Most Anticipated Installment?

Which Installment were you the most excited for?

• Total voters
I've gotten at least a little bit hyped for each installment of the Pokemon games past their first release. Some much more so than others. My question to you folks is what game were you the most excited to get?

My personal answer to this question is Diamond and Pearl. I completed the gen 3 Pokedex back in the summer of 2006. After which, I was stuck waiting on new Pokemon video game content for ages. Looking up all the new Pokemon on Psypokes just fueled my longing further. After nearly a year of waiting and waiting on the new games, trying and failing to hold myself over the mystery dungeon games, Pokemon ranger, and the TCG, it all finally came in April and I was ecstatic.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My vote is definitely going to have to go to Black and White 2 on this one. Around this time last year was when I first got into Smogon and competitive Pokemon. I wasn't really interested in Pokemon much anymore after Diamond and Pearl, so I missed HeartGold and SoulSilver all the way through Black and White. That summer, I, for some reason, got interested in Pokemon SoulSilver and I got it for my birthday (about 2 years late, lol). I was really impressed with the game and it rekindled my love for Pokemon so I started to get involved on Smogon and try out competitive battling (although I only played Gen IV, on Pokemon Online)

It just so happened that Black and White 2 were going to be released in just a few months, and since I had gotten over my "gen v is so lame omg they ruined pokemon" mentality, I decided I would get it since it actually looked cool to me now. I actually think this was the first time I had ever planned to get a game and anticipated getting it months beforehand (XY is the second time, although we're still living in that time so it doesn't count just yet), as generally I am pretty late and get games a few months or years after they are released. I was completely new to Gen V, having not played the original Black and White. I remember looking through Bulbapedia and Smogon for the coolest Gen V designs and planning my team months ahead of time. (Although it didn't go exactly as planned, I ended up using Excadrill and Zoroark rather than Cinccino and Haxorus)

I don't think I've ever been so nostalgic about a time period that wasn't even that long ago (it was literally only about a year ago). It's almost 2014 and I'm still not even ready to say goodbye to 2012 yet >_>

Honestly, I don't even have a choice, considering I've only really done this once. Regardless, my vote goes to Black and White 2. (Specifically White 2, which is the one I bought)

Before it WAS HGSS, because I kinda skipped Gen II, so I really wanted to play it.

Now it's X and Y, HOWEVER if RS remakes are announced I'd be more excited for them.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
While I am pretty excited for XY, I was literally bouncing around the room when I heard news of HGSS. Gold was the first Pokemon game where I truley *got it* and got the bug really bad. I played RBY before ofcourse, but I absolutely adored the Pokemon and Journey I first had in Generation 2. When HGSS was released, I bought both immediately and started training a team which I had also played with previously. Typhlosion, Ampharos, Quagsire, Donphan, Skarmory and Miltank. So what? I traded a few eggs, who cares. I loved it and with the newer graphics and some extra neat stuff here and there I continued to enjoy it just as much as I did the original games.

X & Y have me excited for totally different reasons. The amazing new graphics, new Pokemon and new locations is all going to be great, and with a Worldwide release I can talk in real time with people about the games as opposed to having them 6~9 months after the US and Japan. I am very much excited to be part of Smogon as XY is launched!

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Well I didn't really have anyone to speculate with, so to myself I was excited the most for Pokemon Colosseum, and I didn't get it for months after release...

But that doesn't count apparently.

Definetely X and Y. I didn't really check the news when I was a kid, so even I thought knew about Silver/gold before they came out (a boy in school had a japenese silver) i didn't even know the relase date or stuff like that, and my main interest were the TCG and the anime anyway.

As for DPP, HGSS and BW I definetely were very hyped for them, but I think XY definetely beats it cause its probably be biggest improvement in graphics that any generation has taken (even thought pokémon is more about gameplay than graphics imao). I gotta say the time has gone insanely fast thought, I feel like it was not very long ago since XY got announced and now its less than 2 month away! :) Guess an awsome summer helps!:p

Before it WAS HGSS, because I kinda skipped Gen II, so I really wanted to play it.

Now it's X and Y, HOWEVER if RS remakes are announced I'd be more excited for them.
Same for me, Gen 2 was the only one i missed out on, however whilst it hasn't been announced I would go skitz if I heard of a Hoenn remake was going to be released.

Definetely X&Y.I am almost hoping for information about it everyday and I've already made my self a Pokemon X&Y Countdown today reaching at 50 days left.I can't wait for it.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Black / White 2, like Hulavuta, it was one of the first pokemon games i had been waiting for, only second to BW, and at that time i wasnt into competitive, when BW 2 were coming out i was freaking out over White Kyurem, and knowing that keldeo would also be released since it was my favorite gen 5 poke when i saw it in the dex. Not even XY, since im still replaying and replaying BW 2, until im done i dont actually want it to come out, but im getting either way rofl.

I was very excited for D/P. I stared at the pictures of it in a magazine for hours. X and Y looks to be the best pokemon game ever though

This is probably not the best time to start such a poll because the hype around XY is present. Nevermind.

There are several contributing factors to the anticipation of BW2. First of all, it was the only game they have announced for a console I have owned at that time - which is pretty late compared to other players. Secondly, those were the first real sequels within a generation instead of just remakes. Also, the animated trailer was top-notch promoting material.

XY are close, though. It was pretty frustrating that Japan got all the good event stuff, and even some competitive relevant suff like DW Bulbasaur and DW Torchic. The world-wide release makes me hope for a fair deal this time.

Note, I started with Red and Blue (we did know about Green, however). It is unlikely that they could have build up that much of a hype for the earlier generations before the Internet became more common. It used to be a nasty chore to track down legit news in the west.

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was very excited for D/P. I stared at the pictures of it in a magazine for hours. X and Y looks to be the best pokemon game ever though
Gotta agree with this. I was always excited for a new pokemon game but not like this. X/Y has gotten me beyond excited and so ready to get back to playing pokemon again.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I voted for BW2 as we're in the middle of all the current hype for XY so I feel like it has an unfair advantage. As a kid though I got super hyped for GS with all the tv advertising we got for it in Aus, RS was also pretty exciting, but it didn't get as much coverage, but I didn't have a Gameboy Advance so wasn't that interested. I was on a Pokemon hiatus during gen 4 (just coz of school's workload) so had no idea what was going on until HGSS came out and I got Platinum with them. So the only time I've ever really followed the news and leaks was for gen V, BW came out just after I finished highschool so I missed the bulk of hype leading up to it but caught the last few weeks of it which got me pretty excited. Since I've pretty much just been working full time and playing volleyball I've had ample time to get sucked into all the pre-release hype. White 2 was the first game I pre-ordered and waited out for the shop to open, I was that excited. I recently started a new job, where I pretty much sit on a computer all day, so I've pretty much worn out the F5 key in anticipation of new news! XY looks out of control so far

Definitely Gen II, closely followed by X and Y. I was super-into Pokemon during Gen I, and I couldn't wait for the next installment! I wanted to use a Togepi so badly, and then when I saw Pokemon 2000, I fell in love with all the new Pokemon! Plus I wanted to know what that rainbow bird was in the first episode of the anime! I was a little kid, and Pokemon was basically the center of my universe. I don't think I'll ever get that excited about anything ever again.

That being said, I am extremely excited for X and Y, more than I have been about a Pokemon game since Gen II. XY seems like it'll be amazing-- I love the vast majority of the new mons so far, especially Fennekin and Xerneas. Pokemon Amie looks adorable! I was skeptical about Mega Evos at first, but now I think they'll be awesome, especially MegaMawile! ANDDD it's based on my favorite country in the world, France! I would honestly move to France right now if it weren't for the fact that I still need to complete undergrad. But seriously, being able to play Pokemon in a 3-d-rendered region based on France with so many amazing new mons and so many awesome features is sooo exciting! <3

HG/SS definitely. I mean, back then everyone and their mother wanted those damn Gen 2 remakes and were looking at every single hint in the games and, when they were finally announced, I was pretty excited to play on Johto again as Gold was one of the games I played the most. Nostalgia was a huge factor in these games and even though I ended up not playing them as much as other Pokemon games, that period before the games came out was the toughest of all my Pokecarreer

I've seen every launch since G/S and honestly X and Y has been the biggest hype train I've ridden and enjoy riding. The new features and throwbacks. I've always had opportunities to pre-order games, but I never did. Why because I know that in 5 days after the japanese release, a japanese ROM will be posted online. X and Y is the first time that I pre-ordered a pokemon game (Back in G/S/C internet shopping wasn't as popular). I have to pre-order this, why? Because there is NO emulator. For the first time since crystal version, I'm going to play an english copy with no website spoilers or japanese ROMs on the internet. I'm very excited.

I would say generation 4. I actually purchased a DS just to play the gen 4 games originally. The first Pokemon game I played was Pokemon Emerald. I loved Pokemon Emerald and played it all the time. When I learned about the Global Trade System and the underground, I believed that it would a start to better internet based gameplay. A close second would be HG/SS. Having started with Pokemon Emerald, I completely missed out on generation 2. Many people told me that Gold and Silver were the greatest Pokemon games. I knew Gamefreak was going to remake it over time. I got it on the first day and immediately started playing as soon as I could.

I voted X & Y.

My first Pokemon game was Blue. I did play GBA and 4th Gen but I played mainly for nostalgia.
With 5th Gen I wasn't really into it competitive or story, which led me to quit.

However with the all the news of X&Y it re-kindled the flame. I'm all for new things generally and new starts and look forward to the 6th Gen.

Definitely DP. They were the first video games that I got hyped enough to follow for months before it came out in Japan. Like a lot of people, DP were the games that got me into competitive Pokemon and coming to smogon.

If I wasn't in college/had a 3ds, I'd probably choose XY. It looks like it'll fix some of the nitpicks I've had with the previous gens.

I was going to vote for HGSS, as I was so incredibly hyped for that. All the new things, the brand new region for me (never played gsc), and the opportunity to visit 2 regions in one game. All these things plus more excited me beyond belief.

however, x and y just look too amazing to ignore. Almost all the new mons look awesome, as does pretty much everything about the new games. I'm just so ridiculously pumped, I couldn't vote for anything else

This is a tough call right now seeing as I'm totally engulfed in X-citement, but I'd say it's a toss-up between the upcoming games or Diamond/Pearl.

With D/P, I think it was because Gen III lasted so long. In the West, it was a full four-year gap between G/S and R/S, which was almost as long as Gens I and II combined. By the time 2006 rolled along, I was so burned out of the "Advance Generation" that I was ready for anything to come along and rejuvenate my interest.

But beyond that I think I'm anticipating X/Y more than I was Black 'n White. With those games, we already knew beforehand that no earlier 'mons were getting evos or pre-evos, and that kinda diminished some of the excitement. The game turned out okay in the end, but I just wasn't looking forward to them as much. With Gen VI, we're back to "anything's possible" mode, and that makes it that much more enticing to me.

Gen II. Any other Gen I players who don't answer Gen II are weirdos. XY's a close second, but you have to understand the unique conditions. Pokemon was a fad; Pokemania was a thing. We had no idea where the series would go next. Would they keep badges? What about Digimon, those Digivolutions were cool. What if Pokemon did that? Did you catch up the totally hyped trailers for the next season of the anime? Did you hear there are alternate colored pokemon?

These days, we know both the games and the anime follow a set formula and take a very long time to deviate from them in even minor ways. But with Gold and Silver, literally anything was possible, especially since there was no such thing as a reliable source which a 7th grader could hit. The discovery of a 151st Pokemon when we all thought we'd found everything in the game made every rumor seem plausible. The Missingno Factor - it was so bizarre, but relatively simple to perform. What did it mean? Was there more to it? What other deep mysteries were hiding in the game that might be hinted at? There was magic in those cartridges - unspecified promises of our wildest hopes and dreams in video gaming, with 251 or more monsters.

Every release has been nearly pedestrian in how careful it is with making changes. We know how Game Freak thinks now. But we didn't, then.

I had to go with Ruby/Sapphire. I was eagerly waiting to start anew, and I loved the general flavor of the designs (contrary to the French forums where I read a lot of genwunning).
HG/SS comes second. The nostalgia of replaying Gold, my first cartridge game, made me preorder the Japanese version.
Now for X/Y, I am properly hyped, but I am not going to buy the games until I have information on version exclusives (especially for old favorites) and may not even buy the games (and a 3DS XL to boot) if I don't think there is enough post-E4 content.

Definitely X/Y.

The reason beng, with every other game in the series we've been lagging behind Japan in the West and it was impossible to keep spoiler free. Now we all get to enjoy the game for the first time at the same time - and I don't have to learn any damn Japanese names!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)