Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I would agree that Zapdos should go to S thanks to it's fantastic typing and BST distribution which lets it wall a helluva lot of stuff while maintaining good offensive presence, I'm slightly opposed to the fact that if it does get bumped up, Flying would then have 6 mons considered S Rank in viability. Going from nani's post that is quoted in the OP:

I'm not sure that having 6 mons, a whole team, classified in this way is what we're aiming to get from these rankings. It seems to me that splitting ranks could be useful here, and maybe moving 2 down to A+ would give a better indicative of what is classed as essential / extremely important.

On Slowbro, I would again agree that this should go to S. It literally fills a niche on Psychic that pretty much nothing else can, or at least it outclasses them. Your options for Physical wall on Psychic go: Mew, Slowbro, Cresselia, Jirachi and Deo-D. Out of these, Mew is better suited to Special walling and support roles, Cresselia is absolute set up bait to anything with taunt or substitute, Jirachi prefers special walling or offensive sets, and any role deo-d could use is generally outclassed by Mew, leaving Slowbro as the only true candidate. It's for this reason that it's so common on Psychic teams, as well as it's excellent movepool and stats, meaning it can be tailored to wall or remove certain threats. Overall a very deserving S Rank.

I'm fine with Pinsir where it is to be totally honest, I believe that it's too frail and dependent on team support at times to go to S Rank. Remember it also comes with the cost of not being able to use Mega Heracross or Scizor. Haven't used Staraptor enough to give it fair reasoning.
I'm going to agree w/ AFD that flying should be an exception to the rule. There really are 6+ 'mons deserving of an S Rank and if one was to just go and chose S ranks w/o violating the species clause they would actually come up w/ a team that has all it needs to succeed: Skarm, Zapdos (assuming it goes up), Lando (either form, but therian is better), Thundy, CharX, filler. I know each of us has faced (or used) that exact team on the high ladder or in tours many, many times.

Water is a different story though...
There are 3-4 S ranks that form the attacking core seen on most of the top teams (Greninja, Keldeo, Azu, Gyara). Those 'mons will perform their role for the team w/o much support (I would say Gyarados is debatable as an S rank though). Moving beyond the current S ranks, we're mostly looking at 'mons that form the defensive/immunity core of the team. Each requires support to function effectively or shares a role w/ another A rank, which will make it unlikely for them to move beyond A rank and create a situation similar to flying w/ 6+ S ranks. For instance, it would be really hard to make the argument Lanturn, Swampert or Quagsire deserve to move up b/c a specific one outclasses the others.

I vote that Mega-Aggron be moved, not to a lower rank, but to steel. M-Aggron is pure Steel, not rock/steel
Mega Pokemon are allowed on the monotypes of their original forme's type. This has been the case since the introduction of Megastones.

It's why Charizard X is allowed on flying, but not dragon.

Mega Pokemon are allowed on the monotypes of their original forme's type. This has been the case since the introduction of Megastones.

It's why Charizard X is allowed on flying, but not dragon.
Thanks. Makes some sense, but I still think that Mega should be steel, if only for the fact that while rock/steel, it wouldn't even make it on the list.

I'm just going to throw one of the two pokemon I've reserved because he is easier to review.

I nominate Xatu for C rank in flying teams.

Pros:

-Good support due to access to double screens and Tailwind
-Has the almighty Magic Bounce, making other leads have a hard time doing their thing
-Access to Night Shade, meaning it won't become a huge set up fodder
-Decent bulk + Roost allows it to wall some things
-It's a Totem shaped bird flying like a kite.

Cons:
-Stats are average, even his bulk is only decent.
-Not a threat offensively
-More often than not, after setting screens, it loses it's use.
-Tailwind is almost not needed at all in flying type teams.
-Weirdly enough, it can't learn Whirlwind.

The annoying lead
Xatu @ Leftovers / Light Clay
252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Bold Nature
Night Shade / Toxic
Light Screen
Reflect
Roost / Tailwind

Really the best and probably only set to run on Xatu, dual screens to help your team take the hits better, Night Shade or toxic so you can do some damage to the enemy while they try to set up on you, Roost to help you wall a bit, and in case you think you don't need the recovery and want that speed bonus for your team, get Tailwind.

Summary: Xatu might be a good lead and anti-lead all in one, but due to the other pokemon in flying being really strong, Xatu will rarely get a spot on the flying teams, especially with Skarmory being a good enough lead for the team. Also the fact that his pros barely out weight the cons makes it only reach the C rank.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T TURTLE for C Rank (Rock):
Pros:

-High Attack and Defense
-Access to a Natural Focus Sash in Sturdy
-Priority in Aqua Jet
-Shell Smash

Cons:
-Still horribly slow
-Must rely on Weakness Policy and Shell Smash + Aqua Jet to do Damage to most mons
-Predictable
-Set revolves around being hit for SE damage

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-168568167 (Admittedly not against an RU Mono Damnit Dirpz)

S.W.A.T. Turtle, the Setup Sweeper:
Carracosta @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Earthquake
- Rof (Rock) Slide

Carracosta is one of the coolest turtles I have ever seen, and, it is also one of the hardest hitting ones, too. This set is a favorite of mine that, if played right, allows Carracosta to get +4 Attack and +2 Speed in one turn. Assuming all works well (Which is usually does), Carracosta can easily outspeed and KO a lot of the competition it is sent up against. At +2 Speed, Fully invested Jolly, Carracosta has 358 as a Stat, which is just 3 points short of a Fully invested Life Orb Jolly Ambipom's Speed stat of 361. This is an astronomical number for Carracosta, who is coming from teeny tiny base 32, being set on par with a 115 Speed pokemon. Carracosta also gains 945 Attack as a Stat after the +4 from Weakness Policy and Shell smash, and has STAB Prio in Aqua Jet to abuse that Incredibly High attack with, with Earthquake and Rock Slide for coverage and STAB respectively.

Now, there are obviously many holes in this set, but let's start with the Donphan in the room. I stated before that this set REQUIRES A weakness policy activation. 90% of the time when I use this set, I am hit for SE, but when I'm not, Carracosta is crippled by a literal 3rd of its attack stat, having only a 630 Attack Stat to work with. While this is still high, it will not rip through things as easily as 945 would, obviously. This Carracosta also has no means of recovery, leaving it death fodder should you have to switch out, which may very well happen at any time. Another issue is that, While it has Priority and 358 Speed after Shell Smash, it is still easily Outsped and KO'd by a number of pokemon, including anything with Extremespeed.

Carracosta is not the best pokemon, but it is most certainly not the worst. It hits too heavily for D rank, and perhaps has too many flaws for B Rank, so I therefore believe that Carracosta is perfectly at home in the:

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are only used to check a threat once or twice (Both Offensive and Defensive). These Pokemon often run unorthodox sets since other Pokemon outclass their primary niches. Using these unorthodox sets may put you in danger of set up mons. These Pokemon need a lot of support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.

Last edited:
I'm just going to throw one of the two pokemon I've reserved because he is easier to review.

I nominate Xatu for B rank in flying teams.

Pros:

-Good support due to access to double screens and Tailwind
-Has the almighty Magic Bounce, making other leads have a hard time doing their thing
-Access to Night Shade, meaning it won't become a huge set up fodder
-Decent bulk + Roost allows it to wall some things
-Renders almost every prankster set useless due to Magic Bounce
-It's a Totem shaped bird flying like a kite.

Cons:
-Stats are average, even his bulk is only decent.
-Not a threat offensively
-More often than not, after setting screens, it loses it's use.
-Tailwind is almost not needed at all in flying type teams.
-Weirdly enough, it can't learn Whirlwind.

The annoying lead
Xatu @ Leftovers / Light Clay
252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Bold Nature
Night Shade / Toxic
Light Screen
Reflect
Roost / Tailwind

Really the best and probably only set to run on Xatu, dual screens to help your team take the hits better, Night Shade or toxic so you can do some damage to the enemy while they try to set up on you, Roost to help you wall a bit, and in case you think you don't need the recovery and want that speed bonus for your team, get Tailwind.

Summary: Xatu might be a good lead and anti-lead all in one, but due to the other pokemon in flying being really strong, Xatu will rarely get a spot on the flying teams, especially with Skarmory being a good enough lead for the team. Also the fact that his pros barely out weight the cons makes it only reach the B rank.
I honestly think this is fair. I've never used Xatu the short time I mained flying, and it does seem sub-par, but when I run into one I just can't seem to get the damn thing to die. I see it a lot more on Psychic, honestly, and there I feel like the tailwind is welcomed graciously. But on flying I can't see it getting past B Rank or maybe Upper C Rank.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
As usual All Falls Down and scpinion you guys make great and well backed up points, and yeah looking at it, it is understandable that Flying would have the most high tier mons.

Mega Luvdisc Alomomola for C Rank
Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald / Waterfall / Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Set Details: This is Alomomola's best, and to be honest only set. This makes use of it's best attributes, namely it's massive HP stat, decent Defense and access to Wish in order to become a great team supporter, keeping the likes of Swampert, Lanturn and Tentacruel healthy throughout the match. Wish is key to how the set works, as it is the move that defines Alomomola's niche, with it's huge HP any wishes passed will have the effect of healing most of the targets HP. Protect is there to make Wish reasonably reliable recovery, however watch out for things that could abuse the Protect turn, such as hazard setters or set-up moves. Toxic is Alomomola's main way of wearing down the opponent and tries to dissuade set-up sweepers. It also synergizes well with Protect. The final move is an attacking move to prevent being total Taunt bait. Scald has great utility, being able to burn opponents when they switch in and it makes the opponent think twice when playing around Alomomola. Don't expect any real damage output from that base 45 SpA stat though. Knock Off is also an option, as it has more reliable utility in being able to remove items, which is detrimental to most mons. Finally Waterfall is the best option if you just want raw damage output, however it doesn't hit anything particularly hard. A physically defensive spread is pretty much the only viable spread, as even with huge HP, base 45 SpD isn't going far.

Explanation: When you look at Alomomola, you think 2 things. One, why isn't this Luvdisc's evolution, and two why would I want to use this? The answer to 2 is that this is a great way to massively boost the longevity of your team when played right. Water has some great mons, namely the 3 I mentioned in set details, who all despite being very good at their jobs, just wished they had recovery. This is what Alomomola provides, it essentially supports the other mons so that they can wear down the team throughout the match while getting massive wishes and coming out of confrontations unscathed. It is also a decent physical wall in itself, able to tank more than it's fair share of hits and keep healing and wearing down the opponent with Toxic or Scald burns.

Why C Rank? Using Alomomola generally limits you to a very specific teamstyle in stall or at the very least, bulky offense. This is due to offensive pokemon generally being unwilling to take hits in order to receive a wish pass. It is also massive set-up bait for Pokemon with Substitute or Taunt if they don't fear burns, which means that while it's a very good mon when utilised right, it's very limiting in teambuilder and can struggle to pull it's weight at times.

Also, Anttyaz, would you like me to edit Megachomp for Ground to reflect it's new A Rank? and if so, is there anything you want adding?

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Apologies for the double post

MattLikesHax said:
Nominating Smogon Bird Jr. (Fletchinder) For C Rank (Fire)

As the majority of Monotypers know, long gone of are they days of Smogon Bird (Talonflame)'s tyranny. Talonflame was a monster on the field, despite its rather pathetic stats, besides speed, it gained an ability specific to its family, which allowed it to murder Grass, Bug, Fighting, and the occasional badly built steel team.

Gale Wings.

Which brings us to Fletchinder, A.K.A. Smogon Bird Jr.

While it is true that Fletchinder does not have the base 126 Speed that Talonflame had, it is only a small 8 Base Attack Stat away from its adult form, and, while losing Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, still has an, albeit small, niche.

Set 1:
Fletchinder @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Flail
- Roost / Flame Charge

Set 2 (Props to Arifeen):
Fletchinder @ Itemless
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252Atk/4SpD/252Spe
Adamant nature
-Swords Dance
-Roost
-Acrobatics
-Will-O-Wisp

Smogon Bird Jr. has the ability to set up a Swords Dance while sash is activated due to its frailty, and then Sweep on turn two with a 110 Power (STAB: 165) Acrobatics, or a 200 Power Flail, which will dent if not OHKO quite a few pokemon.

I can sense your doubt, so, Here are some Calcs done by yours truly. These are some Pokemon that Fire tends to have trouble against:

+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 722-852 (239.8 - 283%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 590-696 (182.6 - 215.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 373-441 (130.4 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Flail (200 BP) vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 309-364 (85.5 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 208-246 (51.8 - 61.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now, of course, Fletchinder is not the perfect pokemon, and it still is an NFE. Fletchinder is easily destroyed by Stealth Rocks, Extremespeed, multi-hit moves, and anything just plain faster than it. Roost can only do so much, and it still has sub par stats, leaving it to rely on Swords Dance and Acrobatics or Flail, which isn't amazing coverage. Which is why I nominate it for:

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are only used to check a threat once or twice (Both Offensive and Defensive). These Pokemon often run unorthodox sets since other Pokemon outclass their primary niches. Using these unorthodox sets may put you in danger of set up mons. These Pokemon need a lot of support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.
It clearly has it's niche, in that it's a great revenge killer for anything weak to acrobatics, and as your calcs show, actually hits quite hard after a SD. I also think that it give Fire a lot of help against Fighting in particular, which strangely is quite a difficult matchup for Fire due to all the Rock coverage these teams tend to bring. Being able to eliminate Keldeo most of the time unboosted after SR and Terrakion after SR at +2 is quite a feat, and backed with the rest of the team, really helps in this matchup.

252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 296-350 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 295-348 (91.3 - 107.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Tbh, I'm really undecided on the ranking for this, as it has a case to be either B or C. I like the look of B for it thanks to it's ability to run through several types of teams under the right conditions, however it does need a lot of support and doesn't really help in some of the more difficult matchups for Fire, in particular Ground, as Hippowdon can wall it's hits all day, set up rocks and break it's sash with Sandstorm. It doesn't appreciate the residual damage from WoW burns however. Overall I would say C, but certainly it has enough going for it that an argument for B could be made.

Hawlucha (Flying) for C Rank

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Taunt / Substitute
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Sky Attack

Adamant is chosen over Jolly because Hawlucha needs the power, and nothing will outspeed it after an Unburden boost.
Sky Attack is to activate Unburden. It's a one time use thing tho
High Jump Kick is the best Fighting STAB for Hawlucha since it hits harder than everything else
Acrobatics takes advantage of Hawlucha's no item, and unlike Sky Attack, it can be used even after switching out.
Swords Dance is for extra power, while Taunt is, well, to taunt. Substitute eases prediction and prevents status.

Credit to Huty

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Adamant Nature
- Hone Claws
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Sky Attack

This set is made for the people who seem to always miss Sky Attack and High Jump Kick. Hone Claws boosts both Attack and Accuracy which is pretty sweet for a Pokemon like Hawlucha.
Everything else is like the set above.

Credit to Salamance

Hawlucha @ Life Orb
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Taunt / Filler

Not too sure if I got the set right, but feel free to correct me

This set prevents stuff like Thundurus-I from paralyzing your sweeper. Also, unlike Landorus / Gliscor, Hawlucha can outspeed Thundurus and isn't 4x week to HP Ice.
Jolly is needed to outspeed Timid Thundurus so the power loss is noticeable.
U-turn is to scout switches or to force them.
High Jump Kick is always the best STAB Fighting move for Hawlucha
Taunt / Filler is because I seriously don't know what to put. Bounce could be an option, but it's bad, and SD won't really work on a set w/ U-turn. Just put whatever you need.

Explanation: Hawlucha is hardly used in Flying monotypes because it's just outclassed. Its only niche is to outspeed the rare Swift Swim Kingdra / Kabutops / Ludicolo. Otherwise, you're better off using a Landorus-T or a Staraptor.

Also, DM35 I'll do it now. I need people to write the new writeups tho.

Last edited:
> Please enter a message with no more than 65000 characters.

I guess it's time to shed some stuff off of the original post. I'll have a talk with Nani Man and Sae about some D rank Pokemon that could be taken off since they're E rank material

Or you could add a "Part 2" post here, and then take off maybe the joke god ranks to add a link. Or Shedinja Rank.
I'll try and keep it on the same post, but I'll move some text and stuff. If it gets really bad I could take away the reservation lists, but I doubt it'll be that bad

But.. but.. Mantyke :[
(I'll remove Shedinja but other Pokemon will be decided later)

I have an idea. When you go to list the ranks for mons, take the description out, since you already have them quotes at the top.

IE:

<Quotes>

S Rank:
*Mons*

A Rank:
*Mons*

Ect.

Last edited:
By the way, Antt, any thoughts on Carracosta?

Also, I have an idea. When you go to list the ranks for mons, take the description out, since you already have them quotes at the top.

IE:

<Quotes>

S Rank:
*Mons*

A Rank:
*Mons*

Ect.
S.W.A.T Turtle 4 Lyfe.
Yeah, I agree with C Rank since it has its niches and it can easily dismantle unprepared teams apart w/ the given support. The one thing I would question is why Iron Head? You're way better off w/ Rock Slide or Stone Edge since you can hit Mence / Dragonite and Grass types neutrally. Also, STAB's always nice when you're at +4 ^^

I have an idea. When you go to list the ranks for mons, take the description out, since you already have them quotes at the top.

IE:

<Quotes>

S Rank:
*Mons*

A Rank:
*Mons*

Ect.
That's entirely possible, but if I were to do it I'd remove the ones on the top since it just looks prettier that way (no matter how hard I try, I like to be neat :[ )

S.W.A.T Turtle 4 Lyfe.
Yeah, I agree with C Rank since it has its niches and it can easily dismantle unprepared teams apart w/ the given support. The one thing I would question is why Iron Head? You're way better off w/ Rock Slide or Stone Edge since you can hit Mence / Dragonite and Grass types neutrally. Also, STAB's always nice when you're at +4 ^^
I honestly don't remember why I put Iron head on it. Maybe because it had 100% Accuracy and the same flinch chance as Slide? Idk. Now that I think about it, though... Yeah, let me fix that on the set.

Raikou (Electric) for B rank

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 76 Def / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

The most defensive of Raikou's CM sets, this one has meaty substitutes that can live the non-Stab U-turn from base 100 pokemon and basically any giga drain in the game. However it dosen't serve as well as a pivot as it could, and boltbeam coverage is not as perfect as Raikou wants it to be, which means you'll need to wear some threats down before starting this up. Alternatively you can run full spatk/speed so that after your calm mind you immediately have the power of a specs set, although this one will have a better chance of getting multiple ones off.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Extrasensory

Eelektross is a competitor as an assault vest user (notably beating lando-I), but Raikou is actually decently bulky for an electric pokemon otherwise. Even without a special attack boosting nature or item, 252 EVs allows it to OHKO breloom and 2HKO virtually any other fighting type with extrasensory, as well as deal considerably more chip damage than eelektross against all other types with your main moves. Icing on the cake is outspeeding keldeo or thundurous-I either for revenge or tanking purposes and being able to mess up either 's day regardless of which set they use.

Raikou @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

The event set of Raikou gets rash, which is SpA+ and SpD-. This makes using aura sphere on a choice set (despite extra coverage) a bit of a gamble, since you can't outspeed base 108 and 110 scarfers anymore or in the case of a specs set Keldeo and terrakion get the first attack. Thankfully, at full health, even with a defense subtracted, Raikou can tank special attacks equal to or weaker than timid hetran's earth power or physical hits weaker than machamp's Dynamic Punch. This set works best as a wall breaker after sticky web support.Life orb Extreme speed with 0atk EV will get ~20% on infernape and greninja and ~18% on keldeo and salemance. It also stops sturdy/sash+ shell smash pokemon from laughing at your lack of damaging entry hazards.

Raikou @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Extreme Speed
- Hidden Power Ice
- Aura Sphere

The DPP lead is for people who hate breloom, and smeargle, (and scolipede pass version I guess). With Thundurus-I though, it is mostly outclassed. However, it's coverage and ability to tank a hit if needed allows it to stop most other leads from ever doing anything outside of their initial hazards or non lethal attack. stops sturdy/sash+ shell smash/unburden pokemon from laughing at your lack of damaging entry hazards.

Raikou @ Life Orb/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch /Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Extrasensory

These are basically "lesser" versions of Mega Manetric. However, It can preform similarly and if you want to scarf it can stop any other opposing scarfer. A life orb set giving up Volt switch can maintain pressure on the same things manetric chases (except scarfed 70s and +nature 120) and on a late game switch in, after they've gotten into the groove of running to their tanks, it can break out the cm for a sweep.

Raikou is a step down from the core pokemon used on electric teams. It's a very small step though, as it can provide offensive pressure and has the rare utility of tanking a hit. It even gets light screen as a support move and you could even make beleive it was crocune if you were that obsesssed with having a status absorber in rest talk. Generally though, mega manetric does it's job better, but in his absence (ampharos teams) Raikou becomes the best recipent of the slow volt turns and speed control that galvantula/eelektross/rotom/discharge hax provide.

Last edited:
Hawlucha for B Rank

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Taunt / Substitute
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Sky Attack

Adamant is chosen over Jolly because Hawlucha needs the power, and nothing will outspeed it after an Unburden boost.
Sky Attack is to activate Unburden. It's a one time use thing tho
High Jump Kick is the best Fighting STAB for Hawlucha since it hits hard
Acrobatics takes advantage of Hawlucha's no item, and unlike Sky Attack, it can be used even after switching out.
Swords Dance is for extra power, while Taunt is, well, to taunt. Substitute eases prediction and prevents status.
Explanation: One may question why Hawlucha would get any usage. Yeah, it gets a cool Flying / Fighting typing, but its 92 base attack may seem a little disappointing at times. Even Sky Attack would fail to KO a majority of healthy Pokemon, and a Scarfed Terrakion would be better in terms of power and speed. So you're better off thinking that Hawlucha's an anti anti-fighting Pokemon. (This is totally not confusing..) Its Flying typing lets it avoid Sticky Web, and not a lot of Bug types can stop a Hawlucha after Unburden. Its second purpose is to make Fighting vs Fighting matchups less speed tie based. Instead of relying on Medicham vs Medicham, or Keldeo vs Keldeo you can just set up Hawlucha and SWEEP. Its final purpose is to beat Swift Swim. (although its usage has dropped down quite a lot) HJK 1HKOs Kabutops, and can severally damage Kingdra. Acrobatics kills Ludicolo.

Hawlucha is a late game sweeper, nothing else. Using it too early will make it seem weak and horrible.

I think you might want to slash in Hone Claws as well since both hjk and Sky attack have a small chance to fail, and even if it's small, some people might be more comfortable running it, especially due to hjk's recoil.

Pyroar---->C-Rank (Normal)

-Pyroar makes up a niche for itself on a Normal Monotype team with its unique typing+High Special Attack and Speed.
-Its unique typing allows Pyroar to take down one of Normal Monotypes most challenging matchups Steel.
-With a strong Fire Blast Pyroar can melt any Steel Types not named Heatran or Empoleon.
-STAB Hyper Voice gives it neutral coverage against Water types.
-Negatives are that it is quite frail,it has a hard time against Bulky Water and Rock Types.
-None of its ability are beneficial to it and some times 109 SpA just does not cut it.

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power Ground

-Fire Blast is its main move,used to KO steel types with ease.
-Hyper Voice gets STAB and hits many Water Types hard.
-Dark Pulse allows you to hit Psychic types and Slowbro a bit harder.And also to hit Ghost types such as Chandelure and Jellicent.
-Hidden Power Ground is exclusively for Heatran.
-Life Orb is another option which allows you to hit just as hard but you can switch moves.
-Hidden Power Grass could be used to hit Swampert,Quagsire and Rock Types.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)