ORAS OU My First RMT! [Insert Witty Name]

Introduction:
Hello, Smogon! So, this is my first time ever posting on the RMT fourm or any other one for that matter. I've played competitive since Black and White came out, a time where only weather teams seemed to be viable. But, back to the team. This is a fun offense that I created and has worked for me so far, but like many teams it certainly has flaws that I have trouble trying to figure out how to correctly tweak my team. Without further ado, here's the team

The Team-building:
So, when I first wanted to make a new team I had to know what type of team this was, so I chose to make an offensive VoltTurn team. The two pokemon to fill this role out were Mega Manectric and Earth Plate Landorus-T. I then wanted to find a pokemon that could really benefit from these two and so I chose Hoopa-U. Next I wanted to add some glue to this team, so I chose Klefki because of its ability to set up hazards, cripple, and trap for a revenge kill. I added a Assault Vest Scizor to be a strong pivot. Lastly I need some form of hazard control so I chose Latias as it filled the most holes, as well as provided a strong defogger. Thats the General outline, now a closer look...

A Closer Look:

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is the part 1 of the VoltTurn core. This thing can really rip through teams that come unprepared and is just generally A fun mon to use. It's a great mon to create pressure and is able to get the VoltTurn chains moving, as well as it can serve as a strong late game sweeper under the proper circumstances. It's access to intimidate is also really nice, as it can contribute into a intimidate core. This is pretty much your standard set with max Sp Atk and Spe. The moves are also standard, Volt Switch for momentum, Thunderbolt as a strong STAB move, Overheat to hit bulky steel types that would otherwise wall this thing, and HP Ice allowing it to hit ground types.

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

This is the part 2 of the VoltTurn Core. This thing can really put in work. This also has intimidate as well, helping me cripple threats. It can also put dents into the other team and force switches which is exactly what I want. I run Earth plate to try and maximized that damage that Earthquake deals. The EV spread is fairly simple, I run max Atk to maximize this things power, and run 236 Spe which allows me to out speed all plus natured 88 base Spe mons, while leaving me with 20 extra EVs which I threw into defense. I run stab Earthquake, as well as Stone Edge that allows me to hit birds such as Talonflame. U-Turn is to create momentum, while lastly I have Stealth Rocks. This thing creates switches, making getting rocks up a little easier. Also, none of the other pokemon on this team can learn Stealth Rocks, making this the default user.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Gunk Shot

Because of Hoopa-U's abysmal defense it can make switching this thing into play very difficult, which is the reason that I paired it with this VoltTurn core. This thing also deals with stuff such as Mega-Venusaur (Two hit KO's both Offensive and Defensive with Zen Headbutt) and also tears through Balance teams. I chose to run a life orb on this set to maximize damage on all of my attacks, rather that say, an expert belt. The EV's I'm runing are max Atk as well as max Spe with a Jolly nature to try to speed tie other plus natured base 80 Spe mons. I run Hyperspace Fury for a strong STAB as well as always hits and can go through substitutes. Zen Headbutt is another strong STAB that can hit poison types. Fire punch is for Ferrothorn and Scizor and just good coverage. Gunk Shot is used to annihilate fairys.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Fairy Lock
- Dazzling Gleam

Klefki is a great glue. It allow me to cripple many threats, set up spikes which are extremely beneficial, as well has access to Fairly lock which allows me to trap threats just before this thing goes down. I'm running max Def and Hp, allowing me to check things like Mega Lop and other major threats. The moves are standard, so I don't think I need to explain them.

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Pursuit

I chose Scizor to be my pivot. It can trap, create momentum, and also has access to priority Bullet Punch which is very useful. The Ev spead I'm running is meant to maximize scizors all around bulk, allowing it to survive multiple hits. I'm using knock off on this because, well, nothing likes getting it's item knocked off, and it provides good utility. I have pursuit on here to trap fast psychic and ghost types. Gengar can be a problem, but this is able to deal with it fairly well.

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Defog

For the last mon on this team I needed to address a few things. I needed a way to control hazards and a check for Keldeo. Latias does just that and more, by patching other weaknesses. I'm running a defensive set. The 72 Hp EV's allow it to avoid a 2 HKO from life orb Thundurus' HP Ice. I'm using HP Fire because my team can struggle with dealing with certain steel types because if Manectric hasn't Mega Evolved yet it struggles to combat steels.

Conclusion:
Overall, this is a really fun team that I put together. I've always been a fan of VoltTurn offense but could never really build that well before. It for sure has flaws that I hope you can help me work out. Thank you for reading my first RMT! Any kind of critical feedback is welcome, as I hope to do another one in the future!

Threats:
Bisharp- is a huge problem to this team, intimidate just helps. I can wear it down with klefki but other than that I really struggle with it.

Belly Drum Azumarill- Set's up and sweeps. I can live an aqua jet with Klefki and T-wave it, as well as I live one with Scizor and Latias, but still puts a dent in my team.

Scarf Lanorus- can be extremely scary, as it can revenge kill most of my team. Proper predictions can be used to deal with it.

Rotom-W- Can be a real pain in the ass. That's just what it is.

Bird Spam- Extremely threatening, but can be widdled through intimidates and switches.

There are more threats but these are the most glaring in my eye, feel free to mention any more.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
pretty cool HO team :o

This team is quite solid, but it lacks a strong win con, which can be problematic when its the late game and you have no definitive way of ending the match. While AV Scizor is decent, I really feel like a Swords Dance set would suit it better, because it gives you a good win condition for when its checks and counters are weakened (mega mane and Hoopa help with this tremendously). This also pairs extremely well with Klefki's fairy lock, at it can give you a free turn to set up a swords dance against a Pokemon that is unable to touch it. Once the team has done its job in battering down the opposition, Swords Dance Scizor makes for a great cleaner thanks to its access to strong moves and priority bullet punch. You also retain its ability to offensively check fairy types.

There are many different variants that can be run, but in my opinion, fast SD LO fits the team the best. Should that set not seem appealing, a slightly bulkier LEftovers set can also work since it has more setup opportunities. I encourage you to try out both.

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 196 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

the Attack EVs ensure that Scizor OHKOes standard Clefable 100% of the time with a +2 Bullet Punch

I also believe that you should run Play Rough over Dazzling Gleam on Klefki because it OHKOes Weavile after Stealth Rock and it deals much more damage to the Lati Twins.

One more thing that might be worth looking into is Drain Punch > Fire Punch on Hoopa. I do not feel that this change is needed, but it does give hoopa a way of beating Heatran and Tyranitar, two mons that otherwise wall it.

good luck, and hope I helped!

Perennial

amol selseila
as mentioned by -Clone- your team lacks a good way to close a game aside from continuously abusing VoltTurn paired with the pressure of Hoopa-U and hazards. in addition to addressing the weaknesses in your threat list, I would like my rate to provide you with a pokémon capable of closing your games. I believe this pokémon needs to be faster than/set-up on threats like Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny because those two in particular do a good job of weakening your defensive core to the point where you will become vulnerable to an eventual sweep. I am going to recommend trying DD Charizard-X over Mega Manectric, below is why:
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

1. very good win condition capable of setting up and closing the game before things like Mega Manectric and Lopunny can clean your team.

2. synergizes nicely with your team since you have all the needed elements: Defog, entry hazards and Hoopa-U, who is very efficient at breaking down the walls that are nuisances for Charizard-X.

3. helps you better deal with Mega Manectric and patches up a huge weakness to stall breaker Mew, who is extremely annoying for you to deal with.

4. retains coverage over many of the threats Mega Manectric checked, such as Mega Scizor.

5. you mention an issue with Scarf Landorus-T. with these EVs, you are faster at +1 and deal big damage with Flare Blitz, giving you something capable of luring and killing Landorus-T, lessening the danger the thing poses to your team.
replacing Mega Manectric removes an important part of your VoltTurn core and check to things like Tornadus-T. to make up for the loss many issues of the issues you mentioned, I recommend Rotom-W over Scizor. this gives you a new Volt Switcher and addresses the issues you mentioned with bird spam, Azumarill and Landorus-T. Klefki's typing retains a check to many of the things Scizor handled. Rotom-W + Landorus-T should cover threats like Mega Metagross and between Charizard-X + Hoopa-U, Clefable shouldn't be a big problem. as such, losing Scizor isn't too bad. I recommend a Rotom-W with enough speed to address another problem you mention: Bisharp.
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

good mixture of bulk with enough speed to burn Bisharp, giving you better coverage over the issue.
some final suggestions, Roost over HP Fire on Latias. with Charizard-X and Rotom-W, the need for HP Fire is decreased. this allows you to use Roost, giving your Latias more longevity to handle Keldeo, Charizard-Y and Rotom-W, which is another problem you mention.

bulkier Landorus-T - I think you'd prefer bulky Landorus-T on this team, mainly for Mega Lopunny. with Rotom-W using a speedier EV, bumping up Landorus-T's bulk will go a long way in relieving the pressure bird spam and threats like Excadrill place on your team. try 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe with an Adamant nature and Rocky Helmet.

SpD Klefki and Magnet Rise over Fairy Lock - with Landorus-T and Rotom-W covering the physical defensive side, you have the freedom to use 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature on Klefki. this lets you handle things like Mega Gardevoir better, which is cool with the loss of Scizor. Magnet Rise will give you yet another way to discourage Landorus-T and ease the process of spiking on several other bulky grounds.

another thing you can consider is Grass Knot on Hoopa-U over Fire Punch. this could be very useful to lure in and remove Hippowdon, helping DD Charizard-X sweep. alternatively, Psychic over Zen Headbutt with a Hasty nature lets Hoopa-U do noticeably more damage to bulky grounds while hitting the same things just as hard. otherwise nice team, hope I was helpful.

Last edited:
hi there, interesting hyper offense team you have here, but there are some problems to be mentioned. like other posters have said, your team does lack a clear cut way of winning most matches, it seems your current game plan is to get up stealth rock as quick as possible with landorus and begin chipping away and getting hoopa in for free. while this may seem alright on paper, i don't think hoopa is the best abuser for this team -- it does take full advantage of the momentum gained through volt switch / u-turn but a lot of the common threats in the metagame and to your team easily force it out and you're left to sack a member of your team. what i am suggesting is to replace hoopa with a different late game sweeper in focus sash alakazam. i'd argue this is much better for your team as alakazam can successfully check some of the bigger threats to your team, namely keldeo [specs variants plow through your team as latias lacks recovery], mega charizard-y and talonflame all of which alakazam outspeeds and hoopa does not. a focus sash set also means alakazam is guaranteed two hits at least off against slower threats, meaning it can 2hko ferrothorn and other bulky steels your team struggles with, as well as faring much better against bisharp. dropping hoopa in this situation does not seem like too big of a loss -- alakazam beats mega venusaur, while also doesn't care about burns which is important as hoopa does have trouble switching into bulky waters fearing a scald.

the next change i am suggesting is potentially one you may not want to make considering the composition of your team, while your team is a volt switch team i think scizor could be replaced to better your team. the suggestion i have in mind is assault vest bisharp over scizor. bisharp equally pursuit traps gengar, but fares better against the latias / latios hidden power [fire] and is more of a surefire answer to them, which is important because your only other switch in is klefki, which you are heavily relying on for to deal with dragons and physical attackers. bisharp also makes rotom-w think twice about switching in and stab knock off really helps to neutralize ferrothorn, scarf keldeo on the switch and heatran. additionally dark type priority is valuable against weakened talonflame, who is more reliably dealt with [alakazam + landorus + bisharp]. i feel bisharp is a better fit here than scizor but i acknowledge it does sacrifice the integrity of your team, play around with it and see what works.

i'd also recommend dropping fairy lock and dazzling gleam on klefki in place of magnet rise and flash cannon. fairy lock is a very situational move, and klefki really shouldn't be wasting moveslots with this, additionally if you decide to go with the bisharp change [and/or perennial's landorus changes] then you will be less worried about dragons, so dazzling gleam isn't a necessity. magnet rise means klefki will always beat scarf landorus one on one, while flash cannon allows you to dispose of mega diancie, who is also very threatening to this team. magnet rise + flash cannon means you avoid earth power and live hidden power [fire], while flash cannon will always ohko 0 hp / 0 sdef mega diancie. while it does mean keldeo switches in on klefki easier, i think you should be ok against it between thunder wave and latias.... if you are really struggling against keldeo then you can put roost somewhere on latias, however that's all personal preference.

good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)