My First PLAIN OU Team

Well this is my first OU Team that isn't themed. Let's see what you guys think. Changes will be made in bold, or crossed out, or something like that. But you'll notice it, trust me.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Guts
Adamant
120 HP, 252 Atk, 136 SpD
Bulk Up, Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Stone Edge Ice Punch

Bulk Up Conkeldurr, is can sweep like crazy if it isn't interrupted. I've battled one of these once, in my first days of PO, and I made a deadly mistake, i let it bulk up, because I was doing the same thing myself. It swept my whole team, didn't even switch out. I plan to do, or at least TRY, to accomplish something like that with this here behemoth.

Volcarona @ Focus Sash Life Orb
Flame Body
Timid
4 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Giga Drain, Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance

If Volcarona gets a few Quiver Dances in, it can also sweep like crazy. I've used a few teams with Volcarona, and it always finds a way to fit in. It's a very adaptable moth, and people should not underestimate. I like it as a sweeper, and when i don't, i can almost stall with Flame Body and Substitute, and Sub is also used for getting Quiver Dances. It's a beast, err, a moth-beast.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Skill Link
Jolly
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Shell Smash, Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, Razor Shell

If Cloyster gets a Shell Smash, it SWEEPS. If it gets fainted before then, well... screw it. Hehe, it can take a hit from a physical attack, but if it gets a Hydro Pump from a rain team, it's fainted for sure, and I know because I've done that dozens of time's to my friend Silver_Anarchy_17's Cloyster, XD. Let's just hope it won't happen to mine. SO far, my team is full of sweepers, lol.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Volt Absorb
Timid
252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Signal Beam, HP Ice

Jolteon sweeps with a different style, adapting to attacking with common types. It's 130 base speed is phenomenal, not much can pass it when I'm battling unless it's scarf'd, which I'd hate. Again, another sweeper that I'd like to have late game, to clean up the mess I've made with the others above. Big things come in small packages, you know.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe
Roar, Protect, Scald, Wish

I think it can do a good job. I mean, it has 130 base HP, that's a good enough reason to put it on your team as a wall without anything else. It also has a new toy, Scald. I was gonna do Toxic instead of Roar and be able to stall, but it interferes with Scald's burning, so i dont know what to do about that.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Moxie
Adamant Naughty
4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Spe
Dragon Claw, Outrage, Earthquake, Fire Blast

It usually gets the chance to sweep with Outrage, and when it does, it kills the opponent. Not faints, KILLS. Muahaha, XD, i love doing that. Another sweeper. Maybe i should put in a wall...

Please rate, comment, suggest, anything to make it better.​

Your team lacks direction. You have no clear goals with the team and that's where it falls apart. You have 3 Stealth Rock weak Pokemon, and all but one are hit by Spikes, yet you have no spinner. You have way too many set up sweepers, and that slows your team way too much. Salamence does a fine job revenge killing things so that's okay, but then you have two seemingly random Pokemon in Jolteon and Vaporeon that doesn't do much.

It's recommended to get rid of one of your set up sweepers for a utility mon that has Rapid Spin and hazards, like Donphan or Forretress. As a starting point.

And you're using Adamant nature on Salamence when you have Fire Blast why? Use Naughty nature on it so that it doesn't have a weakened Fire Blast.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not an OU player, but I can safely tell you that Focus Sash on Volcarona is pretty pointless with Stealth Rocks on every single competitve team. Since I see absolutely no way to prevent them, Focus Sash is basically worthless unless you lead with Volcarona. Life Orb or Leftovers are both infinitely superior items on it for that reason alone. Also, you descriptions are rather lacking. Mupa97 is right, you don't seem to have a clear goal with your team. Just by explaining what the purpose of each team member and the reasoning behind the Poke's addition to your team would be helpful for OU raters. Oh, and welcome to Smogon!

H there an interasting offense team you have got going on there i do have a few suggestions for you.

Firstly regarding your Conkeldurr set I really dont see why there is any need not to go with Ice Punch>Stone Edge Because Ice Punch hits all those dragons harder and the only real thing Stone Edge is better for is for Gyarados who isnt much of a threat to your team.

Also on your Volcarona I noticed you are running Focus Sash there is absolutely no need for Focus Sash on Volcarona and he is much better of holding Life Orb>Focus Sash with a Life Orb Volcaronas attacking power is increased with the expense of a little bit of reciol this is not a problem at all when you factor in that Giga Drain will be healing a great deal of Hp back. Focus Sash is honestly terrible on Volcarona because it ussually lives more then one hit anyway.

Also your team has two current Focus Sash users and 3 pokemon with a Stealth Rock weakness Volcarona in fact losing half of its health while switching in. Your team also posses no way of using hazards itself so I suggest changing Forretress>Vaporeon Forretress is still a great wall for you team and provides the necassary hazard and rapid spin support for your team.

And finally i agree with Mupa97s suggestion of Naughty>Adamant on Salamence because you are running Fire Blast that will lose ou on its maximum potential to destroy steels.

Good luck with the team I hope i helped!

Sets

Forretress @ Leftovers | Sturdy
Relaxed| 252 Hp / 176 Def / 80 Sp Def
Stealth Rock | Spikes | Rapid Spin| Gyro Ball

tl:dr
Forretress--->Vaporeon

Salamence
.Naughty--->Adamant

Conkeldurr
.Ice Punch--->Stone Edge

Volcarona
.Life Orb--->Focus Sash

~Superpowerdude

Using Focus Sash on two of your Pokemon while you lack a spinner is kind of pointless. I also aree with the others on what they have said. First off, run a Forretress over Jolteon, as Jolteon seems pretty random, as stated.

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Special Defense | 0 Speed IVs
Relaxed Nature
Moves:
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Forretress helps remove the Stealth Rock weakness 3 of your Pokemon carry, while also allowing you to set up hazards of your own. Forretress also helps against your Dragon-type weakness able to tank Outrages and hit back with Gyro Ball. Another thing I noticed is your Volcarona's moveset. Giga Drain is basically pointless. Replace it with HP Ground to be able to hit Dragonite, Salamence, and Gyarados, common checks and counters to Volcarona. Also, try out a Lum Berry over your current Focus Sash to remove any status ailments aimed at Volcarona. I also agree on using Naughty over Adamant just for the fact that you are using Fire Blast and Adamant will lower it's power. One final suggestion I have is trying out Payback over Stone Edge on Conkeldurr. Payback allows you to hit Jellicent and the Lati twins more effectively. If you do decide to use Payback, use a Brave Nature instead and 0 Speed IVs to use Payback at it's maximum power. Hope I helped.

thanks for rating everybody, and sorry about the description errors, it's just it was copised from my same team on a different forums, but i updated the changes i made from using the team. and also, i was gonna keep vaporeon and replace volcarona for foretress, because volcraona does the least for my team. but if you guys think i really shouldn't do that, say so now please

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Definitely keep volcorona if you're planning on bringing in forretress. Being able to spin away stealth rocks and set up spikes/ rocks of your own will make volcorona infinitely more effective.

I would put ferrothorn in for cloyster since vaporeon's wish support is really valuable to your team and cloyster is just one of many set up sweepers on your team.

Lastly, I would choice specs jolteon to give it more power without the LO damage. Jolteon should be in and out for the most part anyways so being choiced isn't really a problem at all.

Definitely keep volcorona if you're planning on bringing in forretress. Being able to spin away stealth rocks and set up spikes/ rocks of your own will make volcorona infinitely more effective.

I would put ferrothorn in for cloyster since vaporeon's wish support is really valuable to your team and cloyster is just one of many set up sweepers on your team.

Lastly, I would choice specs jolteon to give it more power without the LO damage. Jolteon should be in and out for the most part anyways so being choiced isn't really a problem at all.
i totally agree except for one thing. i'm not taking out cloyster, because it's 6-0ed entire teams for me

Hey skarm, some quick suggestions are

On cloyster white herb > focus sash because closyter needs its defensive bulk to be able to take priority such as mach punch and bullet punch

and Hydro pump > Razor shell because it has more power and helps run through defensive walls namely skarmory

Other than that nice team :P

Hey skarm, some quick suggestions are

On cloyster white herb > focus sash because closyter needs its defensive bulk to be able to take priority such as mach punch and bullet punch

and Hydro pump > Razor shell because it has more power and helps run through defensive walls namely skarmory

Other than that nice team :P
Focus sash is Better because it can survive a hydro pump at 1% now, and with a shell smash, I can't run exact calculations but razor shell would do better because of attack boost and it could get a crit AND it has better acuracy. And hi white

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)