orb lets Diggersby OHKO certain defensive pokemon such as Slowbro after Stealth Rock damage.
- Focus Sash ensures one Swords Dance but is broken by entry hazards.

Usage Tips
========

- Can be used to revenge kill with Focus Sash
- Late game sweeper that thrives on the enemy team being whittled down and then setting up an Swords Dance, and sweeping with Quick Attack.
- Keep it healthy
- Try to keep entry hazards off especially if you are using Focus Sash, because the sash will be broken.
- Use a defogger
- Needs to be healthy to survive attacks and set up a Swords Dance if not Focus Sash
- Diggersby threatens many pokemon and normally forces switches, use the opportunity to set up a free Swords Dance

Team Options
========

- Mega Pidgeot - Strong Special attacker that can weaken the enemy team and set up for a Swords Dance Quick attack sweep OHKO most fighting types that pressure Diggersby.
- Staraptor - Defogs for sash not to break, and has U-Turn that gives your team switch initiative and can lead to Diggersby getting a free switch, also has the potential to have Rocky Helmet that can slowly whittle the enemy's team as well as checking fighting types.
- Porygon2 is a great defensive wall that has access to Thunder Wave/Discharge and Toxic that helps Diggersby potential to sweep.
- Chansey - Can set up Stealth Rock, as well as whittle down the team with status such as Toxic and Thunder Wave, as well as Wish passing into Diggersby to keep it healthy and having Heal Bell.
- Smeargle - Can set up entry hazards - Sticky Webs, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock.
- Ditto - Pressures set up sweeps and can be used
- Meloetta - Can have coverage for Ghost Types which Diggersby cannot hit with this set.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
**Normal:**

- Choice Scarf instead of a band and a Jolly nature allows Diggersby to outspeed more things and can be used as a revenge killer, with U-Turn.
- Minimum happiness Diggersby with Frustration can be used for Ditto
- Ice Punch can be used in the band set as coverage moves, such as Defensive Landorus-T
- U-Turn can be used as switch initiative
- Maximum HP evs increase Diggersby's Bulk but is slower.

Checks and Counters
====================
**Normal**

**Fighting Types**: Most Fighting Types are faster than Diggersby and threaten it extremely, Mega-Gallade, Keldeo, Mega Medicham, Terrakion, Heracross, and Breloom, are huge threats against it.

**Water Types**: Diggersby cannot take moves that it is weak to, because it is fragile, Starmie, Keldeo, Azumarill, Kingdra, Jolly Gyarados threaten it.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory 1v1s Diggersby, and can whittle it down with Rocky Helmet, however it cannot switch into aChoice banded Fire Punch or Wild Charge, Skarmory walls Swords Dance Diggersby

**Defensive Landorus-Therian**: Defensive Landorus-T can switch into any from Choice Band Diggersby, except Ice Punch, It can THKO with Earthquake and also provide switch initiative with U-Turn, and get residual damage with Rocky Helmet

**Status**: Toxic hinders Diggersby's ability to sweep as it slowly widdles him down and Burns make Diggersby pretty much useless, unless Chansey has Heal Bell.

**Grass-Types**: Grass types can wall Diggersby according to what it is locked into, and they can revenge kill it due to it's low bulk

**Ice-Types**: Due to Diggersby's typing, faster Ice Type pokemon can OHKO it as it does not take Super effective moves well.

**Entry Hazards:** Entry Hazards greatly hinder Diggersby's pressure in games as every time you switch in you take damage, Toxic Spikes poison Diggersby, Sticky Webs make it so that everything outspeeds it, Spikes and Stealth Rocks cause entry damage, normal has a tough time taking entry hazards off, so don't let them stack these up

Last edited:
Hey jiggle,

I'm not a QC member, but I can provide some feedback:

Checks and Counters: Include Terrakion and Skarmory at the very least, as both of those can easily check diggersby.

[SET]
name: Choice Band (Normal)
move 1: Return
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Quick Attack
move 4: Wild Charge / Knock Off
item: Choice Band
abilty: Huge Power
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

I have fixed the formatting for one of the sets; you can copy and paste and follow the formatting on the other one.

Good luck!

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since nobody has done this QC I'll do it I guess
Overview
  • Mention how Diggersby has amazing STAB Ground Normal Coverage
  • Mention how Ground Normal STAB coverage is hard to switch into
  • Wouldn't call Diggersby very slow bellow average speed is better wording
  • Weak to status I think susceptible would be a better word
  • Mention how Huge Power doubles Diggersby's attack stat
Choice Band
Name: Choice Band (Normal)
Move 1: Return
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Quick Attack
Move 4: Wild Charge / Knock Off / Fire Punch
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 4 Hp / 252 Attack / 252 Spe
Changes for set are in bold
Moves
  • Ghost Type Pokemon on Earthquake seems kind of unuture against Gengar and Gourgeist-Super two very common Pokemon on Ghost type teams
  • Mention Fire Punch on how it helps against Ferrothorn and Skarmory which would normally give Diggersby trouble
  • Quick attack is used to revenge kill Pokemon that are low more than sweep
  • Can a water type Pokemon example be provided that Diggersby beats with using Wild Charge the majority of the time
  • Knock Offs only benefit against Psyshic is Mew having a good chance to OHKO after Stealth Rocks
Set details
  • Mention how Max Speed has you outspeed adamant base 70 Pokemon such as Bisharp this should seperate
  • Mention how Max Speed allows you to outspeed fast defensive Pokemon such as Mew and Zapdos
Usage Tips
  • Mention Diggersby should be sent out against slower walls it breaks
  • I would delete part about being a sweeper with Quick Attack
  • Mention how entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes allow Diggersby to KO or 2 Hit KO certain Pokemon
Team Options
  • Mention how Chansey has access to Heal Bell which makes Diggersby less susceptible to status
  • Mention how Chansey can paralyze faster threats with Thunder Wave
  • Mention how Thunder Wave helps Diggersby outspeed some threats
  • Mention how Porygon-2 can wall physical attackers
  • Mention Porygon-2's ability to status Pokemon with Dishcarge/Thunder Wave and or Toxic
  • Mention Spikes on Smeargle
  • Mention how Mega Pidgeot pressures Fighting Types and is a potential Defoger
  • Mention Meloetta and how it checks Ghost types that Diggersby has trouble with
  • Mention how Ditto pressures set up sweepers
Swords Dance

Moves
  • Take out part about Ghost types look at Choice Band Set for reasoning
Set Details
  • Mention the natures of Pokemon Adamant Dragonite and Jolly Breelom
  • Mention how Life Orb allows Diggersby to OHKO defensive Pokemon such as Slowbro after Stealth Rocks just give examples on why Life Orb should be used over Focus Sash
  • Mention how Stealth Rocks and or Spikes break Focus Sash
Usage Tips
  • Mention how Pokemon needs to be very low to be revenge killed if Focus Sash is used
  • Mention how Diggersby forces lots of switches and how setting up Swords Dance on switches is optimal
  • Mention Diggersby needs to be healthy to live certain attacks
  • Especially if Focus Sash is used, keep entry hazards off
  • Mention how a Defoger should be ran especially on Focus Sash to remove entry hazards
Team Options
  • Mention how Mega Pidgeot OHKOs Fighting types with Hurricane that threaten Diggersby
  • Mention how Staraptor has U-turn which gives Diggersby more oppurnites to switch in
  • Mention how Staraptor checks Fighting types that threaten Diggersby
  • Mention Meloetta and how it is better partner on Swords Dance Diggersby because of no Knock Off
  • Mention Porygon-2 as a good physical walls
  • Mention how Toxic and Thunder Wave make Setting up a Swords Dance easier
  • Mention how Chnasey has Heal Bell to cure burn and poison status
  • Mention Wish on Chansey which helps keep Diggersby healthy
  • Mention Ditto for similar reasons as Choice Band
Other Options
  • Mention how U-turn is used on Scarf sets mostly
  • Mention how a Max HP set can be used to maximize Diggersby's bulk at the cost of Speed
  • Mention Ice Punch for defensive Landorus-Therian
  • Mention Frustration which can be used against minimum happiness Ditto
  • Mention Thunder Punch which is similar to Wild Charge without recoil
  • You can add other not so good options Such as Superpower and Gunk Shot but I wouldn't put them
Checks and Counters
  • Faster Pokemon should be removed there are plenty of faster Pokemon that do not threaten Diggersby
  • Add category called Fighting types where Fighting types such as Keldeo Mega Gallade, Mega Medicham, Terrakion etc can be mentioned
  • Add Water types such as Keldeo, Starmie, Azumarill, Kingdra etc all threaten Diggersby
  • Defensive Landorus-Therian switches into to Choice Band variants baring the rare Ice Punch. It also provides momentum with U-turn and residual damage on Diggersby with Rocky Helmet
  • Skarmory mention how it 1v1's all Diggersby variants but it doesn't switch into a Choice Banded Fire Punch or Wild Charge. Mention how it hard walls Swords Dance variants
  • Mention how Diggersby isn't bulk so taking entry hazard damage causes it to be OHKO by certain neutral or weak super effective hits
  • I would add Grass types as well which can walls Diggersby depending on what move it is looked into. Mention how Grass Types revenge kill Diggersby because of how frail it is.
  • Ice types can check Diggersby because of how frail it is and Diggersby doesn't take super effective hits at all
  • Mention under status how it isn't a major issue is Heal Bell is used on Chansey
QC 1 is complete make sure you put QC (1/3) in title once changes are implemented

Hey nice work in general, just a few details to take care of.

Overview:
I would add that its Ground typing is quite bad defensively. The weakness to Water- and Ice-type attacks is actually meaningful. Meanwhile, the Electric immunity is basically useless on a team that has Chansey.

Not sure status weakness belongs in Overview, but I don't think it's necessarily a problem to keep it here.

Choice Band:
Moves:
Technically Return hits harder than Earthquake does. So Earthquake is for hitting Pokemon that Return cannot. Flip the reasoning there.

I wouldn't mention the recoil on Wild Charge. I'm not sure how much I like the Politoed example, by the way. You'll almost never Wild Charge a Politoed because Swampert is on the team, and Return does marginally less damage to Politoed while hitting the entire Water team. Is there anything better?

You say Fire Punch beats Skarmory, which would otherwise wall it. Wild Charge is the first slash and beats Skarmory too, so that's false. I would change that to Mega Scizor, since that can survive Earthquake. (So Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor)

Set Details:
I would add that you outspeed Adamant Mega Scizor as well with full Speed investment, which can be a big deal if it has no boosts and cannot KO Diggersby with Bullet Punch.

Usage Tips:
Explain that the reason Diggersby should be used on free switches is that it's not bulky at all. It can't switch into almost any attack that isn't resisted.

You mentioned in the Overview that Diggersby is weak to status, but don't have a tip for that. Mention that a burn will cripple Diggersby's Attack.

Team Options:
Add that Chansey can set Stealth Rock as well. Also "as well as being status coverage with Heal Bell" not sure what this means. Cleanse / remove status? Finally, Chansey can also use Toxic, which will cripple walls that Diggersby can't beat, such as Avalugg, Gourgeist-XL, and Porygon2 (sorta hard to beat).

Talk more about the synergy between having a special wallbreaker in Mega Pidgeot and physical in Diggersby. They can break down each other's checks pretty easily, making it harder for the opponent to stop them.

I like Meloetta as a teammate, because, especially with the Specs wallbreaker set, they break each other's checks down. Choice Specs Meloetta's Shadow Ball will beat pretty much any Ghost that is trying to wall Diggersby. Meanwhile, Diggersby can take out foes that Meloetta has trouble with, such as Chansey, Zapdos, and Cradily.

I think Mega Lopunny is a pretty good teammate, since it really appreciates Diggersby taking out its checks. It's also a great revenge killer too. With Scrappy, it can also hit Ghost-types, but it shouldn't be relied upon for walls. You can include Pokemon that like to have Diggersby as a teammate too, not just those that Diggersby gets help from.

Swords Dance Setup:
Moves:
Again fix the whole Return is for those that can't be hit by Earthquake, when it's the reverse.

Set Details:
I would add that Jolly lets Diggersby outspeed neutral natured base 90s. This includes Lucario and Meloetta, both of which could outspeed and OHKO an Adamant Diggersby with their Fighting-type attacks.

I would add that Life Orb lets Diggersby still serve as a wallbreaker without setting up, while a Focus Sash set will be quite weak and relies much more heavily on setting up.

Usage Tips:
Again, you did say it's weak to status, so you should mention that burns end any hope of a sweep.

I would add that Life Orb Diggersby can be used early-game to weaken its checks so that a future sweep will be easier.

Team Options:
Can you provide some examples of where Stealth Rock helps Diggersby land a KO? Something like Rocky Helmet Skarmory being almost always 2HKOed would work here (You take serious damage though) or even Choice Scarf Heracross is almost always OHKOed.

I would add to Meloetta that Choice Specs wallbreaker set can help take out Diggersby's checks to make the late-game sweep easier.

Checks and Counters:
Just a quick thing, THKO is a Three hit KO for Landorus-T? It should be 3HKO.

I would add Ghost-types as a check. Defensive Ghost-types, such as Gourgeist-XL and Acid Armor Jellicent, can be almost impossible for Diggersby to break.

Add some examples of Grass-types. Not much can actually switch into Earthquake, as they're pretty much all 2HKOed except for Gourgeist-XL and Rotom-C, I think. Return can be walled by Ferrothorn, but that assumes it uses Return.

Revenge killers would be a great section to add here. Choice Scarf Victini, Mega Lopunny, Latios, and Choice Scarf Gardevoir can all beat Diggersby by just being faster. Although you mention Fighting, Water, and Ice individually, Mach Punch, Aqua Jet, and Ice Shard users are very threatening as well.

QC 2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)