Move/Ability animations thread

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi. I know that this is called the move animations thread, but I was wondering if certain abilities could be animated? Examples would be primarily abilities that impose external influence, like Mold Breaker, Trace, Intimidate, etc and not stuff like Magic Guard or Levitate. I guess it may be a little hard to draw the line here but it's just a thought.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Hi. I know that this is called the move animations thread, but I was wondering if certain abilities could be animated? Examples would be primarily abilities that impose external influence, like Mold Breaker, Trace, Intimidate, etc and not stuff like Magic Guard or Levitate. I guess it may be a little hard to draw the line here but it's just a thought.
Oh. Yeah some abilities can also be animated. I mean, look at Anger Point. That's animated now.
But yeah, I'm only going to be animating only a small amount

The new POW moves look good, nice work! :]

Any chance you could use the hand (Force Palm, etc.) and POW symbols repeatedly imposed over the user for Belly Drum? The current animation doesn't really reflect that you're sacrificing half your life to use it -- it needs a little more flash. Something similar to this (though the music notes are probably unnecessary):

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
The new POW moves look good, nice work! :]

Any chance you could use the hand (Force Palm, etc.) and POW symbols repeatedly imposed over the user for Belly Drum? The current animation doesn't really reflect that you're sacrificing half your life to use it -- it needs a little more flash. Something similar to this (though the music notes are probably unnecessary):

Sure

Belly Drum:

Last edited:

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Bit slow... looks more like Belly Successive Hit than Belly Drum...

Could the animation for multi-hit moves like pin missile and bullet seed happen on each hit? I think it'd make them look better and make it a little easier to count all the hits as they're happening.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Bit slow... looks more like Belly Successive Hit than Belly Drum...
But, isn't Belly Drum exactly that?

Could the animation for multi-hit moves like pin missile and bullet seed happen on each hit? I think it'd make them look better and make it a little easier to count all the hits as they're happening.
Was suggested before, but I'm not sure how well that can work out, repeating the animation. Imagine seeing Double Slap 5 times. It would take quite a while for the turn to end. Yes you can press the skip button but, that would miss the point in having that repeat in the 1st place.
Besides, you can see in the battle log how many times the move hits so...
I'll think about it

This might not look as good as I'm imagining it, but for Hone Claws, do you think you could use repeated "slash" particles (for moves like Sacred Sword and Fury Cutter, I think there's multiple variations of the particle) to the right of the user or superimposed over it? Currently all it has the same minimalist sparkle that Belly Drum used to.

Thanks, great work so far!

EDIT: Also because I feel bad just making random requests I thought I'd try to contribute a new particle. It took me like 5 minutes so don't feel bad trashing it lol. Still, I think something similar might be useful for various moves abilities.

Here are the moves I could see this being used for:
  • Mean Look
  • Miracle Eye
  • Baby-Doll Eyes
  • Future Sight
  • Mind Reader
  • Foresight
  • Glare
  • Leer
  • Scary Face
  • Hypnosis (maybe)
  • Misc. Psychic and Ghost moves (the eye is the Psychic symbol in TCG and has an ominous quality to it that would certain Ghost type moves)
And maybe some abilities too, since they're starting to get animations:
  • Intimidate
  • Forewarn
  • Anticipation
  • Frisk
I made it partially transparent so it could easily be overlaid with a colored particle (the Moonblast moon, etc.) to distinguish moves that use the ability, and since the particle can be mirrored, there are also cases where two eyes can be used (Baby-Doll Eyes).

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
This might not look as good as I'm imagining it, but for Hone Claws, do you think you could use repeated "slash" particles (for moves like Sacred Sword and Fury Cutter, I think there's multiple variations of the particle) to the right of the user or superimposed over it?
Yeah I guess. I'll give it a try later.

EDIT: Also because I feel bad just making random requests I thought I'd try to contribute a new particle. It took me like 5 minutes so don't feel bad trashing it lol. Still, I think something similar might be useful for various moves abilities.
This is ridiculously big! This should be around 120px width max or something, comparing with the other fx we have

• Mean Look - Yes
  • Miracle Eye - Yes
  • Baby-Doll Eyes - No. Too scary looking
  • Future Sight - Not sure yet. Inclined to no.
  • Mind Reader - Yes
  • Foresight - Not sure yet
  • Glare - Yes
  • Leer - No
  • Scary Face - I might do this one. I sort of have an idea on how to do it, if I decide to use the particle.
  • Hypnosis (maybe) - No
  • Misc. Psychic and Ghost moves (the eye is the Psychic symbol in TCG and has an ominous quality to it that would certain Ghost type moves) - Besides these noted, I doubt any more moves would use it
  • Intimidate - Using this particle, no. I'm still not sure Intimidate should be animated. If you give me an idea on how it should, I'll most likely give it a try, depending on the suggestion
  • Forewarn - Using this particle, no. I'm still not sure Forewarn should...
  • Anticipation - Using this particle, no. I'm still not sure...
  • Frisk - Using this particle, no...
Responses in bold

Easier to scale down than to scale up, so I wanted to be on the safe side. :P
Here's a reduced version with some slight-cleanup on the pixels:

I agree with most of your points -- just wanted to include every sight/eye themed move/ability just in case.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Honestly prefer the old Precipice Blades animation. New one lacks that "Blades" feeling the old one had with the spikes, and now looks like Stone Edge.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This might not look as good as I'm imagining it, but for Hone Claws, do you think you could use repeated "slash" particles (for moves like Sacred Sword and Fury Cutter, I think there's multiple variations of the particle) to the right of the user or superimposed over it? Currently all it has the same minimalist sparkle that Belly Drum used to.

Thanks, great work so far!

• Mean Look
  • Miracle Eye
  • Baby-Doll Eyes
  • Future Sight
  • Mind Reader
  • Foresight
  • Glare
  • Leer
  • Scary Face
  • Hypnosis (maybe)
  • Misc. Psychic and Ghost moves (the eye is the Psychic symbol in TCG and has an ominous quality to it that would certain Ghost type moves)
  • Intimidate
  • Forewarn
  • Anticipation
  • Frisk
I made it partially transparent so it could easily be overlaid with a colored particle (the Moonblast moon, etc.) to distinguish moves that use the ability, and since the particle can be mirrored, there are also cases where two eyes can be used (Baby-Doll Eyes).

Yeah I guess. I'll give it a try later.

This is ridiculously big! This should be around 120px width max or something, comparing with the other fx we have

Responses in bold
Jajoken, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes here, but your eye particle gave me this idea and I think it might work better for things like Scary Face, Intimidate, etc.

That image is ripped from Gen 4's animation of Scary Face.

Possible uses in moves:
Scary Face
Glare
Nightmare
Trick-or-Treat (I know it's extremely uncommon, but I've seen it used a few times, and I've used it myself.)
Night Shade
Astonish
Shadow Sneak

Those are in-game screenshots of Shadow Sneak. I'm sure animating the black trail along the ground is more work than it's worth, so instead maybe you could try using Dark Void's animation with the face particle rising up out of the hole? Just a thought. If you don't use the face, I do still think using Dark Void's animation alone could work for Shadow Sneak.

Possible abilities:
Intimidate

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Honestly prefer the old Precipice Blades animation. New one lacks that "Blades" feeling the old one had with the spikes, and now looks like Stone Edge.
A more aggressive Earth Power*

Also, spikes look very underwhelming for what the animation is supposed to look like.
But I'll give it a shot

Jajoken, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes here, but your eye particle gave me this idea and I think it might work better for things like Scary Face, Intimidate, etc.

That image is ripped from Gen 4's animation of Scary Face.

Possible uses in moves:
Scary Face
Glare
Nightmare
Trick-or-Treat (I know it's extremely uncommon, but I've seen it used a few times, and I've used it myself.)
Night Shade
Astonish
Shadow Sneak

Those are in-game screenshots of Shadow Sneak. I'm sure animating the black trail along the ground is more work than it's worth, so instead maybe you could try using Dark Void's animation with the face particle rising up out of the hole? Just a thought. If you don't use the face, I do still think using Dark Void's animation alone could work for Shadow Sneak.

Possible abilities:
Intimidate
Completely forgot about this. This does look better than using the eye. Sorry Jajoken
Anyway I'll give both particles a shot on some moves.

Don't worry Acast, I totally agree. After all, it's literally the in game particle, so it should logically fit better. :P

I think the eye would look better on more Psychic/mystical moves (Future Sight, Mind Reader) and the ones that literally refer to eyes (Miracle Eye), but yours definitely is better for Ghost/"scary" moves.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Why are you liking the post? It looks bad
I thought it was a good start. Showed the stabby aspect of the move at least. The stretched stone pillar looks a bit wrong but overall I don't think it's bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)