Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Okay, I read the first page and I'm very VERY confused...

Basically, all you have to do is get a time when to get the egg and discover your delay/seconds right?

Well, I put that in and I put in the spread that I want... But instead of hatching a Adamant (how are sex and nature determined anyways? I gave the mother an everstone, but I'm gonna guess that this method sort of goes through that...) Heracross with Guts and 31s across the board, I get an Impish Heracross with Swarm and only 3 31s (the rest of the stats seem to be 29s).
I'm sure the 31s are from the parents, but what gives?
What am I doing wrong?

(btw, I've been trying over and over with the same time, hoping to get a different seed for a different result, but I keep on getting the SAME EXACT THING!)
Read it more carefully.
No everstone.
Select your spread wisely, don't go for something that you cant remember, like something with 400 taps. 100 is usually my limit, but I have international parents.

EDIT: WOOOHOOO!
31/31/31/31/31/31 spread hit! And Shiny too!

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay, I read the first page and I'm very VERY confused...

Basically, all you have to do is get a time when to get the egg and discover your delay/seconds right?

It's NOT the time when you get your egg. It's the time when you continue. I think you really need to go back and read up and let me know what specifically you don't understand.

Well, I put that in and I put in the spread that I want... But instead of hatching a Adamant (how are sex and nature determined anyways? I gave the mother an everstone, but I'm gonna guess that this method sort of goes through that...) Heracross with Guts and 31s across the board, I get an Impish Heracross with Swarm and only 3 31s (the rest of the stats seem to be 29s).

Er, so explain, are you not locked into an egg with a particular nature before you start your soft resetting? Because you should be. And this does assume that you are soft resetting for egg IVs which seems to be the case.

I'm sure the 31s are from the parents, but what gives?
What am I doing wrong?

(btw, I've been trying over and over with the same time, hoping to get a different seed for a different result, but I keep on getting the SAME EXACT THING!)

How did your calibration phase go?

Read it more carefully.
No everstone.
Select your spread wisely, don't go for something that you cant remember, like something with 400 taps. 100 is usually my limit, but I have international parents.
That's only for hatching a shiny pokémon though, the Perfect IV section says nothing about everstones so I assumed they were okay... The Perfect IVs section also doesn't say anything about Taps... =S

(Btw, if you're wondering why I DON'T want a shiny, it's because Heracross's manliness is lost in his shiny sprite. :P )

Yeah, in other words, if it said that I should be getting the egg (continuing) at 22:03:15, then I need to reset at 22:03 since my calibration period told me that my seconds were 15 and that my delay ranged from 609-619 right? (That's what the calibration phase is for... Right?)

Also, what do you mean locked into a nature? Isn't an egg's nature, sex and ability determined at the same time IVs are?
If it's not, then that could very well explain alot...

EDIT: Also, is offset the same as frame? Just wondering...

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
my time says 128:03, what do i put down for the minute?
The amount of time you have spent playing the game has nothing to do with "the time on your DSs internal clock".

Yeah, in other words, if it said that I should be getting the egg at 22:03:15, then I need to reset at 22:03 since my calibration period told me that my seconds were 15 and that my delay ranged from 609-619 right? (That's what the calibration phase is for... Right?)

Also, what do you mean locked into a nature? Isn't an egg's nature, sex and ability determined at the same time IVs are?
If it's not, then that could very well explain alot...
No they are not.

If you save the game with the daycare man holding an egg then the nature/gender/ability/shinyness will be set, but the IVs will not be generated until you collect the egg. The instructions assume that the daycare man will be holding an egg for you to collect and it's really a requirement because biking around to get the parents to breed will throw everything off.

As most people here are familiar with "soft resetting on an egg" it's actually never had to be explained up to this point, but I think the instructions should be updated with at least some base information on this to avoid confusion in the future. Thanks for exposing the shortcoming. In the meantime you might want to check out the breeding guides, particularly parts 1 and 2. They will explain some of the mechanics and just be helpful in general.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/breeding_guide_part1

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/breeding_guide_part2

EDIT: Offset is NOT the same thing as the frame. The numbers might match sometimes, but sometimes they might not. It's best that you try not to be concerned with the offset to be honest. I think I am going to remove it from the initial seed finder at some point, even though it is useful in some special cases because its existence usually just serves to confuse people.

The amount of time you have spent playing the game has nothing to do with "the time on your DSs internal clock".

No they are not.

If you save the game with the daycare man holding an egg then the nature/gender/ability/shinyness will be set, but the IVs will not be generated until you collect the egg. The instructions assume that the daycare man will be holding an egg for you to collect and it's really a requirement because biking around to get the parents to breed will throw everything off.

As most people here are familiar with "soft resetting on an egg" it's actually never had to be explained up to this point, but I think the instructions should be updated with at least some base information on this to avoid confusion in the future. Thanks for exposing the shortcoming. In the meantime you might want to check out the breeding guides, particularly parts 1 and 2. They will explain some of the mechanics and just be helpful in general.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/breeding_guide_part1

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/breeding_guide_part2

EDIT: Offset is NOT the same thing as the frame. The numbers might match sometimes, but sometimes they might not. It's best that you try not to be concerned with the offset to be honest. I think I am going to remove it from the initial seed finder at some point, even though it is useful in some special cases because its existence usually just serves to confuse people.
Oh, well okay... I guess I've gotta take that step 1 before soft resetting. :P

One (well, two) more questions though:
I'm having a bit of trouble properly understanding how to determine what frame you're on (I'm failing at seeing any correlation between NPC movement and what the frame may be...) and the randomness of the initial seed.
Does the initial seed that is necessary for the IV spread appear during the time indicate for the spread? (in my case 22:03:15) or is it completely random, and you just have to hope that you get the right seed at the right time?

Oh! Also, about the delay is it important after you determine your range?
Because in my 5 tests I got 619, 613, 609 and 609 each at 15 seconds, yet most of the times given to me were listed for a delay of 610. Why is that?

(Also, just in case this helps, I'm doing this whole venture based on some data that I wrote down yesterday when I used the program on my girlfriends' PC, since my Mac refuses to run the RNG Reporter with Darwine.)

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
How do you use Quick Hatch when trying to soft reset for IVs? The instructions have you soft reset which clears all previous codes you may have selected, so I assume you have to hard reset instead. Since you have to hard reset how do you go about calibrating, since when you have the AR in your ds you can't change any times or dates?
My question didn't get answered and I would like some help so I can start breeding a lot of my guys for the VGC since it takes forever to hatch eggs without quick hatch.

Well since I've done this BlueCookies, I can answer your question, yes you do have to hard reset with use of the AR. To change the date you basically have to start the DS without the AR in. The rest of the steps are basically the same when calibrating with the AR in, although it takes longer due to having to select the codes you want. Which is why I'm trying to find out at what specific second to click Start on the AR screen and figure out how many seconds it takes to get to clicking continue as fast as possible. Hope this helps:D

mingot

free agent
Oh, well okay... I guess I've gotta take that step 1 before soft resetting. :P

One (well, two) more questions though:
I'm having a bit of trouble properly understanding how to determine what frame you're on (I'm failing at seeing any correlation between NPC movement and what the frame may be...) and the randomness of the initial seed.
Does the initial seed that is necessary for the IV spread appear during the time indicate for the spread? (in my case 22:03:15) or is it completely random, and you just have to hope that you get the right seed at the right time?

The initial seed is created by the game using a combination of the time on your DS at the time you hit continue and your delay value.

So that is basically the starting point for the frames that will be generated.

The whole idea is for you to reset at the exact time (down to the exact second) and with the exact delay so that the seed will be what YOU wanted it to be. Knowing the initial seed lets you know what the subsequent results will be when you take an egg.

But then the NPCs moving throw this off, hence the need to get the egg as quickly as possible. This is why your initial seed may be correct, but you might not get the expected results. I think at least this is covered in the OP.

Oh! Also, about the delay is it important after you determine your range?
Because in my 5 tests I got 619, 613, 609 and 609 each at 15 seconds, yet most of the times given to me were listed for a delay of 610. Why is that?

Luck of the draw. Just happens that what you want requires a delay of 610 to create the correct seed to create the correct frames. One thing that is not covered extremely well is the propensity for your delays to always be odd or even. In your case they are odd, but you seem to be going for an even delay. When this happens it has been found that removing (or inserting if one is already there) a cartridge into slot-2 may change the delays that you are getting to odd.

(Also, just in case this helps, I'm doing this whole venture based on some data that I wrote down yesterday when I used the program on my girlfriends' PC, since my Mac refuses to run the RNG Reporter with Darwine.)

You should consider getting a real computer one day. :P

@ Bluecookies:
I just use 2 DSes, calibrate them to be the exact same second, then I load Action Replay (I somehow got it to auto-select Fast Hatch and IV Check codes) and I press "Start" on the minute.

xP
Saved on Shiny Bagon.
First Egg: 30/31/30/31/25/28
LOL.
Don't feel like RNG abusing so I'm keeping this.
Though there are better ones out there.

For those who use AR to find IV codes, I suggest that you manually count the seconds it takes to get to the the main screen and press "A". It was easier for me.

When one uses AR codes in my calibration part, are the seconds supposed to be in the 30s? I know it doesn't take me 30 seconds from the "regular" SR screen to press continue. My delays and frame numbers of the pokemon I catch are consistent, with my delaysas 600-610 and the frames 1-10.

mingot

free agent
Define "Didn't work". Try getting the first 10 or so eggs and see if the natures match the list given after your initial seed. If that happens then it did work.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Make sure you are not breeding a Japanese pokemon with my Ditto, that will cause it to not be seen as international parents.

I have a question, Is it possible to use the coin flip trick after getting the egg from the daycare man. Or will the RNG advance after geting the egg?

I have a question, Is it possible to use the coin flip trick after getting the egg from the daycare man. Or will the RNG advance after geting the egg?
The coin flip trick to figure out if you hit the correct seed? Yeah you can do that without affecting the normal RNG.

EDIT: Ignore the second thing I said. I completely confused myself, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)