Moody

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read on Bulbapedia that the moves roar and whirlwind are now unaffected by accuracy and evasion. This led me to thinking that maybe moody isn't as broken as it used to be, since now you can phaze them out regardless how many boosts they get. What do y'all think?

Simply put, not every 'Mon has a phazing move. Not to mention that phazing moves have negative priority, allowing virtually anything with Moody to do whatever it wants in that turn, such as stalling with Protect to be able to gain boosts more than once.

This thread should be locked.

Not every mon has rapid spin either. /shrug Many tactics only have like 2 moves or Pokemon that can counter it (toxic spikes, spore, etc... not every one has a grass/poison type in their party after all) so the idea that every mon needs a way to counter Moody isn't the strongest point.

I wouldn't reeeally care if it was unbanned or banned since I really didn't find it problematic since the opponent usually just got the worst possible stats boosted and then they get taunted, ditto'ed, lose their ability, hazed or killed in one attack or whatever. But perhaps infiltrator and etc may give it the check it needs. Just keeping an open mind. Maybe something interesting could come out of this thread if we don't plug our ears and bury it under our rugs. ._.

Saying something like not every mon has a phazing move is like saying that confusion is broken because only Own Tempo users beat it.

Still, anything that has to do with evasion manipulation will stay banned since it's just flat out rage inducing.

Not every mon has rapid spin either. /shrug Many tactics only have like 2 moves or Pokemon that can counter it (toxic spikes, spore, etc... not every one has a grass/poison type in their party after all) so the idea that every mon needs a way to counter Moody isn't the strongest point. I wouldn't reeeally care if it was unbanned or banned since I really didn't find it problematic since the opponent usually just got the worst possible stats boosted and then they get taunted, ditto'ed, or killed in one attack or ya know... whatever. But perhaps infiltrator and etc may give it the check it needs.
Except for things like Spore we have sleep clause.

Spikes, T-Spikes, SW, and SR, you can still work even with those.

Using Moody and stalling till Evasion boosts kick in? NOT FUN AT ALL and the only 100% accuracy move that is usable is Roserade's Techinician Magical Leaf.

SImply put, is annoying and very unhealthy for a game.

Maybe, but is it broken? BombKirby mentioned another answer to sub/protect stalling with infiltrator. Now we have two lovely ways of stopping moody. Not to mention Mega Kangaskhan who can hit twice to break the sub first and then break the pokemon second.

Nah, evasion clause and moody are unrelated. Thus why in gen 5 toward the end ubers had moody clause but not evasion clause.

No actually the entire reason Moody was banned was because of evasion clause. You can't raise your own evasion. What do you think the whole point in even using Moody was? It was at the time a loop hole to eventually nab enough evasion boosts so you couldn't get hit. If anything it's actually MORE annoying than Double Team because at least that is more to the point.

The reason Moody was banned was because it was highly noncompetitive and entirely luck-based because the stat boosts and decreases were completely random. Moody was not banned under Evasion clause; that is a fast.

Moody's just not worth discussing unless it suddenly realises that evasion is not a status it should affect. Unless that happens, it's not even good for joking around with hackmons.

Its not that moody is broken, its that its random and doesn't promote skill or competition. Unless there becomes a way to control which stats are affected, moody will always be banned, and if you did control which stats were raised/lowered, it'd be banned for being broken. Since there's no place for moody in this metagame, I don't see why we need to discuss it.

Honestly, it would be interesting to see how Moody would function if it didn't affect accuracy or evasion, especially since the most offensively threatening Moody Pokemon is Octillery and the second most is Bibarel, so they wouldn't exactly be the most threatening of sweepers. It would entirely change the way the ability was played. In its current state however, Moody is an umcompetitive and entirely luck based ability that seems to be designed specifically to make an unhealthy singles metagame. It's that ridiculous.

Moody is entirely too luck-based to be reintroduced into the metagame. End of story. And if you could control what stats it boosted/reduced, it would be even more broken than it was to begin with.

Saying something like not every mon has a phazing move is like saying that confusion is broken because only Own Tempo users beat it.

Still, anything that has to do with evasion manipulation will stay banned since it's just flat out rage inducing.
You're not going to run Roar or Dragon Tail on everything, or at least most of your team, solely for Moody, are you?

If you want to put an end to Confusion, either sustain the possibility of confusion damage for a few turns, or just switch out. For Moody, phazing moves would be required, and even then, Moody users can Protect to prevent being phazed.

It is banned under evasion clause, which isn't likely to be changed.
Why not? Evasion boosts have been nerfed quite a bit. There are plenty of perfect accuracy moves now, Keen Eye and similar abilities now ignore the boosts, we have more accuracy boosting moves like Hone Claws, and there are more No Guard Pokémon.

I accept that Moody will stay banned, because it's pretty ridiculous. But I think the evasion clause should be looked at again. I think either rescinding it, or restricting it to a "# of Evasion boosts" similar to how the sleep clause restricts the number of Pokémon you can put to sleep, would be healthy for the metagame (promoting the use of weaker moves with higher accuracy, including the 100% accuracy moves, or Flamethrower over Fire Blast. It might also coincide with accuracy boosters being more viable. And both of these will likely result in a decline in OHKOs, and therefore greatly opening up both the number of usable Pokémon, and strategies available).

the only good moody user is smeargle since he can baton pass/ingrain. Then you are out of counters. It's pretty much banned just because of him.

Why not? Evasion boosts have been nerfed quite a bit. There are plenty of perfect accuracy moves now, Keen Eye and similar abilities now ignore the boosts, we have more accuracy boosting moves like Hone Claws, and there are more No Guard Pokémon.

I accept that Moody will stay banned, because it's pretty ridiculous. But I think the evasion clause should be looked at again. I think either rescinding it, or restricting it to a "# of Evasion boosts" similar to how the sleep clause restricts the number of Pokémon you can put to sleep, would be healthy for the metagame (promoting the use of weaker moves with higher accuracy, including the 100% accuracy moves, or Flamethrower over Fire Blast. It might also coincide with accuracy boosters being more viable. And both of these will likely result in a decline in OHKOs, and therefore greatly opening up both the number of usable Pokémon, and strategies available).
There was already a huge discussion about the new Evasion mechanics in a now locked thread, and the general consensus was, Keen Eye and accuracy boosting moves are still shit. If you're running Keen Eye, Hone Claws, the laughably weak (besides Aura Sphere) never miss moves to counter Evasion, you're going to pretty much get killed in every single other way. There is zero reason to use those anti-evasion tactics. As in, they're not viable enough to even try to combat evasion.

And the core point of Evasion is: It's a strategy based around luck. Smogon hates luck-based strategies because they don't involve skill. If you use Flamethrower over Fire Blast, you're knowingly giving up OHKOs or greater damage for a slightly weaker, but more reliable attack. Swift, Shadow Punch, whatever are so weak they're hilarious. The only mons that run them are those that have no other usable move, like Shadow Punch for Golurk.

The evasion clause discussion has already been fought and won over multiple threads. Saying moves like hone claws and aura sphere hardly make up for the uncompetitive nature of luck based strategies, and limiting the number of stacks won't work either because after 2 stacks, flamethrower is less accurate than focus blast. Anything that promotes the use of weaker moves over less accurate powerful ones will just make walls and tanks more popular and hurt the complex nature of fast killers and serve to lessen the diversity of the meta game. Yes, evasion can be part of a competitive atmosphere, just not the one smogon's trying to build

If Moody is banned because of evasion then the Acupressure should be banned also, same random stat boosts including evasion.

I think the issue is only partially evasion-- the "free boosts all the damn time" is the main problem.

If Moody is banned because of evasion then the Acupressure should be banned also, same random stat boosts including evasion.

I think the issue is only partially evasion-- the "free boosts all the damn time" is the main problem.
Acupressure actually forces you to use a move, essentially wasting a turn if nothing good gets boosted. Moody is a passive effect that happens every turn, so it's easily abusable with Protect/Sub spamming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)