Other Most Improved Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also need to take into account that we don't know how the many pokemon we don't have access to have improved as well. There could be a bunch of new fairy types(Like the Pixies from Gen 4, Maybe mew?) Other pokemon can get Mega forms(I am going out on a limb and saying ALL the previous starters will be getting mega forms, it doesn't make sense that only Blaziken does. I see all the starters being event mega's like Blaziken) New hidden abilities and moves for pokemon, plus the new breeding changes will give some pokemon access to moves that were illegal before.

Anyway, as to the ones we currently know. I think Absol, Kanga, and Mawile get the best boosts via mega evolution. The best ones that didn't get mega evos are pretty much the ones people said. I think Azu, Scolio, Galv, And Togikiss. Ariados may get more looking too thanks to sticky web

I'd say Whimsicott, due to its new fairy typing and immunity to powder moves giving it more opportunities to switch in and the Infiltrator buff allowing it to ignore subs, since it's fast even without Prankster.

Side note to Shuckle. Trapping moves buff as well as Infestation allow Shuckle to actually do some damage as well as crits being nerfed make crit fishing much harder. He's still pretty much NU but no longer a laughing stock.

Togekiss got a huge improvement in that it got a superior typing, and can wall dragons like Garchomp and Haxorus completely. Garchomp has to run Stone Miss or Iron Head to deal with Togekiss, and if there are Silly Strings on the field, Garchomp/Haxorus has no hope as Togekiss will outrun it and flinchax it to the point where it can guarantee a KO with Dazzling Gleam, which usually means it needs to use Air Slash once.

Gengar. Its sludge bomb/wave has better coverage, shadow ball has better coverage, other special attacks were nerfed, it gained a resistance and MegaGar is broken

Without wanting to burst anyone's bubble, I'd not go all out saying Togekiss is there to purely wall the main offensive dragons, especially since many of them can, and will, regardless of Togekiss's presence, run Stone Edge. It's not 100% reliable, of course, but that doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that Kiss' can safely switch in, especially once your opponent realises that Kiss is your answer to dragons, and so starts to predict her switch in. Kiss also retains her weakness to Stealth Rock, relies on Paraflinch to stop herself being KO'd by the dragons using Stone Edge, while she can only 2HKO many of them in return with Dazzling Gleam, without significant SpA investment. Kiss isn't the precise topic here, but my point is that she's not really the "most improved" when, short of the fairy typing, many of her old issues haven't been compensated for. On top of that, she won't really overpower UU so there's no reason why she won't be allowed there, regardless of a revived viability in OU from back in 4th gen.

My vote for one of the most improved (although perhaps not the most) is Blastoise, by means of his mega; along with being an excellent spinner, he gained something in value in the fact that he checks Aegislash very well; if a new pokemon will be used, so will its checks! Aside from those specifics, he gained a great new ability and buffed SpA from his Mega form, which, by nature of the ability, came bundled with a much improved move pool; he can get perfect coverage now from his STAB combined with Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse and Dragon Pulse (I don't recall if he got any of those before, but he definitely didn't get them all); before, he was fairly limited to his STAB and Ice Beam to have any kind of offensive presence in UU, thus rendering him inferior to Suicune, Milotic and Swampert in all ways but Spinning, meaning if you took him for spinning, you was bringing a slightly sub-par Bulky-Water to the field. The improved defences that come with his mega also make him more viable as a bulky water, although he still lacks recovery outside of rest, and loses out on what he had before in the form of Rain Dish (as setting up rain is really as long as it's broad for Blastoise nowadays) and, if you're using the mega to take advantage of the improvements, leftovers. Despite that, a RestTalk set is viable; nothing stopping him from filling your spinner role at the same time, and water isn't a drastically unreliable STAB - your spinner hardly needs to be a massive offensive threat anyway, but he might be outclassed by the ones who are.

One of the Pokémon that, on paper, has improved drastically, is Aggron. I've always liked aggron, but it gets destroyed by ... well, everything but the generic bird Pokémon or something with just a normal type attack. Now with it's mega, it's got a great ability, even less resistances and INCREDIBLE defense combined with a better special defense AND attack. it's improved by leaps and bounds.

Actually, pretty much every pokemon with a mega was improved. Except for Abomasnow. [seriously gamefreak? he's got a bad typing combined with already bad speed and you want to make him slower and more bulky? I hope you know what you're doing]. Mawile got crazy attack and a new type, Medicham got much better seed and EVEN higher attack, Alakazam is even faster and hits harder, do I even need to talk about mega gengar?, all of the first gen starters got crazy good megas (even if charizard Y didn't get a better typing), Mewtwo is now the strongest pokemon again, Ampharos is now a little bulkier with CRAZY special attack and a useless new typing, Tyranitar lost choice scarf but gained a stupidly high special defense in sandstorm and a crazy attack stat(really wished it got a new typing though), gyarados got a new typing which allows it to change its weaknesses half way through the battle and an even larger attack, Pinsir now has some crazy attack power and a diverse attacking type, Kangaskhan now brings out the baby in it's pouch and becomes a true beast, Aerodactyl is now strong enough to actually hurt some walls and even faster and a tiny bit bulkier, scizor is now even more powerful and bulky (Bullet punch EVERYTHING!), Heracross got much better stats but a worse ability, Manectric and Houndoom both got bulkier faster and more powerful with better abilities (kinda) , Mega gardevoir is a special offensive destroyer in a dress, Banette is now viable for more than just suicide, Absol can now be offensive with a higher speed (which is all it needed), Lucario is INCREDIBLY dangerous now with his mega, and Garchomp can now change his role in play from sweeper to wallbreaker. Oh an blazikenloses it's focus sash for crazy stats and a possible baton pass set
man those are powerful megas. and to those who have improved without megas: All the fairy types (special mention to togekiss) because now they actually have resistances and a supereffective STAB against other types ('cause most of the fairies were normal type before.). and Azumarill is a beast, always was, now with an immunity to switch into.
Scolipede is a big winner, and any pokemon with sticky web and/or defog is a lot more helpful. that's everything I can think of

While it's still a pretty poor Pokemon, I'm pretty sure that Masquerain is the only Pokemon with Sticky Web and access to Quiver Dance and Baton Pass, and it probably enjoys being able to ignore Subs with Bug Buzz. It's not much, but it's something. It also has Intimidate, to round out some pitiful pantomime of a legitimately threatening debuffer. Its hard to call it the most improved Pokemon this generation, and it's unlikely to see much use anywhere above RU, but it's nice to see such an overlooked Pokemon get SOMETHING to work with.

With Intimidate, it's also significantly faster and bulkier than Ariados. I think it'll be the superior low-tier Sticky Webber. It will also have the new and improved Defog at its disposal come December.

While it's still a pretty poor Pokemon, I'm pretty sure that Masquerain is the only Pokemon with Sticky Web and access to Quiver Dance and Baton Pass.
Smeargle can do all of that and has higher speed and access to rapid spin, spore, defog, shell smash and other hazards. I'm not sold on Galvantula being OU, though would not be surprised if it is for a while. Sticky Web will also boost Smeargle usage IMO as the fastest non-Galvantula Sticky Web user. I think it'll constantly be one tier behind Galvantula.

For most boosted 'mon I think Scolipede. UU easy. Mega Mawile, UU easy, possibly BL. I don't see OU teams giving their mega slot to Mawile over Gengar, Lucario etc... or Azumarill, which of the three I think will have the biggest impact on the meta (OU).

The one's I'm most impressed by are:

1. Kanghaskhan.
Substitute wrecker. An effective base attack that is through the roof. Power up Punch x2. Decent Moveset. Enough bulk to take a hit. One speed boost away from being able to wreck a team (which brings me to the next pokemon...)

2. Scolipede.
Setting spikes. Poison immunity and toxic spike remover. SPEED BOOST. Baton Pass.

3. Togekiss.
Flinchax remains intact. A boon to dragons. New type is a net-sum benefit.

Last edited:
No Shuckle love?

With a 4-Hit KO from Mega-Gengar Shadow Ball (and like a 6HKO when in a sandstorm), Shuckle is one the safest thing to deploy either Stealth Rocks or Sticky Web with. (But not both: Stealth Rocks is Gen4 TM / Gen5 Move Tutor, and Sticky Web is an egg move. So Shuckle cannot "double-hazards").

Myself, I finally have Flare Blitz.
I'd love to see you break out, but, last time I played NU, Golem, Gigalith, and Carracosta where EVERYWHERE. Life will likely continue to be incredibly unkind to you.

But, yanno, 130 Atk STAB Flare Blitzes will always be good. Especially from something that can sponge Special hits like a boss. I don't see Jynx, Magneton, Gardevoir, or Magmortar beating you head-to-head any time soon.

I think that Charizard really has improved the most, it has gone from NU all the way to OU just because of a switch of typing and now base 100 speed. Finally we have a fire dragon you can actually use in competitive. Absol is probably a close second, going from RU to OU is pretty awesome just because of one ability.

It's not fair to say that Absol would go OU purely thanks to Magic Bounce.

Okay, we did see Espeon jump to OU and Xatu to UU, but still. It's the 115 Base Speed increase that's really going to do work for Absol. Of course, Magic Bounce discouraging status attempts probably helps Absol's case in encouraging Pokemon to attack to take a base 150 STAB Sucker Punch to the grill. It's a lot of both, but I'd still attribute the base stat increase more than anything else.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
No Shuckle love?

With a 4-Hit KO from Mega-Gengar Shadow Ball (and like a 6HKO when in a sandstorm), Shuckle is one the safest thing to deploy either Stealth Rocks or Sticky Web with. (But not both: Stealth Rocks is Gen4 TM / Gen5 Move Tutor, and Sticky Web is an egg move. So Shuckle cannot "double-hazards").
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be able to run both with the Egg move illegalities lifted.

Male Shuckle with Stealth Rock.
Female Shuckle with Sticky Web.
Females can now pass on Egg moves, remember.

I think it's Azumarill.

Also, speaking of Gardevoir and Jynx, I'm hoping its new Fairy typing will let it possibly creep up on the old lady.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be able to run both with the Egg move illegalities lifted.

Male Shuckle with Stealth Rock.
Female Shuckle with Sticky Web.
Females can now pass on Egg moves, remember.
It is possible, but not for the reasons you listed. Stealth Rock is not a level up or egg move. Sticky Web is a level up move, though. You can transfer a SR Shuckle from BW2 and level it up to 53 for Sticky Web.

Without wanting to burst anyone's bubble, I'd not go all out saying Togekiss is there to purely wall the main offensive dragons, especially since many of them can, and will, regardless of Togekiss's presence, run Stone Edge. It's not 100% reliable, of course, but that doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that Kiss' can safely switch in, especially once your opponent realises that Kiss is your answer to dragons, and so starts to predict her switch in. Kiss also retains her weakness to Stealth Rock, relies on Paraflinch to stop herself being KO'd by the dragons using Stone Edge, while she can only 2HKO many of them in return with Dazzling Gleam, without significant SpA investment. Kiss isn't the precise topic here, but my point is that she's not really the "most improved" when, short of the fairy typing, many of her old issues haven't been compensated for. On top of that, she won't really overpower UU so there's no reason why she won't be allowed there, regardless of a revived viability in OU from back in 4th gen.
thing is if they run coverage for togekiss they run into getting walled by Skarmory and other steels and now have to make a choice to get walled by skarm or get walled by togekiss.

thing is if they run coverage for togekiss they run into getting walled by Skarmory and other steels and now have to make a choice to get walled by skarm or get walled by togekiss.
You can't really say taking Stone Edge is sacrificing relevant coverage; EdgeQuake has it's own contraction for a reason, and I challenge you to find a commonly used Chomp or Mence set that skips EQ in favour of other options - I'll grant you, they normally skip Stone Edge for said other options (Fire Blast, is what I'm thinking of, really). Besides that, there's not much disadvantage to simply having a switch-in for Skarm instead of taking otherwise un-needed coverage on your Chomp/Mence/Nite, seeing as Fire or Electric coverage is very common and Skarm isn't all that that threatening to anything; anything jumping in to Kiss is gonna take either a Thunder Wave, or a STAB Dazzling Gleam/Air Slash to the face off a Base 120 SpA (which you can't guarantee some EVs haven't been invested in to). All in all, it seems like a much better option to predict around your opponent switching in their Kiss, to switching in their Skarm or similar (the whole same discussion can, in part, apply to Ferro/Forry, but they're missing the recovery and EQ immunity). Of course, as soon as we discuss people predicting EQ's, having Edge available to surprise them on the switch in becomes a conversation drastically covering just about every EQ immune pokemon, especially those weak to Stone Edge, as most people see EQ-toting threats as free switch-ins for their levitating/flying threats.

I'd love to see you break out, but, last time I played NU, Golem, Gigalith, and Carracosta where EVERYWHERE. Life will likely continue to be incredibly unkind to you.

But, yanno, 130 Atk STAB Flare Blitzes will always be good. Especially from something that can sponge Special hits like a boss. I don't see Jynx, Magneton, Gardevoir, or Magmortar beating you head-to-head any time soon.
Psh, I don't care, I finally have something better than Fire Fang. It's like how Azumarill felt in the gen 4 transition.

I have Superpower and Iron Tail, Rocks and Fairies aren't stopping me, especially when I resist the latter with my mighty 110 Sp.Def.

And they called my stat distribution "weird"... it all worked out! It just took 5 generations!

Psh, I don't care, I finally have something better than Fire Fang. It's like how Azumarill felt in the gen 4 transition.

I have Superpower and Iron Tail, Rocks and Fairies aren't stopping me, especially when I resist the latter with my mighty 110 Sp.Def.

And they called my stat distribution "weird"... it all worked out! It just took 5 generations!
Right on, bro! Flare Blitz Flareon will wreak havoc over the metagame!

Is Charizard RU or NU atm?
In the BW meta, NU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)