My First (And Probably Last) Gen 5 OU RMT

Welcome!​
With Gen 6 just around the corner, I figured I'd finally get a bit involved in the Smogon community. Without a further ado, here's the team.

First up to bat:

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Fiery Dance
-Roost
This guy. Took the metagame by storm, with people scared witless when something with a quad Stealth Rock weakness could bounce back and sweep a team. This set focuses on Volcarona's surprising bulk, complemented by Flame Body and Leftovers. I forgoe Giga Drain for Roost because the point of this set is to slowly boost up to +6 and Roost allows it to shrug off phys attacks while waiting for a burn. It can also surprise people expecting to take him out at low health, while he just gets back up to full. He also acts as a Scizor check if I don't think Slowbro can take the U-turn. The only downside is that he's pretty much done if he gets Toxic'd, so I have to be careful around the pink blobs, especially since they're barely 2HK'Oed.

Next we have:

Jolteon (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power [Ice]
That's right. Quick Feet. It acts like a Choice Scarf with Life Orb's recoil and versatility. The point of this set is to revenge kill stuff (preferably weakened) and Volt Switch out before the Toxic damage stacks up. HP Ice takes care of the normal Electric immunes (Ground-types and Thundurus-T) while Shadow Ball gets a little neutral damage (I say a little because standard Mamoswine isn't 2HKO'ed) and also hits some faster threats super effectively, such as the Lati@s twins and Gengar. This set is mostly used for surprise factor, catching scarfers off guard. Plus, he resists Scizor's Bullet Punch, meaning he's hard to kill with priority.

Introducing the first part of my Regenerator core:

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast
-Slack Off
Regenerator is an excellent Ability, and it makes bulky Pokemon even better by allowing them to shake off damage while switching to a counter. I often use Regenerator over Slack Off for mass healing. He makes a great counter to any physical attacker without a boosting move or a STAB super effective attack (Terrakion's X-Scissor does about a third). Most of those exceptions, like Scizor and Breloom, are checked by the rest of my team (Volcarona and Amoonguss, respectively). However, he does have problems. He isn't exactly the strongest, even with the surprise factor of Ice Beam / Fire Blast. His low speed also makes him a liability against Skarmory, whose Specially Defensive set doesn't even take half from Fire Blast. I think I need the most help with his moveset, out of the whole team.

And the other half:

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef
Calm Nature
-Spore
-Stun Spore
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
Amoonguss is the Special Wall of my team, using his high HP to take Electric, Grass, and Ghost-type attacks aimed at the other half, and even some non-STAB Earthquakes! The EVs may seem a bit odd, but it's listed on the site to take out +2 Keldeo's Subs with Giga Drain. Spore and Stun Spore may seem like overkill, but paralysis is excellent for helping Scizor get in and safely dispatch faster threats like Heatran. Giga Drain is for STAB and a bit of healing. Sludge Bomb hits Breloom and Celebi hard, the former wrecking my team since Slowbro can't handle STAB Bullet Seed.

Now for my lead:

Archeops (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Stone Edge
-U-turn
Archeops hits and excellent base 110 Speed, allowing him to outspeed and Taunt most leads. Then, if they pose a threat and I need to preserve Archeops (for example, if they have a spinner), I can U-turn out. Otherwise, I set up Rocks before going into a counter. U-turn is beneficial for breaking Sturdy. Stone Edge is good if I lose Scizor before taking out the foe's blobs, because Volcarona is my only other chance at beating them, and a questionable one at best. I use this fossil over Aerodactyl because of U-turn and a higher Attack stat. I have considered using Endeavor for when my Sash is broken because it bypasses Defeatist and does major damage.

And my final member:

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Superpower
-Quick Attack
Good old CB Scizor. Frankly, I stick this guy on every team I can, and some I probably shouldn't (sun teams). U-turn for scouting, Superpower for coverage, and the usual devastating 135 power (factoring STAB, Technician, and Choice Band) Bullet Punch. I can't count how many weakened teams I've swept with Bullet Punch. Quick Attack may seem odd, but it gives a strong neutral hit on Fire and Electric-types, like Volcarona, Infernape, and Jolteon. Of course, I have to predict well to catch those targets on the switch.

So, some major threats:

Heatran: I need some good prediction and a little luck to beat this guy. +6 Volcarona can 3HKO's with Bug Buzz, at worst. My most common strategy is to paralyze it with Stun Spore, using Amoonguss's incredible bulk to tank a Fire Blast/ Flamethrower, but I need to be at full health. After that, I can either sack Amoonguss, but I don't do that unless it's the last enemy. Otherwise, I have to somehow force it out, which is a feat in itself. I normally just switch Slowbro into a Fire move. However, if I've revealed that I don't have Scald, they might stay in and possibly hit me with a super effective Hidden Power. Then, I have to bring in Scizor safely. Most variants of the furnace turtle are OHKO'ed by Superpower after paralysis allows me to outspeed.

Jirachi: Specially Defensive sets are hard to take down with Slowbro's Fire Blast, as it is innacurate and weak. Substitute sets can set up against the mammalian hermit crab as well. Volcarona is an excellent check to almost all variants. Even if he's paralyzed by Body Slam or Thunder, his sweep is inevitable, barring a lucky crit. Scarf variants with Iron Head get burned by Flame Body, meaning Volcarona can (Quiver) Dance circles around them with Roost patching him up if he gets low.

Mamoswine: Slowbro takes almost half from Life Orb Earthquake. The end. My only hope at beating it is with Scizor's Bullet Punch, but if he's taken out, I'm pretty much screwed.

Those are just some of my major threats. If you have any suggestions, feel free to share them. But please stay away from changing Pokemon, as I'm rather partial to this team.

Changes:
Slowbro: Fire Blast -> Scald - RubyLime1

Last edited:
Definitely a great team, love the movesets and pokemon themselves! But just one tiny bitty problem: you don't have any water moves! This can get you into some tight corners my friend (trust me, it will D:), try maybe replacing Slowbro's Fire Blast with Scald, it's a water move that has a pretty high chance to burn your foes (and it might help with the mamoswine and heatran threat).

But for the rest, i love the team! Sorry if i can't be a lot of help, i'm not exactly a professional in competitive battling. ;)

Good luck my friend !

RubyLime1
That... is something I should have thought of before. I guess I loved the idea of surprising Grass and Steel-types, but Slowbro isn't even good at that. Thanks a lot. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have seen how bad Fire Blast was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)