Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

I have poor experience with mono Dark but then I thought, why not give it a shot? So Bisharp here is the main sweeper of the team. Bisharp is a great presence in dark teams imo as it gives priority and a blanket check to fairies. Knock Off is also a great utility. So, standard Bisharp set. Chose Life Orb instead of Black Glasses to have more offensive presence.

I needed something to cover Bisharp's weakness to Fire and Ground. I first thought of Mega Sharpedo, which is a great pick but chose Greninja instead as I wanted to save the Mega slot which can be useful later. Greninja is great versus a variety of teams. Hydro Pump is for Fire and Ground, Ice Beam is for Pokemons like Garchomp, Extrassenary covers Fighting types and Gunk Shot for fairies. Greninja helps Bisharp with threat it struggles such as Hippowdon, Garchomp, Heatran etc. It also compensates for Bisharp's low base 70 Spe by dealing with Weavile and Entei. They both have good offensive synergy together by weakening the opposing team to help each other sweep.

Tyranitar is a great support as it gives Stealth Rock. Bisharp needs some chip damage to nab some KOes. It also provides speed control by Thunder Wave and thus halts opposing sweepers. Stealth Rocks encourage Defog which Bisharp can utilize to get a free boost in Attack.

By this point my team is extremely weak to fighting types. Also, with no hazard removal, my team will get worn down quickly. First, I thought about Mandibuzz but I chose Mega Sableye as it also keeps hazard in the opposing team, helps tremendously with fighting types, checks threats like Hippowdon and Mandibuzz and can spread burns so that Bisharp may sweep easily. It also helps against stall.

Now, added Muk to match the theme of the competition. Muk is a solid defensive pivot capable of dealing with threats like Tapu Koko and Magearna. Poison Jab along with Poison Touch has 60% chance to spread poison which is pretty neat. Fire Blast helps with Steel types mainly, but Muk's low attack stat doesn't help

Now I needed a revenge killer and late game cleaner for my team. Krookodile can fit that role perfectly, gaining an attack boost each time it kills by the virtue of Moxie, which is especially useful lategame. So, I'm somewhat happy with the team, it may be 6-0 by some types, but it is the type of team I appreciate.

twinkay

these bugs love all the sugar in my blood
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 156 Def / 64 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Foul Play

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Snarl

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpA
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Roar

Dark isn't really a defensive type but semistall seemed fun given the core so I decided to build that. Bisharp is a standard SD set with BlackGlasses > LO to give Bisharp more longevity, which is important because the team is very reliant on defensive synergy. Muk-A is AV and is the team's main special switch-in as well as Koko check. 156 Defense will always survive Band Tapu Koko's Wild Charge in Electric Terrain, and 36 Attack will guarantee the 2HKO on max Defense Tapu Fini. Most of Muk-A's checks are frail so I didn't feel I needed more Attack investment so I put the rest in Special Defense with a Special Defense boosting nature.

36 Atk Muk-Alola Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 186-218 (54 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Muk-Alola in Electric Terrain: 348-411 (84 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

36 Atk Muk-Alola Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 320-378 (113.8 - 134.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola in Electric Terrain: 133-157 (32.1 - 37.9%) -- 94.9% chance to 3HKO

The core was pretty ground weak and Mandibuzz is an auto-include on defensive Dark teams anyway so it seemed like a good fit, it also provides hazard removal for the team. Tyranitar is the team's Rocker and main lead, and has T-Wave to cripple important offensive threats. Pursuit allows you to trap wallbreakers such as Victini that pressure the team. Mega-Sableye is another auto-include on defensive Dark teams and is just a nice mon in general because Prankster + Wisp is great for shutting down walls and Mega can get easy set-ups with Calm Mind + Snarl. For the last slot I wanted a specially offensive Pokemon that could actually do damage and a secondary Ground check. I settled on bulky Hydreigon which is a super neat set, the EVs live a Scarf Terrakion's Close Combat from full. Devastating Drake demolishes certain Pokemon and allows you to clean late-game against slower teams (or teams with one fast physical mon which you can take a hit from). Roost is recovery and Roar is just filler, but it gives the team a phazer which is helpful.

Hope you like it!

Last edited:

Namranan

:)))))))))))
HO Dark (feat. Alolan Muk)

This team is built around the HO playstyle rather than a more balanced or hazard setting playstyle. Alolan-Muk may be slow put can surely apply pressure to other teams with its poison touch ability. Now I will talk about each mon and their use.

Alolan-Muk: (core 1/2)
Alolan-Muk is a way of countering fairies that may use the TR set. Even though it is slow, it is a powerhouse with moves like gunk shot and crunch. Shadow sneak is used for that prio and rock slide is used to deal with tanky birds and bugs.

Bisharp
Bisharp does the same thing Alolan-muk does, but with speed. Bisharp is not the fastest either, but it does have stab sucker punch which can land some good early game KO's. Defiant makes sure that intimidate users can be punished rather well. Each move it has is a response to fairy and other dark teams.

Weavile
Your standard Weavile Sweeper that takes out other scrafties and pangoros alike, and makes sure that those 1% sweeps don't happen.

Sharpedo-Mega
Standard Mega-Sharpedo sweeper that can take down dragons and lacks water coverage.

Honchkrow
Flynium-Z honchkrow is here to leave a giga impact on anyone who thinks they are funny and kills a sweeper. With the power of its z crystal and mirror move it will punish those who think they are going to sweep. Also STAB succ punch takes out most sweepers on +2, and gets more useful the more it kills. It also makes sure that ferrothorn dies and that hetran doesn't pull a prank on it.

Greninja
Standard Greninja with lo and a variety of moves that are not covered by the other mons.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Lonely Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Gunk Shot

Honchkrow @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Mirror Move
- Superpower
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Protect
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory
- Hydro Pump

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard

Last edited:
The Teambuilding portion of Cycle 8 of the Monotype Teambuilding Competition has now come to a close! Thank you to all who participated!

I'd like to remind everyone that you need to have to a paragraph or so describing your team and how it works with the core in order for your submission to be counted in the voting, so if you do not see it listed below, that would be why!

Remember to vote for a maximum of TWO teams, and not your own! I apologize for this cycle being delayed so much, I've had some real life stuff going on and not been around much. I'll be adding an extra two days on to voting for the two I delayed the project by. As such, the voting stage of Cycle 8 will conclude on Sunday, 3/5/17!

Additionally, now that I've been hosting this project for a while, I'm curious to hear back from you guys! I'm want to know what you all think I'm doing well- and what you think I could to differently to improve the quality of the project, so please feel free to add any comments along with your votes!

Finally, if you wish to vote for what Cycle 9's type will be, you may do so here.

Last edited:

Namranan

Alpha-Harpreet and 6ti

Also what your doing is good right now, I almost want to say I want you should challenge us more by making us use mons that are not used very often, but other than that everything is good.

The 8th Cycle of the Monotype Teambuilding Competition has now completed! This week we have a tie between 6ti and Alpha-Harpreet! Congratulations to both of you, your teams will both be recorded in the Hall of Fame!

I'm sorry that I'm late again- I've been busy with schoolwork as midterms are approaching, and of course will be adding on an extra day as a result!

This week I want to try something different in that I'll only be giving you guys one Pokemon to build around in order to allow more freedom in building! If this works out well I may do this more often in the future.

Without further ado, this week's type will be Normal, and the Pokemon will be:

Swellow!
Best of luck, teambuilders! The Deadline for this cycle will be next Wednesday, March, 15th!

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A Farm Produce

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Fire Punch
- Quick Attack

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Overview:
Since this time only one pokemon was given to build the team around, it allowed for more freedom to use however I personally feel two part cores should be given as it makes the participant to actually think trying to incorporate the two pokemon in the team and it is more challenging and forces to be more creative with the core. That being said let me give you an overview of the team here.This team is built around the fat walls that normal mono has access to, capable of walling almost the entire metagame. The core of chansey+pory2+defensive staraptor provides the team which much needed support in the form of stealth rock,speed control in thunderwave, defog for hazard control and the ability to check threatening physical and special attackers for the team. Swellow acts as a special wall breaker/revenge killer in the team since it has a very good speed and diggersby with a choice band is the physical wall breaker with a priority move.Lastly, poryogn z fills in the team by fulfilling the role of a threatening special sweeper with its z conversion set.

Choice specs swellow is used here. Boomburst hits hard when powered with a specs and also helps in cleaning or revenge killing the opposing team. Heatwave is to help out vs steel types not named heatran and empoleon. U-turn allows it to safely pivot while also gaining momentum to the team. Lastly tailwind is a filler move in the last slot as you will be hitting boomburst most of the time however tailwind allows diggersby to sweep much easily. Swellow and diggersby wall break and soften the opposing team where as chansey+p2+staraptor provides necessary support and porygonz cleans! Also this is my 50th post, lol getting there xD

Standard diggersby set. With a choice band it has the ability to 2ko the entire metagame using the appropriate moves. Frustration is its main stab normal move that nukes neutral targets hard. Earthquake helps vs grounded steel types and fire punch allows diggersby to break through skarmory,scizor,ferrothorn and stuff. Quick attack lets diggersby revenge kill or pick off a weakened pokemon much easily.

Chansey provides the team with much appreciated hazard in the form of stealth rock. Thunder wave to catch pokemon on the switch . Seismictoss as an attacking move and consistent damage and lasty softboild for sustain which allows chansey to effectively check threatening special attackers to a normal team.

Porygon2 with an eviolite and max defense investment becomes very bulky capable of handling some of the biggest threats in the metagame such as scizor. As for the moves, foul play allows it to punish physical attackers that set up on it, Ice beam has good coverage helping against dragon and flying types mainly. Thunder wave to slow down threatening and fast pokemon and recover for sustain.

Defensive staraptor with intimidate provides the team the ability to pivot and force out on physical attackers and to clear off hazards with defog. Brave bird hits decently hard even when uninvested and U-turn is for momentum and doing chip damage on potential switch ins. Roost for longevity

Porygonz with z conversion acts as a powerful set up sweeper that can clean very easily late in the battle. Porygonz becomes a ghost type with z conversion since shadow ball is the first move of the set. With adaptability and +1 special attack few pokemon can safely switch into porygonz. Ice beam+thunderbolt provide very good coverage in conjuction with shadow ball.

Last edited:
Swellow @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Close Combat

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
Just a bunch of special offense spam with U-turn and dual specs.

Standard normal defensive core with P2, Chansey and Staraptor to support a the offensive core of Swellow, Meloetta, and Diggersby. Specs Swellow handles Speed Control, outspeeding a lot of the unboosted metagame, while Meloetta and Diggersby break down defensive threats, Diggersby functions as a unexpected win-condition with Swords Dance to clean.

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Timid Nature
- Transform

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Conversion
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fire Punch

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind

HO Normal, to pull away from the normal bulky core. Team is extremely reliant on keeping webs up to ensure that you can outspeed most opposing mons. Swellow hits like a truck with boomburst, and after webs, outspeeds the entire meta outside of scarfed birds. Adamant band diggersby is scary as hell and can outspeed up to 380 speed mons after webs apply. Webs also works as a nice means of setting up z-conversion as you'll likely get your boosts before the opponent can hit you (in more situations than without webs). Scarf ditto is to handle set up sweepers.

Obvious downsides are it having trouble with common threats if webs are removed, as well as running 4 choice items (lol). I guess you could do the LO SD digg set, but where's the fun in that?

Last edited:

Swellow (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Whirlwind

Diggersby (M) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Transform

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Dodrio (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Jump Kick
- Knock Off

With Swellow's power and speed (not to mention its frailty), I had the idea to build a HO team built around it with a couple of twists:

Firstly: Sash SD Diggersby is used here instead of LO or CB to prevent the team from being swept by fast mons carrying Fighting-type coverage that aren't affected by Webs (see Electric replay) and to get an early sweep if the matchup allows me to do so (especially if Webs are up).

Secondly, CB Dodrio replaces Scarf Staraptor for the following reasons: a) With Webs, Swellow's Tailwind and Sash Diggersby (and its Quick Attack), I didn't see the need of sporting extra speed. b) Dodrio's Knock Off helps the team against opposing Normal teams (Scarf Staraptor's Close Combat fails to 2HKO P2 after SR), Ghost, Steel and Flying teams by crippling mons found on those teams that heavily rely on their item and possibly KOing them (it also provides a way to deal with Psychic teams without killing itself). c) Dodrio's Early Bird provides the team with a semi-reliable switch-in to sleep-inducing moves, especially from Breloom. d) CB Dodrio has a higher damage output than Scarf Staraptor (I even considered Band Staraptor at some point, but Dodrio's 110 base Speed was too good to pass up and Dodrio does enough damage to fulfill its purpose). e) Three heads is better than one. f) Dodrio actually CAN fly.

The team works quite simply: set up Webs and SR (if possible) against most types, SR only against Flying and lead with Swellow against a M-Sableye team (every Ghost and certain Dark teams). Indeed, Webs is a nice tool that greatly helps this team outspeed everything it needs to before smacking them with powerful moves or, in the case of PZ, comfartably setup before getting hit (which will happen in most cases). Then, if you know you can setup and sweep with PZ, do it. If not, take out key threats to PZ or simply wallbreak with Diggersby (if SR aren't up from your own side of the field) or one of the birds and play aggressively until the opponent loses. Against setup sweepers, either switch to Diggersby (with Sash still intact) as it sets up (especially against those without priority moves or slower than Diggersby before or after Webs) or stay in and sac your mon before switching in Ditto. This team is quite reliant on having Webs up, but it can still work without them against certain types (see Ghost and both Flying replays).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-544492453 (vs. M-Bee Poison)
After the team's Defogger is KOed, Smeargle then freely sets up Webs (disregard the opposing M-Bee not MegaEvolving the first time, and it actually changes nothing over the course of the match). After Diggersby's rampage, Swellow KOes the other half of the team (including Alolan Muk!).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-544497833 (vs. Rock)
Sash Diggersby makes a number against this team (and that number is 2).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-544674211 (vs. Ghost)
Didn't use Smeargle once in this match, and Swellow blows past SpDef Jellicent (with a prior Boomburst) and M-Sableye.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-544686295 (vs. Water)
At one point, I tried Explosion instead of Whirlwind to prevent Defogs and Rapid Spins from occuring. Looking at the replay, Tapu Fini probably didn't have Defog at all. Anyway, with Webs up, PZ sets up Z-Conversion against Scarf Pelipper (Turn 7) and almost sweeps the entire opposing team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-544703462 (vs. Electric)
Without a Zapdos in sight, Smeargle easily sets up Webs and Diggersby KOes Scarf Thundurus-T, which could've KOed my whole team if it wasn't for Diggersby's Focus Sash.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-544718900 (vs. Flying #1)
Swellow bashes its way through Skarmory, Zapdos, Landorus-I, and cripples M-ZardY before the opponent forfeits.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-544728582 (vs. Flying #2)
With AV Celesteela gone (Dodrio takes it out and then cripples Zapdos, which Staraptor couldn't have done) and SR up, PZ can comfortably set up Z-Conversion against Gliscor (Turn 12) and sweep the opposing team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-544771784 (vs. SSS (Salty Swift Swim) Water)
Once SR + Webs are up, PZ sets up Z-Conversion against CB Azumarill (Turn 6) and sweeps the opposing team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-544778086 (vs. Fighting)
Same scenario with PZ facing Cobalion at Turn 12.

Last edited:

twinkay

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- U-turn

Dodrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Quick Attack

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Conversion

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

This is pretty standard Normal aside from Swellow + Dodrio Flying spam, which I thought was kind of a neat idea. Sash + SD Dodrio can surprise set-up on weakened fast mons or slow mons, whichever you prefer, and Dodrio can lure Rock and Steel types that resist Swellow's Boomburst. Next I added Band Diggersby + Z-Conversion Porygon-Z which is a good offensive core that supports the birdspam core well. And set-up spam is fun. Finally I added the amazing defensive core of Chansey + P2, which gives us amazing defensive answers to fast mons like Tapu Koko that would otherwise be very threatening to the team, as well as hazards. This team is strange, I know, but I've had some success with it.

Namranan

Offensive Normies

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Kecleon @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Iron Head

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- Heat Wave

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Conversion
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

This team uses swellow in a way that makes it a nice special attacker rather than a guts attacker. It helps normal with the ghost matchup quite a bit, and does other things as I am about to show. Here are the roles of each of the mons on this team:

Chansey:
Chansey is used as the meat of the team. It gets the SR down and pokes out tanks that would otherwise trouble the entire team. Otherwise, it is just your standard chansey with eviolite for that nice SpD boost.
Swellow:
Swellow is used as a fast special attacker, and with choice specs, can take down a lot of ghosts that would otherwise trouble normal teams. However, it does suffer from taking down mons like dusclops and cofagrigus due to their tanky nature. However, swellow will help lower these tanks down to a sizable level so that the other special sweeper or chansey can take care of the rest of the team.
Kecleon:
Kecleon is considered a bad mon on normal, while I don't disagree, I still think that it helps a bunch with coverage. Although it ends up becoming bait most of the time during gameplay, when used right it can really make a difference to the team.
Staraptor:
Birdspam, nuff said.

Diggersby:
I used the scarfed variant because despite quick attack being good, it is still leaving him vulnerable to fast ghosts and ghost switch-ins, so I decided that Huge Power should make up for most of the power he loses without his band.
Pory:
Psychic pory is used to help with the fighting matchup, and yes while it may contradict what I said about countering ghost, pory is normal by default so using ghost on it would not be a smart idea as I can just choose to not convert. It is also the lategame sweeper that picks up the pieces the swellow leaves for it.

Last edited:
The Teambuilding portion of Cycle 9 of the Monotype Teambuilding Competition has now come to a close! Thank you to all who participated!

Remember to vote for a maximum of TWO teams, and not your own! The voting portion of this cycle will end on Sunday, 3/19/2017!

Finally, if you wish to vote for what Cycle 10's type will be, you may do so here.

(I'm really sorry that this is late again, I've been buried in midterms and schoolwork, I'll try to be on time with the dates this week!)

The winners of Cycle 9 of the Monotype Teambuilding Competition are both Alpha-Harpreet and Moosical! Congratulations! Both of your teams will be saved in the Hall of Fame.

As for Cycle 10, this week's type will be Electric, and the Pokemon involved will be...

Thundurus-Incarnate, and...

...Magnezone!
Best of luck, teambuilders! The submission deadline for Cycle 10 will be Wednesday, 3/29/17!

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
~Lethal Elektrons~

Thundurus @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sturdy
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

-Thundurus on the team takes care of mega venusaur and other threats to finish with flynium z set and many a times kills unsuspecting mega venusaur, which otherwise can wall the whole team with proper support. Thundurus on the team also deals with the fat walls of normal with the utility move knock off and superpower as normal teams are a pain for most electric monoteams. U-turn allows thundurus to maintain momentum even vs ground types. Since the core given of thundy+magnezone kinda made it "all special attacker" I made thundurus set physical to help out with that.

-Magnezone on the team sports specs boosted attacks with its high special attack it dents even targets that resist its move in electric terrain. Sturdy also helps a lot vs ground types as magnezone can do a lot more vs ground with sturdy as compared to magnet pull. hp grass is for water/ground types like gastradon,seismitoad and swampert. Magnezone with a specs works as a nuke to the opposing team, firing off strong attacks.

-Tapu koko is the other physical pokemon on this team as with brave bird for mega venusaur and other grass types, uturn to keep momentum even vs ground, wild charge as its stab physical electric move and hp ice is for dragon and ground types like garchomp,hippowdown,dragonite and so on. Life orb is used for more power to its move and the ability to freely switch between moves.

-Raichu alola works as a cleaner/sweeper on the team. With electric terrain doubling its speed,modest nature is used here as it has otherwise a mediocre special attack sitting at base 95. As for the moves, thunderbolt is the main stab move that hits hard thanks to life orb boost+stab+electric terrain boost. Psychic allows it to deal with mega venusaur which otherwise walls. Focus blast is for steel types like ferrothorn and specially defensive heatran. Lastly grass knot allows it to sweep ground better late game.

-Zapdos is the special wall here tanking most special attacks for the team and providing support with defog which is essential since magnezone has sturdy. Pretty standard set. Heatwave is for excadrill which otherwise is a problem. 16 spe evs allows it to outspeed adamant base 70 speed pokemon like breloom and hit it with volt switch or heatwave.

-Rotom wash, the physical wall on the team acts as a check to physical attackers such as kyurem and neutralizes them with will-o-wisp, volt switch for momentum and hydro pump as water stab that also helps immensely vs ground types. pain split is for recovery.

Shoutout
A big shoutout to @shinedrive for helping me with this team and testing it ^^.

252 Atk Thundurus Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 344-408 (95.8 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 250-296 (69.8 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 320-380 (75.1 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 157-186 (43.7 - 51.8%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16 SpD Hippowdon: 385-455 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 227-269 (71.1 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Where are my rocks?
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Taunt

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Psychic

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Calm Nature
- Heat Wave
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Roost

Thundurus @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
So not much to explain, given that 5/6 pokemon are pretty standard on Electric as it stands.

Magnet Pull Magnezone with Hidden Power [Fire] is able to trap and dispose of Ferrothorn and Choice Locked Excadrills that would otherwise keep Tapu Koko and Alola Raichu from sweeping.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 306-362 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna in Electric Terrain: 214-253 (58.9 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 128 SpD Scizor-Mega: 384-452 (111.9 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Fightium-Z Nasty Plot Thundurus seemed good for breaking normal instead of going on the physical side with Superpower, since Porygon2 is more dangerous to set up on than Chansey. 8 HP ensures you are 4HKOd by Seismic Toss (rather than 3HKOd).

+2 248 SpA Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 350-414 (93.8 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+4 248 SpA Thundurus All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 612-722 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
248 SpA Thundurus All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 306-362 (86.9 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

twinkay

creativity
Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 196 Atk / 60 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

Xurkitree @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Golem-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Galvanize
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Super creative electric offense. Thundurus + Mag are there for obvious reasons. Tapu Koko / Specs Xurk / Raichu-A is the offensive core that the team is centered around. The core is pretty self explanatory, really. Specs Xurk can bluff Z-Hypnosis and Scarf, allowing you to surprise checks with Specs. Magnezone traps and beats Steels the core has ta ground immunity and can spread Thunder Wave for the core. Golem-A is just there for guaranteed rocks, but Galvanize Explosion hits pretty hard too.

Could you do some more uncommon mons next time? This was kind of boring, especially due to how cut-and-dry Electric is already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)