My First Ever Rain Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Callanthe, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Callanthe

Callanthe

Hi guys! I'm super new to the B/W scene since the last time I played Pokemon was with my Platinum game in what seems like an eternity ago. However, my friend recently challenged me to several battles with his newly created sandstorm team, and I haven't found myself able to beat him. In return, I decided to create a Rain Dance team to try and fight fire with fire (or in this case, fight sandstorm with rain).

I don't quite know how to insert pokemon icons in my post yet, although I hope I'll eventually figure it out.

For my lead, I'm tentatively trying:
    Azelf
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Damp Rock
    Moveset: [Rain Dance, Stealth Rock, Taunt, Explosion] (also looking at other offensive moves like Psychic, etc.)
    EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 Spe
    I have no idea what good rain dance leads there are, although I've heard that stuff like Electrode, Zapdos, Jirachi, etc. are also viable. Azelf I'm mostly interested in for the Stealth Rock and Taunt, since I'm quite invested in setting up entry hazards before the enemy can (especially since my team in its current form does not have a rapid spinner). Explosion seems useful as well to try and take out a key enemy Pokemon. All in all, this Azelf seems like a one-time-use only sacrifice for a lead.

My first sweeper is:
    Kingdra
    Nature: Naughty
    Item: Life Orb, Ability: Swift Swim
    [Draco Meteor, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, Waterfall] Also considering Outrage and Surf
    EVs: 252 Atk, 240 SpA, 16 Spe
    Yes, unoriginal, I know, but I've always liked him :P Pretty basic mixed setup for Kingdra, with good type coverage for an early-game attempt at breaking the enemy walls. From what I've heard Kingdra is a necessity or something on Rain Dance teams in OU--it sounds like a dated exaggeration to me, but I'm not in the best place to know his current place in the metagame.

My second sweeper is:
    Ludicolo
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Modest, Ability: Swift Swim
    [Hydro Pump, Giga Drain, Ice Beam, Focus Blast] (Also considering substitute, Surf, Rain Dance, Grass Knot)
    Yay for Mr. Pineapple Happy Duck! Basically, I have more special attacks coming out of this guy, and similar type coverage to Kingdra with the addition of Focus Blast and STAB grass. He seems like he'd be a decent late-game sweeper to clean up after the rest of my team have done their stuff. I'm not sure whether Giga Drain or Grass Knot would be more useful to me--on one hand, Giga Drain's health regained would come in handy to counteract Life Orb. On the other hand, I don't know very well whether Grass Knot will hit anything else harder than Giga Drain.

My current second support Pokemon is:
    Bronzong
    Item: Damp Rock
    Nature: Impish, Ability: Levitate
    [Rain Dance, Explosion, Reflect, Toxic] (Gyro Ball, Light Screen, Earthquake)
    EVs: 252 HP, 128 Atk, 128 Def
    I am extremely unsure what to use as my second mid-game Rain Dancer and support Pokemon. Bronzong's steel type and defensiveness seems like it would come in handy as a tanky support capable of setting up barriers and toxic. I'm also uncertain whether a second Explosion would ever come in handy, since I already have an exploding Azelf up front. In short, Bronzong seems like a very tentative filler for me, since obviously one single sacrificial Rain Dance will not support my team adequately.

Now for my Counters/Revenge Killer pokemon:
    Scizor
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Choice Band, Ability: Technician
    [Superpower, Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Pursuit]
    252 Atk, 4SpD, 252 Spe
    As it is now, Scizor here is supposed to be my revenge killer against pokemon like Tyranitar, and rain protects his main weakness to some extent. Both he and Toxicroak seem like they would come in handy vs steel types like Ferrothorn and Heatran. In addition, I'm also considering a more support-type Scizor build with moves like Roost and Rain Dance--not sure how much of his offensive potential would be wasted that way though. Yay for Technician!

and last but not least
    Toxicroak
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Jolly, Skill: Dry Skin
    EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
    [Swords Dance, Drain Punch, Sucker Punch, Ice Punch]
    Standard physical sweeper Toxicroak, suck up that rain with his dry skin, etc. I mainly put him in so that he would be able to set up on my friend's Ferrothorn...not sure how well that will work in practice though. His fighting and dark dual coverage seems like it would come in handy, anyway, and it's a nice change from the regular water/ice combo.

This team is EXTREMELY tentative and subject to extensive change.
    Note: The main team I'm trying to counter (that of my friend) is a sandstorm team composed of Terrakion, Hippowdon, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, Starmie, and Heatran. (Terrakion is the wall-breaker type, Hippowdon is the annoying bulky type, Jirachi is the SUPER irritating thunder/iron head kind, Ferrothorn is the usual gyro-balling spike-setting lead, Starmie is expert belt special sweeper, and Heatran roars at everything.) However, I do want my team to be viable in general usage as well.

I'm quite worried about my type coverage... the redundancy of water and ice moves is quite prevalent in my team, while I lack even basic Rain abilities like Thunder and Hurricane. I'm not sure what Pokemon I could use to patch those gaps.

I am also considering replacing Azelf with a more effective lead (Electrode, Jirachi, Crobat, Zapdos, Bronzong) but I'm not sure what benefits I could get out of that.

As for the hordes of other Pokemon lining up to be part of my rain dance team:
    A swords dance physical sweeper Kabutops (Adamant, Life Orb, etc.)--brings rock-type coverage to the team and a specialized physical water offense
    A bulky support Rotom-W with Will-O-Wisp to counter enemy physical attackers and Volt Switch or Thunder or Hydro Pump or Shadow Ball, etc.
    A bulky support Gastrodon to tank enemy Thunders and other electric moves (Earth Power, Scald, Toxic, Recover, etc.)--not sure if he could function as my second Rain Dancer
    A bulky support Jellicent with moves such as Scald/Will-O-Wisp/Taunt--I do kind of want a taunt somewhere in my team just to prevent enemies from setting up.
    An electric-type sweeper that can make good use of Thunder--Jolteon, Zapdos, the like.
    Another fast and hard-hitting water sweeper like a physical Gyarados or a special Keldeo--not necessarily swift swim.
    And extra type coverage in the form of:
    Volcarona, for its Hurricane/Quiver Dance/fire STAB
    or
    Tornadus, for its Hurricane/Focus Blast, etc.

Sorry if this is super long, I'm just kind of overwhelmed with the huge variety of possibilities for my Rain Dance team.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)