SM OU My First Competitive Team (Sand Team)

• Introduction:
Hi IronBullet, here is my updated RMT that you requested since my original was locked due to me not providing enough information about the team. Having done thorough research, I have decided to run a Sandstorm team as my first competitive Pokémon team. I have battled on Pokémon Showdown quite a bit with this team, so I know what its strengths and weaknesses are. As a result, I know what I need to work on more but could use your expert help to tweak and improve my team. Overall, I like the Pokémon I have chosen and enjoy battling with them every time.

The Team:

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
Tyranitar is my sand setter that also provides pursuit support. I decided to use Tyranitar over Hippowdon on my sand team because I wanted to have more of an offensive presence that can force my opponent to switch out. It can also serve as an effective wallbreaker due to its incredible attack stat. As for its moveset; Stone Edge and Crunch for STAB, Pursuit to heavily damage or OHKO targets that are neutral or weak to Dark upon switching out, Fire punch for targets not expecting it, such as Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, Ferrothorn, Magearna, and Celesteela.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
I choose Excadrill because it is unrivaled in speed when performing in the sandstorm which is why I choose to go Jolly nature since it only fears priority moves, opposing Excadrills, and Mega Alakazam’s Trace. As you can tell, it serves as my sand rush sweeper that is super deadly when all its counters are gone. For its moveset; Earthquake for STAB to OHKO threats like Ash Greninja, Iron Head for STAB to damage pokemon that resist ground type attacks like Tapu Bulu, Rock Slide for Flying types that might be in its way for sweeping, Rapid Spin since no other pokemon on my team has a hazard removal move.

Charizard-Mega-Y
@ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost
I chose Mega Charizard Y because it has good synergy with Tyranitar and Excadrill. It completes the core between them. Its role is to wallbreak early so my Excadrill can have an easier time to sweep late-game. My Excadrill in return can rapid spin so Charizard can switch in safely. For its moveset; Flamethrower over Fire blast for accuracy, Solar Beam becomes a one turn move in drought after mega evolving which takes care of water and rock types, Focus Blast for opposing Tyranitar when its sandstorm overrides the Sun as well as Heatran which otherwise walls Charizard, Roost is there incase I can’t remove stealth rocks in time with Excadrill.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
I chose Tangrowth to cover my major water weakness. It is there to switch directly into threats that it checks such as Keldeo, Manaphy, and Ash-Greninja. I can use it to pivot back out to scout out the opponents set if I wish to do so which will greatly benefit me with its regenerator ability. As for its moves; Giga Drain over Leaf storm because I always prefer accuracy over power as well as getting back as much heath possible since it is made to be a defensive pivot, Knock Off to weaken opponents so that my team can have an easier time, Hidden Power Ice to weaken Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Garchomp which can otherwise set up on Tangrowth (HP Fire was not picked because I have 3 pokemon on my team with fire moves, Earthquake hits Heatran and other steel types to weaken them for my team to care of.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
Magearna was a tough choice I had to make over Gengar. In my conclusion I will go more in detail. I chose Magearna because I needed something to counter fighting types which my team is very weak to. It also it very bulky and has many resistances which is what I needed in my team. For its moves; Fleur Cannon for STAB to hit fighting types as hard as possible, Flash cannon for STAB and to force out pokemon like Tapu Lele, Mega Diancie, and Clefable, HP Fire to threaten Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, Volt Switch to safely bring in my pokemon and gain momentum against pokemon like Toxapex and Chansey for teammates to capitalize safely.

Greninja-Ash @ Waterium Z
Ability: Battle Bond
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam/Water Shuriken
- Spikes
Finally, I chose Greninja because I needed a speed control on my team and to counter ground types that can cancel my Excadrill Sweep late game. I can bring in Greninja safely using a volt turn from Magearna. For moves, Hydro Pump for a powerful STAB move dealing heavy damage to neutral targets, Dark Pulse to deal much needed neutral or super effective damage to Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Latios, for the third slot I can’t decide between ice beam or Water Shuriken. Ice beam can be useful since many opponents won’t expect it, also I only have one ice move on my team. Water Shuriken on the other hand can become a powerful priority move once battle bond is activated. The last move is Spikes since I don’t have any other hazard to set on the field.

Threats and Concerns:
  • Very Weak to Water and Fighting (Especially Fighting)
  • Have no stealth rocks user on my team (I feel like having it would make my Excadrill sweep easier to achieve and not rely solely on spikes which might not even come up on the field)
  • Don’t have any electric moves
  • Don’t know if I should use Gengar instead of Magearna for switch in immune to fighting type moves which I am terrified of, but if I do I sacrifice bulk and volt turn from Magearna.
Conclusion:
These are the things that as of now I can identify. I’m sure there are more which I would love to know since I really like using this team very much. I feel that I have done a decent job creating this team for it to be my first competitive team. I hope I made this as clear as possible so that your expertise can make my team perfect or at least close to it haha. Have a Merry Christmas!!

Last edited by a moderator:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Reopened

Snowy Edit: Moved to appropriate section.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)