My First Doubles Team >~<

Is this team any good? ;D

• Total voters
So today was my first attempt at playing in the Doubles metagame, and my first tested Doubles team. I've been told by Pokemon Showdown users ( 1400+ on the ladder ) that my team has improved a lot from my first draft, a Noivern and Golurk combo... But anyway, this is my new team. I've won 21/30 matches with it, and usually only lose because I make extremely stupid plays, or get distracted by other things, namely my dog.

The Team
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 Spd
Impish Nature
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Helping Hand

Hitmontop is usually one of my two leads. Fake Out is there because it helps open up space to set up things on other Pokemon. Helping Hand is to make sure that his allies can hit hard enough when they need to, while Wide Guard is there to protect Volcarona from Earthquakes, as it's pretty frequent. Hitmontop is given a Sitrus Berry to help him last a little bit longer, and gives him the power to switch in easier, spreading attack drops with Intimidate. I feel this guy is a pretty solid Pokemon. He can take down threats such as Bisharp and Kangaskhan when needed, but he can mainly help out the rest of the team.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Protect

Remember this guy? Because it seems as if no one does. Volcarona is still an amazing Pokemon, no matter what tier it's in. Usually paired with Hitmontop as my lead, this thing is pretty smooth. Heat Wave is it's favored STAB, as it can hit both opponents, and is super powerful with a Helping Hand boost. Bug Buzz is just an extra STAB in there to deal with anything that resists Heat Wave, and is almost never used. Quiver Dance is relatively easy to set up with Quick Guard and Fake Out on it's bestie. After that, it's almost GG. Protect is needed simply to scout out threats, and to save it from Fake Outs, Mach Punches, and any other small attacks since they always end up hitting this guy instead of Hitmontop.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Thunderbolt

Genesect is my revenge killer, but can also operate as a sweeper. After a Download boost, Genesect is a real threat that lots of teams are unprepared for. I've seen many different sets on it, giving that same unpredictable advantage that Sigilyph has in NU. Genesect has both U-Turn and Iron Head for his STAB, and to allow him to do some damage when he gets a physical Download boost. These two attacks cover pains such as Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Togekiss. Ice Beam is there to give this robot some more versatility, allowing it to check Gyarados, Latios, Thundurus, Landorus, and other potential sweepers with ease. Thunderbolt does the same thing, checking Pokemon such as Greninja, and Talonflame. Genesect however is wasted when Volcaronas come in, and full health Charizards of any kind. This guy is also often paired in battle with Hitmontop, and loves those Helping Hand boosts to break walls, and Pokemon that aren't weak to any of these moves.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SDef / 200 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Protect
*This EV Spread was made by the awesome KyleCole!*
Ah, Garchomp. The Pokemon who's Mega Evolution is laughed upon in OU. With this set however, that's not the case. His set is pretty straightforward, and has one sole purpose: wrecking everything. Earthquake and Dragon Claw are both STAB moves that the 252+ EVs love to team with. The 56 Special Defense seems quite strange, but it actually helps Garchomp live an Ice Shard from Mamoswine, and other attacks which aren't Super Effective. Fire Blast is a filler move to destroy Klefki, Ferrothorn, and other uncommon Pokemon who would usually switch into Garchomp thinking that they have it made. Garchomp is still somewhat frail, and has trouble with Togekiss, and Trick Room. However, with a Helping Hand (usually from Cresselia), Garchomp can sometimes break through those problems.

Cresselia (F) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 40 SAtk / 240 HP / 216 SDef / 12 Def
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Rest

Even two generations later, Cresselia is the queen of Doubles. She has STAB access to Psychic, which is pretty weak. However, she has both Icy Wind AND Helping Hand. Icy Wind is to slow down anything and everything that is faster than any of my Pokemon. This is mainly helpful for Mega Kangaskhan and Greninja, but is simply good to have. Helping Hand can boost any move an allie is using to high levels, almost always guaranteeing a 1/2HKO. Chesto Rest is to get rid of Rotom Wash's burns, and to just give Cresselia some longevity. Her EV spread is pretty scattered, but seems to work pretty amazingly. I'll admit, I got the spread off of her Smogon Analysis, but it's better than the 252 HP / 252+ SpA that Pokemon Showdown was telling me to use. With this bulk, Cresselia can switch into even Super Effective attacks and have more than 50% health most of the time. She is the superglue of my team, and the key to my success. I also get very sad when she'd KOed.

L'OREAL (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

L'Oreal, the super sexy pony, is my late game sweeper. Hydro Pump and Secret Sword are both powerful STAB moves that Keldeo can't live without. These are usually boosted further with a Trick Room boost, but don't have to be. Calm Mind is just to use when Cresselia, or whatever other allie is out is getting attacked, and Keldeo is too weak to do any damage to it. After that's up, it's back to sweeping time. Hidden Power Ghost was kinda just thrown in there to counter Mega Gengar, but seems to have a more widespread use than I figured. Keldeo however, is pretty weak without bulky Pokemon around him to help take attacks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Thank you for looking over my team! I hope that I put enough information in here to help you get a good feel for my team. I'd like to mention that this team has gotten me to 1300+ in a single day. Any constructive criticism would be great, even if you're new at this :3

For your entertainment, here's my Golurk + Noivern combo...
Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash

Golurk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dynamic Punch
- Heavy Slam
- Hammer Arm

Last edited:
nice megachomp ev spread ;] haha (thanks for watching my videos, or knowing someone who does)
Most of my recommendations are small changes as opposed to lcomplete overhauls so ill just put em in point form
  • 252 hp / 60 def/ 196 spdef with a calm nature makes Tyranitar's Crunch a 3HKO with the rest in spdef so I like that spread more, Im not sure if your spread hits any relevant benchmarks but if it does feel free to throw this point away
  • Protect > HP Ghost on keldeo, keldeo is too frail in doubles to go without protect and HP Ghost is kinda useless since you have other checks to Aegislash/Mega Gengar
  • Also change Keldeo's item to either Life Orb or Focus Sash, Keldeo really appreciates the extra power boost from LO for Secret Swords, or Sash to catch your opponents off guard and compensate for low defences somewhat
  • Be aware that mega garchomp always has the ability Sand Force (not rough skin) and that if you don't run any Sand this ability is essentially unless you're running against enemy sand teams. If you want to switch something out for tyranitar I would suggest volcarona (at a glance) because Keldeo and tyranitar support each other amazingly, and volcarona really doesnt provide much late game sweeping (the primary role of most set up mons in doubles) if you lead with it, again totally up to you
I totally forgot to mention you in the MegaChomp thing! I love your videos, and didn't mean any disrespect cX. I knew I was missing something xD
Thank you so much for the advice! I'm going to try out that Cresselia spread, as it does seem more effective than the one I'm running. Protect and Life Orb both make much more sense on Keldeo, now that I think about it. I also think that the Rough Skin is only for his pre-mega form, and Sand Force is only obtainable upon Mega Evolution. I'm thinking about switching Volcarona to T-Tar, but I'm not sure how he would help my team out, aside from granting the Sand Force ability some use. I've also never had good luck with him >~<

*EDIT*

Actually, I might try out Tyranitar. Do you have a decent set for him?

Lol thanks man, don't worry i wasn't mad or anything :p im just glad someone likes the vids haha
Here are a couple of cool Tyranitar sets:

Standard 3 attacks defensive ttar from gen 5, use this if you want a ttar that can come in and out frequently during the battle to reset sand
Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Protect

Physical sweeper, outspeed jolly garchomp at +1 which is cool
Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 184 Spd / 252 Atk / 72 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Protect

Special TTar with LO, outspeeds Rotom-W, HP Evs minimize life orb recoil with remaining in physical defence. You need LO to get the ohko on ferrothorns.
Tyranitar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 32 HP / 204 Spd /20 Def
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
Awesome, thanks a ton. I'm thinking of trying out the Life Orb set. If that doesn't work out too good, I'll go with the Dragon Dance set ;3

Ok here's a rate
  • I don't find Helping Hand necessary on Hitmontop, especially considering you're already using Helping Hand Cresselia. Quick Guard seems like a good option, as you're team does not seem to enjoy taking Brave Birds from Talonflame. Feint can break Protect for a teammate which is helpful, which Sucker Punch can also allow you to hit Ghost-types.
  • Speaking of Talonflame, I feel that you're currently very, very weak to it, as the only thing that can really comfortably take it on is Cresselia. You also have a Mega Garchomp, yet no Sandstorm. As such, I'd consider running Dragon Dance Tyranitar instead of Calm Mind Keldeo. This way, you still have a nice win condition, but you are also able to take on Talonflame much better as well as set up Sandstorm for Mega Garchomp. Use the second set KyleCole suggested.
Anyways, if you make the Cress spread change like KyleCole suggested, you should be good :] Naming some threats you have trouble with would be helpful :]

Ok here's a rate
  • I don't find Helping Hand necessary on Hitmontop, especially considering you're already using Helping Hand Cresselia. Quick Guard seems like a good option, as you're team does not seem to enjoy taking Brave Birds from Talonflame. Feint can break Protect for a teammate which is helpful, which Sucker Punch can also allow you to hit Ghost-types.
  • Speaking of Talonflame, I feel that you're currently very, very weak to it, as the only thing that can really comfortably take it on is Cresselia. You also have a Mega Garchomp, yet no Sandstorm. As such, I'd consider running Dragon Dance Tyranitar instead of Calm Mind Keldeo. This way, you still have a nice win condition, but you are also able to take on Talonflame much better as well as set up Sandstorm for Mega Garchomp. Use the second set KyleCole suggested.
Anyways, if you make the Cress spread change like KyleCole suggested, you should be good :] Naming some threats you have trouble with would be helpful :]
Thanks for the rate! I've got a Tyranitar in there now instead of Volcarona, giving me a little bit more ease with Talonflame. I'll also try Quick Guard on Hitmontop, as I didn't know it blocked Gale Wings... If that doesn't work out too well, I'm going to try out Sucker Punch. Do you think I should replace Keldeo with my old Volcarona set instead?

Thanks for the rate! I've got a Tyranitar in there now instead of Volcarona, giving me a little bit more ease with Talonflame. I'll also try Quick Guard on Hitmontop, as I didn't know it blocked Gale Wings... If that doesn't work out too well, I'm going to try out Sucker Punch. Do you think I should replace Keldeo with my old Volcarona set instead?
Honestly, not really. I just didn't jump to replace Volc because I thought you were trying to build around TopMoth. Though, since you are replacing Volcarona, I'd use this mixed LO set KyleCole mentioned instead of the Dragon Dance one.

Honestly, not really. I just didn't jump to replace Volc because I thought you were trying to build around TopMoth. Though, since you are replacing Volcarona, I'd use this mixed LO set KyleCole mentioned instead of the Dragon Dance one.
Alright. That was my original plan actually, but Hitmontop ended up supporting like everything perfectly xD I'll try the Life Orb set on T-Tar again. Thanks!

Hey, YelloMello, and welcome to Smogon! I have to admit that you have a fairly solid Doubles team, even though you're only beginning to get into the Smogon Doubles metagame. I'm really liking the idea of utilizing the mixed Mega Garchomp set KyleCole provided; it's very unpredictable and can easily catch your opponent off guard. Your team has pretty good synergy overall, especially Garchomp + Cresselia and Keldeo + Volcarona; Garchomp can spam Earthquake without having to worry about Cresselia taking damage, while Keldeo covers Volcarona's Rock-type weakness and Volcarona covers Keldeo's Grass and Psychic-type weakness.

To start off, I recommend giving Hitmontop Feint over Helping Hand; people have already mentioned above that Cresselia already possesses Helping Hand so it isn't necessary on Hitmontop. Plus, Hitmontop will be able to break through Protect with Feint, enabling his partner to hit the opposing Pokemon. I also suggest providing him with an Adamant nature as opposed to an Impish nature in order to give him some extra offensive firepower. He doesn't really need the defensive boost with the Impish nature due to the fact he already lowers the Attack stat of physical attackers with his Intimidate ability.

Since you're mainly using Cresselia as a support Pokemon, I highly suggest giving her an EV spread of 252 HP / 100 Def / 44 SAtk / 112 SDef with a Sitrus Berry to provide her with some all-around bulk. The Max HP investment along with the 100 Defense EVs enable Cresselia to survive a Pin Missile from Heracross-Mega and to not get 2HKOed by Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge when factoring in Sitrus Berry recovery. Furthermore, the 112 Special Defense EVs invested allow Cresselia to not get 2HKOed from a Modest Mega Gengar after Sitrus Berry recovery. With that being said, you won't need Rest as the Sitrus Berry replaced the Chesto Berry. I would consider replacing Rest for Safeguard to protect you from annoying statuses that would cripple your Pokemon, notably a burn which would halve the Attack of Mega-Garchomp and Hitmontop, or a paralysis which would cause you to underspeed your opponent and potentially not even attack (25% of the time).

The only other change I would make to your team is to give Keldeo Protect over Hidden Power [Ghost] to enable to him to gradually recover HP with Leftovers without getting hit by incoming attacks. HP Ghost isn't necessary as it is very situational and Hydro Pump 2HKOs Mega Gengar, anyway. You also have the option of replacing Hidden Power [Ghost] for Quick Guard for protection against Talonflame's priority Brave Bird, priority moves (Mach Punch, Ice Shard), Fake Out, and pesky Prankster Thunder Waves or Swaggers.

Anyway, hope my advice helps you out! Good luck with your team. :D

Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Feint

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 44 SAtk / 112 SDef
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Safeguard

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Protect / Quick Guard

Hey, YelloMello, and welcome to Smogon! I have to admit that you have a fairly solid Doubles team, even though you're only beginning to get into the Smogon Doubles metagame. I'm really liking the idea of utilizing the mixed Mega Garchomp set KyleCole provided; it's very unpredictable and can easily catch your opponent off guard. Your team has pretty good synergy overall, especially Garchomp + Cresselia and Keldeo + Volcarona; Garchomp can spam Earthquake without having to worry about Cresselia taking damage, while Keldeo covers Volcarona's Rock-type weakness and Volcarona covers Keldeo's Grass and Psychic-type weakness.

To start off, I recommend giving Hitmontop Feint over Helping Hand; people have already mentioned above that Cresselia already possesses Helping Hand so it isn't necessary on Hitmontop. Plus, Hitmontop will be able to break through Protect with Feint, enabling his partner to hit the opposing Pokemon. I also suggest providing him with an Adamant nature as opposed to an Impish nature in order to give him some extra offensive firepower. He doesn't really need the defensive boost with the Impish nature due to the fact he already lowers the Attack stat of physical attackers with his Intimidate ability.

Since you're mainly using Cresselia as a support Pokemon, I highly suggest giving her an EV spread of 252 HP / 100 Def / 44 SAtk / 112 SDef with a Sitrus Berry to provide her with some all-around bulk. The Max HP investment along with the 100 Defense EVs enable Cresselia to survive a Pin Missile from Heracross-Mega and to not get 2HKOed by Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge when factoring in Sitrus Berry recovery. Furthermore, the 112 Special Defense EVs invested allow Cresselia to not get 2HKOed from a Modest Mega Gengar after Sitrus Berry recovery. With that being said, you won't need Rest as the Sitrus Berry replaced the Chesto Berry. I would consider replacing Rest for Safeguard to protect you from annoying statuses that would cripple your Pokemon, notably a burn which would halve the Attack of Mega-Garchomp and Hitmontop, or a paralysis which would cause you to underspeed your opponent and potentially not even attack (25% of the time).

The only other change I would make to your team is to give Keldeo Protect over Hidden Power [Ghost] to enable to him to gradually recover HP with Leftovers without getting hit by incoming attacks. HP Ghost isn't necessary as it is very situational and Hydro Pump 2HKOs Mega Gengar, anyway. You also have the option of replacing Hidden Power [Ghost] for Quick Guard for protection against Talonflame's priority Brave Bird, priority moves (Mach Punch, Ice Shard), Fake Out, and pesky Prankster Thunder Waves or Swaggers.

Anyway, hope my advice helps you out! Good luck with your team. :D

Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Feint

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 44 SAtk / 112 SDef
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Safeguard

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Protect / Quick Guard
Thank you so much! Your rate was really helpful, and I've used most of your information. The only thing I'm not sure about is Feint. It seems rather gimmicky, unlike Brick Break. Unless it has priority, I don't see the advantage over BB.

Also, now that Cresselia runs Safeguard, does Volcarona have a purpose running a Lum Berry? I feel like that could be changed, as Cresselia is now more of an in and out tank c:

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Your rate was really helpful, and I've used most of your information. The only thing I'm not sure about is Feint. It seems rather gimmicky, unlike Brick Break. Unless it has priority, I don't see the advantage over BB.
Brick Break doesn't break through Protect, only Feint does that. Brick Break breaks Dual Screens.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey YelloMello :)

After facing this team multiple times, I can say with experimental certainty that this team's weakness is offense. Looking at your lineup; this makes sense, too. Your team lacks both a considerable amount of bulk as well as a considerable amount of power / speed, thus leaving you quite easily swept or outmaneuvered. A lack of priority also makes this team extremely susceptible to all kinds of Speed control, including Icy Wind and Trick Room. The weak link in my opinion is your over reliance on setup. The team is very potent when given the chance to set up but when pushed against the wall by offensive pressure, it falls apart.

The best route to go from here, in my opinion, is to choose one setup sweeper to center around and replace the other one with a supporter. Thus, I offer the following suggestions:

Change Keldeo's set.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

CM Keldeo is a really unreliable sweeper, partly because of its faulty coverage. Your use of HP Ghost barely helps; MGengar is hit harder by Hydro Pump anyway. To not only provide you with a more ready-to-use offensive tool AND provide you with Quick Guard to protect yourself against priority & Talonflame, Life Orb Keldeo should be used instead. You don't have to waste a turn setting up, all the while giving your opponents the chance to target your other Pokemon or cripple you. In Doubles, everything is a lot more fast paced; as I said earlier, you simply can't forfeit turns setting up. That's alright, anyway; Life Orb Keldeo does the job well. You won't miss out.

Patch up Garchomp.

Changes:
Fire Blast --> Stone Edge
Dragon Claw --> Draco Meteor
Spread --> 252 Atk / 16 SpAtk / 240 Spe Hasty

Mega Garchomp is usually used for wallbreaking purposes. However, Fire Blast is not a particularly important coverage move, as Volcarona heaves all of that heavy lifting. Instead, you need Stone Edge to check Flying-types. My spread lets you outspeed Mega Charizard Y and X before Mega Evolving, so that you can KO them immediately with Stone Edge. Your current spread is weird; I don't know what the SpDef helps with (not Mamo Ice Shard, that's for sure), you survive Mamo Ice Shard regardless (not that Mamo is even common enough that you should care) and you're also unnecessarily slow and inefficiently Attack-oriented. You want to keep your mixed coverage, however, so Draco Meteor is what you should use over Dragon Claw. It nails Landorus-T and other Intimidaters as they switch in for a large amount of damage, crippling them for a KO the next time around. It's also initially very much more powerful than DClaw.

Give Cresselia Trick Room over Psychic.

Unconventional suggestion, but one that will help. Trick Room is a huge threat to this team; not a single Pokemon can avoid a 2HKO from Fairy+Fire type coverage bar Cresselia. The point isn't for you to use the condition; the point is for you to be able to reset it the moment it's put up. It'll also serve as a countermeasure against more offensive teams, as your Pokemon meet the middlemark when it comes to Speed. It and Icy Wind will help you control momentum.

That should cover everything. Good luck, and welcome to the community! I'll see you around :)

Last edited:
Hey YelloMello :)

After facing this team multiple times, I can say with experimental certainty that this team's weakness is offense. Looking at your lineup; this makes sense, too. Your team lacks both a considerable amount of bulk as well as a considerable amount of power / speed, thus leaving you quite easily swept or outmaneuvered. A lack of priority also makes this team extremely susceptible to all kinds of Speed control, including Icy Wind and Trick Room. The weak link in my opinion is your over reliance on setup. The team is very potent when given the chance to set up but when pushed against the wall by offensive pressure, it falls apart.

The best route to go from here, in my opinion, is to choose one setup sweeper to center around and replace the other one with a supporter. Thus, I offer the following suggestions:

Change Keldeo's set.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

CM Keldeo is a really unreliable sweeper, partly because of its faulty coverage. Your use of HP Ghost barely helps; MGengar is hit harder by Hydro Pump anyway. To not only provide you with a more ready-to-use offensive tool AND provide you with Quick Guard to protect yourself against priority & Talonflame, Life Orb Keldeo should be used instead. You don't have to waste a turn setting up, all the while giving your opponents the chance to target your other Pokemon or cripple you. In Doubles, everything is a lot more fast paced; as I said earlier, you simply can't forfeit turns setting up. That's alright, anyway; Life Orb Keldeo does the job well. You won't miss out.

Patch up Garchomp.

Changes:
Fire Blast --> Stone Edge
Dragon Claw --> Draco Meteor
Spread --> 252 Atk / 16 SpAtk / 240 Spe Hasty

Mega Garchomp is usually used for wallbreaking purposes. However, Fire Blast is not a particularly important coverage move, as Volcarona heaves all of that heavy lifting. Instead, you need Stone Edge to check Flying-types. My spread lets you outspeed Mega Charizard Y and X before Mega Evolving, so that you can KO them immediately with Stone Edge. Your current spread is weird; I don't know what the SpDef helps with (not Mamo Ice Shard, that's for sure), you survive Mamo Ice Shard regardless (not that Mamo is even common enough that you should care) and you're also unnecessarily slow and inefficiently Attack-oriented. You want to keep your mixed coverage, however, so Draco Meteor is what you should use over Dragon Claw. It nails Landorus-T and other Intimidaters as they switch in for a large amount of damage, crippling them for a KO the next time around. It's also initially very much more powerful than DClaw.

Give Cresselia Trick Room over Psychic.

Unconventional suggestion, but one that will help. Trick Room is a huge threat to this team; not a single Pokemon can avoid a 2HKO from Fairy+Fire type coverage bar Cresselia. The point isn't for you to use the condition; the point is for you to be able to reset it the moment it's put up. It'll also serve as a countermeasure against more offensive teams, as your Pokemon meet the middlemark when it comes to Speed. It and Icy Wind will help you control momentum.

That should cover everything. Good luck, and welcome to the community! I'll see you around :)
Thank you! I've switched up Keldeo and Garchomp, and now they're doing way better. Cresselia is also working out quite well, giving it a more supportive niche in my team ^o^

Yo, YelloMello, I forgot to mention a few things you should implement into your team. First of all, Cresselia should be utilizing Psyshock over Psychic; this allows her to deal a good amount of damage against Pokemon that have high Special Defense, notably Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and even Mega Charizard Y. There will be situations where Cresselia is face to face with a Pokemon possessing outstanding Special Defense, and although Psychic is a STAB move with a fairly strong 90 BP, the opponent will only take minimal damage. Psyshock, on the other hand, inflicts more damage than Psychic (despite being only 80 BP) against specially defensive Pokemon who normally have a low Defense stat. I've provided some offensive calculations down below comparing the power of Psychic and Psyshock against some common threats in the Smogon Doubles metagame.

Psychic Calculations:

Cresselia's Psychic vs Sylveon:

• 44 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 66-78 (16.7 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
Cresselia's Psychic vs Mega Gardevoir:
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 31-37 (11.1 - 13.3%) -- possible 8HKO
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 31-37 (9.1 - 10.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Cresselia's Psychic vs Mega Charizard Y:
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 72-85 (24.1 - 28.5%) -- 97.6% chance to 4HKO

Psyshock Calculations:

Cresselia's Psyshock vs Sylveon:

• 44 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 102-121 (25.8 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Cresselia's Psyshock vs Mega Gardevoir:
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 51-60 (18.3 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 51-60 (15 - 17.6%) -- possible 6HKO
Cresselia's Psyshock vs Mega Charizard Y:
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 88-105 (29.5 - 35.2%) -- 15.6% chance to 3HKO

As you can see, Psyshock deals much more damage against these three common Smogon Doubles threats as opposed to Psychic, making Psyshock the better choice on Cresselia. Not to mention you won't get completely walled by the occasional Goodra, Blissey, or Chansey thanks to Psyshock. I'd also like to note that if you decide to use Electrolyte's Keldeo set, Scald should be used over Hydro Pump; from personal experience, I've found Scald much more reliable than Hydro Pump due to the fact it has 100% accuracy and you have a 30% chance to burn and cripple your opponent. Hydro Pump has only 85% accuracy, and you can potentially lose the match if you end up missing the attack. STAB Scald will still be able to hit pretty hard thanks to Keldeo's high Special Attack stat and his Life Orb.

Just wanted to add a few more suggestions that could help you out. :]

Yo, YelloMello, I forgot to mention a few things you should implement into your team. First of all, Cresselia should be utilizing Psyshock over Psychic; this allows her to deal a good amount of damage against Pokemon that have high Special Defense, notably Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and even Mega Charizard Y. There will be situations where Cresselia is face to face with a Pokemon possessing outstanding Special Defense, and although Psychic is a STAB move with a fairly strong 90 BP, the opponent will only take minimal damage. Psyshock, on the other hand, inflicts more damage than Psychic (despite being only 80 BP) against specially defensive Pokemon who normally have a low Defense stat. I've provided some offensive calculations down below comparing the power of Psychic and Psyshock against some common threats in the Smogon Doubles metagame.

Psychic Calculations:

Cresselia's Psychic vs Sylveon:

• 44 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 66-78 (16.7 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
Cresselia's Psychic vs Mega Gardevoir:
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 31-37 (11.1 - 13.3%) -- possible 8HKO
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 31-37 (9.1 - 10.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Cresselia's Psychic vs Mega Charizard Y:
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 72-85 (24.1 - 28.5%) -- 97.6% chance to 4HKO

Psyshock Calculations:

Cresselia's Psyshock vs Sylveon:

• 44 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 102-121 (25.8 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Cresselia's Psyshock vs Mega Gardevoir:
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 51-60 (18.3 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 51-60 (15 - 17.6%) -- possible 6HKO
Cresselia's Psyshock vs Mega Charizard Y:
  • 44 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 88-105 (29.5 - 35.2%) -- 15.6% chance to 3HKO

As you can see, Psyshock deals much more damage against these three common Smogon Doubles threats as opposed to Psychic, making Psyshock the better choice on Cresselia. Not to mention you won't get completely walled by the occasional Goodra, Blissey, or Chansey thanks to Psyshock. I'd also like to note that if you decide to use Electrolyte's Keldeo set, Scald should be used over Hydro Pump; from personal experience, I've found Scald much more reliable than Hydro Pump due to the fact it has 100% accuracy and you have a 30% chance to burn and cripple your opponent. Hydro Pump has only 85% accuracy, and you can potentially lose the match if you end up missing the attack. STAB Scald will still be able to hit pretty hard thanks to Keldeo's high Special Attack stat and his Life Orb.

Just wanted to add a few more suggestions that could help you out. :]
Gotcha. I've switched Psyshock in, and it's working great. Scald's working out pretty well, although some walls are a little tougher to break through without hax xD

How do special defense ev's help garchomp survive a physical attack?
Shh....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)