Murderer's Row (first OU team)

Hello everyone. With the new games out (hopefully I'll get Y for Christmas...fingers crossed!) and a new generation ahead of us, I decided it was time to take the (scary) leap into the OU metagame after a few months of Little Cup and Random Battles. I've tested this Volt-Turn team, named after the 1927 New York Yankees, and I'm winning more than half my games. But a little advice might help quite a bit, and it will make a huge difference in Murderer's Row.

Combs (Froslass) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Ice Beam

With Combs, I have two choices. I can use her as a suicide lead, Taunting and Spiking before claiming an easy victim with Destiny Bond, or I can bring her in as a spinblocker after Koenig sets up with Stealth Rock. Usually I can use her as a lead, so the 252 Spd EVs ensures that I can set up a Taunt. She can usually lay down at least one layer of Spikes before going down; if I can get all three in place, Ice Beam is a good STAB move in most situations. Destiny Bond works like a charm if I'm quicker out of the gate, but it's not perfect if I'm slower. I'm still getting used to the timing, so it will probably improve with time. Having 252 SAtk EVs is useful when using Combs as a spinblocker. Ice Beam hits hard, and it's a great time to set up Spikes if the Rocks are up. And if all else fails, that's what I have the Focus Sash and Destiny Bond for.

Koenig (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Koenig is my obligatory Talonflame-supporting Rapid Spinner, and he's pretty adaptable to the situation. If I lead with one of my Volt-Turners, the Donphan can come in to catch the opponent off-guard after a Stealth Rock, then absorb a hit and set up my own Rocks while I decide whether to bring in the spinblocker Combs or transition to a heavy hitter like Gehrig. If Combs pulls off a Taunt after the opponent sets up Rocks, Koenig is a good pivot man to spin, set up Rocks, and hit hard on spinblockers with Earthquake or get the priority with Ice Shard. If I'm able to Destiny Bond the opponent's lead and then go into my Volt-Turners, I can save him as a rapid spinner or use him as a bulky hitter if the entry hazard threats are gone.

Gehrig (Alakazam) (M) @ Alakazite
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam
- Substitute

Gehrig the MEGA Alakazam is the Special Sweeper. Substitute can get me a barrier of protection if the opponent switches out. Mainly, the other moves are used for coverage, and it works surprisingly well. Psychic is the obvious STAB move. Focus Blast and Signal Beam get me the most power and coverage, it seems. I've been very interested in Mega Alakazam ever since he was announced, and the stat boost makes Gehrig more deadly. His Mega Ability, Trace, is also fantastic to catch the opponent sleeping, if (for instance) an opponent with Water Absorb tries to knock me down with Hydro Pump. I always like to include at least a small way I can catch an opponent sleeping, and use lapses in concentration and focus to my advantage. Much like Alakazam, in fact.

Ruth (Hydreigon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Earthquake

My mixed sweeper is the legend, the heavy hitter: Ruth, the Hydreigon. His EVs are invested in SAtk so a Draco Meteor won't fully disable both that and Fire Blast. Ruth can clean up quite nicely with his Life Orb, but it doesn't last too long, so timing is amazingly important. A Volt-Turner can switch to the Bambino if he resists the opponent's go-to move (or Choice move), and Ruth can cause massive damage from then on. In late-game desperation, Hydreigon can wreak havoc with Draco Meteor and Superpower as a last resort.

Meusel (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Meusel the Rotom is the "Volt" half of my Volt-Turn core, and he is one bulky critter. Pain Split for healing and Will-O-Wisp for support help wear down the enemy, and Hydro Pump is insanely powerful for clearing away Ground immunities. Once they're out of the picture, STAB Volt Switch gets Meusel out of trouble. Will-O-Wisp is particularly helpful for annoying stallers, especially if they've been Taunted by Combs. Grass Knot is used quite a bit in the metagame, and with a high special defense and HP combined with a small size, it does next to nothing.

Lazzeri (Talonflame) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Steel Wing
- Brave Bird

Tony Lazzeri was one of the best second basemen ever, and he, much like his Talonflame namesake, was a team player first and a superstar second. The "Turn" half of my Volt-Turn core loves to switch in on Grass types trying to spar with Meusel. Also like the real Tony Lazzeri, Talonflame hits early and hits often. A Priority and STAB Brave Bird (with Gale Wings) is the major attacking move of the set. Flare Blitz, like Brave Bird, causes recoil damage, but by the time recoil knocks out Lazzeri, he's done his job to the best of his ability. If trouble is afoot, he can always U-Turn to either Meusel or Koenig the Donphan, who can clear out any Rocks that could cause Lazzeri trouble.

Last edited:
Two small suggestions, for mega alazazam, try running shadow ball instead of signal beam, since of the new buff to ghost types and the fact that we are going to be seeing lots of ghost types in the future, second try using choice band on talon flame, priority choice band brave bird hurts a ton, priority and choice bands tend to be a good mix. lastly be careful of keldeo running around, you really don't have any safe switches, espicially in the rain. You could rvenge kill it will alakazam or talon flame but neither can switch into it. And ironicly this team has a hard time taking on the common volturn team of scizor and rotom. a pokemon that might want to be replaced is hydreigon. This might be my personal preference speaking out but unfortunately it shares the keldeo weakness, also the weakness to ice types,and makes your team more vulnerable to volt turning. What you want to replace it with (if you replace it at all) is completely up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)