My First Rain Team

So I see all these people using rain teams and I thought I would make one too. Although I did not use the traditional Politoed lead since it is banned to have Drizzle and Swift Swim so here we go.

Azelf
@Damp Rock
Nature: Jolly (+Speed -Attack)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Rain Dance
-U-Turn
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock

Azelf is an awesome lead with its incredible speed allows to out speed leads such as Forretress. Although Espeon can be a pain not allowing for me to use Stealth Rock and/or Taunt. U-Turn can put a large dent in it though, but I'm not a fan of U-Turn, it can allow me to switch into a sweeper but I'd rather not get damage on my sweepers. It also can get me a second Rain Dance in when/if the first one ends.

Kingdra
@Life Orb
Nature: Modest (+SpAttack -Attack)
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 88 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 168 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Rain Dance

Swift Swim allows Kingdra to out speed almost anything and with its large STAB Surf, plus Rain (also much for reliable that Hydro Pump), it can be destructive even to a grass type pokemon such as Venasaur. Dragon Pulse gives a steady coverage move over Dragonite and Latios/Latias and Draco Meteor for a big bang on Roserade.

Sharpedo
@Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Protect

Sharpedo is a beast, even without Swift Swim it can use Protect ONCE it can over speed every OU Pokemon (according to Smogon). With rain Waterfall can OHKO Tyranitar, Infernape, Gliscor and many others. Crunch being a swell STAB for Espeon, Alakasam, and Latios. Earthquake covers that large resistance to Steel Types which can be a large pain for this team. I had Ludicolo before Sharpedo but was unable to get Drain Punch on him, so Sharpedo is a very strong and fast replacement.

Tornadus
@Life Orb
Nature: Timid (+Speed -Attack)
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
-Hurricane
-Focus Blast
-Rain Dance
-Taunt

Tornadus is a powerhouse! Rain Dance is just another way to set up rain incase Kingdra faints. Hurricane is extremely crazy in the rain, more accuracy, more power, and then the chance to confuse the opponent. Which can help with Steel Types, along with Focus Blast. More coverage for Steel types and Tyranitar as well. Taunt is for the annoying Ferrothorn (which is my least favorite competitive pokemon).

Parasect
@Leftovers
Nature: Careful (+SpDefense -SpAttack
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Hp / 172 Def / 84 SpDef
-Spore
-Leech Seed
-Aromatherapy
-X-Scizzor

This mushroom thing is one of my favorite competitive pokemon ever! Spore always puts pokemon to sleep thanks to that 100 accuracy. Leech Seed allows Parasect to receive even more health besides Leftovers and Dry Skin (which allows it to be resistant to water) plus allows it to switch into other pokemon for some health while the foe is asleep. Blissey allows for some extreme recovery. Lastly Aromatherapy for those who have been paralyzed by Ferrothorn's Thunder Wave or poisoned by Umbreon .

Porygon2
@Eviolite
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpAtk
-Tri Attack
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

This thing is tough to knock out, and even when its health gets low RECOVER. And with rain going in Thunder gets full accuracy even doing lots of damage to Metagross. Tri Attack gets STAB then a chance to burn, freeze, or paralyze. It can get another freeze from Ice Beam and another paralysis from Thunder. This thing is packed with defenses and deserves the rightful named of 'Duck Tank'

Hiya! OMG a Parasect, I must rate this.

Pokemon and Moveset Changes

Well, your team looks very weak to sun teams. If they get sun up, you are swept by venusaur, volcarona, sawsbuck, victreebel, and most other popular sun sweepers. Sharpedo really isn't doing much for this team, so I would suggest replacing it with dragon dance dragonite. Dragonite can easily beat all of the threats listed above with dragon moves or fire punch, which is still good under rain due to the fact it still hits scizor and forretress hard. The rain abuse set would not be favorable as dragonite was put in to give you an answer to a variety of pokemon found on sun teams.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 212 Speed, 44 Atk | Adamant | Multiscale
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Aqua Tail / Superpower
- Fire Punch / Earthquake

This is the bulky dragon dance dragonite. Dragon Claw is good STAB and doesn't lock you in like outrage. Aqua Tail is preferred for the fact that it is actually stronger than dragon claw while in the rain and it also hits heatran without lowering dragonite's defenses. Superpower can be used if you want more coverage. Fire Punch, while weakened in water, is preferred because it can hit Scizor, Forretress, and Ferrothorn harder than anything in Dragonite's movepool as well as gaining a sun boost against the common sun teams. Earthquake can be used if you want coverage on different steel types or don't like the fact that fire punch is weakened while you are in the rain.

Kingdra and dragonite make a nifty one-two punch as kingdra can punch holes in the opponent's team with the fastest draco meteor in the game when rain is up. Dragonite can then come in and sweep the opponent's weakened team.

Also, parasect is a bit out of place. You can't provide constant rain support because you have no politoed, and he can't wall much except for fighting and grass types. He also is a cause for your weakness to scarf terrakion when rain isn't up. You also have no steel type pokemon to resist powerful dragon type moves. I would suggest replacing sharpedo with skarmory.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Speed | Sturdy | Impish
- Brave Bird / Drill Peck
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

This is a basic skarmory set. It walls many dragons and can phase out pokemon who try to use it as set-up bait. Brave bird is the preferred STAB option, but drill peck can be used if you don't want to break sturdy. Stealth Rock is great for residual damage and can greatly benefit your team. Spikes can be used, but it takes three turns and only hits grounded pokemon. Roost is for steady recovery to keep walling. Whirlwind phases out deadly sweepers.

I would also suggest changing tornadus's taunt to grass knot or hidden power ice. Taunt doesn't exactly help tornadus do much. Grass knot hits gastrodon and quagsire, two things that stop this team from being awesome. Gastrodon absorbs many of your spam moves as well as using stockpile and toxic and being a general nuisance. Quagsire trololololols dragonite with unaware. Grass knot beats both of those threats as well as hitting other heavy rock and ground pokemon. Hidden Power Ice hits other genies as well as dragons super effectively.

Nitpicks

I would definitely consider changing kingdra's ev spread to 228 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 28 HP. This allows it to outspeed timid choice scarf latios, a prominent revenge killer, by 1 point.

Hope this helps!!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

it's nice that Rain Dance is still being used, this is a unique team. However, like a lot of Rain teams, this one has trouble breaking past Ferrothorn. It just sits there and downright walls everyone with Leech Seed and Protect. Tornadus can come in and blast it away with Focus Blast, but it can't really come in on a T-Wave. Scizor is also a threat to your team- it can easily Pursuit trap Azelf because it's only attack is U-Turn, and it can also OHKO the frail Sharpedo with Bullet Punch. To help with your problem of Steel types, I suggest you switch Parasect with Magnezone.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid nature
~Substitute
~Charge Beam
~Thunder
~Hidden Power Fire

Magnezone can trap choice locked Scizor and Ferrothorn, substitute, and proceed to set up on them. Because it is already quite slow, it doesn't fear Ferrothorn's T-Wave, and with Charge Beam, raising it's stats to insane levels, firing off Thunders in the Rain will deal heavy damage to your opponent.

Another problem that comes up when you choose Magnezone is the problem of opposing Rain- there is not one electric resist, leaving your team weak to both Rain and VoltTurn strategies. You also lack revenge killers; Kingdra could function but it requires Rain, and Sharpedo must Protect first because it is so frail. To help with this, I suggest you use Technician Breloom instead of Sharpedo.

Breloom @ Life Orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Trait: Technician
~Spore
~Mach Punch
~Bullet Seed
~Swords Dance

Breloom can not only shut down more threats than Parasect, it also has a ton of power- after a swords dance boost, a lot of common pokemon will take 50+% from Mach Punch. Breloom is stronger, and, with Mach Punch, faster than Sharpedo. It has great resistances, and decent defenses too.

Just one small change, Porygon2 needs Trace. That really helps it wall common rain counters such as Vaporeon and Jellicent, and also Heatran when Rain is not up. Because you're not going mixed and because you are more defensive, Trace is the better ability.
That's all for now. Nice team!

With Breloom do you mean Seed Bomb or Bullet Seed (for the move set... I've never seen Bullet Seed used before on Breloom)

Bullet Seed.
Seed Bomb has 80 (x1,5 for stab = 120) BP
Bullet seed, has 25(x1,5x1,5 for stab and technician = 56,25) on each hit, so you have a 37,5% chance to do slightly less damage and 62,5% chance to do much more damage

So right now I have
-Azlef (same)
-Tornadus (Taunt = Grass Knot)
-Kingdra (EVs: 28 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 228 Spe)
-Porygon2 (same - Smogon says to have Download or Analytic so I'm just gonna keep it)
-Magnezone (Replace Parasect, pick him over Skarmory since it have more attack power, yes Skarmory is an awesome wall, I feel like Porygon2 is good enough for me as a tank)
- ??? - this last spot not sure about its either Breloom or Dragonite... not sure who to pick. Right now I'm starting a battle with Dragonite, I'll do more battles with both and which I like best... but what do you think I should add Dragonite or Breloom... or something else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)