Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Really? That explains it.

Addendum: it's not always offset + 8. I think earlier (like, way, way back) I said I had gotten things like offset + 11 in Heatran's cave. At first I thought it was because of the movement of some NPCs.
Yes, I changed the offset in 4.60 to be the same number as the Method 1 frame. It makes sense that they be the same.

I seem to remember someone else saying that they also got a different offset with Heatrans cave (or perhaps it was you?) and the problem was trying to determine if it was something with zoning or NPCs. I've recently gotten debugging working MUCH better than I had previously so at some point soon I'll be collecting save files at various points and breakpointing RNG hits. this should help me figure out a few more things that are sketchy at the moment.

Wait a sec. When I Sweet Scented for Azelf, I Scented on the water and got offset + 8.

The OP suggests that they both advance the RNG the same, therefore they should both land on offset + 8. Instead Scenting in the cave causes it to land on offset + 11 (or whatever the number was). So it seems Scenting in the cave advances the RNG more than we previously thought.

I'll check and see if this applies for other caves besides Heatran's cave. (Oh wait, I'm supposed to be studying for finals...)
It could be the case, we might want to check in Heatrans cave and a few others to see. I think back to back scents would probably be more helpful since you don't always have access to a Legend in the next room to reset, though.

I know I'm not that bad at tapping consistently on the A button. My delay is precise enough, usually between 595-605, but my seconds jump from 11 to 27. I looked at my second DS while tapping and I know it had to have been 14-15 when I hit continue, so I don't know how I get such huge differences in seconds. ; 3; The only thing I really noticed was that my seconds would jump really high mostly during the instances when I took too long to hook a magikarp - but I don't know if that should have anything to do with it.
The only explaination I can think of for this is that you are not entering the exact Minute/Month/Day into the initial seed finder. How long it takes you to catch the monster really does not matter.

Perhaps you were forgetting to update the minute each time you went through?

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
The only explaination I can think of for this is that you are not entering the exact Minute/Month/Day into the initial seed finder. How long it takes you to catch the monster really does not matter.

Perhaps you were forgetting to update the minute each time you went through?
I definitely was updating the date/time ): Repeated and double checked myself several times to make sure I was doing it correctly. I'm going to try it on my newer DS later and see if I have the same problem :x

I know I used to do it perfectly on my Pearl, so there has to be some weird difference between what I was doing then and now on my Platinum. It could just be that I'm doing something wrong and not catching it, but for now, I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks for the help~ :3

How many times should I calibrate delays and seconds for? I've done it already for 10 delays, if that's sufficient enough to gain knowledge of what my range of delays is. Also a question about the seconds, is that the specific seconds that you need to hit continue to get a particular seed and delay?

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
How many times should I calibrate delays and seconds for? I've done it already for 10 delays, if that's sufficient enough to gain knowledge of what my range of delays is. Also a question about the seconds, is that the specific seconds that you need to hit continue to get a particular seed and delay?
The seconds represent the amount of time it takes for you to go from a soft reset to clicking A at the continue screen :>

I am having a hard time.
Problem: I cant find the spread I got while IV breeding.
I have flawless B parent and some odd A parent. I widened my range of adjacent results, but I can't find my spread. That means I have no idea what my frame is. I hate this. D:

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
I am having a hard time.
Problem: I cant find the spread I got while IV breeding.
I have flawless B parent and some odd A parent. I widened my range of adjacent results, but I can't find my spread. That means I have no idea what my frame is. I hate this. D:
Back on my Pearl, I had the same problem. ;( I know some people use the buneary to coordinate themselves, but I'm not sure how.
Also~ Were we supposed grab the egg, catch a wild pokemon, calculate the initial seed and then hatch the egg to check the IVs? Or is that changed now? D:

Can't even calibrate correctly on my Platinum yet D:

Back on my Pearl, I had the same problem. ;(
Can't even calibrate correctly on my Platinum yet D:
Did you get it figured out?
Its very frustrating.
3 times its happened. my delay range, seconds range, frame range, are all huge in RNG reporter too! So I know something's wrong.

EDIT: I found /A/ spread. My offsets actually 3. That throws /everything/ off.

Wowww. A shiny spread with 0 Happiness taps and 0 Coin Flips.

Do I just pass the two respective apps, then put the parents in the day care?

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wowww. A shiny spread with 0 Happiness taps and 0 Coin Flips.

Do I just pass the two respective apps, then put the parents in the day care?
Well you shouldn't even have to pass the coin flip app, since changing to it doesn't affect anything. Be careful though, does it say dont go to the happiness app?

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
Nope, working on an essay while surfing the interwebs :< That's already a sign of procrastination, heee...but at least I feel better about myself typing instead of running around in my DS when I'm supposed to be finishing my paper~

Anyways, I know from posts above mine that the seconds should really be much more precise. Our delays should be off by 10 at worst. I haven't tried harder to understand it yet, but after my finals I'll try harder *_* In Platinum, my seconds range is gi-mongous, but my delays are very very close together.

Right now, the only problems I have are getting my seconds to match (they used to be much better on my Pearl, and I'd just use that for my RNG testing but the egg I want to hatch is locked onto on Platinum already ;A;) and how to make my frames consistent with NPC movements. @_@

Well you shouldn't even have to pass the coin flip app, since changing to it doesn't affect anything. Be careful though, does it say dont go to the happiness app?
It says "Switch TO the happiness app but don't click." Does that mean don't tap, or I'm not supposed to pass it? If it's the latter then I already ruined it, but I can write down the delay/time info so I can replicate the spread some time if I really need to. Mild isn't at the top of my priorities anyway at the moment

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It says "Switch TO the happiness app but don't click." Does that mean don't tap, or I'm not supposed to pass it? If it's the latter then I already ruined it, but I can write down the delay/time info so I can replicate the spread some time if I really need to. Mild isn't at the top of my priorities anyway at the moment
Go to it, then go right past it.

I need some help...

Delay range: 594-597

Seconds: always 15

I'm trying to catch a 31/26/31/20/29/31 jolly azelf..

Apparently the Seed (Hex) for my azelf is 3c05025c.

Target date/time: 2009 01 23 at 08:59:59 with a delay of 596
Date/Time to reset: 2009 01 23 at 08:59:44
Date/Time to continue: 2009 01 23 at 08:59:59 (same as target date/time)

So in order to get my desired azelf, the delay between resetting the game and pressing continue must always be 596? Is offset important in SRing for legendary pokemon?

Alright... another issue.. I need some confirmation, as the OP is mostly written in moonspeak XD

Target Frame: 580
Starting Frame: 1

So this means (assuming that I'm right in front of azelf)...

1) Open the journal. 2 out of my 7 pages indicate that I've caught a pokemon. The starting page isn't one of them, so the RNG won't be affected.
2) While in the journal, flip back and forth on the "caught (pokemon)" pages about 288 times, to advance the RNG by 576 stages.
3) Turn around 3 times (face left, then right, then up) to advance the RNG by 3 stages
4) Now that I'm in my 580th frame, Talk to azelf

So will I get the desired azelf if I follow these directions, or is there more to it?

Nope, working on an essay while surfing the interwebs :< That's already a sign of procrastination, heee...but at least I feel better about myself typing instead of running around in my DS when I'm supposed to be finishing my paper~

Anyways, I know from posts above mine that the seconds should really be much more precise. Our delays should be off by 10 at worst. I haven't tried harder to understand it yet, but after my finals I'll try harder *_* In Platinum, my seconds range is gi-mongous, but my delays are very very close together.

Right now, the only problems I have are getting my seconds to match (they used to be much better on my Pearl, and I'd just use that for my RNG testing but the egg I want to hatch is locked onto on Platinum already ;A;) and how to make my frames consistent with NPC movements. @_@

I can see from this post and from your previous what exactly is your problem!

Your seconds are not the time spent from reset to continue, this is the delay!

Your seconds are the exact seconds on the DS clock when you press A at the continue screen. So, if they are not matching, this is because you are soft-reseting on different times. You should always reset at 00 seconds, to match them everytime.

I need some help...

Delay range: 594-597

Seconds: always 15

I'm trying to catch a 31/26/31/20/29/31 jolly azelf..

Apparently the Seed (Hex) for my azelf is 3c05025c.

Target date/time: 2009 01 23 at 08:59:59 with a delay of 596
Date/Time to reset: 2009 01 23 at 08:59:44
Date/Time to continue: 2009 01 23 at 08:59:59 (same as target date/time)

So in order to get my desired azelf, the delay between resetting the game and pressing continue must always be 596? Is offset important in SRing for legendary pokemon?

Alright... another issue.. I need some confirmation, as the OP is mostly written in moonspeak XD

Target Frame: 580
Starting Frame: 1

So this means (assuming that I'm right in front of azelf)...

1) Open the journal. 2 out of my 7 pages indicate that I've caught a pokemon. The starting page isn't one of them, so the RNG won't be affected.
2) While in the journal, flip back and forth on the "caught (pokemon)" pages about 288 times, to advance the RNG by 576 stages.
3) Turn around 3 times (face left, then right, then up) to advance the RNG by 3 stages

So will I get the desired azelf if I follow these directions, or is there more to it?
I don't think so, as turning and walking should only advance the RNG on places where you can have a encounter with a pokemon, which is not true for azelf's cave.

I don't think so, as turning and walking should only advance the RNG on places where you can have a encounter with a pokemon, which is not true for azelf's cave.

Oooh i see =) so it only works on caves with wild pokemon...

So that means that I should turn around 3 times while surfing on the lake (while a repel is in effect), then run up to azelf?

Walk 128 steps with 3 pokemon in your party, inside Azelf's cave. This is the easiest way to do it.
Ooh, interesting =D

3) Walk around the cave 128 times with 3 pokemon in my party, to advance the RNG by 3 stages.

Awesome! Thank you, Syberia and Pehu.

Ooh, interesting =D

3) Walk around the cave 128 times with 3 pokemon in my party, to advance the RNG by 3 stages.

Awesome! Thank you, Syberia and Pehu.
Just to check, what is your target spread? 580 or 581. You need to take one away from that for the offset of Azelf (I think)

Just to check, what is your target spread? 580 or 581. You need to take one away from that for the offset of Azelf (I think)
My target spread is 580

Ooh... so when I talk with azelf it advances the RNG by one? =o didn't know that...

I guess I'll bring 2 pokemon in my party as opposed to 3 =P

3) Walk around the cave 128 times with 2 pokemon in my party, to advance the RNG by 2 stages.
4) Now that I'm in my 579th frame (azelf has offset of 1 so apparently 579 is my target), Talk to azelf

My target spread is 580

Ooh... so when I talk with azelf it advances the RNG by one? =o didn't know that...

I guess I'll bring 2 pokemon in my party as opposed to 3 =P

3) Walk around the cave 128 times with 2 pokemon in my party, to advance the RNG by 2 stages.
4) Now that I'm in my 579th frame (azelf has offset of 1 so apparently 579 is my target), Talk to azelf
I believe so. Each stationary pokemon advances the RNG by a certain amount, eg. 1 for Heatran.

The best thing to do is to test it out. Catch a pokemon, find your seed then catch azelf and find it on the Method J list (note that sweet scenting also consumes a certain amount of frames.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 22)