MY First OU Team

I've been lurking on Smogon for a couple of years now, not doing much. But now it's time to step into some real battles!

So, let's get right into it and you guys just do what you do!

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature | Clear Body
252 HP | 236 Attack | 20 Defense
Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Explosion
Stealth Rock

Background: Ok so I love Metagross, and he is the reason I wanted to make an OU Team. Normally I stick to UU where my favorite pokemon are, and the atmosphere seems less serious -though I could be wrong- but I finally decided to make an OU team. So, metagross is pretty much staying here no matter what. I'm not sure if i should opt for a defensive nature over Adamant, let me know what you think.

Moves: Double steel because meteor mash has proven to be a solid offensive move which occasionally lets me boost my attack which lets my much needed priority bullet punch finish things off. Normally, however, I just rock up and if it is convenient I explode. Althoguh I admit I am a little trigger happy with the explosion, and I do feel bad exploding one of my favorite pokemon repeatedly, the damage is just to massive to pass off. Of course. I can meteor mash things when need be, I mean it does do respectable damage.

Role: Anyway, his usefulness as a lead is pretty amazing. Stealth rocks go up all the time, period. He takes hits like a champ of course, and then he damage things and explodes on them if it seems necessary. If i switch him out early, he always comes back late game to get a clutch kill with bullet punch or explosion. I love this one.

EV spread: is for tankiness and to max exposion/bullet punch damage. No speed because most other metas carry earthquake so i GTFO of there before I even use a move. The rest goes into defense.

His extensive list of resistances is always nice. Plus, his weaknesses are covered quite well by vaporeon and latias, so it all works out.

Snorlax @ Chestro
Adamant nature | Thick Fat
168 HP | 120 Defense | 220 Special Defense
Earthquake
Body Slam
Rest
Curse

Background: Snorlax doesn't really do anything spectacular, so if you have any recommendations to improve the synergy of my team and replace Snorlax I would strongly consider them. But Anyway... I switched to curselax, and I see his potential, but I don't like him =/.

Moves: I really do love body slam, parahax ftw. Not as good as return maybe, but Snorlax will tear any paralyzed opponents asunder. Earthquake cause it's earthquake (coverage). I definitely miss Self Destruct. 375 BP after STAB is very nice. Anyway, rest for HP recovery and curse for setting up.

Role: He does the normal Curselax stuff, coming in on Fire/Ice Special attacks and proceeding to set up some curses and then attempt a sweep (recover if needed). I don't like this because Latias has a very similar role and does it much better IMO, especially with her reliable speed, recovery, and type coverage. Snorlax is quite overshadowed.

EV Spread: Standard, HP and SpD to set up on Special attackers while Def gives him survivability against physical attackers.

While I like the idea of a snorlax, I just don't like the application of one; he can go. His one weakness is kinda picked up by latias, not the best option but sometimes she can set up on whoever she switches into while taking a fighting attack for lax. That's about it, he's not a team player at all.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature | Water Absorb
188 HP | 252 Defense | 68 Special Attack
Hidden Power
Surf
Wish
Protect

Background: I needed a reliable damage sponge, and who better than Vaporeon? This thing is very resilient; Vappy is the bane of all ignorant newbs, they just can't bring it down for some reason. Somewhat experienced battlers, however, do better against this one. Anyway, I love Vappy's damage taking potential, so she won't be going anywhere.

Moves: I'm sure you've all seen this before, and know what it's used for. So yeah, there. And thanks to Snorlaxe's recommendation, I switched Ice Beam for HP Electric. For some reason, nobody seems to expect this and it works wonders against Gyrados and does quite well against other waters, especially Starmie, whom I hate.

Role: As my team currently stands, Vappy switches in to something it can wall at least moderately well and then passes a wish onto one of my offensive pokes. You may notice that I have a tanky/bulky oriented team (save infernape), except only one of them (latias) has a recovery move. Vappy passes wishes onto my tanks to refuel them and let them keep grinding stuff down, it works quite well.

EV Spread: Is this one of the common ones? Well, I don't know, but in any case it's pretty basic. Well rounded defenses and some speed to get the edge on wishes and attacks when facing strong, slower pokemon. It works out pretty well, doubt any changes would significantly help my team.

So yeah, this one is pretty important to my team, but is also just great by herself. Vaporeon is pretty amazing.

Latias @ Leftovers
Bold Nature | Levitate
208 HP | 200 Defense | 28 Speed | 72 Special Attack
Dragon Pulse
Calm Mind
Recover
Hidden Power

Background: So I needed another wall type who would hopefully compliment the rest of my team. Latias didn't fit too badly, and the ability to set up for a potential sweep is never a bad thing. While before I looked down on those who used this half-legendary pokemon in OU, since it's so accepted I decided to give her a try and was pleasantly surprised.

Moves: First, yes I know Calm Mind is psychic, but I got these images (and format) from Frozenvirus's thread (hope he doesn't mind) and I couldn't find the psychic one there haha. Anyway, this isn't a specs so Draco Meteor probably wouldn't do, though it's possible that a +1-2 Draco Meteor would be worth the set up, it wouldn't really make much sense to do toss offensive gains that you go out of your way to obtain. Anyway, calm mind and recover for longevity, Dragon Pulse as primary STAB attack, and fire for anything that resists Dragon (especially you Scizor). This moveset works pretty well.

Role: I switch this one in on a lot of stuff and blast some chunks out of poke's HPs, though latias rarely kills stuff. While getting 2+ calm minds in can set up for taking down quite a few pokes, that generally doesn't happen. Anyway, Latias is a excellent sponge and does good damage as well.

EV Spread: I pulled this one out of the dark crevice in between my butt cheeks. I read something about Latias needing 28 speed EVs, so I did that. 208 HP for maximum leftover recovery +1 (though I am looking for an item to replace leftovers...). 200 defense + bold to increase physical tankiness while clam mind increases special tankiness. So yeah, there are probably better options, but since it's Latias, mostly anything will work haha.

Anyway, she's a big help to the team. Shes hard to take down and has some nice resistances on top of being able to chip away at other pokemon's hps to set up for some Infernrape.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Brave Nature | Sandstream
148 Hit Points | 220 Attack | 140 Special Attack
Pursuit
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

Background: What is he doing here? Well, to be honest I hate hail teams, so they can fck off. Also, I needed a trapper and didn't want to run pursuit on Metagross (no room).

Moves: Pursuit for trapping and killing ghosts and what not. Earthquake because it's a staple. Ice beam really has it's uses, killing dragons and flying types and what not. I miss stone edge and often find myself regretting having put in TBolt. I think i'll try flamethrower and see if that goes better. I like the idea of a mixTar and even this moveset rips stuff up.

Role: Stopping non-sandstorm weather based teams. Of course, he also traps and also kills a whole bunch of stuff with his crazy power. He's another one of the tank-esque pokemon on my team, and his mixed attacks can tear a wide variety of things apart. He's supposed to cover mostly everything, and with his expert belt he does that pretty well.

EV Spread: Not much goin on here, needed HP, Attack, and Sp Attack, so I got them in appropriate amounts. Really no need for speed, he's not a sweeper so he'll be outrun by most other ttars anyway. Improvements? [Edit!: I may actually need to add speed. When i read someone's TTar on a RMT thread he had a minus speed nature with speed EVs, I thought that was ridiculous. His reason was blissey. I thought that was ridiculous too. BUT!!! Blissey comes in on my TTar WAYYYYY more often than I had anticipated, and the added speed would be very nice against the mushy blob]

At first I hated the idea of having a anti-synergy ability like sandstream on my team... but I fell in love with this guy. He's now a favorite of mine, despite my probable noobish set up haha.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive Nature | Blaze
Attack | 192 Speed | 252 Sp Attack
Hidden Power
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Close Combat

Background: When I was first inspired to make an OU team, I knew I wanted Infernape and Metagross. So, this team has a Meta lead and a Mixnape clean up. Honestly, what doesn't this thing just destroy? I love throwing this one out and wrecking the other team late in the game.

Moves: Stratadex, simple. It works well. Flamethrower over Fire Blast for accuracy.

Role: 0HKO's everything. Well, not really. But Infernape really does pack a punch (haha) and should not be taken lightly. I usually bring this one out after something of mine dies (the best is when I save Metagross for later in the game and explode it, hopefully destroying a wall,only to bring out Infernape right behind it). Anyway, Infernape handles it's business.

EV Spread: Stratadex as well, though I feel that sacrificing some Sp Attack for speed may be worthwhile... though I'm sure they know what they are talking about.

Love this one too. Keeper.

+(LO) STARMIE: This 10-legged star weirdo just wrecks my team. Meta and Lax don't have any significant offensive options against starmie other than exploding, which isn't the most reliable thing. Vaporeon gets t-bolted, Latias gets ice beamed, and TTar and Ape get surfed. While Vaporeon and Latias don't take game breaking damage, I often find myself either paralyzed or frozen because of a spamfest/hp-recovery battle between my sponge and a starmie, which leads to my ultimate death. I wish ape could outspeed starmie haha. [EDIT: Thanks to Snorlaxe's HP Elect suggestion, Vaporeon does work against Starmie >=D]

+(from Lucalibur): "your team is a little mixvire weak,t-bolt finish vaporeon fun,cross chop finish off t-tar,latias can only take ice punchs to a extend and snorlax die by cross chop,but infernape somehow cover him since close combat ohko and since vire cant recover,latias dragon pulse will damage him while he atacks,its nothing really DANGEROUS but you should watch out when infernape dies,because mixvire can ruin your fun(also gross die by his fire move)" This is pretty true, a Mixvire walked all over my team once.

+U-Turn, any pokemon with this move tends to be a problem (infernape, Scizor, Etc.). It hurts my darks and psychics more than i would like it to.

(also, note that I play on NetBattle [unfortunately] cause there is something wrong with my java and I can't open shoddy)

A good team, although I suggest changing some held items here..

1st, Occa Berry on Metagross, Azelf pretty much owns your Metagross, Still you can 2HKO with Bullet Punch so, Leftovers is still a choice. Next, you can try CurseLax(Monster, believe me), you can also remove Fire punch as you can hit Scizor with a super-effective attack(EQ). And finally, HP[fire] > Surf, better coverage dude..

If you think that Scizor threatens you, use Rotom-H(subCharge). You can bluff Overheat and scare Scizor away and get a Substitute then boost your high Special Attack stat and Sweep. Blissey comes in to this set, thinking it could wall you? No. You can boost all the time against Blissey, and 2HKO with HP[Fighting] after about, 4 or 5 boosts I think, but the point is, you can defeat Blissey(even the Bulkiest one)..Overall good team!! Good Luck.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
I think you should run U-turn over HP Ice on Infernape. With this change, you'll be able to hit incoming Starmie and Latias, two of Infernape's biggest counters. You'll also be able to scout more effectively, to see what they have in store for Infernape. I don't really have the time to say anything, nor do I feel like it. Anyway, good luck!

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I think you should run U-turn over HP Ice on Infernape. With this change, you'll be able to hit incoming Starmie and Latias, two of Infernape's biggest counters. You'll also be able to scout more effectively, to see what they have in store for Infernape. I don't really have the time to say anything, nor do I feel like it. Anyway, good luck!
Personally, I don't recommend running U-turn on his Infernape. Why? Because of Life Orb. His Infernape is designed to hit fast and hard, then die. If he continuously uses U-turn, all his Life Orb recoil damage will go into scouting your opponent's team and before you know it, he will have no health left to kill off opposing threats and/or clean up. Yes, he was Wish support. But, in order to bring in a possibly weak Infernape, WITHOUT dying commands a great deal of prediction. Infernape is already frail as it is. Combine that with Life Orb recoil and taking additional damage, its just not possible.

U-turn is best reserved for either the Choice Band or Choice Scarf sets.

Also, from my experiences, I find Earthquake proves to be more effective on LeadGross than Meteor Mash. You can hit many leads hard. Infernapes, Heatrans, and Jirachis to name a few. Replace Leftovers with Occa Berry if you make the change to Earthquake, though.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool team, but here are a few suggestions I'd like you to consider; first off, I think that you should use Occa Berry over Leftovers as the item on Metagross. Occa Berry is generally a superior choice to Leftovers on LeadGross, as it allows you to beat lead Heatran and lead Infernape, as well as just providing extra insurance against fire attacks from common Metagross switchins. I also suggest using Earthquake over Meteor Mash on Metagross, as Earthquake is generally the superior option (on lead Metagross), due to it allowing you to hit other leadGross and lead Heatran, as well as simply providing better neutral coverage.

Now, I think you should try out a Curse variant of Snorlax. Snorlax is capable of using Curse to set up on many of the metagame's most threatening special attackers such as Latias and Heatran, then sweeping teams. He is also a great Pokemon to use against a stall team, a playstyle that could currently give you a little bit of trouble. I think you should use an EV spread of 168 Hp / 120 Def / 220 SpD, a Careful nature, and a set of Curse, Rest, Body Slam, and Earthquake (item Chesto Berry). Simply switch in on any special attacker and Curse up, then Rest when on low health; Chesto Berry allows Snorlax to immeadately wake up after Resting, allowing him to safely restore HP without turning him into a stitting duck. The EVs allow Snorlax to sit with at least 60% of his health left after a MixMence Draco Meteor, something that not many Pokemon can claim to be able to achieve.

I seem to see you having a bit of a problem handling Dragon Dance Gyarados; he can easily set up on Vaporeon and Infernape, and after 2 Dragon Dances, proceeds to OHKO every member on your team, who can do little to him in return. An easy but effective way to fix this problem is to use Hidden Power Electric in place of Ice Beam on Vaporeon. Vaporeon is one of the best Gyarados checks in the game with Hidden Power Electric, taking little damage from all of its attacks and hitting back extremely hard. I suggest taking the 68 EVs out of Speed and putting them into Special Attack, as this allows you to OHKO standard Gyarados 100% of the time when factoring in Stealth Rock damage.

Yeah I'm really not too sold on your TTar set, but that's probably because I have never used it myself. Aside from that, there's not much else I have for you. Hope I helped, and good luck! =)

I think you shouldn't run curse-lax because if you do Bronzong walls the hell out of it. EQ doesn't affect it, Because of levitate. Body slam is going to be doing next to nothing to a screening bronzong, while para-hax dont affect much. SelfDestruct isn't going to OHKO after Reflect is up. So keep fire punch. It can give you a burn chance and a super effective way to hit brongzong.

Put the 8 speed evs into defense because like you said most meta's carry EQ and you predict that so you switch anyway.

On T-Tar, you could switch stone edge to flamethrower/fire blast or T-Bolt, considering ice beam and stone edge almost have the same coverage, but ice beam lets you OHKO salamences, without intimidate holding you back. Flamthrower lets youi get some damage on Levtitate brongzong and T-Bolt hurts bulky waters. Also if you switch flamethrower/fire blast or T-Bolt for stone edge, you should have 220 Attack and 140 SpeA. A little more SpeA goes a long way :toast:.

All in all a well rounded OU team. Very nice!

thank you all so much =D

Now, my responses!

I don't think i'll be using Rotom as I just don't like him. If this reason isn't good enough, I play on netbattle where (i'm pretty sure anyway) there are no different rotom forms. But if shoddy ever decides to work (or if i ever make a real WiFi team, which hopefully one day i will) I'll consider Rotom.

As for Meta, I have Lum berry on him not leftovers, that was just a mistake on my part haha. I hate a lead with a status issue, so lum is my choice. I'll test out EQ a bit to see which i like more. If I do decide to keep EQ, i'll keep my EV spread. If I keep meteor mash, I'll switch those speed EVs.

Curselax didn't seem like a good choice to me, but after all these positive reviews for it I might have to try him. I'll play around with the different recommendations for snorlax. How well does Curselax do against Starmie? Because if he could set up 2 or so curses on starmie that would just be fantastic and would solve all of my worries haha.

Some conflicting views on Vaporeon, I'll try HP Electric>Ice Beam, I'm just a bit nervous about that since i like to have a few decent ice attacks on my team for the damn Salamences; maybe infernape and TTar will be enough. I'm not sure about HP Fire, that doesn't make all that much sense to me, but i'll keep playing and see if it becomes apparent that it would help.

I'll try flamethrower instead of Stone Edge on TTar, make the EV changes, and see how that goes.

If I do replace the Ice Beam on Vaporeon for HP Electric, I will definitely not be changing the HP Ice on Infernape, and his other moves are all pretty much required. So I don't think U-Turn flows too well with my team, but thanks for the recommendation.

And once again, thanks to everyone for your support and advice!

And really can someone suggest a replacement for snorlax? I mean if curselax solves my problems then I'm pretty much set. I'm actually considering a choice band/scarf Gallade with 252 attack/speed. Depending on if i use scarf or band, I can uses moves such as shadow sneak, night slash, elemental punches, close combat, and destiny bond (shadow sneak and Gallade's high SpecD for fast psychics like starmie, azelf, and alakazam, t-punch for gyarados, ice punch for dragons, close combat for steels/rocks/darks like ttar, and destiny bond because it may not be expected and would be amazing on a scarfed pokemon).Anyway, thats just a thought seeing as Gallade is UU haha.

just some minor things i saw,first you dont want snorlax with speed evs,put somewhere else like special defense or defense...second your team is a little mixvire weak,t-bolt finish vaporeon fun,cross chop finish off t-tar,latias can only take ice punchs to a extend and snorlax die by cross chop,but infernape somehow cover him since close combat ohko and since vire cant recover,latias dragon pulse will damage him while he atacks,its nothing really DANGEROUS but you should watch out when infernape dies,because mixvire can ruin your fun(also gross die by his fire move)

Bump!! I made some changes, also I would like some input on my choice Gallade idea haha. Seems kinda like a novelty, but here it is:

"And really can someone suggest a replacement for snorlax? I mean if curselax solves my problems then I'm pretty much set. (it didn't really) I'm actually considering a choice band/scarf Gallade with 252 attack/speed. Depending on if i use scarf or band, I can uses moves such as shadow sneak, night slash, elemental punches, close combat, and destiny bond (shadow sneak and Gallade's high SpecD for fast psychics like starmie, azelf, and alakazam, t-punch for gyarados, ice punch for dragons, close combat for steels/rocks/darks like ttar, and destiny bond because it may not be expected and would be amazing on a scarfed pokemon).Anyway, thats just a thought seeing as Gallade is UU haha."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)