ORAS OU My first team, Venusaur+Slowbro core

Hello everyone, this is my first team since long ago when I played 4th and 5th generation.
The team is more defensive than I planned and one of the main problems is the lack of sweepers or fast Pokemons. So I thought you guys should check it out say what does it needs to be improved.

THE TEAM

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Venusaur is along with Slowbro the core of the team, so they pretty much tank the incoming attacks that the other Pokemons are weak. They have a pretty good synergy. Its only weakness are Psychic and Flying which Slowbro can take the first. The moves have a good coverage and thanks to its good Sp. Attack, they can do a good job.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 24 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Toxic
- Slack Off

This guy is a solid defensive wall on the OU, if not the best thanks to its good stas, moves and ability. With Slack Off and Regenerator you can recover 80% of its HP when you switch off. I chose Toxic because Ferrothorn uses Thunder Wave. It can wall Keldeo, Landorus, Azumarill, Talonflame and some others well. Venusaur can take Electric and Grass attacks. Scald and Psyshock offer good coverage too.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

This guy does a very good job with the combination of its ability and item. It's very to setup SR and use Dragon Tail on Pokemons that likes to setup, plus dealing a good damage as they switch up. Earthquake is a very reliable attack and Fire Blast is there to finish Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor. The downside is the lack of recovery and easily cripped by poison and burn.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

I chose it because of the synergy it had with the team, it was lacking some Fairy, Psyshic and Ice resistance plus it has very nice moves to use. Spikes helps a lot with SR, Thunder Wave is very useful since my team doesn't have very much speed and Gyro Ball can do serious damage to Rock and Fairy Pokemons.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

My favorite physical sweeper. This guy is ready at anytime and I'm not afraid of using it when I can't tank with Slowbro or Venusaur. Knock Off does a really good job and takes off the item which is very helpful. Ice Punch can hit Flying/Dragon/Earth Pokemons that are very common and the Fighthing moves by themselves are powerful. Even with this set it can't last much time so I don't mind poison or burns.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

Another one to fit the team for coverage. I don't have another Ice move and if Conkeldurr is gone, I only have Zapdos to use. It also has the only Electric move on the team so it's helpful.

THREATS

• Latios/Latias: Definitely the worst threat to the team. Draco Meteor can take the entire team except Ferrothorn easily and 2KO it with HP Fire.
  • Clefable: If Venusaur or Ferrothorn are dead, it can be troublesome due to its bulk.
  • Gengar: I don't have any super effective moves, Slowbro isn't fast enough to use Psyshock.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hey there [:

This is a very nice team, but unfortunately, it is walled by Mega Venusaur who can pretty much wall any attack your Pokemon throws at it. Due to Thick Fat, Zapdos's Hidden Power Ice doesn't do much, and Venusaur can just Toxic Zapdos, and the rest of your team, because you have no way to counter opposing stall / semi-stall Pokemon. Because of this problem, I have two suggestions for your team.

First of all, I think you should go Starmie > Zapdos. It's not very helpful having a Defogger weak to Stealth Rock, and your team seems very passive at the moment as you have very slow Pokemon, and the opponent can take advantage of this by setting up. Starmie offers you a reliable check to Latios and Latias as well as a Rapid Spinner and a hard-hitting Pokemon. Starmie can also take care of Swords Dance Gliscor, another threat to your team. Zapdos offered you a nice defensive wall, but with it, your team was really slow and overly defensive, meaning it could be taken advantage of very easily, so changing it to Starmie should give your team the offensive push it really needs.

Secondly, I think that Bisharp / Weavile > Conkeldurr would really help you. Like with Zapdos, Conkeldurr is really slow, and doesn't function well as a late-game cleaner, which your team would really appreciated. Whilst they both bring a weakness to Fighting, Slowbro is more than capable of sorting them out, and despite this drawback, they both have their advantages. Bisharp has the ability to set up with Swords Dance, shrug off status with Lum Berry, and get some decent KOs. Weavile, while being very frail, is a fantastic late-game cleaner thanks to priority in the form of Ice Shard, which instantly takes Garchomp, Zygarde and Landorus, and utility in the form of Knock Off, which can help against opposing stall / semi-stall teams. If you go for Bisharp, you've got a really nice win-con; if you go for Weavile, you've got a fast, powerful late-game cleaner, so try them both out, and see how they help.

Lastly, I think you should make a few moveset changes. On Ferrothorn, Protect > Thunder Wave will greatly help your team, as you are able to stall and scout the enemy's move, so that you can switch into a sure-fire counter to that move. Protect also works well with Leech Seed, as the passive recovery can be very helpful. However, because you lose an extremely helpful status move, changing Toxic < Thunder Wave on Slowbro allows you to cripple faster Pokemon, such as Mega Lopunny, Alakazam, and Gengar. I personally don't think that Toxic is necessary, because Venusaur has Sludge Bomb, and the chance to poison is definitely enough for me.
I hope I helped; good luck with the team [:

>

/
>

Protect > Thunder Wave

Toxic < Thunder Wave

Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Last edited:
Hey alizor nice team and I really enjoy the use of Mega Venusaur as it can wall a large proportion of the metagame. However, I do have a couple of changes which could help enhance the overall performance of the team :]].

Looking at your team you have a massive volcarona weakness as after one Quiver Dance it can really tear apart your team. Fiery dance hits Venusaur and does a lot at +1, Bug buzz hits slowbro and Chomp and firery dance/fire blast hitting the rest of your team really. So for this reason I wanna suggest Talonflame > Conkeldurr. Talon is able to easily switch in on volcarona if Rocks aren't up and either revenge kill it with Brave Bird or force a switch out and set up a swords dance. As mentioned by Sobi above your team is weak to Mega Venu and talon can help you deal with it easier. Just like conkeldurr, talon has the capability to sweep and deal with some threats. Talon can't really switch in to Gengar but can easily OHKO it with Brave Bird. However, Talonflame CAN switch in to LATIAS but unfortunately cant pick up the OHKO on it, it's still great for finish off weak Lati's. You could always run a specially defensive set to come in on gengar with ease but if you want Talon to act as a sweeper I suggest the Swords Dance Set.

Once again as mentioned by Sobi I wanna suggest Starmie > Zapdos Rapid Spin outclasses Defog on a team with both Spikes and Stealth rocks. Starmie can also provide you a more powerful Ice type move that being Ice Beam. Both sets work here, either an offensive rapid spinner OR a Reflect Type set will work. The former will allow you take on pokemon such as Gengar and Latios on better where as the latter helps you against non-low kick weavile, bisharp and non-superpower Tyranitar. Starmie can also help absorb status conditions thanks to Natural Cure which I think your team struggles quite a bit against.

Sobi mentioned majority of the things (Good job), but personally, I don't really see the need of a change in the Garchomp spread as it doesn't really avoid the 2HKO so is some what pointless.

Tl;DR (Too Long Didn't read)
>

>

Nevertheless, I hope I helped and good luck with your team :]

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Reflect Type

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak / No Item
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird / Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Hi. I'm on mobile right now and therefore can't do much until later. I would recommend Heatran over Ferrothorn. You already have solid defensive walls in Slowbro and Garchomp and I think you could use a SpDef Heatran set over Ferrothorn. It resists the same things that you want Ferrothorn to and is also a solid Lati@s and Clefable check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)