XY OU My First Rate My Team

So, I use a team that is built on defense and taking hits. I just want to know if this team is any good, and any suggestions?

Skarr (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Taunt
Skarr is a harasser, Whirlwinding Set-ups and using Spikes as a weapon, I got this set from the Smogon Pokedex page, but I've been using it quite strangely since. Sure, a single Taunt ruins the day, but by then I've likely made them use a turn they could have used as an attack. However, Electric types and Fire types absolutely ruin Skarmory, thus I used Sturdy, in order to take one more hit to maybe come back later.

Tox (Venusaur) (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
With Mega Venusaur, comes Thick Fat, one of my favorite abilities. Tox is able to feed off of Sun teams or Charizard Y with Synthesis, or take down some Fairies with Sludge Bomb. Tox has bulk and like the rest of my team, recovery moves. Most of the time, if it comes down to Tox being my last left, the bulk and recovery tends to last more than a couple of turns. However Flying types aren't a good thing for this Pokemon.

Cuddles (Quagsire) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic
Cuddles is there to soak up damage, ruin set ups, and dish damage back. With Unaware, I can simply switch in on most stat buffed Pokemon, and take a couple of the hits, or force a switch out. But, a big issue is the speed, I've seen many times when I could have made it if speed just wasn't an issue, however I have a part of my team that is used for that.

Splash (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
There is a good reason why Splash doesn't have a Berry, I promise, we'll get to that soon. Having high Special Defense and only one reliable weakness, Rotom-W is pretty well off, Hydro Pump for damage, Will-O-Wisp to debuff, Volt Switch to hit-and-run, and Rest to heal, I tend to find a lot of angry opponents. Using Rest will put me to sleep, yes, however there tends to be enough health to survive and strike back, or Rest again, to remove any possible new statuses.

Seria (Talonflame) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
The fast, heavy hitter, and yet still defensive. Seria can set up on things like Ferrothorn or players switching Pokemon. If I have low health and an electric type Pokemon is out, I can Roost with Gale Wings and typically take the hit, gaining more health than I would lose. Taunt is used in case there are Pokemon who can set up, or will attempt to place entry hazards.

Lady Chant (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
Okay, so, this one in particular causes plenty of forfeits. Used as a Cleric, Lady Chant heals the team of statuses, and then will Thunder Wave her targets before proceeding to Seismic Toss them into submission. I originally intended for Lady Chant to be a Cleric alone, but I've used her more as a brawler than just a healer. With Natural Cure I can switch to remove her more critical statuses if needed, and with the bulk given by Eviolite, Lady Chant tends to outlast Blissey (As long as Knock Off doesn't happen.)

From my team, you can see I prefer Defense to Offense. I know that some teams would be able to maybe sweep it, but I haven't had that happen yet.

Last edited:
Hey mate, interesting team!
You might want to read the rules here.
Descriptions need to be longer (3 lines+) explaining why you chose your pokemon, their EV's and movesets.
Otherwise, this thread could be locked by a mod.

bogoljubow

formerly Betapf
Hi there, interesting team.
This seems to be stall-orientated, and I don't have much experience with stall, but I noticed some general issues.
First, you're using Talonflame as a stallbreaker, which looks a bit odd at first glance, but may be an interesting option. You definitely want to bring in Talonflame more often than once, and you don't have a spinner or defogger. Therefore I suggest using Defog over Whirlwind or Taunt on Skarmory. However, you should change Talonflames spread to 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe so that you have an unequal HP number and can switch twice into Stealth Rock in case you have to.
Next, Stealth Rock are even more necessary than Spikes, so I suggest using Stealth Rock over Heal Bell or Thunderwave on Chansey. I don't think Thunderwave is necessary for the team, since you can handle a lot of physical set-up sweepers with Quagsire and most special ones with Chansey itself.
At last, you could change Rotom-Ws spread to 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA Bold to better handle Flyingspam, as your main physical wall Skarmory obviously cannot handle Talonflame. I also suggest putting Chesto Berry over Leftovers. I don't think one team member asleep does not cause problems for stall teams. Alternatively you can change Rest to Pain Split to recover more than once.

Besides, I see a problem in not being able to prevent spinning or defogging. Especially the most frequent spinner, Excadrill, comes in against everything on your team except Rotom and Quagsire. Obviously Skarmory cannot do anything to it aside from phazing it away. I think you should also have more than one Toxic to make more passive damage, but I honestly don't know how to solve these minor issues without changing whole Pokémon.

Hope this helped so far.

Hey JackieKT I have a few suggestions that should help improve your team. The first change would be to replace Talonflame with Heatran. Without EV investment in Attack Talonflame fails to hit anything hard, it also fails to adequately support the team because of its crippling weakness to Stealth Rock. Because the team heavily relies on switching having a Pokemon that's 4x weak to Stealth Rock leaves you at a bit of a disadvantage. The Heatran + Mega Venusaur core is what most stall teams are built around because of their excellent synergy and their ability to check / counter a large portion of the metagame. Heatran also provides much needed Stealth Rock support that allows your team to punish opponents for switching. Toxic is used to wear down opposing walls and defoggers. Heatran is definitely worth using over Talonflame because of its superior defenses, typing, and utility.

The second change I suggest is Cofagrigus over Rotom-W (the team has a weakness to Mega Medicham and Mega Heracross). Keeping Rotom-W when you already have three premiere specially defensive mon's in Mega Venusaur, Chansey, and Heatran wouldn't be wise. You could make a case that Rotom-W could check Flying spam but that role can easily be shared by Skarmory and Heatran. Confagrigus has rose in usage lately because of its ability to check a ton of physical threats, especially Mega Heracross and Mega Medicham. It can neuter set up sweepers through the use of Will-O-Wisp and Haze, while replenishing its HP with Pain Split. Plus Mummy screws over all mon's that depend on their abilities to hit hard, like Azumarill and Mega Medicham (when the user is hit by a contact move, the attacking Pokémon's Ability is turned into Mummy, overwriting the Pokémon's previous Ability). It's a great mon' right now you should definitely try it out.

The last few changes are minor. The first thing would be to change Skarmory's moveset. You should try out Counter Skarmory. Counter gives Skarmory the option of punishing mon's who attempt to boost and 2HKO or 3HKO it. Because your team switches so much you need hazard removal support, I suggest running Defog on Skarmory to remove hazards. Also since Magnezone is everywhere so it would be wise to use Shed Shell on Skarmory so it isn't trapped and killed. But if you could care less about Magnezone, then use Rocky Helmet to punish attackers. I would also use Toxic on Chansey to help Quag and Heatran wear down opposing mon's. Mega Venusaur would also appreciate Earthquake over Leech Seed so it can deal with Heatran. You already have Synthesis for recovery so you won't miss Leech Seed much. That's about it, good luck and I hope I helped a bit.
Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Toxic

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Counter

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Haze / Knock Off

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)