My First OU Team

Introduction:

Greetings, everybody, and my name is Jajub123. I just recently got into competitive pokemon, and as you can tell, I'm also new to the forums. I would like to start of my first post by introducing my first team. I hope you'll enjoy this RMT and hopefully give me some good advice and feedback. Anyway, on with the team...

Team Building Process:

The first thing I wanted to do with this team is to set up a stable core. For this team I wanted to make a defensive, stall-ish kind of team. So, I thought of two pokemon that have some great defensive synergy together. I thought of Gliscor+Chansey/Blissey. I also considered Skarmory as a replacement for Gliscor, but Gliscor always seemed to be preforming better.

Now with my main core established, I started to think about entry hazards. My thinking process immediately went to Forretress, who could set up hazards, then Volt Switch out. Also, Forretress could Rapid Spin if needed. So then, on to the next pokemon...

The topic of Rapid-Spinners brought me to the next idea. I needed a spin blocker, so, I had a couple of options. I finally settled on Jellicent, as it had reliable recovery, decent STAB in the form of Scald/Surf/Shadow Ball, and it could burn opponents to cripple them.

The next thing I thought of was a revenge killer, and from seeing previous examples, I thought of two options: CB Terrakion with max speed or CS Keldeo. I decided on Keldeo, mostly because it could eliminate certain threats that are special-defensively weak, like Gliscor, Chandelure, etc.

Finally, I wanted I was stumped when it came to the final slot. I wanted to have a really annoying pokemon, so one idea that popped into my mind was Jirachi. Jirachi could abuse para-flinching, as well as counter many dragon types such as Dragonite with Ice Punch. Depending on the type of Dragonite, Jirachi will either OHKO with rocks or almost kill, for which my Keldeo could revenge kill.

I started to test the team, and I found that 3 pokemon were holding me back: Keldeo, Forretress, and, to a certain extent, Jirachi. Keldeo was just too offensive for a defensive team, Forretress' horrid SpD was getting it KO'd so many times, and Jirachi just felt out of place. I also noticed that my team was
extremely weak to Cloyster and other set-up-sweepers, as well as Gengar. So, to solve the Gengar problem, I replaced Forretress with Ferrothorn, because Ferro can take a hit from Gengar and retaliate with a Gyro Ball.

That didn't solve my Gengar problems all of the way, though. I couldn't really think of a hard counter for it. Anyway, I still needed a solution to set-up sweepers, so the idea of using Whimsicott dawned on me. Encore+Taunt shuts down any kind of set-up-sweeper immediately, and forces them to switch. With that, after a couple days of testing this team, I found that I won most of them (surprisingly). Now then, on to the actual team...(sorry for no pics)

The Team:

Chansey @ Eviolite, Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature (+Defense, -Atk)
EV's: 240 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD, 8 Spe
Moves:
Wish
Protect
Toxic
Seismic Toss

This set is very standard, but it gets its job done. The main point of Chansey is to wall special attackers, and it does this quite well. Chansey can also take physical hits quite well as well, but, as mentioned before, its main job is to be a special wall. I usually Toxic, Wish, then Protect of switch out. It's really self explanatory, so I don't really need to say more about it.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb, Ability: Poison Heal
Impish Nature (+Defense, - SpA)
EV's: 252 HP, 180 Def, 76 Spe
Moves:
Protect
Substitute
Toxic
Earthquake

Behold, one of the best Toxic stall-ers there is. Gliscor can virtually be indestructible if it is faster than its opponent, and the opponent doesn't have priority. If the target is poisoned, Gliscor can go for the sub, then use Protect, and so on. Poison Heal negates the damage taken for getting up a sub. Earthquake is for STAB, as well as dealing with Steel types who can absorb Toxic. Anyway, on to the next poke...

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers, Ability: Iron Barbs
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
EV's: 252 HP, 60 Def, 196 SpD (IV's: 0 Spe)
Moves:
Leech Seed
Spikes
Gyro Ball
Power Whip

The main reason why I have Ferrothorn is for Spikes and to help get rid of Gengar. That's it. You may be asking yourself, why doesn't it have rocks? Well, I did try having rocks on Ferro but it was so predictable. I found Jirachi to be a much more reliable poke to set up rocks anyway, due to the fact that the opponent is typically paralyzed. Also, the unpredictability of not having rocks is amazing. People think they can safely switch into something like Lilligant or Frosslass. Nope! Take a Gyro Ball, will you. This catches many people off guard, but the set otherwise is fairly standard.

Jellicent @ Leftovers, Ability: Water Absorb
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
EV's: 252 HP, 60 Def, 196 SpD
Moves:
Recover
Will-O-Wisp
Scald
Shadow Ball

Jellicent is my go-to guy for countering steel types, such as Metagross, who would normally punch holes through my team (if Gliscor was dead, but Jellicent is much more reliable due to WoW). It's basically a secondary a lot of things, as well as countering some major threats such as mixed Infernape. Jellicent is kind of the "glue that holds this team together.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers, Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
EV's: 252 HP, 48 Def, 128 SpD, 80 Spe
Moves:
Encore
Taunt
Leech Seed
U-Turn

Whimsicott is by far one of my favorite Pokemon, mostly because of how easily it shuts anything down that doesn't attack. Once set in safely on a non-attacking move, Whimsicott can Encore, then Taunt depending on the move. Whimsicott is a hard, hard counter to Cloyster, Encore-ing it into Shell Smash, where then another poke (usually Jellicent) can come in and OHKO due to all of the defense drops. All in all, Whimsicott is a stunning utility counter.

Jirachi @ Leftovers, Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nautre (+Spe, -SpA)
EV's: 252 HP, 60 Atk, 50 Def, 50 SpD, 96 Spe
Moves:
Ice Punch
Stealth Rocks
Body Slam
Iron Head

If you've ever battled a Jirachi or a Togekiss, I'm sure you know how annoying these two can get. Jirachit can very easily get up rocks, as well was being able to para-flich everything. Ice Punch is a great counter to things like Dragon Dance Dragonite (especially with rocks up) and Garchomp. Jirachi can usually Ice Punch for the KO. Body Slam is for paralyzing, and Iron Head is for flinching. It's a great late game-sweeper, if I ever need it to get rid of some threats that could oppose the rest of my team. Jirachi is a counter to a lot of weaknesses my team has, and allows the other Pokemon to do the best that they can.

Threats:
Gengar: I've mentioned this before, but Gengar is a major issue. Chansey can't do anything, so I'm forced to rely on Forretress and Jirachi to eliminate it. Otherwise, it could possibly sweep my team. Life Orb variations give me the most trouble.

Thundurus-T: Thundurus can cayse some issues, but Chansey can typically Toxic stall it, even if it has Focus Blast. But, if for some reason Thundurus gets hax or something, it could potentially sweep. Again, LO versions give me the most trouble.

Keldeo: This is slightly ironic as I used to use it, but CS Keldeo can possibly sweep, but Chansey and Jellicent wall it fairly well.

Conclusion:

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this RMT, and I hope you enjoyed it! Thank you everybody in advance for the feedback and advice. I hope I'll be posting another team soon! (again, sorry for no pics)

This is a good team. Not very original, but pretty good. I commend you for using Whimsicott. =) However, its set could use some tweaking. I have tried many different Whimsicott sets (including yours), and have found that this works best.

Whimsicott
Nature: Impish
Ability: Prankster
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 6 HP/ 252 def/ 252 spec def (for maximum leech seed recovery)
Substitute/ leech seed/ stun spore/ encore

Hope this helps, and good luck with your team! =)

I am very much not a fan of Whimsicott as I think that it doesn't actually do anything besides be a pest. Going with the theme of the defensive nature of your team, I'd recommend either a Sub+DD Dragonite (Sub, DD, Dragon Claw, Roost), which is capable of easily capitilizing on a mistake to set up for an unstoppable sweep, or an 'annoying pest' Dragonite (Sub, Thunder Wave, Roost, Dragon Tail), which abuses hazards that are up, spreads debilitating status, and acts as a very annoying pest in a manner much more effectively than Whimsicott, while also being able to take huge hits thanks to Multiscale.

However, Dragonite absolutely requires rapid spin support, and so I recommend swapping out Jellicent for Starmie/Tentacruel. Both of these mons are solid spinners and have quite solid synergy with Ferro.

Other than that I like it! Good luck :D

Thanks for the two suggestions, everybody.

@Tikidue: Thanks for the suggestions! I actually do like your set better. I don't really know why I had taunt on there (sub basically does the same thing, and more). Stun Spore really helps with getting hazards up (I was slightly having trouble with that before). Anayway, thanks for the good feedback!

@Tendrake In contrast to your opinion, I personally think Whimsicott is vital to this team. Otherwise it's destroyed by Cloyster if it gets up at least one Shell Smash,which can be an issue. Only Jirachi can take an attack IF it's at only 1 Shell Smash. I did try swapping the two (Dragonite and Whimsicott), and I found that Dragonite was preforming lower than I had expected. Anyway, I am considering swapping Tentacruel for Jellicent, it's just that the advantages Jellicent has is that it has WoW, and it functions as a spin blocker. Thanks for the feedback!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)