My First RMT =]

This is my first RMT so bare with me! =]. I hope i didn't make too many grammar errors since I'm kind of a grammar ninja! lol, but it was A LOT of typing. Enjoy.

[pimg]212[/pimg] [pimg]503[/pimg] [pimg]373[/pimg] [pimg]490[/pimg] [pimg]453[/pimg] [pimg]121[/pimg]

Introduction:
I've been building this team for over a month. This team started with my favorite Johto Pokemon, Scizor! I'm an offensive player and i feel Scizor was a great way to start this off with. I've had some solid success with this team with a 65%+ (dont know the exact percentage) win rate on Pokemon Showdown. There are some Pokemon that seem to give me trouble and I'm hoping you can all help me out with that. I built this team with help from http://beldum.org/synergy. Its a very handy tool. Of course I also had plenty of help from the analysis Smogon provides as well plenty of trial and error sessions. This team still is not as good as i'd like it to be, but that is why i'm here. I'm little stuck on how to further improve my team. HERE GOES!

[pimg]212[/pimg]
Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Brick Break (Would like to have it Super Power, if someone can move tutor it for me)

Scizor is a scary one to face and causes many switches. The power its Bullet Punch gains from Technician, Stab, and Choice Band is devastating to anything that doesn't resist it. Also makes for a excellent revenge killer. I originally had Bug Bite in placed of U-turn, yes it did way more damage, but the option get Scizor out of the field when the likes of Ferrothorn and Landorus-T come in is very helpful. U-Turn also nabs a OHKO on Latios and Starmie. Pursuit is really handy against Latios as some will switch it out very fast if the don't have HP Fire on it. Pursuit also wrecks Ghost types like Gengar and does decent damage to Jellicent, even if they don't switch. Pursuit also OHKO Starmie if it switches out. I'm hoping to replace Brick Break with Super Power if someone can teach it to my Scizor, but I'll have to use Brick Break in the mean time. Brick Break really hurts Chansey, Ferrothorn, TTar, and anything else that its super effective against. Super Power is a much better choice though, especially with Choice Band. Brick does have the Benefit of breaking Light Screen/Reflect, but it doesn't hurt the Pokes that set it up like Azelf, or Cresselia.

[pimg]503[/pimg]
Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

One of Scizor's greatest partners, covers its fire weakness and can retaliate with STAB Hydro Pump, and Electric attacks. Hydro Pumps takes care of Heatran and virtually every other ground, fire, and rock types. Though a specially defensive Volcarona can come in and set up on me sometimes. Volt Switch is there to scout switch ins like Ferrothorn and Forretress. Hidden Power Ice Destroys the Dragon/Flying types. It also 2HKOs Haxorus and Hydreigon, though i must watch out for Haxorus' Mold Breaker. Thunderbolt is there for when i need a more powerful electric attack, but don't need or want to switch.

[pimg]373[/pimg]
Salamence @ Lum Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Blast

I used to overlook Salamence entirely, but then he started destroying me and i said, "if you can't beat them, join them!" Salamence further helps Scizor's fire weakness, gives me a resistance to fighting, and an additional Immunity to ground attacks, including spikes. Dragon Claw is a mandatory stab. Earthquake helps me hit Jirachi, TTar, Jolteon on the switch and just has awesome all around coverage. After a Dragon Dance, there aren't too many pokes that can stop me. Jolteon with HP ice and focus sash or choice scarf can revenge kill me. Mamoswine can revenge kill with Ice Shard, Latios with Choice Scarf. Those are the first that come to mind. I originally had Fire Fang over Fire Blast till i realize Fire Blast was an overall better choice. OHKO Ferrothorn, but if rain is set up, this doesnt do much to Ferrothorn and he just Leech Seeds and Protects till i faint. It also hit opposing Scizor and Forestress. Breloom without Focus Sash is also OHKO by Fire Blast. I have a Lum Berry as my item, because guys like Chansey/Blissey like to Thunder Wave me (and any other Poke that carries Thunder Wave). Breloom and Amoongus like to put me to sleep with Spore. Other pokes also like to Will-o-Wisp like Jellicent or Dusclops/Dusknoir. I'm also considering using Moxie over Intimidate, thus prompting me to use a Naive Nature.

[pimg]490[/pimg]
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Taunt

I used to think Heatran was kind lame. Then i realized he is the only Steel type with an immunity to fire attacks! I first experimented with a modest/timid nature investing 252 in speed. I found my team getting trolled by pokes with substitute. Lava Plume is my STAB move + it can Burn foes usually only on switch ins trying to protect there Ferrothorns and Scizor from getting torched. Toxic cripples Politoed, Jellicent, and a few other water types, bar Tentacruel. Toxic also helps me with Dragonite, Volcarona, Salamence, Latios, Thundrus-T (on the switch in), and even Landorus-T. Roar helps me phase out the guys that like to set up like Volcarona, Dragonite, Cloyster etc. Taunt... well taunt has not been too useful for me and I'm considering putting Hidden Power Ice back into that last last move slot to hit those blasted dragon types! It has helped me stop Ferro, and Forretress from using SR, but they usually run away from Heatran. I would actually like to have that last move slot filled with Stealth Rock, but again i am plagued by not having easy access to B & W 2 Move Tutors (at least till the North American Release).
Heatran covers Scizor's fire weakness, Rotom-W grass weakness, and Salamence's Ice and Dragon weakness. Heatran's resistances can be a great asset to any team.

[pimg]453[/pimg]
Lucario @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

I've always love this guy, especially in SSBB! He is so freaking cool! On a more serious note, Close Combat Devastates Chansey, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Ttar... you know the rest lol. 2HKO non physically defensive Politoed and Ninetails on switch ins of course... then again i dont know why you would switch them in on a Close Combat anyways. Crunch hits Gengar, Alakazam, Starmie, Reuniclus, Jellicent. Ice Punch is for those BLOODY DRAGON TYPES!!! I love using dragon types as much as i hate fighting them... there just so powerful! Again, though, i am plagued with the move tutor thing for Lucario's Ice Punch... seriously, though, CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT WITH THAT?! I've been doing most my battling/testing on Pokemon Showdown to avoid too much breeding in the real game, but i do prefer playing the actual game, as it feels more satisfying! lol. Extreme Speed gives me decent Neutral Coverage, but i dont use it too often since im Scarfed, unless i really need to revenge kill a Scarfed Pokemon. So im definitely open to some suggestions for Lucario.

[pimg]121[/pimg]
Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Ahh the wonderful Starmie. I've known this guy... errr thing since 1998! Has always been a great pokemon with its excellent move pool. I can talk about how great Starmie is all day. STAB Surf is Mandatory for Mamoswine, TTar (when it traps me with pursuit) Dugtrio, Ninetails, even though the lost of power sucks in the sun it still 2HKO it on the switch in. Surf just hurts everything that doesn't resist it, or if Sun is up. Thunderbolt destroys all the other silly water types that think they are better than Starmie like Gyarados, Politoed, and Tentacruel. Ice Beam is for... THOSE BLOO.... you know.... you know. Also hits guys like Gliscor as i forgot to mention earlier, i was just so busy ranting on about dragons. Rapid Spin helps me with entry hazards, but doesn't help when Ferrothorn is hanging around walling my beautiful Starmie. Salamence really appreciates the Rapid Spin Support, since SR kicks his ass. well that about wraps up the team analysis, now on to threats i think.

Threats:

Thundrus-T: This guys really ruins my day, especially on rain teams and if he has substitute. HP Ice kills my Salamence. Thunder obliterates Starmie. Heatran can only hope to Toxic him. Rotom-W can really hurt him if Hydro Pump doesn't miss. Lucario can hurt it with Ice Punch, but get OHKO by Thunder. Scizor can also deal severe damage with Bullet Punch. Stealth Rock support from Heatran would really come in handy for this guy. This guy having Volt Absorb doesn't help my Rotom-W take him out either.... seriously how is this guy not in UBERS?!

Amoongus: This guy in the rain ruins my day with Spore. Fire Blast and Lava Plume from Salamence and Heatran, respectively doesn't do much, He spores me and switches out. WHAT DO I DO?!?! Starmie and Rotom don't stand much of a chance either. Lucario can do some solid damage with Ice Punch, but i need a better way to deal with him!

Breloom: when he is not on a rain team I'm not too worried. The combination of Ice and Fire attack i have pretty much deal with his frailty, but he outspeeds my Heatran and Rotom-W, if Fire Blast misses, Salamence is done for if Lum Berry was already used. Starmie is my best counter for Breloom with its frigid Ice Beam. I think Lucario can also OHKO with Ice Punch when it doesn't have Focus Sash.

Terrakion: This guy with a Choice Scarf is a menace! Rotom is a solid counter if Stone Edge doesn't land a Critical. I can Toxic him with Heatran, but only if balloon is in tact. Salamence can Earthquake him, but risking that Stone Edge is... well risky! Lucario can Dominate him when Terrakion isn't holding Choice Scarf.

Dragonite: This Multiscaleing monster is a menace if i can't toxic, burn, or hit him on the switch before he Dragon Dances. He can just proceed to sweep me if my Salamence isn't set up, or if Starmie or Rotom weren't already out to hit him with some Ice attacks. Lucario can Revenge kill with extreme speed if his HP is low enough, or with Ice Punch as i believe my Choice Scarfed Lucario out-speeds him after one Dragon Dance.

There are some other threats, but those are the ones that come to mind that really stand out for me.

I've noticed rain teams can give me problems especially when Thundrus-T is on there. I'm open to any suggestions, i'll try out any Pokemon, and different move sets as well. Advice would be much appreciated. I've always been good at Pokemon, but the past 6 months I've been getting more serious about competitive battling. I've learned how to RNG, and my knowledge of Pokemon is vast. I pretty much know all the type weakness and strengths, all the Pokes including their viable move, useful moves, type, and stats. I know i have the potential to become a Pokemon Master, but i can't do it without help from the grandest community of Competitive Pokemon Battling. The day i discovered Smogon University, my view on Pokemon Battling made a great change. Thank you and please RMT!

This is a very nice team, especially for a first one! I like how you have no 5th gen Pokemon at all haha.

One thing that caught my eye was Choice Scarf Lucario. Lucario isn't fast enough with Adamant nature to be an effective Scarfer, or powerful enough if you switch to Jolly.

If you really want to use Lucario, I recommend a Swords Dance set as that's the most effective set in this metagame. However, I strongly believe you should replace him, and you definitely need a scarfer.

I think you should replace Lucario with a scarf Terrakion. It's higher speed and attack allow it to be a much better scarfer than Lucario.

~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ X-Scissor
~ Rock Slide

This allows you to somewhat check/revenge kill Dragons, even after one dance, and Thunderous.

I'll get back on your team later, but I hope I somewhat helped :)

This is a very nice team, especially for a first one! I like how you have no 5th gen Pokemon at all haha.

One thing that caught my eye was Choice Scarf Lucario. Lucario isn't fast enough with Adamant nature to be an effective Scarfer, or powerful enough if you switch to Jolly.

If you really want to use Lucario, I recommend a Swords Dance set as that's the most effective set in this metagame. However, I strongly believe you should replace him, and you definitely need a scarfer.

I think you should replace Lucario with a scarf Terrakion. It's higher speed and attack allow it to be a much better scarfer than Lucario.

~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ X-Scissor
~ Rock Slide

This allows you to somewhat check/revenge kill Dragons, even after one dance, and Thunderous.

I'll get back on your team later, but I hope I somewhat helped :)
I agree, very nice RMT for a first. I also agree on the Lucario change to swords dance set or drop him for a better scarfer. While terrakion is the more probable choice, a scarf moxie krookodile works just as well. If the team is linear your can more or less sweep with it. Ive 6-0 a team after making a good switch with krookodile and luckily having his whole team either weak to or taking neutral damage from earthquake.
So if you want to use the krookodile:
Jolly (max speed jolly outspeeds the same nature/ev of lucario)
Earthquake
StoneEdge
Crunch
Pursuit
hope this helps

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi javyj79

Very solid team you have here. However, I have some suggestions to help improve it. Volcarona with Hidden Power Ground is a major threat to your team as he outspeeds and sweeps you after a Quiver Dance and Heatran's Air Balloon has been popped due to some prior damage. Dragon Dance Salamence poses a similar problem as your only check is Heatran with Balloon still intact. For these threats, I suggest replacing Scarf Lucario with a Choice Scarf Landorus with a moveset of Earthquake / Stone Edge / Hidden Power Ice / U-turn. Landorus sits at base 101 speed and so outspeeds Volcarona and Salamence even at +1, dispatching of them with Stone Edge and Hidden Power Ice respectively. Landorus also provides a check to Dragon Dance Dragonite and Haxorus and can speedtie with the common scarf Thundurus-T in the Black and White 2 metagame. Earthquake provides a powerful STAB to spam, especially if your opponent sets up sand, once opposing Flying types and Levitators have been eliminated. Landorus also benefits your team by providing an additional U-turn user to the Voltturn core that consists of Scizor and Rotom-W. This is useful to force switchs, gaining momentum, and providing more chances for Salamence to set up and Starmie to Rapid Spin. Hidden Power Ice is used to hit Gliscor hard for 4x Super Effective damage who would otherwise wall Landorus.

Now for some smaller changes. When playing on a simulator (Pokemon Showdown or Pokemon Online) replace Taunt on Heatran with Stealth Rock. Because of your Voltturn core of Scizor, Rotom-W, and Landorus, you will be forcing many switches. Having rocks up means you will be punishing your opponent every time they switch and allows you to wear them down, opening them up for a late sweep. Stealth Rock also cripples many of the top offensive threats in the metagame including Volcarona, Dragonite, and Salamence. On Scizor, place the 8 Speed EVs into Defense. This means that you will be slower than most opposing Scizor's which is beneficial as it allows you to U-turn second, giving you the switch advantage. The Defense EVs help Scizor take physical hits a bit better as it already has solid physical bulk. On Rotom-W, Leftovers would be more effective than a Sitrus Berry as it provides steady recovery and cancels out residual damage from Sandstorm and Hail. Rotom-W would also benefit from a faster EV spread of 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 with a Modest nature. The speed investment allows you to outspeed max speed Adamant Scizor and Breloom as well as most variants of Gliscor. This change sacrifices some bulk to handle some threats that would otherwise significantly cripple Rotom-W either with status or a powerful attack. Lastly, you are missing 4 EVs on Starmie so place those into Special Defense.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-U-turn

tl;dr
Scarf Lucario ----> Choice Scarf Landorus
Taunt on Heatran ----> Stealth Rock
8 Speed EVs on Scizor ----> 8 Defense EVs
Sitrus Berry on Rotom-W ----> Leftovers
Rotom-W's EV Spread ----> 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd with Modest Nature
Add 4 Special Defense EVs on Starmie

nice team, but I do have 1 nitpick about salamence.

I think that you should either change dragon claw to outrage to increase your damage output while also being good with lum berry. If you are outraging to confusion, you likely won't get statused while sweeping.

Or change lum berry to life orb for more damage. dragon claws damage loss compared to outrage is noticable and life orb helps to remedy that.

Thank you all for your feedback!

@ Avatar Korra: I'm going to go ahead and try Terrakion. Lucario was actually sort thrown on the team, because i feel i needed a STAB fighting move and his fire, ground, and fighting weakness were all covered on the team. We'll see how Terrakion works out!

@ aDaTheCheat: I will also try your suggested Krookodile after I've tried Terrakion. I also may tweak around his moves just a bit if the set you provided doesn't suit my needs, i feel that if i don't dont have a fighting move my team will further be plagued by Ferrothorn in the rain. Maybe replace Pursuit with Low Kick/Superpower (move Tutor in Black 2). I know Krookodile is a great Pokemon and I've never used him before so I'm really excited to try him out! Thanks!

@ Novaray: I haven't encountered any Volcarona with HP ground yet, but thanks for the advice on that! I actually considered Landorus at one point, but was a little Sketched out by the additional 4x Ice weakness. I do see and understand how well Landorus can replace Lucario and i will try him as well!
As for your changes, Stealth Rock over Taunt does seem like a much beter choice. Small mistake on my part with Starmie XD. I agree with the change on Scizor. As for Rotom-W I'll try that EV set, switching the item to leftovers could be a problem for as my Starmie has it, and weather or not Item Clause is in effect, i always play as if it is in effect so i don't have to change it like when i go play random wifi battles online.

@ Itchni: I understand where you are coming at with Salamence. I tried the Life Orb, but he would end up dying very fast, if i wasnt able to remove Stealth Rock or if i get burn or poisoned. Personally I don't Like Outrage on Salamence, because it traps me and i prefer to save the Lum Berry for Paralysis, Burn, or Sleep. I will give Outrage a try though and see how it works out. Thanks for the Advice on that.

Thank you all very much for your advice, i'm going to start trying all the changes today! Your help is much appreciated. =]

Terrakion

So I've replaced Lucario with Terrakion and it has been a huge improvement to my team. I've been winning about 75% of my battles now. I'm skeptical about using krookodile because of his typing, but I am still going to try him out eventually. Thundurus-T is no longer a threat thanks to Stealth Rocks and Terrakion, but there are some threats I've discovered.

Threats:

Gastrodon and Swampert: With no grass attacks I can only hope to toxic him and slowly wear him down with that.

Gliscor: With Rotom-w's HP Ice and Starmie's Ice Beam you would think he wouldn't be a problem, but when he is paired with Pokemon that take these attacks (like Gastrodon), It takes me till the end of the match to take him out.

Amoongus: Still seems to be quite a threat in the rain. I can take him out, but usually end up having to lose one of my pokes, or having them fall asleep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)