Monotype Tournament Team ~ Flying

I have recently signed up for a Monotype Tournament on Serebii and would like to see how this team is. My first opponent is Dragon, and you may switch Pokemon during rounds, so I built my team around Dragon. You have to have 5 Pokemon of ypur type, and one that is a different type. Standard rules, and all that good stuff.

Butterfree (F) @ Focus Sash
Timid / Compoundeyes
4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SAtk
~ Sleep Powder
~ Tailwind
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Bug Buzz
Automatic Tailwind on the first turn, the Sleep the opponent on the next turn. Hidden Power Ice for Dragons and Bug Buzz for STAB.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Calm / Pressure
252 HP / 222 SDef / 36 Spe
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Thunder Wave
~ Roost
Special Defensive Roost Zapdos is go. Provides Paralysis support for my rather slow team, and can strike Dragons back with Hidden Power Ice. My main Special Wall.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Relaxed / Sturdy
252 HP / 40 SDef / 218 Def
~ Stealth Rock
~ Rapid Spin
~ Gyro Ball
~ Light Screen
Provides needed Spin Support for my Stealth Rock-weak team. Standard Physical Wall with Gyro Ball for STAB, Stealth Rock hurts the other team, and Light Screen helps support.

Dragonite (F) @ Life Orb
Adamant / Inner Focus
252 Atk / 192 Spe / 64 HP
~ Agility
~ Dragon Claw
~ Ice Punch
~ Fire Punch
This Dragonite is probably my best shot at Sweeping the opposing team. Agility on a switch, then proceed to kill with Ice Punches or STAB Dragon Claws. Fire Punch for coverage against his "wildcard".

Moltres @ Choice Specs
Modest / Pressure
42 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spe
~ Overheat
~ Air Slash
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Will-O-Wisp
Standard Specs Moltres with Hidden Power Ice for you-know-what. Overheat scores a OHKO on pretty much everything, and Air Slash for the cool flinch rate with Tailwind Support. Will-O-Wisp is basically a filler, and cripples Garchomp.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Calm / Pressure
252 HP / 96 Def / 64 SAtk / 96 SDef
~ Heal Bell
~ Ice Beam
~ Roost
~ Reflect
Wow, all three of the Legendary Birds! Articuno provides Heal Bell support to my Sweepers, and can strike back at Dragons with Ice Beam. I now have both Screen supports, which can aid my Dragonite in setting up. Roost for a reliable method of Recovery.

I have to have this team ready by tomorrow, so please rate now! Thanks!

Conan~~ Actually read his stuff first before being a idort. He is allowed one wildcard.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you apponent is running dragons, he must have pleanty of counters for their weakness; like fire, rock, and fighting. Mainly watch out for rocks.
For your dragonite, I would run dragon dance instead of agilty.
On my forretress, I have a lifeorb explosion, but that is just me.

Good Luck on your tourny. ^^

Actually, I find Agility is more useful, as after one, it can outspeed ScafGengar, which is pretty fast, at the cost of a little attack.

GB_Packers_Ftw

LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN
I dont see the reasoning behind dragonite. First definately i'd be running Dragon dance, and give it a yache berry. That way you can take care of scarfgar if it scares you that much. And in other news you now have a massive atack stat in the 600's. Thats hard to pass up. Also i dont see the reasoning behind running ice\fire\dragon. Instead make it outrage (ok dragon claw if you dont want to be locked)\ Earthquake\Fire punch.

To be honest, knowing that your opponent is going to use the Dragon type, this should be pretty easy if you plan correctly. Instead of just sticking Hidden Power Ice on every one of your Pokemon, why not plan accordingly to the threats?

Seriously, there are only 6 fully-evolved non-uber Dragon Pokemon...

Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Kingdra, Altaria, and Flygon.

Knowing this, I would suggest you change your Pokemon accordingly.

For example, what is Moltres actually going to be hitting with Overheat or Air Slash? Since you have the liberty of changing your team to fit your opponent, go straight for the pokemon that are going to be useful.

One quick thing before I leave, and you have a chance to respond to this. I second Dragon Dance on Dragonite, and you mind as well go with Outrage. Frankly, if you play it correctly you can probably just rip through his team with something along the lines of a Choice Scarf Dragonite with Outrage anyway.

It seems like the best route to go with a mono flying team would be a defensive one, given all of the typing's great resistances, and Roost. You could use Skarmory, Gliscor, Salamence, Gyarados, and then another sweeper of your choice, preferrably Charizard, or Moltres. The current team you have is too reliant on Rapid Spin from Forretress to survive, and the pokes I have listed, can all heal, with the exception of Gyarados and the other sweeper, who should be sweeping late game, so Forretress can actually do its job. Oh yes, Ice Punch seems like rather redundant type coverage. The only thing you hit harder with Ice Punch are grounds, so why not use Waterfall? It has a higher base power, and it also has a nice chance of flinch, which works well with Agility(which is COMPLETELY INFERIOR TO DD ON DRAGONITE!)

If you want to keep your team, you are going to need to rehaul your sets. Why is Butterfree running Tail Wind? The only true sweeper you have is Dragonite, who has Agility anyways. You want Moltres to gain more speed, why? Just to be giving Heatran a free flash fire boost?

Your team definitely needs a status absorber, and Zapdos is the perfect pokemon for it. Use Rest, Sleep Talk, Thunderbolt/Discharge, and Hidden Power [Ice]. You don't need that paralysis support anyways, and this way, you have more than 1 poke who can beat Blissey(granted it will be a very, very long stall war).

I dont see the reasoning behind dragonite. First definately i'd be running Dragon dance, and give it a yache berry. That way you can take care of scarfgar if it scares you that much. And in other news you now have a massive atack stat in the 600's. Thats hard to pass up. Also i dont see the reasoning behind running ice\fire\dragon. Instead make it outrage (ok dragon claw if you dont want to be locked)\ Earthquake\Fire punch.

agree, those moves provide better coverage... yache berry is also a good option too, you can get a DDance on the switch, like you would do with agility, survive one HPice, as you DDance again, then you have your agility+sd and you are ready to sweep

As a Wild Card, You should really consider Donphan over Forretress. You would lose Forretress's handy Dragon resist, but Donphan can Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock and most importantly, use Ice Shard. Furthermore, replace Articuno's Heal Bell with Ice Shard and you now have a failsafe against all Yache Berry Dragons. Plus, the more Ice Shards the better against a Dragon team. I would then make Zapdos a SleepTalker to absorb any status now that Heal Bell is gone. You can then always throw Skarmory in somewhere if you think you still need a Dragon Resist.

If your opponent is using a team of 5 dragons you can probably take out most of their team with a DD Dragonite and a DD Salamence. Give them each a Haban berry too. (it's the dragon resist berry)

hmmm
it's gonna be nearly impossible to defend against 5 dragons because you gotta figure that hes gonna shuffle around his moves to have everyone include either an ice, electric, or rock attack and probably fire too, that way having the flying type down and skarmory out with a fire attack. So, who laughs in the face of all these attacks? swampert! plus it packs ice attacks as well.

That being said, i recommend swampert being your only wall.
Anyway lets consider his possible choices.
Flygon [dragon/ground] 4x ice weak 2x dragon weak
Garchomp [dragon/ground] 4x ice weak, 2x dragon week
Altaria [dragon/flying] 4x ice weak, 2x dragon weak, 2x rock weak
Salamence [dragon/flying] 4x ice weak, 2x dragon weak, 2x rock weak
Dragonite [dragon/flying] 4x ice weak, 2x dragon weak, 2x rock weak
Kingdra [dragon/water] 2x dragon weak

at least 4/6 of his pokemon are gonna have a crippling ice weakness, but at least 5/6 are gonna have a dragon weakness.

Now swampert aside, how do you counter such beings of power? Defense maybe? NO!!!!
The answer is speed! you must rely on speed and speed alone to win this fight! except for swampert who is gonna be your only wall.

however, you have the advantage here. The top fastest types in the game are flying [aside from deoxys]!

SO! the following is the team i would use! [names and move sets only]

Yanmega [lead]
protect [need to get that speed up!]
hypnosis/substitute [hypnosis is not mandatory and substitute will give the extra speed and maybe a free attack]
hp ice [obvious]
air slash [stab and hits harder against kingdra]

Aerodactyl
[your gonna love this thing, use a choice band or scarf and have the appropriate nature for either]
ice fang [duh]
fire fang [i feel he might be packing a forretress or scizor]
stone edge/rock slide [stab for kingdra and goos against flying dragons as well]
dragon claw [solid choice]

Swampert [a mixpert? lawl use relaxed nature]
earthquake [for his wild card]
hp fire [for his wild card]
ice beam [for dragons]
stealth rocks [to stop any sashing dragons]

Articuno [still here]
use your set except relaxed and with ice shard over heal bell or roost. probably need to change nature.

Salamence [specs mence with a twist, use scarf over specs, the drop in attacking power won't make a difference because of all the super effective hits and you need speed speed speed]
Run the smogon set except with hpICE over hydro pump

Crobat [nastybat. try timid nature :D]
nasty plot [yup, we're going for special attack. after one of these, this thing is a moster]
hp ice [a little obvious]
air slash [stab]
hypnosis or dark pules, your choice.

anyway...sorry to turn your team inside out, but that's what i would do :D

given your situation i think

a. you need more pokemon that are not SR weak

and b. you need something that can take continuous dragon type hits.

hence i think skarm is a must on this team.

i also agree on changing forry to donphan. make it CB'd if you want for a stronger ice shard.

i'm a bit mixed on the nite. agility's not a bad idea since you can sweep if you get it off. however, i'm not sure why they would let nite just sit there and set up, especially since a monotype dragon team can always hit nite at super effective. i would prefer to see a scarfed version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)