Munchlax

QC: Montsegur / Raiza. / Magnemite
GP: P Squared / Rhythms

[OVERVIEW]

Munchlax distinguishes itself from other Pokemon in the PU tier with its extremely high HP stat and Eviolite-boosted defenses, which allow it to live almost any unboosted special attack such as Zebstrika's Thunderbolt or Simipour's Hydro Pump with ease. It has only one weakness, being Fighting-types, which are uncommon outside of Poliwrath and Machoke, as they are the only two relevant Fighting-types. Thick Fat allows Munchlax to take on Fire- and Ice-types such as Ninetales and Aurorus with ease and gives it a niche over Lickilicky, although it is threatened by Taunt and Knock Off unlike Lickilicky. Munchlax's relatively high Attack stat allows it to hit hard, even without investment, and prevents it from being setup bait. On the downside, Munchlax has trouble taking down common Ghost-types due to its lack of coverage. It is also left vulnerable to strong physical attacks before boosting its Defense with Curse and lacks reliable recovery.

[SET]
name: CurseLax
move 1: Curse
move 2: Body Slam
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Eviolite
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Careful
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse boosts Munchlax's Attack and Defense stats, allowing it to survive more hits such as Piloswine's Earthquake and Mightyena's Crunch. It also allows Munchlax to deal more damage and break through Pokemon that would usually counter it, such as Probopass. Body Slam can deal a lot of damage, even unboosted, and has the chance to paralyze threats that try to set up on it. Rest allows Munchlax to fully restore its health and get rid of another status ailment. Once Munchlax is asleep, it is able to switch into sleep inducers such as Jumpluff. Sleep Talk allows Munchlax to attack or set up while it is asleep so that it isn't complete setup fodder. Earthquake is an option over Sleep Talk, as it allows Munchlax to hit Steel- and Rock-types such as Probopass and Pawniard for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

This EV spread and a Careful nature aim to maximize the number of special attacks that Munchlax can take, as Curse boosts its physical defense. Thick Fat allows Munchlax to easily take hits from Fire- and Ice-types such as Ninetales and Rotom-F. Eviolite boosts Munchlax's Defense and Special Defense stats by 50 percent, allowing it to take a ton of special hits and take more physical hits.

Usage Tips
========

Munchlax can be used early-game to pivot into some special attackers such as Zebstrika and Simipour and Fire- and Ice-types such as Rapidash and Vanilluxe. Use Curse in the late-game against a Pokemon that is unable to set up against Munchlax, such as Rapidash or Zebstrika. Munchlax can switch in on most special attacks, but it can't take on moves such as Focus Blast from strong special attackers like Raichu and +2 Simisear. Be wary of Knock Off, as it will destroy Munchlax's walling capabilities. Munchlax can take weaker physical attacks, but, even with Eviolite, it doesn't have the physical bulk for repetitive switches into strong physical attacks. Unless your opponent has a Ghost-type, Body Slam should be the move Munchlax is spamming, as it allows you to spread paralysis to the opponent's team. Only use Rest when Munchlax's HP is low or if Munchlax can't survive a hit plus some residual damage such as poison. Sleep Talk is for when Munchlax is asleep. Only use it twice in a row because Munchlax wakes up on the third turn.

Team Options
========

Munchlax works well with Pursuit trappers, such as Pawniard and Stoutland, as it can't touch Ghost-types. Probopass is a great partner for Munchlax, as it traps the Steel-types that Munchlax struggles to beat, such as Pawniard and Probopass. Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke also help to deal with Steel-types, notably Pawniard. Because Munchlax can be vulnerable to some physical attackers, it appreciates physical walls, especially ones that can take on Fighting-types, such as Pelipper and Togetic. Munchlax needs its Eviolite to take as many hits as possible, so it appreciates Pokemon that can take Knock Off easily such as Poliwrath and Jumpluff. Munchlax is best used on bulky offense, balance, and stall teams due to its ability to take a lot of hits and its relatively decent offensive presence with Body Slam. Pokemon such as Pelipper, Togetic, Jumpluff, and Arbok are helpful to Munchlax, as they can switch into Fighting-types, which Munchlax is weak to.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Munchlax can run a more defensively based set with Whirlwind over Curse, a spread of 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD, and an Impish nature, which allows it to phaze boosting Pokemon, but Munchlax then loses out on the ability to set up itself. Munchlax can use Seed Bomb to take on Rock-type Shell Smash users such as Carracosta and Barbaracle so that it isn't complete setup fodder for them. Zen Headbutt is an option over Body Slam that prevents Munchlax from being completely walled by Ghost-types, although this causes Munchlax to be walled by Dark-types.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types, such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist, so they can set up on it or easily wear it down.

**Fighting-types**: Munchlax struggles to take hits from Fighting-types, particularly Close Combat from Machoke and Focus Blast from Poliwrath.

**Knock Off Users**: Munchlax needs its Eviolite to take as many hits as possible and set up, and Knock Off gets rid of it. Knock Off users such as Pawniard and Leafeon threaten Munchlax a lot because they can remove its Eviolite and wear it down with their other attacks.

**Rock-types**: Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta and Barbaracle threaten Munchlax because it can't do much damage to either of them and they can both set up on it.

**Steel-types**: Steel-type Pokemon such as Pawniard and Klang can take hits from Munchlax and set up on it.

**Taunt Users**: Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Grumpig can Taunt Munchlax so that it is unable to set up or recover with Rest, therefore limiting what it can do and making it easier to take out. The former can Will-O-Wisp Munchlax and prevent it from recovering, while the latter can deal a lot of damage to it with Focus Blast.

**Trick**: Trick not only lowers Munchlax's bulk by taking its Eviolite but also gives it an item it doesn't need, which is usually a Choice item. Pokemon such as Rotom-F and Dusknoir can Trick Munchlax a Choice item, locking it into a move that can't do any damage, or an attacking move that another Pokemon can take advantage of.

**Phazers**: Pokemon that can phaze Munchlax such as Poliwrath and Avalugg are able to deal with it by taking away its boosts and forcing it out.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Strong attackers such as Rampardos and Ursaring can take on Munchlax before it has set up and KO it with little to no consequence, therefore forcing Munchlax out.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Im sorry but this set is just not viable in the current metagame. Mono-normal coverage (well w/o a fast taunt) on a poke just isnt enough for it to be able to sweep a team considering how common rock/steel/ghost types are in this metagame. Even if you have team mates that can pursuit trap or magnet pull trap, there is no guaranteeing they will be successful meaning that munchlax is effectively useless. Then there are rock types which cannot be trapped (with viable mons) meaning the most you can try and do is fish for a body slam paralysis as costa/barbaracle start setting up. Even with a coverage over sleep talk i still dont see this being effective, as with eq you still lose to most ghost types, and with seed bomb you still lose to steels and ghosts dont take much, and this gives your opponent free turns to set up.

The restalk whirlwind set is the only one i can see munchlax reliably (and viably) pulling off as it prevents munchlax from being complete set up fodder, capitalising more on munchlax's niche of thick fat, as it is more willing to switch in and spend most its time asleep knowing it isnt a sitting duck. Honestly im doubting munchlax's viable as a whole, as although it has a legit niche over licki not only is stall virtually unviable, but licki is still a huge staple (i guess it might have a merit on hypno stall which again, is niche).

Dundies

Im sorry but this set is just not viable in the current metagame. Mono-normal coverage (well w/o a fast taunt) on a poke just isnt enough for it to be able to sweep a team considering how common rock/steel/ghost types are in this metagame. Even if you have team mates that can pursuit trap or magnet pull trap, there is no guaranteeing they will be successful meaning that munchlax is effectively useless. Then there are rock types which cannot be trapped (with viable mons) meaning the most you can try and do is fish for a body slam paralysis as costa/barbaracle start setting up. Even with a coverage over sleep talk i still dont see this being effective, as with eq you still lose to most ghost types, and with seed bomb you still lose to steels and ghosts dont take much, and this gives your opponent free turns to set up.

The restalk whirlwind set is the only one i can see munchlax reliably (and viably) pulling off as it prevents munchlax from being complete set up fodder, capitalising more on munchlax's niche of thick fat, as it is more willing to switch in and spend most its time asleep knowing it isnt a sitting duck. Honestly im doubting munchlax's viable as a whole, as although it has a legit niche over licki not only is stall virtually unviable, but licki is still a huge staple (i guess it might have a merit on hypno stall which again, is niche).

Dundies
can we wait for other QC input on this at least? ive been using this set a lot for the past few weeks and have had so much success with it to the point where it's my wincon almost 1/3 of the battles i play with it. i can send you replays or w/e if you want, but i really disagree about this set not being viable in this meta. i can add on the whirlwind set and even put it before this set, but this is the only set i have even played with and ive had a ton of success with it.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview: This just feels short, like there has to be more to say. Mention how it has access to phazing and can be tough to take down with a few boosts, but also that it doesn't like to be knocked off and is very susceptible to taunt and encore. Also, please change the "it's" to "its" in this line
Has trouble taking down common Ghost-types with it's lack of coverage.

Moveset: So as for the main set, I'm with Anty that mono normal sucks. The set I prefer to use is mono attacking with zen headbutt, as it enables you to hit ninetales for neutral damage and dark types are really rare, plus you can LO stall mightyena. Another good set is simply whirlwind over curse, although I'm not sure if that's worth a set now that stall is this poor, I'll leave that to full QC members to decide.

SD: LEARN YOUR IT'S VS ITS PLS also can you use a different word other than insane? Please find another way to say really high.

UT: I agree with these points, but it feels short and unexpanded. Obligatory not QC mention even though you knew that when you asked me to work on this, but they feel like short bullets not a whole analysis. Also I don't think you need to say "don't use sleep talk unless asleep". Maybe a QC person will correct me but that seems pretty obv

TO: Jumpluff isn't really the best switch-in to knock off because pretty much every user has some sort of option to fuck it up (machoke's ice punch, leafeon can BP out, pawn can iron head and won't take shit, etc). I'd probably mention pelipper instead. Again, feels too short, although maybe there just isn't much to say. Saying "goes on balance BO and stall" is kinda vague, you could at least list more good pokes for those and maybe not mention stall bcuz meh. If whirlwind gets a set which it prob should, you could mention spikers

OO: Costa and barb can still smash on zero attack seed bomb, they just won't beat it 1v1

CC: Phazing and encore? idk if relevant enough to mention encore, but I'd say that it doesn't appreciate being phazed by grumpig or poliwrath as you lose boosts and maybe didn't get to recover etc etc

edit: ZH is better imo because murk and krok are good but rare while pawn already beat you plus can be probo trapped. you cant hit as hard but you also are much more effective once set up, so at least add to OO

Last edited:
implemented Megazard Z i feel really strongly about Body Slam > Zen Headbutt (as we talked about) and I figured I'd give my reasoning on the thread. Body Slam discourages offensive Pokemon to switch into Munchlax since it has the chance to paralyze and it does a surprisingly large amount of damage to a lot of pokemon. With the departure of Haunter, mono Normal got better (not saying its great, but better) and i think it's a lot better than mono Psychic.

lmao mono psychic :|

Couldn't this set just have rest/curse/2 atks? ik you're walled by missy still but it's still theoretically a decent set. i haven't used munchlax but figured i'd offer my 2 cents.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Absolute no to zen headbut as body slams utility it what makes this set have at least some viability
Im not too sure about having another move over sleep talk as unlike for duskclops, sleep talk is actually useful for munchlax due to its lacking natural physical defense and because of body slams para possibly scaring sweepers (also doing some damage lol), as otherwise you can bring in your baracle or raichu on a predicted rest, then boost twice and KO. Of another move i feel earthquake is probably the best, as missy has less usage and taunt + willo (more common set) beats lax anyway, while drifblim is p much irrelevant. Crunch still doesnt help much vs rock/pawn and just really helps vs missy, then seed bomb also doesnt hit steels while fire punch misses out on rocks. EQ probably deserves a mention in moves rather than a slash as from playing against it i have found that sleep talk really makes it harder to beat by setting up.

In the overview you are really overselling it, and you even say 'access to whirlwind' which isnt relevant if the set doesnt run it (btw i still dont think the set is great but it is better than restalk ww so its OK for a set). Also in the overview you need to put more stress on thick fat as that is the main reason to use it over licki (thinking about it now licki may be better as they take similar damage but licki isnt weak to knock off and taunt)

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Comments in bold
[OVERVIEW]
  • Extremely high HP stat along with Eviolite boosted defenses allow it to live almost any unboosted Special Attack with ease. from Pokemon such as? Its fine to mention the stats in the overview as long as you tie it back into the metagame.
  • Has only one weakness, being Fighting-types. mention that these are pretty much non-exsistant, only Poliwrath and Machoke are common
  • Thick Fat allows Munchlax to take on Fire- and Ice-types what pokemon does this allow munchlax to take on? with ease and gives it a niche over Lickilicky, although Munchlax is threatened by Taunt and Knock Off unlike Lickilicky.
  • Relatively high Attack stat that allows Munchlax to hit hard, even without investment.
  • Has trouble taking down common Ghost-types with its lack of coverage.
  • Is left vulnerable to strong physical attacks without any boosts. lack of reliable recovery as well

[CurseLax]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Curse allows Munchlax to boost it's Attack stat along with it's Defense stat, allowing it to live more hits such as Piloswine's Earthquake and Mightyena's Crunch.
  • Body Slam is Munchlax's main STAB move that can deal a lot of damage, even unboosted and has the chance to paralyze threats that try to set up on it.
  • Rest allows Munchlax to heal up to full health and get rid of another status ailment. Once Munchlax is asleep, it is able to switch into other Pokemon such as Jumpluff who try to use Sleep Powder.
  • Sleep Talk allows Munchlax to attack or set up while it is asleep, therefore it isn't complete set-up fodder.
  • Earthquake is an option over Sleep Talk that allows you to hit Steel- and Rock-types such as Probopass and Pawniard. mention the con of this, munchlax is setup fodder for 2 turns

Set Details
========
  • This EV spread maximizes the amount of Special Attacks that Munchlax can take, since Curse boosts its physical defense.
  • A Careful nature boosts Munchlax's Special Defense to a very high 443 with an Eviolite boost.
  • Thick Fat allows Munchlax to easily take hits from Fire- and Ice-types such as Ninetales and Rotom-F.
  • Eviolite doubles Munchlax's Defense and Special Defense stats, allowing it to take a ton of Special hits and take more Physical hits.

Usage Tips
========
You don't tell me how to use curse at all...you also don't tell me what sort of Pokemon you should be switching in on early game. When I watched your replays you were pivoting in on various things early game before you set up late game. This needs a bit of work.
  • Munchlax works well with Pursuit trappers such as Pawniard and Stoutland, since Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types.
  • Munchlax can switch in on most special attacks, but it can't take on moves like Focus Blast from strong special attackers like Raichu or a +2 Simisear.
  • Be wary Knock Off, as it will destroy any chances of Munchlax being a wall.
  • Munchlax can take weaker phyisical attacks, but even with Eviolite, Munchlax doesn't have the physical bulk for repetitive switch-ins on strong physical attacks.
  • Rest is only to be used when low or if you can't survive a hit plus some residual damage like poison.
  • Sleep Talk is for when you are asleep. Only use it twice because Munchlax wakes up on the third turn.

Team Options
========
  • Munchlax works well with Pursuit trappers such as Pawniard and Stoutland, since Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types.
  • Probopass is a great partner for Munchlax since it traps the Steel-types that it struggles to beat such as Pawniard and Probopass.
  • Since Munchlax can be vulnerable to some physical attackers, it appreciates physical walls, especially ones that can take on Fighting-types, such as Pelipper and Togetic.
  • Since Munchlax needs it's Eviolite to take as many hits as possible, it appreciates Pokemon that can take Knock Off easily such as Poliwrath and Jumpluff.
  • Munchlax is best used on Bulky Offense, Balance, and Stall teams due to its ability to take a lot of hits and its relatively decent offensive presence with Body Slam.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Munchlax can run a more Defensively based set with Whirlwind over Curse and the spread of 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD and an Impish nature.
  • Since Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types, you can use Pursuit to take on common Ghost-types like Misdreavus more effectively.
  • Munchlax can use Earthquake to take on Steel-types that it can't hit hard such as Probopass and Pawniard
  • Munchlax can use Seed Bomb to take on Rock-type Shell Smashers such as Carracosta and Barbaracle, therefore Munchlax isn't complete setup fodder.
  • Instead of Body Slam, Zen Headbutt is an option that prevents Munchlax from being completely walled by Ghost-types, although this causes you to be walled by Dark-types.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist, so they can set up on it or easily wear it down.
**Fighting-types**: Fighting-type is the only type that Munchlax is weak to, so Munchlax struggles taking hits from Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke mention Focus Blast from relevant users.
**Knock Off**: Machoke needs it's Eviolite to take as many hits as possible and set up, and Knock Off gets rid of it. what pokemon use knock off?
**Taunt**: When Munchlax is taunted, it is unable to set up or recover with Rest, therefore limiting what it can do and making it easier to take out. what pokemon use taunt?
**Trick**: Trick not only takes away half of Munchlax's bulk by taking it's Eviolite, but it also gives it an item it doesn't need which is usually a choice item. With a choice item, Munchlax is either locked into a move that can't do any damage, or is locked into an attacking move that another Pokemon can take on. what Pokemon use trick?
**Phasing**: Pokemon that can phase Munchlax out such as Poliwrath and Avalugg are able to take it on by taking away its boosts and forcing Munchlax out.
I gave you a bit to do so I won't give it 2/3 yet, tag me back when you've implemented and I probably will.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
mention that curse also helps pulling off more damage and break through pokemon that would counter or check munchlax

Set Details
========
add the nature part to the first point

Usage Tips
========
mention that body slam should be the preferred move to spam, unless the opp carries a ghost-type, bc it hits for decent damage and is useful to spread paralysis
''Munchlax works well with Pursuit trappers such as Pawniard and Stoutland, since Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types.'' this belongs to Team Options.

Team Options
========
make a full mention about pokemon switch into fighting-types, you can add pelipper and togetic there but list more examples too.
mention fighting-types, as they can also deal with steel-types, especially pawniard.

Other Options
##########
mention what a purely defensive set gives to munch, and the drawbacks.
when you talk about pursuit, mention that it should it still be wary about willowisp.
EQ is already in moves, so you should either remove it there or here.

Checks & Counters
===================
mention rock-types
mention steel-types
change strong attackers into strong physical attackers
change phazing into phazers
when you go and write this up, add more content(not fluff) to ghost-types and phazers, aim for at least 2 lines, for example mention that missy can also taunt it and wow can be annoying

Dundies do this and its
QC 2/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
add remove
comment
[OVERVIEW]

Munchlax distinguishes itself from other Pokemon in the PU tier with its extremely high HP stat along with and Eviolite-boosted defenses, which allow it to live survive almost any unboosted special attack such as Zebstrika's Thunderbolt and or Simipour's Hydro Pump with ease (it has to be an "or" because "any unboosted special attack" is singular). It has only one weakness, being Fighting-types, which are uncommon outside of Poliwrath and Machoke, which are the only two relevant Fighting-types. (pick one: "being Fighting-types, but the only relevant ones are Poliwrath and Machoke." or "being Fighting-types, which are uncommon outside of Poliwrath and Machoke." having both "which are..."s is redundant) Thick Fat allows Munchlax to take on Fire- and Ice-types such as Ninetales and Aurorus with ease and gives it a niche over Lickilicky, although Munchlax is threatened by Taunt and Knock Off unlike Lickilicky. Its Munchlax's relatively high Attack stat that allows Munchlax it to hit hard, even without investment, and prevents Munchlax from being setup bait. On the downside, Munchlax has trouble taking down common Ghost-types with due to its lack of coverage. It is also left vulnerable to strong physical attacks before boosting and lacks without any boosts and lack of reliable recovery.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse allows Munchlax to boosts it's Munchlax's Attack and Defense stats along with it's Defense stat, allowing it to live survive more hits such as Piloswine's Earthquake and Mightyena's Crunch. It also allows Munchlax to deal more damage after being used and break through Pokemon who that would usually counter Munchlax, such as Probopass. Body Slam is Munchlax's main STAB move that (it's Munchlax's only STAB move here) can deal a lot of damage, even unboosted, (comma) and has the chance to paralyze threats that try to set up on Munchlax it. Rest allows Munchlax to heal up to full health and get rid of another status ailment. Once Munchlax is asleep, it is able to switch into sleep inducers other Pokemon such as Jumpluff who try to use Sleep Powder. (if this alters the meaning of your sentence too much just change "who" to "that") Sleep Talk allows Munchlax to attack or set up while it is asleep, therefore so that it isn't complete set-up setup fodder. Earthquake is an option over Sleep Talk that allows you Munchlax to hit Steel- and Rock-types such as Probopass and Pawniard super effectively.

Set Details
========

This EV spread and a Careful nature aim to maximizes the amount number of Special Attacks special attacks that Munchlax can take by using a Careful nature, since as Curse boosts its physical defense. Thick Fat allows Munchlax to easily take hits from Fire- and Ice-types such as Ninetales and Rotom-F. Eviolite doubles (it's a 1.5x boost) boosts Munchlax's Defense and Special Defense stats by 50%, allowing it to take a ton of special hits and take more physical hits.

Usage Tips
========

Munchlax can be used early-game to pivot early game into some Special Attackers special attackers such as Zebstrika and Simipour and Fire- and Ice-types such as Rapidash and Vanilluxe. Use Curse in the late-game against a Pokemon that is unable to set up alongside Munchlax you, such as Rapidash and or Zebstrika (has to be "or" because it follows from "...a Pokemon that is unable to set up alongside Munchlax" or more simply "a Pokemon", which is singular). Munchlax can switch in on most special attacks, but it can't take on moves like such as Focus Blast from strong special attackers like such as Raichu or a and +2 Simisear. Be wary of Knock Off, as it will destroy any chances of Munchlax being a wall (consider "as it will destroy Munchlax's walling capabilities"?). Munchlax can take weaker phyisical physical attacks, but, (comma) even with Eviolite, Munchlax doesn't have the physical bulk for repetitive switch-ins ones into strong physical attacks. Unless your opponent has a Ghost-type, Body Slam should be the move you are preferably Munchlax is spamming (or "Body Slam is the preferred move to spam") unless your opponent has a Ghost-type, (not necessary but w/ the change the "as it allows you to spread paralysis" bit follows directly from the Body Slam part of the sentence, which is more logical) as it allows you to spread paralysis to the foe's opponent's team. Only use Rest is only to be used when Munchlax's HP is low or if you Munchlax can't survive a hit plus some residual damage like such as poison. Sleep Talk is for when you are Munchlax is asleep. Only use it twice in a row because Munchlax wakes up on the third turn.

Team Options
========

Munchlax works well with Pursuit trappers such as Pawniard and Stoutland, since as Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types. Probopass is a great partner for Munchlax, as since it traps the Steel-types that it Munchlax struggles to beat, such as Pawniard and Probopass. Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke also help to deal with Steel-types, notably Pawniard. Since Because Munchlax can be vulnerable to some physical attackers, it appreciates physical walls, especially ones that can take on Fighting-types, such as Pelipper and Togetic. Since Munchlax needs it's its Eviolite to take as many hits as possible, so it appreciates Pokemon that can take Knock Off easily such as Poliwrath and Jumpluff. Munchlax is best used on bulky offense, balance, and stall teams due to its ability to take a lot of hits and its relatively decent offensive presence with Body Slam. Pokemon such as Pelipper, Togetic, Jumpluff, and Arbok are helpful to Munchlax, as they can switch into Fighting-types, which Munchlax is weak to. Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke help to deal with the Steel-types that Munchlax is weak to; notably Pawniard. (moved up for a more logical order)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Munchlax can run a more defensively based set with Whirlwind over Curse, a and the spread of 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD, (comma) and an Impish nature, which allows Munchlax to phase out phaze boosting Pokemon that set up, but Munchlax then loses out on the ability to set up itself. Munchlax can use Seed Bomb to take on Rock-type Shell Smashers users (or "Shell Smash sweepers") such as Carracosta and Barbaracle, therefore so that Munchlax isn't complete setup fodder for them. Instead of Body Slam, Zen Headbutt is an option over Body Slam that prevents Munchlax from being completely walled by Ghost-types, although this causes you Munchlax to be walled by Dark-types. (idk anything metagame-wise but doesn't Body Slam still hit them?)

Checks & Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist, so they can set up on it or easily wear it down.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-type is the only type that Munchlax is weak to, so Munchlax struggles taking to take hits from Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke. It struggles to take on moves such as, particularly Close Combat from Machoke and Focus Blast from Poliwrath.

**Knock Off Users**: Machoke needs it's its Eviolite to take as many hits as possible and set up, and Knock Off gets rid of it. Knock Off users such as Pawniard and Leafeon threaten Munchlax a lot since because they can Knock Off remove its Eviolite and wear it down with their other attacks.

**Rock-types**: Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta and Barbaracle threaten Munchlax because it can't do much damage to either of them and they can both set up on Munchlax.

**Steel-types**: Steel-type Pokemon such as Pawniard and Klang can take hits from Munchlax and set up on it.

**Taunt Users**: When Munchlax is taunted from Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Grumpig can Taunt Munchlax so that, (remove comma) it is unable to set up or recover with Rest, therefore limiting what it can do and making it easier to take out. The former can Will-O-Wisp Munchlax and prevent it from recovering, (comma) while the latter can deal a lot of damage to it with Focus Blast.

**Trick**: Trick not only takes away half (not half) of cuts into/lowers/something (up to you) Munchlax's bulk by taking it's its Eviolite, (remove comma) but it also gives it an item it doesn't need, (comma) which is usually a Choice item. With a choice item from Pokemon such as Rotom-F and Dusknoir can Trick Munchlax a Choice item, locking it, Munchlax is either locked into a move that can't do any damage, or is locked into or an attacking move that another Pokemon can take on. ("take advantage of" is a bit better imo?)

**Phasers Phazers**: Pokemon that can phase phaze Munchlax out such as Poliwrath and Avalugg are able to take it on deal with it by taking away ("take on", "taking away" --> too many "take"s too close to each other) its boosts and forcing Munchlax it out.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Strong attackers such as Rampardos and Ursaring can take on Munchlax before it has set up and take it out KO it (same thing as above, "take on", "take it out") with little to no consequence, therefore forcing Munchlax is forced out.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[OVERVIEW]

Munchlax distinguishes itself from other Pokemon in the PU tier with its extremely high HP stat and Eviolite-boosted defenses, which allow it to live almost any unboosted special attack such as Zebstrika's Thunderbolt or Simipour's Hydro Pump with ease. It has only one weakness, being Fighting-types, which are uncommon outside of Poliwrath and Machoke, being the as they are (sounds better) only two relevant Fighting-types. Thick Fat allows Munchlax to take on Fire- and Ice-types such as Ninetales and Aurorus with ease and gives it a niche over Lickilicky, although Munchlax it is threatened by Taunt and Knock Off unlike Lickilicky. Munchlax's relatively high Attack stat allows it to hit hard, even without investment, and prevents Munchlax it from being setup bait. On the downside, Munchlax has trouble taking down common Ghost-types due to its lack of coverage. It is also left vulnerable to strong physical attacks before boosting its Defense with Curse (makes it more apparent to the reader about what Munchlax boosts its Defense with) and lacks reliable recovery.

[SET]
(Remove blank line)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse boosts Munchlax's Attack and Defense stats, allowing it to survive more hits such as Piloswine's Earthquake and Mightyena's Crunch. It also allows Munchlax to deal more damage and break through Pokemon that would usually counter Munchlax it, such as Probopass. Body Slam can deal a lot of damage, even unboosted, and has the chance to paralyze threats that try to set up on Munchlax it. Rest allows Munchlax to fully restore its heal up to full health (sounds better) and get rid of another status ailment. Once Munchlax is asleep, it is able to switch into sleep inducers such as Jumpluff. Sleep Talk allows Munchlax to attack or set up while it is asleep so that it isn't complete setup fodder. Earthquake is an option over Sleep Talk, (AC) as it that allows Munchlax to hit Steel- and Rock-types such as Probopass and Pawniard for super effectively damage. (you aren't supposed to use "super effectively")

Set Details
========

This EV spread and a Careful nature aim to maximize the number of special attacks that Munchlax can take, as Curse boosts its physical defense. Thick Fat allows Munchlax to easily take hits from Fire- and Ice-types such as Ninetales and Rotom-F. Eviolite boosts Munchlax's Defense and Special Defense stats by 50% percent, allowing it to take a ton of special hits and take more physical hits.

Usage Tips
========

Munchlax can be used early-game to pivot into some special attackers such as Zebstrika and Simipour and Fire- and Ice-types such as Rapidash and Vanilluxe. Use Curse in the late-game against a Pokemon that is unable to set up alongside against (I assume you mean "against"; if not, however, ignore this change.) Munchlax, such as Rapidash or Zebstrika. Munchlax can switch in on most special attacks, but it can't take on moves such as Focus Blast from strong special attackers like Raichu and +2 Simisear. Be wary of Knock Off, as it will destroy Munchlax's walling capabilities. Munchlax can take weaker physical attacks, but, even with Eviolite, Munchlax it doesn't have the physical bulk for repetitive switches into strong physical attacks. Unless your opponent has a Ghost-type, Body Slam should be the move Munchlax is spamming, as it allows you to spread paralysis to the opponent's team. Only use Rest when Munchlax's HP is low or if Munchlax can't survive a hit plus some residual damage such as poison. Sleep Talk is for when Munchlax is asleep. Only use it twice in a row because Munchlax wakes up on the third turn.

Team Options
========

Munchlax works well with Pursuit trappers, (AC) such as Pawniard and Stoutland, as Munchlax it can't touch Ghost-types. Probopass is a great partner for Munchlax, as it traps the Steel-types that Munchlax struggles to beat, such as Pawniard and Probopass. Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke also help to deal with Steel-types, notably Pawniard. Because Munchlax can be vulnerable to some physical attackers, it appreciates physical walls, especially ones that can take on Fighting-types, such as Pelipper and Togetic. Munchlax needs its Eviolite to take as many hits as possible, so it appreciates Pokemon that can take Knock Off easily such as Poliwrath and Jumpluff. Munchlax is best used on bulky offense, balance, and stall teams due to its ability to take a lot of hits and its relatively decent offensive presence with Body Slam. Pokemon such as Pelipper, Togetic, Jumpluff, and Arbok are helpful to Munchlax, as they can switch into Fighting-types, which Munchlax is weak to.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Munchlax can run a more defensively based set with Whirlwind over Curse, a spread of 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD, and an Impish nature, which allows Munchlax it to phaze boosting Pokemon, but Munchlax then loses out on the ability to set up itself. Munchlax can use Seed Bomb to take on Rock-type Shell Smash users such as Carracosta and Barbaracle so that Munchlax it isn't complete setup fodder for them. Zen Headbutt is an option over Body Slam that prevents Munchlax from being completely walled by Ghost-types, although this causes Munchlax to be walled by Dark-types.

Checks & and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types, (AC) such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist, so they can set up on it or easily wear it down.

**Fighting-types**: Munchlax struggles to take hits from Fighting-types, particularly Close Combat from Machoke and Focus Blast from Poliwrath.

**Knock Off Users**: Munchlax needs its Eviolite to take as many hits as possible and set up, and Knock Off gets rid of it. Knock Off users such as Pawniard and Leafeon threaten Munchlax a lot becuase because they can remove its Eviolite and wear it down with their other attacks.

**Rock-types**: Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta and Barbaracle threaten Munchlax because it can't do much damage to either of them and they can both set up on Munchlax it.

**Taunt Users**: Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Grumpig can Taunt Munchlax so that it is unable to set up or recover with Rest, therefore limiting what it can do and making it easier to take out. The former can Will-O-Wisp Munchlax and prevent it from recovering, while the latter can deal a lot of damage to it with Focus Blast.

**Trick**: Trick not only lowers Munchlax's bulk by taking its Eviolite but also gives it an item it doesn't need, which is usually a Choice item. Pokemon such as Rotom-F and Dusknoir can Trick Munchlax a Choice item, locking it into a move that can't do any damage, or an attacking move that another Pokemon can take advantage of.

**Phazers**: Pokemon that can phaze Munchlax such as Poliwrath and Avalugg are able to deal with it by taking away its boosts and forcing it out.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Strong attackers such as Rampardos and Ursaring can take on Munchlax before it has set up and KO it with little to no consequence, therefore forcing Munchlax out.

[GP 2/2]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)