Code:
#518 Musharna
Typing: Psychic
Ability 1: Forewarn
             Alerts the user to the opponent's move that has the highest 
             Base Power when the user switches in.
Ability 2: Synchronize
             If another Pokémon inflicts burn, paralysis, or poison on the
             ability-bearer, then the enemy receives the status as well.
Ability 3: Telepathy
             Immune to damage from partner's moves.

HP: 116
Atk: 55
Def: 85
SpA: 107
SpD: 95
Spe: 29

[B]Level Up Moves:[/B]
Lv1: Psywave
Lv1: Defense Curl
Lv5: Lucky Chant
Lv7: Yawn
Lv11: Psybeam
Lv13: Imprison
Lv17: Moonlight
Lv19: Hypnosis
Lv23: Zen Headbutt
Lv25: Synchro Noise*
Lv29: Nightmare
Lv31: Future Sight
Lv35: Calm Mind
Lv37: Psychic
Lv41: Dream Eater
Lv43: Telekinesis
Lv47: Assist Power

*Synchro Noise: Psychic Special Power: 70 / Accuracy: 100
    Deals more damage if the target is the same type as  the user.

**Telekinesis: Psychic Other Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
    Makes target easier to hit for 3 turns.

***Assist Power: Psychic Special Power: 20 / Accuracy: 100
    The more the user's stats are raised, the more damage this attack deals.

[B]TM Moves:[/B]
TM03 - Psycho Shock
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM19 - Telekinesis
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM77 - Psych Up
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM92 - Trick Room

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
Sleep Talk
Secret Power
Barrier
Magic Coat
Helping Hand
Baton Pass
Swift
Curse
Sonicboom
At first glance, Musharna seems to lack anything that sets him apart from fellow Psychic-types like Cresselia, Celebi, and Rankurusu. Cresselia's greater bulk makes it better suited for most support roles; Celebi has comparable defensive stats and special attack, access to Recover, more speed, and better attacking options; Rankurusu has Magic Guard, higher special attack, and access to Recover. Musharna, however, does have a few noteworthy traits:

• Musharna is one of the only new Pokémon to learn Sleep Talk, and it has the bulk to pull it off. Recover is usually a more reliable recovery option, but Rest/Sleep Talk in conjunction with Synchronize will make him a capable status absorber. His other recovery move is Moonlight, which may be useful now that permanent sun isn't exclusive to Groudon.
  • Hypnosis. This is pretty unique for a bulky Psychic-type, and it is rumored that Hypnosis is back to 70 accuracy this generation. I'm not sure if that information is true, but if it turns out to be false, Musharna also learns Yawn.
  • Musharna has access to Baton Pass, although Celebi might be better suited for this role. Musharna can pass Calm Mind as well as bulky Substitutes, and he learns Barrier and Curse as Egg Moves (they may not be compatible).
  • With Telepathy, natural bulk, Helping Hand, and a variety of other team support moves, Musharna will shine in doubles and triples.

Possible Sets:

Name: Magic Fetus
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Sassy
- Trick Room
- Hypnosis / Baton Pass / (Yawn)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rankurusu will typically be a better Trick Room user with Magic Guard, Recover, and the ability to sweep with it himself. Musharna can only hope to use it more effectively in terms of support--he can come in on a good match-up, put their switch-in to sleep, and set up Trick Room. Alternatively, he can Trick Room on the switch-in, and Baton Pass to scout for switches. Moonlight + Psychic is an option over Rest + Sleep Talk, but Moonlight is subpar without Sun, and typically Sun teams dislike Trick Room.

Will Musharna have a niche apart from its Psychic brethren, or is it doomed to mediocrity in many things? Other ideas for sets? It can imitate Cresselia with Rest/Sleep Talk/Charge Beam/Psychic with higher special attack. Calm Mind/Substitute/Baton Pass--is there anything that sets it apart from Celebi besides Hypnosis? Dual Screen, Double Status with Hypnosis/Thunder Wave...

Immunity to not only EQ, but Surf/Discharge/etc in Double/Triple battles + Helping Hand makes it golden. In most situations outclassed by Cress, but it has a nice niche, I think.

Musharna seems more like a focused, bulky Cherrim that can work outside of Sun. Mainly to be used for Doubles/Triples support with immunity to Freindly Fire techniques and Helping Hand, as well as a few good support moves like Trick Room and Gravity. In fact, I would think Musharna would be the -only- Pokemon thus far that can avoid collateral damage from Gravity-Earthquakes from someone like Ryperior.

Musharna@Leftovers
Relaxed
252 Hp/252 Def/6 SpD
-Psychic
-Trick Room
-Hypnosis
-Rest

It won't need the Sleep Talk thanks to its bulk and will also need an attacking move just in case it has to face a Dugtiro, for example. Anyway I really like this thing.

Well, Trick Room support needs some kind of reliable recovery. His purpose would basically be to sleep something (potentially saivng you from their Pursuiter), set up Trick Room, and switch out/Rest when necessary. Later it can come in and repeat.

Could be a new dual screener for the UU tier with those sexy defenses. I'm not really sure what moves it would run other than the obvious, though.

http://sync.in/black-and-white-changes

According to this, Magic Coat now reflects Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Taunt, Whirlwind, and Roar. This makes it way more useful than it was before, and Musharna is the only new Pokemon that learns it. Plenty of older stuff can use it, though, since it was a move tutor move.

It looks like Hypnosis still has 60 accuracy, unfortunately, so unless there some kind of item that makes it more reliable, Musharna will have to stick to Yawn and Thunder Wave. :/

http://sync.in/black-and-white-changes

According to this, Magic Coat now reflects Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Taunt, Whirlwind, and Roar. This makes it way more useful than it was before, and Musharna is the only new Pokemon that learns it. Plenty of older stuff can use it, though, since it was a move tutor move.
:/
If that is true, Magic Coat just turned into an insane move..provided it used correctly, of course.
Are you certain Musharna is the only new poke? I had hopes that the Aztec bird could learn it. Eh, you are probably right.

I guess this gives Murshana a special niche, even more so that it is viable in doubles/triples. Still new to those metagames, but I do see this having potential in UU.

There's nothing wrong with Yawn. It forces switches just as good as hypnosis ever did. It's not like Musharna will be sleeping anything on the first turn anyway.

I can see this being useful in Double/Triple battles the most. Telekinesis, Telepathy, Dual Screens, Helping Hand, and Status moves...That will be interesting...

I hope it's just not me, but has anyone else noticed Musharna's base 107 Special Attack? I definitely can't ignore that. Combine it with Musharna's good defensive stats, low Speed, and Trick Room, and that equals a great Trick Room sweeper!

Musharna@ Life Orb
Synchronize
Quiet Nature
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpA
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Energy Ball/Charge Beam
-Moonlight/Rest

I know that Musharna doesn't have great coverage, but ignoring its base 107 Special Attack completely is surprising. It isn't even mentioned in its noteworthy traits... :(

Well, It doesn't learn recover, so might update the OP.

Anyways, that wonderful base 107 Special Attack could run a Calm Mind set...

Nature: Modest
Evs: 252 HP/ 244 Def/12 Special Attack
Calm Mind
Energy Ball/Shadow Ball
Psycho Shock/Charge Beam
Moonlight

Since Musharna Doesn't have the best Defense, you could probably use some investment in there since its Special Attack doesn't need much investment. (NOTE: This would be for OU, since it has great defenses otherwise. However, with Sazandora and the like running around, It might be needed to put some in Special Defense at the cost of HP evs.)

It's great hp coupled with 85 Def and 95 SpDef make it a good candidate for a dual screener... mabey...

Name: Screening Tapir (changed)
Ability: Synchronize/ Forewarn
Evs: 252 Hp/ 104 Def/ 152 SpDef
Nature: Calm/ Sassy
~ Light Screen
~ Reflect
~ Moonlight/ Rest/ Baton Pass
~ Psychic/ Psycho Shock

Too bad it lacks Explosion and U-Turn (and the physical attack to use them) which made so many past Dual Screeners so useful. The Evs and nature could be tweaked a bit to make it so Musharna can take physical hits a bit better, but with pokemon Sazandora running around, SpDef and HP should be priority. Baton pass is there if Shandera tries to trap you. Sadly, the loss of recover forces it to resort to Rest, which puts you to sleep for two turns, or Moonlight, which isn't so bad, unless of course Hail, Sandstorm, or Rain is up.

It could also potentially run a Baton Pass set

Name: Baton Pass
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Careful
Evs: 200 Hp/ 196 Def/ 112 SpDef
~ Baton Pass
~ Calm Mind
~ Magic Coat/ Substitute/ Barrier
~ Psychic

The main allure of this set is that Musharna can acess both CM and Barrier, which helps it take while setting up and helps it's teammates take hits when they're passed the stat boosts.

^^ both sets look pretty good(outclassed but who really cares right now) but I think forewarn might be better on the first set cuz it helps read the opponents move pool...somewhat. And musharnas a tapir not an elephant.

^^ both sets look pretty good(outclassed but who really cares right now) but I think forewarn might be better on the first set cuz it helps read the opponents move pool...somewhat. And musharnas a tapir not an elephant.
Oh, well it looked like an elephant to me, and, come to think of it Forewarn is a viable option on the first set, but I put synchronize in your opponent tried to Will-O-Wisp stall you with a shandera (if you lack Baton Pass, though I'm not sure synchronized burning works on fire types) or if you came in on a toxic (Or they just decided Toxic you while your in) from Burungeru, it would be really nice to have it statused... come to think of it, mabey it's a fetus of a tapir oa some sort of living bong... though I highly doubt that it's the latter... Anyway, yeah, forewarn can be an option on the dual screener.

For the Calm Mind/Baton Pass set, another thing that might set him apart from Celebi is access to Magic Coat. It can bounce back Taunts (especially from the new Mischievous Heart users), Encore, Sleep, Whirlwind, Roar, etc. Could potentially use Calm Mind/Baton Pass/Magic Coat/Psychic, or even Barrier or Substitute in the last slot.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah Kyu, I was about to say that. Although he is certainly outclassed in a lot of roles he can fill a niche as one of the best Calm Mind passers around.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Forewarn / Synchronise
Relaxed 0 Spe IV
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Magic Coat
- Psychic

With this spread, his physical bulk is fantastic - 436 HP and 295 Def. Some quick calculations to further illustrate that...

16 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird = 20% - 24%
0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake = 22% - 26%
Adamant 252 Atk Garchomp Outrage = 39% - 46%
Adamant 252 Atk LO Lucario Crunch = 40% - 48%
+2 Adamant 252 Atk Doryuuzu Earthquake = 68% - 80%

Once Musharna gets a Calm Mind in, his SpD shoots up to 340. That means...

Timid 252 SpA Sazandora Draco Meteor = 35% - 42%
MixMence LO Draco Meteor = 42% - 49%
Gengar LO Shadow Ball = 54% - 64%

With Magic Coat blocking Roar, Whirlwind, Taunt, Encore and status, it seems as though it could be quite difficult to stop this lil chap from passing a few Calm Minds. His terrible speed is quite helpful in this regard as it ensures that the recipient will get in unscathed (hence the nature and 0 Spe IV).

And, for what it's worth, he has a respectable 375 SpA after a Calm Mind so he can smack around Dragon Tail users and cause a bit of damage himself. Psychic's a pretty awful mono-attacking type though...

Immunity to not only EQ, but Surf/Discharge/etc in Double/Triple battles + Helping Hand makes it golden. In most situations outclassed by Cress, but it has a nice niche, I think.
No immunity to EQ in singles though... Despite levitating, Musharna doesn't get the levitate ability. While that baffles me to no end, He's got some interesting options as is.

You're right, he can be easily fitted onto any surf/discharge team, as well as the rare lava plume teams. Explosion immunity is always a plus, as is imprison. Give him imprison/protect/trick room / psycho shock, and you'll screw up ungodly numbers of strategies. How does imprison work in triples? Has this been researched yet?

Musharna's awesome. I reckon it was built with multi battles in mind, what with it having telepathy, dual screens, and all that fun stuff.

I think he meant that he's surprised that it doesn't get Levitate, considering it's sprite (which would give it immunity to opponents' Earthquakes, not just teammates').

Well, this thing looks like it'll be amazing in multi battles. Immunity to friends' EQ will be a huge help. Also, does Synchronize copy self-inflicted status? If it does, you could cripple any physical attacker by switching in with a Flame Orb. Here's a set I thought up:

@ Flame Orb
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 Hp/252 Satk/4 Sdef
-Psycho Shock
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Energy Ball

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)