My First Smogon RMT

Asked a few friends to help me build a team with Genesect in it since the lovely tech bug is out. This is what our collective brains came up with.

Politoed
Nickname: DrizzleD5
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Item: Leftovers
Moveset:
Scald
Toxic
Perish Song
Protect

Yes I know running scald, toxic, perish song, and protect all together is seemingly unconventional, but it gives the bulky Frog plenty to counter in the way of boosting and walls, as well as give it Scald for those pesky Ferrothorns and other steel types immune to toxic that might not worry too much about perish song because they are busy setting up entry hazards. it's important to note that although Politoed is designed as the lead, he can switch with Deoxys-D as lead, if opposing entry hazard users appear.

Genesect
Nickname: HexBug
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Item: Life Orb
Moveset:
Rock Polish
Flamethrower
Ice Beam
Bug Buzz

Now for the main reason for this team. I was really torn whether to have thunderbolt for fabulous coverage, or Bug Buzz for a powerful STAB attack. I eventually settled for Bug Buzz as I have tested this team on PO, and most of the time Jolteon suffices for a Thunderbolt user. The only problem I have with Genesect is actually thinking of better movepools for him than the DW ones that are already given. Here is the idea, come in on something you can live at least 2 hits from, set up the first turn, and then attempt to perform a mini sweep the second turn on. Of course you can also try and threaten something out by making the opponent think you are choiced and then set up on the switch, but I find not many people want to switch away from a Genesect. I've also contemplated removing flamethrower for thunderbolt but then I lose that 4x effective against Scizors and Ferrothorns, which is crucial if I can get them taken out before rain is up.

Jolteon
Nickname: Sparkor
EVs: 252 sp atk, 252 spe, 4 SpD
Moveset:
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Hidden Power Ice
Shadow Ball

Now for the spiky Eeveelution. I decided upon this guy to cover Politoed's crippling electric weakness, as well as take thunder waves that may be thrown at the rest of the team. You'd be surprised how many people let electric moves slip with a Volt Absorber on your team. He is mainly to threaten out water types that might think they can block the team, as well as provide usable shadow ball spam upon the ghost, and psychic types in OU.

Virizion
Nickname: Verizon
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Moveset:
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
Close Combat
Stone Edge

Why would I choose Virizion when there is Terrakion that works just as well? Well one key pokemon. Gastrodon. Gastordon pretty much scoffs at any hit that any other member will try and throw at him. While I can either toxic or make him die last to a Perish Song, it's just too much trouble to get around one single pokemon. It's sort of like a Crutch. Virizion also proves to be my only physical attacker (probably will be the doom of me) in this team. I may adjust and bring in a physical attacker to replace a pokemon who is dead weight just to add some balance. This one member is still a work in progress with the rest of the team, however after a swords dance, he becomes rather deadly.

Rotom-W
Nickname: Fix It
Item: choice specs
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Moveset:
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Hidden Power Ice
Trick

I choose Rotom Wash over Keldeo mainly for one reason. It's ability to trick it's choice item on something. Believe it or not, that comes in handy when facing boosters/baton passers. If you are able to trick them with something, before they set up, then they effectively become useless. Also Specs hydro pump does a lot outside of rain, so picture in rain. I also wanted to have a wallbreaker in case Genesect didn't clean up the opponent's team and Rotom-W spoke to me. A nifty ability that nulls ground moves is also useful.

Deoxys-D
Nickname: Berlin
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Moveset:
Taunt
Spikes
Stealth Rocks
Night Shade

This guy is my entry hazard user. As Deoxys-D is annoyingly bulky, he usually is able to get up at least stealth rocks and one layer of spikes before he goes down. I opted for the faster Deoxys-D in order to counter a lot of entry hazard setters if they appeared in the lead position. Comes in handy against other bulky Deoxys-D and Ferrothorn especially. I chose for both the spikes and stealth rocks because I don't want threats like MoxieRos or MoxieMence coming in at full health if they carry the unusual focus sash. also useful to break Dragonite's Multiscale

Let me know any changes that can be made to my team, and helpful criticism please. this is actually my first Smogon RMT that I've posted (despite doing reviews for teams on my Youtube.) I'll take any constructive criticism as well as suggestions to the team building. I usually only have trouble getting pokemon into a team when they first come out (Imposter Ditto excluded for obvious reasons).

Team seems solid, but off the top of my head, after a DDance Salamence sweeps your team. I also don't like Deoxys-D, as although it can take hits, it gets worn down easily. Try Imposter Ditto in your last slot for your sweeper issues.

Team seems solid, but off the top of my head, after a DDance Salamence sweeps your team. I also don't like Deoxys-D, as although it can take hits, it gets worn down easily. Try Imposter Ditto in your last slot for your sweeper issues.
Definitely an option worth considering. thanks.

Hiya, Nic. Just battled this team like, twice. And I can say it's a pretty strong and solid team. However, with the lack of any Choice Scarf Pokemon and Pokemon to take hits, you are very weak to these few things:
Choice Band: Terrakion, Infernape, Dragonite, Breloom.
Choice Specs: Latios, Politeod.
Choice Scarf: Salamence, Genesect, Terrakion.

As a result, any really strong and fast offensive team can wear it down slowly and if your Deoxys-D is dead...and maybe your Jolteon too, let's just say it's game over for you if they have a Banded Terrakion.

In order to combat against these strong threats, I suggest replacing Choice Scarf over Life Orb. It helps combat against a lot of these threats and replace Thunder over Rock Polish, and U-Turn over Flamethrower. You would normally receive Special Attack boosts if you're up against something that can hit hard, and Attack boost against something you can't hit hard and then U-Turn will do quite a lot of damage. I'll give you the Genesect set that suits you better at the end. Oh, and lastly, give Naive Nature for your Genesect over Timid Nature.

Other than that, this team really looks solid and powerful. A strong wall breaker team, but have quite some troubles against offensive teams. Hope that helps, Nic. Just watch how you play around against them since your Deoxys-D is the only thing that can take hits but slowly worn down by attackers. Good luck with your team and I hope to face it again some other time.
Cheers.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Team seems solid, but off the top of my head, after a DDance Salamence sweeps your team.
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Salamence (+Atk) Outrage vs 0 HP/4 Def Genesect: 79.15% - 93.29% (2 hits to KO)
Then Genesect says Ice Beam. :I
And, in Rain:
4 SpAtk Life Orb Salamence Fire Blast vs 0 HP/4 SpDef Genesect: 91.87% - 107.42% (50% chance to OHKO)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)