Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Toxicroak (Poison) for B rank:

As always, there are other sets used but I'll only list the one I use, feel free to post yours.

Toxicroak (M) @ Black Sludge / Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

Swords Dance is an amazing boosting move that makes Toxicroak a powerful Sweeper, Gunk Shot used as a powerful STAB attack with a cool 30% of poison the target; Steel- and Rock-types that resist Gunk Shot are dealt with by Drain Punch, healing Toxicroak in the process and making sure that it can't be worn down too easily by Life Orb recoil. In the last spot we have Sucker Punch, a powerful priority move that deals damage to Psychic weakened pokemon that outspeed, after a Swords Dance boots, Sucker Punch can be used to sweep teams. Also nice Dry Skin to absorb water type attacks.

Why B rank?
Despite being a cool pokemon, Toxicroak suffers from low defenses, both being 65 base and a mediocre 85 speed. Being weak x4 to Psychic types doesn't help at all due to Psychic being a huge threat to Poison Mono teams, other than that Toxicroak is a good overall Pokemon.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Gallade(Fighting) for B Rank.

Philip(Gallade)(M)@Leftovers
Ability: Steadfast (because who seriously uses Dark moves against a Fighting mono? Justified is just too situational anyways.)
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk(or you could have 4 Def for a very small amount more livability), 252 SpDef
Careful Nature
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Knock Off/Night Slash/Rock Slide

Basic gist of this set is like a slightly worse Bulk Up Scrafty set. The reason it's worse is because of the less immediate physical Defense. This, however should be no problem if you switch-in on a Special Attacker at the right time. Another problem is the lack of reliable recovery that Gallade needs to use this set well. However, Gallade's amazing SpDef is amazing, and again, if you switch in correctly, Gallade can do quite well. Rock Slide is for those annoying Flying types that get in the way

OR you could try this set...

Philip(Gallade)(M)@Assault Vest
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def(you could also stick it into SpDef or Spe if you want)
Adamant Nature
-Drain Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Rock Slide
-Knock Off/Night Slash

Assault Vest makes Gallade's already super SpDef go even higher. Again, switch-in on a special attacker, force a switch, and attack. It does have the same problems as the above set, but it can still do well. Rock Slide and Knock Off/Night Slash is good coverage. There's not much to say about this one...

You could also try this one...

Philip(Gallade)(M)@Leftovers
Ability:Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk(or Def), 252 SpDef
Careful Nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Will-O-Wisp
-Drain Punch

This actually isn't a bad set. Could be like a Mew set, but for Fighting. Wish support can help a bit, I guess. If you're going for Hyper Offensive Fighting, then you obviously won't be using this set. Wish support won't help if all your Pokemon faint in one hit. Will-O-Wisp is generally a good move. Except for the miss chance, it also cripples physical attackers and makes up for the lower Def. Ghost does a pretty good job of handling this set.

All in all, Gallade is alright for Fighting. Fighting lacks defensive Pokemon. The ones that I could think up of off the top of my head are Cobalion, Virizion, Hitmontop, and Gallade. That's it. Anyways, Gallade has a good type. It's also quite the special tank. And really, Fighting needs some defensive Pokemon. However, Gallade's con is its lack of physical Def and no reliable recovery. People can use this to their advantage. But Gallade is still an amazing specially defensive Pokemon and can be great at taking hits and dealing damage too. Its support set is welcomed quite well into Fighting because of the Wish-passing, and the Will-O-Wisp helping to sweep and cripple physical attackers which is always nice. However, its Bulk Up set is outclassed by Scrafty. So I say B Rank for Gallade.
I do agree with your ranking and your sets are all fine. The only thing I want to mention is that Dark moves will be used against Fighting teams more often than you think. With Knock Off having such a major presence in this generation and with Sucker Punch being just as common as always, Gallade having to take a Dark move is much more likely than you might think. I'm not saying Justified is the better ability, but I do think it's wise to put it as a slash next to Steadfast. Personally, I'd rather use Justified over Steadfast, but I see the uses for both.

I do agree with your ranking and your sets are all fine. The only thing I want to mention is that Dark moves will be used against Fighting teams more often than you think. With Knock Off having such a major presence in this generation and with Sucker Punch being just as common as always, Gallade having to take a Dark move is much more likely than you might think. I'm not saying Justified is the better ability, but I do think it's wise to put it as a slash next to Steadfast. Personally, I'd rather use Justified over Steadfast, but I see the uses for both.
Fixed! Thank you for your input. I completely forgot about Sucker Punch and Knock Off being really common this gen.

upload_2014-10-26_15-26-46.png
Heracross for B Rank (Fighting)

Notable moves
- Brick Break
- Close Combat
- Counter
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Night Slash
- Rock Slide
- Stone Edge

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie/Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide

This is the regular standard set for Heracross is really nice does decent damage and if you get a kill moxie kicks in.
Reasons for B Rank: It has really one standard job but it does it well.

upload_2014-10-26_15-42-38.png
Heracross-Mega for C Rank (Fighting)

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast

Its nice and reg set
Reason its C Rank: Its not that good Regular Heracross can destroy teams even better, also Mega-Medicham is much better

Jolteon (electirc) for C rank

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Grass

I recomends HP grass as an electric team enjoys sniping the likes of swampert, gastrodon, and Lanturn, and your conventional M manectric, and thundrus will be better able to use hidden power ice with their ability to switch attacks. Full speed spreads are used to beat almost any unboosted pokemon, including skymin and bulky spreads of +1 gyarados, (for example the 144 spE spread appearing earlier in this thread.}

Jolteon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass

Designed to shuffle jolteon's usual switch in's this DPP set is lacking in monotype because electric team's cannot add to the hurt with hazards or provide cleric support to salvage him should anything go wrong. On the other hand, Protect by itself allows you to scout if jolteon is faced with something like scarf terrakion, and prevents guessing wheteher stone edge or close combat will come out, which may be pivotal depending on what resistances your team has.

Jolteon has come out the worse for the wear with competetion like mega manetric,and Thundurus. Many of his subpass set's greatest partners, do not exist in the monotype environment, and his coverage is no better than the pseudo bolt beam of most electric scarfers, while oppurtunites to use him come up less often due to lack of immunity or intimidate to soften enemy attacks. He does get access to the rare wish and heal bell, but his bad bulk and the smallness of his heals (174 with full hp investment) make this mostly a gimmick, although foddering jolteon to say, remove toxic from zapdos, could change the game. He has been known to run Hyper offensive charge beam sets before, as with both life orb and a single spatk boost, he can 2HKO gliscor with shadow ball and blitz most anything else with thunderbolt or HP grass. He's also extremely priority weak even to the resisted bullet punch. Personally, I only recommend jolteon if you want to use a hybird set of thundrus or manetric (idk bulk up and switheroo ) and still have something that can reliably provide the checks their standard sets provide.

Last edited:
Jolteon (electirc) for C rank

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Flagship jolteon, can run Leftovers, but now that electric types don't have stun spore and t wave directed at them, it loses status attempts to set up on, and the extra power is useful in neutral match ups. With 1 turn of sub, a thundurus, or mega ampharos may have all the time they need to really make their presence felt.

Jolteon @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Agility

If you really want one of your teamates to go fast, use BP zapdos. With HP ice over substitute, it can sometimes double as an emergency +1 dragon check, although of course thundrus-I with t wave does this way better.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Grass

I recomends HP grass as an electric team enjoys sniping the likes of swampert, gastrodon, and Lanturn, and your conventional M manectric, and thundrus will be better able to use hidden power ice with their ability to switch attacks. Full speed spreads are used to beat almost any unboosted pokemon, including skymin and bulky spreads of +1 gyarados, (for example the 144 spE spread appearing earlier in this thread.}

Jolteon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass

Designed to shuffle jolteon's usual switch in's this DPP set is lacking in monotype because electric team's cannot add to the hurt with hazards or provide cleric support to salvage him should anything go wrong. On the other hand, Protect by itself allows you to scout if jolteon is faced with something like scarf terrakion, and prevents guessing wheteher stone edge or close combat will come out, which may be pivotal depending on what resistances your team has.

Jolteon has come out the worse for the wear with competetion like mega manetric,and Thundurus. Many of his subpass set's greatest partners, do not exist in the monotype environment, and his coverage is no better than the pseudo bolt beam of most electric scarfers, while oppurtunites to use him come up less often due to lack of immunity or intimidate to soften enemy attacks. He does get access to the rare wish and heal bell, but his bad bulk and the smallness of his heals (174 with full hp investment) make this mostly a gimmick, although foddering jolteon to say, remove toxic from zapdos, could change the game. He has been known to run Hyper offensive charge beam sets before, as with both life orb and a single spatk boost, he can 2HKO gliscor with shadow ball and blitz most anything else with thunderbolt or HP grass. He's also extremely priority weak even to the resisted bullet punch. Personally, I only recommend jolteon if you want to use a hybird set of thundrus or manetric (idk bulk up and switheroo ) and still have something that can reliably provide the checks their standard sets provide.
In all honesty, nobody would try and status a Jolteon since it's so frail so Substitute wouldn't really help at all. Jolteon's main purpose is to hit hard with Specs and have the Speed to Volt Switch away if the opponent does stay in. It also lets you save your Mega slot and the Specs set hits harder than Mega Manetric at the cost of less coverage / no Intimidate. If you use Life Orb, the power loss is extremely noticeable so there's no point using that. As for the Sub + Agility + Yawn sets, they were only decent in 4/5th Gen when Scarf Electivire was king. However, this is Monotype and I doubt anyone's going to Thunderbolt / Para an Electric Monotype. It is also extremely hard to keep your Focus Sash alive and you lose it when you Substitute. Jolteon's weak without a boosting item anyways.

252 SpA Jolteon Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 192-228 (45 - 53.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If someone uses Jolteon in Monotype they should only be running this set:

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature / Modest Nature (With Sticky Web)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball / Signal Beam
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass

Specs is mandatory since Jolteon's weak without it. EVs are standard. Jolteon gets shitty coverage anyways

Thunderbolt is a hard hitting STAB
Volt Switch lets you gain momentum and is pretty helpful since it gets STAB
HP Ice should always be used above HP Grass because of BoltBeam. HP Grass should only be used if you're really really struggling with Gastrodon.
Shadow Ball hits Ghosts / Lati@s harder while Signal Beam 1HKOs Celebi.

I agree with C rank tho
Edit: I will still add this but I strong advise changing the sets

Last edited:
Mega-Absol (Dark) for B Rank

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified (Magic Bounce for Mega)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Night Slash/Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
- Play Rough/Return/Superpower/Stone Edge

Mega Absol's useage as a whole serves a few niches. Firstly, Mega Absol is one of few (if not the only) offensively based pokemon with Magic Bounce, serving as an amazing anti-lead that can both cripple a status inducing (or stealth rock using) pokemon and KO it extremely quickly.

Mega Absol also serves a class threat as a revenge killer. With a massive base 150 attack stat, anything not specced heavily into physical defense and/or is resistant to dark type moves will likely lose around 60% of their HP from a single Sucker Punch. If you are faster than your opponent(and with base 115 speed, this is most of the time), and don't want to risk a miss, Night Slash works just fine, but Knock Off is better if you don't mind missing the amount of coverage Play Rough brings. The last two moves are used as coverage type moves. Fire Blast works off of Mega Absol's great base 115 special attack stat and is used to combat most steel and bug type pokemon, as both tend to be weak to fire (several being doubly so) as well as pokemon with high physical defenses. The last move is type coverage against whatever your team may have issues with or just strong offensively neutral options, but I heavily recommend Play Rough, as it gives you an out against fighting types. With this set, your Mega Absol is not only set to revenge kill, but also potentially sweep the endgame.

Mega Absol does come with some drawbacks, however. Firstly, Knock Off and Play Rough (aka best combo ever) are incompatible, so you have to choose one of the two. The other major comeback is that this set uses both physical and special type damage, you need to make due with a less than perfect Nature and lower Absol's already mediocre at best defensive stats. Lonely and Naughty are better if you prefer more offense, while Hasty and Naive are better if you're willing to sacrifice some damage for speed. This forces Absol into a glass cannon sweeper role, which may not be preferred by some.

Decided by me and Sae :]

Swadloon (Grass) D -> Unranked

There is so reason to use this since Levanny outclasses in almost way and Swadloon doesn't get any notable moves to use. Unlike Levanny, Swadloon isn't Taunt bait. Horrible typing as well.

Jumpluff (Grass) D -> Unranked

If you want a Swords Dancer then go with Sceptile. It has a "better" physical movepool anyways. Whimsicott is way better as an annoyer since it gets Prankster.

Hawlucha (Flying) -> D -> C Rank

It isn't D Rank bad tbh. It makes an excellent late game sweeper with Acrobatics and HJK. Has access to Taunt + Swords Dance / Bulk Up as well.

Carbink (Fairy) C -> Unranked

There is no reason to use this over Diance.

Qwilfish (Water) C -> D

Tentacruel fills the role much better as a Spike / Toxic Spike setter. Intimidate may be cool, but it's not that bulky in the first place. It does have some niches that keep it in D such as Taunt, Destiny Bond, T-wave, and Explosion.

Qwilfish (Poison) C -> D

Scolipede arguably fills the role better as a Spike stacker because of Speed Boost + STAB that hits Psychic types Super Effectively. It has its niches that keep it in D.

Carbink (Rock) C -> Unranked.

You have Diance lol

Sawk (Fighting) -> Unranked

Fighting has sucky Hazard control so there's rocks 90% of the time ruining Sturdy. It's outclassed power wise / speed wise by things such as Terrakion.

Poliwrath (Fighting) -> Unranked.

Keldeo / Conkeldurr outclasses it and there's no significant Water weakness outside of Terrakion and Infernape. It's slow as well.

Stunkfisk (Electric) B -> D Rank

It fits D rank's description perfectly.
D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are outclassed in almost every single way. These Pokemon are only used for one of their moves, or for their typing / ability. Even so, they are generally second rate Pokemon meaning that they can be only brought in once or twice to perform their role. These Pokemon rarely adapt to the metagame.

It's offenses are outclassed by almost every single offensive mon. Defensives are pretty decent but it's still weak to notable types such as Ground, Ice, and Water. Stunfisk is only used for Stealth Rocks.

Shaymin B Rank -> Unranked

You have Skymin and Shaymin has a sucky typing. Used for Natural Cure but faces competition with Roserade who has a better typing.

Xatu (Flying) B -> D Rank.

So much Defog and they're on great mons too. It sadly isn't B rank material :[

Furfrou B -> C Rank

I guess AFD's right :[

Hitmontop B -> D Rank

Fighting isn't meant to be "defensive" and it gets worn down easily since it has no recovery. It's pretty meh and you end up wasting a slot.

Toxicroak (Fighting) B -> D Rank

It can beat up Fairies but Klefiki and Mawile wall it so hard. Dry Skin lets it wall Crocune but is it worth giving up a slot on your team?

Durant (Steel) A Rank -> B Rank

/me cires in a corner. It's not A rank material ;-;

Forretress (Bug) A Rank -> B Rank

Same role as Armaldo and they both preform their roles fairly well. Forretress is weak to Fire while Armaldo is weak to Rocks. It's Taunt bait.

Lucario (Fighting) A Rank -> C Rank

It's obviously not as good as it was before. Physical is outclassed, and Special's just meh. So slow as well. Mostly used for priority Bullet Punch for dem Fairies, and as a mixed attacker to get through Skarmory / other walls.

Ambipom A Rank -> C Rank

It's not that good, but it's not that bad. It uses up a slot when you could be running something like Diggersby. It's extremely frail as well so it's hard to pass Wishes to it.

Cinnico A Rank -> B Rank

Truedrew agreed with the drop as did a majority of people

Rotom-W (Electric) S Rank -> A Rank

Used for Water STAB vs Ground teams, but Gastro still walls it pretty hard.

Deoxys-S S Rank -> A Rank

It's not S Rank material, but it is your best suicide lead.

Umbreon A Rank -> B Rank

I love it and all but I don't feel like it's A quality. I personally think that S / A Rank should stick with the standard T-tar, Gren, Mandi, Bisharp, Hydregon, Sableye and some others. #Generic

~~~~~~~

Things that I feel like could be changed.

Heracross (Bug) A Rank -> S Rank

Scarf Heracross decimates Fire / Flying etc Monotypes with ease after all of the threats are gone. Genesect and Heracross make a terrifying offensive core since they shred each others weaknesses. Moxie is an awesome ability, it has web support so it outspeeds other scarfs, no Talonflame, takes neutral damage from Rocks etc.

Mamoswine (Ice) A Rank -> S Rank

It's so Anti Meta. Earthquake + Stone Edge can easily 1-2HKO a majority of Ice's weaknesses. It's unpredictable as well since it can run stuff like Freeez Dry / Scarves etc. Thick Fat is cool for an Ice mon. Takes Neutral damage from Ice. Ice / Ground STAB lets it force out a majority of Stealth Rockers if played right.

Azumarill (Fairy) A Rank -> S Rank

This is the thing that's keeping Fairy from being 6-0ed by Fire every time. Since Monotype's so restricted, a single Belly Drum can sweep through weakened / unprepared teams. It has screen support (from Klefiki) so it's pretty easy to set up.

Tagging people who had stuff changed: XatuAppraisal @N64 Dirpz Hutyro truedrew saquibalmamun1997 I might've missed some people. So let the discussion begin!
What else needs to be changed / what shouldn't be changed? Do you agree with these decisions?

I agree with a lot of the changes you have all made, but I must disagree with Shaymin being unranked (I believe the previously-stated life orb set is well worth consideration for Grass teams, and in the event that Skymin is ever rebanned there should at least be a notable backup for it) and Toxicroak moving back to at least B or C rank (sure it's walled by Fairy/Steel but besides that it can be a very respectable addition and serious threat once those switch-ins are eliminated.

Also Rotom-W being walled by Gastro does not in any way justify a move to A rank. Electric has plenty of switch in options in the event of Gastro and can provide grass moves with Eeleektross and Thundurus, and it isn't that bad of a result when taking in a Toxic. ChoiceTrick also hurts Gastro pretty bad, and while it isn't always seen on Rotom-W it is certainly there.

Last edited:
Decided by me and Sae :]

Carbink (Fairy) C -> Unranked

There is no reason to use this over Diance.

Carbink (Rock) C -> Unranked.

You have Diance lol
Carbink does have 1 niche over Diancie, and that's sturdy; which means guaranteed st/screens/tr + item. But yeah other than that, it is outclassed.
I should also mention that with the arrival of mega form, diancie takes on a completly diffrent role and lowers it's defences, so tehnically you could use carbink and diance together.

Acast

Umbreon A Rank -> B Rank

I love it and all but I don't feel like it's A quality. I personally think that S / A Rank should stick with the standard T-tar, Gren, Mandi, Bisharp, Hydregon, Sableye and some others. #Generic

~~~~~~~

Things that I feel like could be changed.

Heracross (Bug) A Rank -> S Rank

Scarf Heracross decimates Fire / Flying etc Monotypes with ease after all of the threats are gone. Genesect and Heracross make a terrifying offensive core since they shred each others weaknesses. Moxie is an awesome ability, it has web support so it outspeeds other scarfs, no Talonflame, takes neutral damage from Rocks etc.

Mamoswine (Ice) A Rank -> S Rank

It's so Anti Meta. Earthquake + Stone Edge can easily 1-2HKO a majority of Ice's weaknesses. It's unpredictable as well since it can run stuff like Freeez Dry / Scarves etc. Thick Fat is cool for an Ice mon. Takes Neutral damage from Ice. Ice / Ground STAB lets it force out a majority of Stealth Rockers if played right.

Azumarill (Fairy) A Rank -> S Rank

This is the thing that's keeping Fairy from being 6-0ed by Fire every time. Since Monotype's so restricted, a single Belly Drum can sweep through weakened / unprepared teams. It has screen support (from Klefiki) so it's pretty easy to set up.

Tagging people who had stuff changed: XatuAppraisal @N64 Dirpz Hutyro truedrew saquibalmamun1997 I might've missed some people. So let the discussion begin!
What else needs to be changed / what shouldn't be changed? Do you agree with these decisions?
As much as I do love using Umbreon, I admit it isn't A quality. I think at the time that I made my ranking post, I was still trying to figure out the exact definitions of each rank. Now that most of the significant pokemon are ranked, the definitions of A rank, B rank, etc are more clear and defined. B rank suits Umbreon better than A (even though I vastly prefer Umbreon over Tyranitar).
I pretty much agree with all of the other ranking changes. I'm not entirely convinced on your proposal to change Heracross to S rank, but Mamoswine and Azumarill should both be S rank, as you suggested.

I agree with a lot of the changes you have all made, but I must disagree with Shaymin being unranked (I believe the previously-stated life orb set is well worth consideration for Grass teams, and in the event that Skymin is ever rebanned there should at least be a notable backup for it) and Toxicroak moving back to at least B or C rank (sure it's walled by Fairy/Steel but besides that it can be a very respectable addition and serious threat once those switch-ins are eliminated.
If Shaymin-Sky were banned at the moment, Shaymin-Land should definitely have some sort of rank, but due to the species clause you cannot have both Shaymin-Sky and Shaymin-Land on the same team. I don't see any reason why anyone would ever choose the Land form if they have access to the Sky form. As long as Shaymin-Sky is legal, Shaymin-Land has way too high of an opportunity cost. If Skymin ever gets re-banned, we can always change Shaymin-Land's rank to something higher.

why is Megazard X under "Flying" when it's Dragon/Fire

e: does the fact that it's by standalone Flying/Fire before Mega evolution count? I guess I answered my own question.

Acast

e: does the fact that it's by standalone Flying/Fire before Mega evolution count? I guess I answered my own question.
In Monotype, the typing of the non-mega form of the Pokemon is what matters. Both of the Mega Charizards can be on Flying teams and neither of them can be on Dragon teams because Charizard itself is not Dragon type.

A monotype pokemon can be used in a type team as long as it has the required typing at the start of the battle. A pokemon that mega evolves and loses a primary or
secondary type can still be used with those types.

EDIT: of course both anttyaz and acast ninja'd me OF COURSE ;-;

yeah thanks for clearing it up lol. i realized why after i had made the post when i noticed Mega Aggron was also under rock.

Nominating Mega Aerodactyl for A rank (Rock)

80 / 135 / 85 / 70 / 95 / 150

Physical attacker:
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Hone Claws / Fire Fang

What it does: Mega Aerodactyl covers the rock type's weakness to fighting, which helps it a lot. Furthermore, with one of the highest speed stats in the game , it's not going to get outsped by anything that isn't holding a scarf. This allows it to use an Adamant nature, which still allows it to outspeed everything in the metagame. Stone Edge and Aerial Ace are its STAB moves, Earthquake is for coverage against steel types, and the last slot is debatable. You can use Hone Claws to increase your attack power and accuracy, which will guarantee a hit from Stone Edge, while Fire Fang will cover things such as Ferrothorn.

What it struggles against: A lot of OU's priority moves, because this Pokemon can really only take one or two attacks. Furthermore, it suffers greatly to Stealth Rock, which nearly every team can set up. Your best bet is to save this Pokemon until the late game.

Last edited:

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just a heads up but since Anttya only posted the brief summaries if you want to hear the long version of some of these changes just come talk to us and we can go more in-depth.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Scizor-Mega should move down to A Rank as they are far from essential on Bug teams, in particular I feel the Mega has to move down as I am yet to see it perform so much better than it's base forme in any role that it's not worth using Pinsir or even Heracross for your Mega slot. I ranked Heracross as B mainly on the size of the opportunity cost of using it as the Mega over Pinsir, who I feel offers much more in the majority of matchups compared to either Scizor or Heracross, particularly in a Fire matchup, one of the worst Bug can come across. I feel Scizor falls into the same trap here, although it does have utility in that it offers powerful priority and can run a good physically defensive defogger set if you're not running Webs, allowing for a different build of Bug team.

Regarding the base forme, I'm not even sure what that does in Monotype anymore, it has been so long since I've seen one, either that or it hasn't really caused me any problems. Outside of possibly being the best Fairy killer in Monotype(and even that is questionable as it's Bullet Punch only hits Azu and Maw neutrally), admittedly not a great matchup for Bug, it doesn't really offer that much to Bug teams to make up for the massive Fire weakness it gives you, as well as having bad synergy with Genesect who is pretty much a staple on Bug teams at the moment. For these reasons, I'm going to suggest Scizor move down to B Rank, although I am open to arguments about this.

I think Torkoal should stay A Rank purely because the niche it fills on Fire is so large, being the only viable hazard remover who isn't 4x weak to rocks, while it'd love recovery obviously, it doesn't have a bad moveset to do it's job with either, Lava Plume / Rocks / Spin / Yawn pretty much always gets the job done.
B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are good but they need support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon are used to check your counters once or twice, meaning that it cannot switch in and out repeatedly. Pokemon in this rank can have a positive type match up sometimes, but they may be useless in others. These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame.

I think scizor should be A Rank since it doesn't need much support (even it does, they aren't hard to give). Also, defensive defogger is really useful or else you have to rely on spins and good luck doing that against ghost. Also, the LO set isn't bad either, complete bane to ice and is a huge threat to fairies. The choice band set gives strong u-turns and bullet punches which can deal massive damage to physical walls. Therefore I think Scizor should stay A Rank

Nominating Mega Aerodactyl for A rank (Rock)

80 / 135 / 85 / 70 / 95 / 150

Physical attacker:
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Hone Claws / Fire Fang

What it does: Mega Aerodactyl covers the rock type's weakness to fighting, which helps it a lot. Furthermore, with one of the highest speed stats in the game , it's not going to get outsped by anything that isn't holding a scarf. This allows it to use an Adamant nature, which still allows it to outspeed everything in the metagame. Stone Edge and Aerial Ace are its STAB moves, Earthquake is for coverage against steel types, and the last slot is debatable. You can use Hone Claws to increase your attack power and accuracy, which will guarantee a hit from Stone Edge, while Fire Fang will cover things such as Ferrothorn.

What it struggles against: A lot of OU's priority moves, because this Pokemon can really only take one or two attacks. Furthermore, it suffers greatly to Stealth Rock, which nearly every team can set up. Your best bet is to save this Pokemon until the late game.
4 hp evs means that it won't be able to switch in to stealth rocks 4 times. Move them to def. Also mention ice fang and taunt, which completly screw up some counters like for example mew.
Fire fang ,stone edge and aerial ace work really well together if you're using hone claws(trust me), so sash earthquake with fire fang also.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
I think all three of Scizor, Mega-Scizor, and Torkoal are fine at their originally proposed ranks (S, S, A respectively)

Here's why:

Scizor-Mega: Mega Scizor is the most reliable defogger for bug monotypes, if not the entire OU tier. It has bulk better than Skarmory, with 7 resisted types, 1 immunity, and only one (4x) weakness to fire. It has reliable recovery, which is a huge advantage over Armaldo and Forretress, both of whom can be easily worn down, with the former also being weak to stealth rock. Stealth rock weak types like Fire and Ice do not have the blessing of having a defogger or rapid spinner that takes neutral damage from stealth rock, making Scizor a very big deal for bug teams.

Mega Scizor is also very flexible in its sets, as it can use a bulky swords dance set, a speedy swords dance set, a defensive pivot set, a defog set, and even a support set with options like Toxic, Knock off, and more. This variance in movesets along with amazing typing and stats allows Scizor to be an easy contender for S rank for bug monotypes. The only thing that I would consider a valid argument for Mega Scizor being A rank is its competition from two other amazing mega Pokemon in Pinsir and Heracross, but I argue that all three provide their own niches and none of them outclass one another.

The bulky swords dance moveset is a very threatening sweeper in monotype, as many types lack much fire coverage, which can sometimes be the only thing that can successfully 2HKO Scizor to prevent it from setting up.

Scizor: Scizor is like Mega Scizor, but with even more move-set options due to its freed item slot. It can be a bulky defogger, an effective choice band user that can demolish defensive problems to bug like Heatran with superpower and bulky psychic types with pursuit and knock off. Scizor can even use a choice scarfed set, an offensive swords dance set, a life orb set, and a bulky swords dance set like Mega Scizor. Scizor's slow u-turn can provide many switch in opportunities for the plethora of threatening sweepers that belong to bug monotypes like Volcarona, Scolipede, Vivillon, and more. It shares its fantastic typing with Mega Scizor, neither Pokemon require much support, and they can even be the ones providing the support.

Torkoal: Rapid spin is vital to the success of fire monotypes, and Torkoal is the only user of it. It can be an effective pivot and hazard setter as well, and it is one of the few Pokemon on fire teams that can survive an onslaught from Life orb Scolipede and other similar EdgeQuake Pokemon. Not much else to say here, it is very deserving of A rank.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoW

all falls down

thanks ugly god
Scolipede (Bug) for A-Rank

Physical Sweeper:
Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Megahorn
-Poison Jab
-Earthquake/Aqua Tail/Rock Slide

Explanation: One of the more potent answers to Rock, Fire, Scolipede can destroy teams with a Swords Dance. It's only enemy being Priority after enough Speed Boosts are stacked, it can tear whole unprepared teams apart. Considering the overall offensive nature of the Bug Type, Scolipede is one of the Pokémon that can define it. It deals moderate damage without a Swords Dance, and it becomes a threat just after one. 100 base attack isn't something to be taken lightly considering that Scolipede can scare Pokémon out, set up a Swords Dance during the switch, and then continue to do as it pleases. Scolipede has some overall unpredictability as the more commonly used and expected set is the Baton Pass support one, usually used in conjecture with a mon like Mega Heracross, who would definitely put the speed boosts to good use. It's the less predictable and expected set which is why it can take people by surprise and win games by itself, so it's worth taking into attention this set. I go for a full offensive EV spread with Adamant, taking Swords Dance for sweeping potential, Megahorn and Poison Jab for primary STAB moves, while Earthquake Aqua Tail, Rock Slide are your coverage moves. Earthquake and Aqua Tail are more for Rock, Fire, EQ being more reliable, and Rock Slide dealing with the fliers that threaten Bug.

Baton Pass:
Scolipede @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Impish Nature
-Swords Dance
-Protect
-Baton Pass
-Substitute

Explanation: Possibly the best Support Pokémon Bug gets, on par with Galvantula/Shuckle setting up Sticky Web, Scolipede's role is simple. Get boosts, give it to Mega Heracross, Scizor, etc., Profit in rank points. While the more expected set and inferior in my opinion, it still has it's situational uses. It's not that reliable because of the vulnerability your mon has while you Baton Pass, unless you manage to get a Substitute up with it. It's threatening when it is utilized correctly. Successful Baton Pass = Free points.

Sumarry: Scolipede is a definite threat in the Monotype Metagame, both as a Support Pokémon, and an offensive Set-up Pokémon. It has unpredictability, good coverage, it can alter and mix those two sets, so if it no longer has chances to sweep with Megahorn etc., it can still Baton Pass the boosts to some other mon to finish the job. It's a great but often underrated Pokémon and in my opinion it's worth of being in A rank.

The sweeper set should be something like this:

Scolipede @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Rock Slide
- Protect

Life orb should be used to increase damage output. The sweeper set is too frail to ever set up swords dance. Earthquake is pretty much mandatory as it provides great coverage; poison jab has little to no coverage and Megahorn is the way to go for an insanely powerful STAB anyways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)