1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

My first competitive team

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Tyler Nagase, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Tyler Nagase

Tyler Nagase

i just wanted to post my team and see what you guys think of it and see if yall have anything better for it. ill explain some of the movesets and how you use them.

Scizor @ Life Orb
    Ability: Technician
    -Bug Bite
    -Bullet Punch
    -Sword Dance
    -Roost

Scizor is by far my favorite pokemon in the game. he has an insane attack and ability. bullet pench are perfect, bullet punch starts t 40 power, technician makes it 60, STAB makes it 90, and life orb makes its power reach up all the way to 120 power. bug bite is even better. it can get up to 150. you can one shot alot of pokemon with those, sword dance just tops it off and after 1 or 2 of those hes set. roost when needed.

Blissey @ Leftover
    Ability: serene grace
    -Softboil
    -Toxic
    -Protect
    -Swagger/endure

She is just a tank, toxic right away and then if you do swagger, that one first. i usually go with out swagger and just use protect and endure. you will never die and toxic will always take them over.

Dragonite @ Expert Belt
    Ability: inner Focus
    -Dragon Dance
    -Dragon Claw/Outrage
    -Fire Punch
    -Earthquake

Hes pretty much an offensive hoss. dragon dance a couple of times and its going to be extremelyhard to take him down. if you go with outrage, youll be able to beat any other dragon type and fire punch takes care of ice.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Ability: Immunity
    -Earthquake
    -Focus Punch
    -Yawn
    -Rest

Snorlax is just a great tank over all. i love this move set because it never gives the opponent a chance to attack. you use yawn the first turn. then earthquake til they sleep and then focus punch and earthquake. eventually they will hit you which is just fine. yawn, then use rest the next turn. you always wake up in 2 turns and the turn you wake up use focus punch the great thing about it is you dont have to charge it at all. you use it the first try!

Milotic @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Marval Scale
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Recover
    -Attract

i could probably find a better water type but i just like milotic. i mainly use her against fire, ground, and most importantly, dragon types. nothing to special, just attract them with your seductive milotic and thing use your attacks.

Raichu @ Leftovers
    Ability: Static
    -Volt Tackle
    -Dig
    -Double Team
    -Swagger

And last but not least, Raichu! this little static fur ball is actually a little pain in the ass! i use swagger first to they cant hit me occasionally, then double team 6 times. apparently that makes it about a 20 percent chance of them hitting you after 6 double teams, with that and swagger making them never hitting you can use volt tackle and dig now. i like dig because even if they get past my double team and swagger, theyll miss. i use volt tackle on the first attack i use so then left overs can heal me while i use dig.

And thats my team! let me know what you think and if you think i should change a pokemon or a move! id love to hear it.
  2. syndrome445

syndrome445

Hello Tyler, welcome to Smogon :)
    To start off, what are the EV's on your pokemon?

On to the team itself, Serene Grace is useless on Blissey since it has no attacking moves at all, so change it Natural Cure so it can cure status when it switches out. Take out Protect for Seismic Toss so it can deal a constant amount of damage. I can see you went for toxic stalling with Blissey but any steel type practically impedes this idea. Dragonite should always have Multiscale. Change Expert Belt for Lum berry so it is basically guaranteed at least one turn of Dragon Dance. Dragon Claw if you dont want to lock yourself into outrage but Outrage after a Dragon dance does a lot to anything bar steel types i.e. ferrothorn.

I would replace snorlax because it makes your team heavily weak to the likes of fighting types (Conkeldurr). I would suggest Physically Defensive Skarmory:
    Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Ability: Keen Eye
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
    Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind
    It has excellent synergy with Blissey. Skarmory sponges up physical attacks while blissey the special attack, and Skarmory can set up hazards such as spikes or stealth rock.​
    Milotic is not the most adequate special attacker, and as such i would also like to suggest Rotom Wash:​
    Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Trick
    - Hidden Power Ice
    Excellent pokemon. Has Very good type synergy with scizor and can give your team momentum through Volt Switch and it can act as a revenge killer, which combined with Rotoms natural bulk, is very effective. trick, to cripple things like Blissey. HP Ice for pesky dragons (Garchomp). ​
    And lastly, Raichu is too frail and has poor coverage overall. Keeping in mind the lack of rapid spinner on your team, i would replace your raichu with a Rapid Spin user because it will help kep hazards off, something your dragonite will greatly appreciate in order to keep its multiscale intact.​
  3. Tyler Nagase

Tyler Nagase

i knew my raichu and milotic would be the first to go. im not to sure what the "EV's" are, could you let me know on what they are? i like the rotom idea but im not a fan of legendaries, could you give me another good replace ment for raichu and milotic? id like another good water or ice type mainly for the dragons so i dont have to waste my dragonite. also the last thing i would like to ask is how do you get hidden power a specific type? i thought it was random for the moves type except normal type.
  4. Neeko

Neeko

Just a few notes..
    1. Dragonite isn't the fastest poke around even after a DD so id say put extremespeed on it. (also helps if you get hit by the T-wave)
    2. Since you don't have a fighting type and you need a spinner for your multiscale to keep intact, id recommend Hitmontop.
  5. syndrome445

syndrome445

Ever wondered why pokemon seem to have different stats despite the fact that they are the same species? Well theres a reason for that. 3 main reasons.

1. Pokemons nature, one stat is boosted by 10% and another is reduced by 10%, while some natures do neither and remain neutral to all stats. Example: Brave nature ( + attack, - Speed), Modest ( + Sp.Att, - Attack). These can be seen in your pokemons summary and are also indicated on their stats. The boosted stat is red, the reduced stat is blue. If none are colored then you have a neutral nature.

2. IV's, they are the pokemon equivalent of genes so you could say. IV's are basically points that add up to a pokemons stats ranging from 0 to 31. All 6 stats have an IV that goes as high as 31. They are determined pseudo randomly by the game when you encounter a pokemon in the wild. When you breed a pokemon though, 3 IV's are randomly PASSED down from the parents, and the other 3 are pseudo randomly generated by the game.

For example if i breed Female Ludicolo and Amoongus, the resultant Lotad might have 2 IV's from ludicolo and 1 from Amoongus, and the other 3 are randomly generated. You can also control (to an extent) how these IV's are passed down through the use of Power Items such as Power Belt or Power Anklet. For example, using the Ludicolo/Amoongus example, if Ludicolo has an IV of 31 in Special Attack and i want Lotad to have that IV of 31, then all i have to do is give Ludicolo a Power Lens and im guaranteed that all Lotad that hatch from Ludicolo and Amoongus's eggs will have an IV of 31 in Special Attack. And this process is also applicable to all stats ( i.e. if i want an IV of 31 in Speed from Ludicolo/Amoongus to be passed down to Lotads then i equip the corresponding pokemon with Power Anklet). The Power items can be obtained in the Battle Subway. Their description also states which stat they help raise so you know which stat they correspond to.

You can also control which nature to pass down through the use of everstone when breeding, for example if amoongus has a Modest nature and i want Lotad to have it, then all i have to do is give Amoongus the Everstone and im guaranteed all Lotad will be Modest natured.

You can combo with Power items and Everstone too, if i give Ludicolo a Power Lens and Amoongus an Everstone ( given that i know Ludicolo has an IV of 31 in Special Attack and Amoongus has a Modest nature), then all Lotad will have an IV of 31 in Special Attack and Modest Nature. After that you should repeat the process with another pokemon which can breed with Lotad that also has an IV of 31 in the other stats that you want to have an IV of 31. For example lets say i find out i have a Male Serperior with an IV of 31 in Speed. I then should give the everstone to a Female Lotad that hatched from an egg that has an IV of 31 in Special Attack and a Modest nature( to ensure i have the desired Modest nature) and i should give Serperior a Power Anklet so its IV of 31 in speed is passed down. Then you have to hatch eggs until you hatch a Lotad with an IV of 31 in both Speed and Special Attack ( i know its luck based but thats generally how breeding works in Gen 5). After that you repeat the process over and over untill you have the desired IV's on your pokemon .

You can figure out whether or not a pokemon has an IV of 31 by going to the Stats judge in the Battle Subway, he looks like an Ace Trainer i believe. He will tell you which stat is your pokemons best, and if it is 31 in that stat he will say "It can't be better in that regard". Or you could simply use an IV calculator online from Serebii or any other website.

3. EV's, they stand for Effort Values. Battling certain pokemon with your own pokemon will help strengthen that pokemon in a certain stat as opposed to Battling a different pokemon. For example if i battle Basculin using my Lotad my speed stat will increase as opposed to battling Litwick who would raise my Special Attack. All pokemon give off EV's and they raise your pokemons stats ( slowly, the change is not noticable immediately depending on your pokemons level). Pokemon can give off up to 3 EV's in a certain stat, for example, Basculin gives off 2 SPEED EV's when defeated to your pokemon while Litwick gives off 1 SPECIAL ATTACK EV. Pokemon can also give off multiple EV's in different stats ( if im not mistaken Deoxys Attack gives off 1 EV in attack, special attack, and speed all at once).

Every 4 EV's add up to 1 point towards your stat. For example if i take that Lotad ( pretend it evolved into Ludicolo for simplification purposes) with an IV of 31 and a Modest nature and raise it to level 100 using rare candies ( rare candies do not give off EV's anywhere so your pokemon would effectively have no EV's). Its special attack stat would be 243. If i battle 4 Litwick ( 1 Special attack ev each ) then my Ludicolo's Sp. Attack will go up 1 point ( 244). Every 4 EV's add up to one point. There is a limit to the amount of EV's a pokemon can gain. 510 in total and 255 per stat ( 252 really because 255 is not divisible by 4 and 252 is resulting in a 63 point boost maximum through EV's). Meaning you can max out the 2 stats in terms of amount of EV's per stat and have 4 leftover which can be put anywhere but those other 2 stats. For example, i have a Modest Ludicolo with 252 EV's in Special Attack and 252 EV's Speed and 4 leftover in HP. It has IV's of 31 in both Speed and Special attack ( everywhere besides attack actually, as its attack stat is useless).

Maximum stats are determined by an IV of 31, 252 EV's in that same stat, and a stat raising nature for that same stat. For example a haxorus can have a max attack stat at level 100 of 432 if it has an IV of 31 in Attack, 252 EV's in attack, and an attack raising nature such as Adamant, Naughty, Lonely, or Brave.

I think thats everything, sorry if i missed out on anything important. Hope you understood everything xD if not try looking around, or googling.

EDIT: Rotom isn't legendary btw. Common misconception.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)