My First Team

Alright I've just been getting back into Pokemon and threw this team together and it's been working alright so far.
At a glance:

This team focuses on supporting Dragonite by giving him Rapid Spin coverage, getting Stealth Rocks up for him, and removing his counters. I lead with Mamoswine, which is pretty much guaranteed to get Stealth Rocks up and has some nice synergy with Endeavor + Ice Shard. Scizor functions as a scout and revenge killer, forcing him to show me his team and picking off what I cane before sweeping with Dragonite or Heatran.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snowcloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
Moves:
-Endeavor
This is pretty self-explanatory when using Focus Sash. I try to take a full hit then use this in combination with Ice Shard for a surprise kill.
-Earthquake
Mamoswine's most powerful move. With 130 base atk and 100 power this packs a punch against anything not immune.
-Stealth Rock
With Focus Sash I'm pretty much guaranteed to get Stealth Rocks up which is very helpful for getting some residual damage going.
-Ice Shard
This move is very helpful considering Mamoswine's mediocre speed, it can be used to get some slight damage before death as well.

Why I use this pokemon:
This is my suicide lead, the idea is to get up Stealth Rock ASAP and survive an OHKO with Focus Sash. If I can outspend the opposing lead I'll endeavor and switch to Scizor for a quick kill but if I can't I'll Ice Shard or switch. Faster leads such as Infernape tend to be my biggest problem.

Metagross @ Life Orb
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spa)
-Agility
Metagross has pretty lousy speed, so after an Agility things can go a lot smoother without having to worry about being beaten down by a faster Poke.
-Meteor Mash
Obvious for Metagross. Very strong base power coupled with Metagross' massive attack leads to some punishment for just about anything.
-Earthquake
Great for countering Tyranitar or something that would counter Metagross.
-Explosion
This is Metagross' last ditch effort to get some more damage on the table, usually OHKO'ing anything that doesn't resist it.

Why I use this pokemon:
Metagross is mostly used to cause as much damage to the opponent as he can utilizing Agility to get hits off first and resorting to Explosion as a last-ditch effort. Haven't had too many issues regarding this Poke yet.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Atk
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Bullet Punch
A very strong move paired with Technician. With high power and priority it can be lethal, while also checking counters such as Terrakion or Dragonite.
-Pursuit
I don't use this as often since it's usually not a great idea to lock yourself into this, but if I'm quite certain he'll switch out I'll go ahead and try this.
-Superpower
This is so helpful when faced with a Snorlax or Blissey trying to wall me.
-U-turn
I often abuse this to get some extra damage on something before switching out to a better counter.

Why I use this pokemon:
Typical Scizor setup. I use him as my revenge killer and he's also an awesome scout since he can sweep a team pretty easily unless a counter is brought in. He's also very helpful downing opposing Tyranitar which counters most of my team.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Speed / 252 SpA
Timid Nature (+SpA, -SpD)
-Ice Beam
One of Starmie's most useful attacks, great for checking grass counters or killing anything that threatens Dragonite.
-Rapid Spin
Pretty simple, use it to get rid of Stealth Rocks for Dragonite.
-Hydro Pump
Obvious, very strong STAB move to kill something with.
-Thunderbolt
Often I'll have people try to wall me with a bulkier water Poke (e.g. Vaporeon), this deals with that quite effectively.

Why I use this pokemon:
Primarily used for paving the way for Dragonite, getting Stealth Rock out of the way and eliminating Dragonite's potential counters.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
-Earth Power
Primarily for killing an opposing Heatran or Tyranitar. Doesn't see a lot of use outside of that.
-Flamethrower
Strong STAB move, I prefer it over Fire Blast for consistency and PP if I need to be spamming it at all.
-Explosion
Works much like Metagross, it's Heatran's last-ditch effort to to some damage before it dies.
-Hidden Power Electric
Love this move. Not many people expect you to be running with it so it's clutch for killing anything not prepared (Gyrados).

Why I use this pokemon:
This guy's a lot of fun to use, he's tasked with the same thing Metagross is, doing the most damage possible before Explosion. HP electric is really nifty if a Gyrados or other water/flying types switch in to counter me.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, - SpA)
-Dragon Dance
The most crucial part of this moveset, I aim for a DDance, then sweep with Outrage.
-Outrage
As stated above, it's used in conjuncture with DDance for some ridiculous damage.
-Fire Punch
Haven't met much use with this yet, only had a few instances where I downed a Jirachi with it.
-Roost
Self-explanatory, I use it to stay alive!

Why I use this pokemon:
My primary sweeper. The idea is to have Starmie get rid of Stealth Rock, switch this guy in to something that can't hurt it too badly, get a Dragon Dance in and sweep with Outrage. Lum berry is for any potential status threats (burn/sleep) or curing confusion from Outrage.

Alright so I lead with Mamoswine (obviously) to get Stealth Rock up and try to get an Endeavor + Ice Shard out before I die as well, but all in all he's a suicide lead. Scizor is my revenge killer with some nice Bullet Punches/U-turns, more of a hit-and-run tactic while using him. Stamie is mostly used for Rapid Spinning for Dragonite, but also useful for clearing Dragonite's way further by eliminating opposing Dragonite/Flygon/anything with Ice Beam. Heatran and Metagross are mostly backup or doing as much possible hurt to the other team as possible (Explosion works very nicely for this).

Special thanks to Motagua for helping me out with this thread!

Anyway, I'm pretty new to this whole thing but would love some advice, thanks!

Also, if I need to add anything please let me know! This is my first time doing this.

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey,

Multiscale > Inner Focus is a change you absolutely need to make, in order to to abuse Roost. I'll add more to this when you finish writing the RMT.

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
You must describe the role and purpose of every pokemon in the team, otherwise a mod might lock this thread. When you describe what the pokemon does in your team, be sure not to mention descriptions or stuff already covered by Smogon analysises. You might want to see my first RMT, Wreck and Destroy, to see an example of an attractive RMT and descriptions (mostwanted helped me a lot with editing!)

You might also want to make it more appealing by adding different fonts, text, etc. Although this is optional, animated sprites always catch the attention of people, so try this page: http://sprites.pokecheck.org

Once you are done, I will give a full rate :).

You must describe the role and purpose of every pokemon in the team, otherwise a mod might lock this thread. When you describe what the pokemon does in your team, be sure not to mention descriptions or stuff already covered by Smogon analysises. You might want to see my first RMT, Wreck and Destroy, to see an example of an attractive RMT and descriptions (mostwanted helped me a lot with editing!)

You might also want to make it more appealing by adding different fonts, text, etc. Although this is optional, animated sprites always catch the attention of people, so try this page: http://sprites.pokecheck.org

Once you are done, I will give a full rate :).
I'll get right to it, thanks!

The only issue I see is with your Heatran. Instead of making it Explode like your Metagross (which isn't that good a plan considering the Choice Scarf), I would make it a Choice Specs of Choice Scarfer with Fire Blast, Earth Power, HP Ice, and Dragon Pulse / Flash Cannon.

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
You might want to put a threatlist or at least a short descriptions of your counters. Neverless Im glad my adviced helped regarding to editing and, as I promised, now I will rate your team.

The team is balanced, but you got serious issues with Rain teams and Specs Politoad. Because Starmie is not bulky enough to take its hits, and Dragonite is forced to lose MS, it will definitely OHKO/2HKO anything in your team. To add more, Turn/Switch cores tear apart this team with the constant scouting of Scizor + Rotom-W. To solve this problem, I will suggest to use a Bulky Nasty Plot Celebi instead of Metagross who does not really helps your team. With an outstanding Special Attack, good resistances and excellent Defenses, Celebi has plenty of oportunities to switch into Rain teams, proceed to Nasty Plot, Recover lost damage if necesary, and wreck them. Also with HP Fire and Giga Drain, Celebi destroys Turn/Switch cores as Scizor & Rotom-W will be OHKO´d respectively. Considering both of these pokemons are checks to DD Dragonite, it will definitely ease Dragonite´s sweep.

Celebi @ Leftovers Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 240 SAtk / 36 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

My second recomendation is to replace Roost for Extremespeed. Scarf Landorus is an important member of Turn/Switch cores (especially in Sand teams), and Extremespeed will pick him off if it is weakened or MS is still active.

My final recomendation is to drop Explosion in Heatran and replace it for Dragon Pulse, and change its nature to Timid. Explosion is a move that got nerfed in 5th gen (It doesnt halves the opponent´s Defense anymore), and Dragon Pulse will hit Lati@s and Dragonite for super-effective damage.

Hope my rate helps and nice solid team you made :).

Hey there,
Your team has great typing synergy and I agree completely with inanimate blob's post of changing your Heatran to Specs. However, you do happen to have a problem with Magnezone. It can trap in Scizor and Heatran (if you've locked yourself into HP Electric) and proceed to KO them. I can't really recommend anything as far as movesets considering your team is quite solid as it is, all I suggest is to avoid getting your steel-types trapped (it can also give Metagross some problems if it's at low health and Magnezone's on an Air Balloon), so try not to use HP Electric unless the opponent's Magnezone (if they have one) is already KO'ed.

Other than that, I think you've done a good job with the team, and good luck!

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You might want to put a threatlist or at least a short descriptions of your counters. Neverless Im glad my adviced helped regarding to editing and, as I promised, now I will rate your team.

The team is balanced, but you got serious issues with Rain teams and Specs Politoad. Because Starmie is not bulky enough to take its hits, and Dragonite is forced to lose MS, it will definitely OHKO/2HKO anything in your team. To add more, Turn/Switch cores tear apart this team with the constant scouting of Scizor + Rotom-W. To solve this problem, I will suggest to use a Bulky Nasty Plot Celebi instead of Metagross who does not really helps your team. With an outstanding Special Attack, good resistances and excellent Defenses, Celebi has plenty of oportunities to switch into Rain teams, proceed to Nasty Plot, Recover lost damage if necesary, and wreck them. Also with HP Fire and Giga Drain, Celebi destroys Turn/Switch cores as Scizor & Rotom-W will be OHKO´d respectively. Considering both of these pokemons are checks to DD Dragonite, it will definitely ease Dragonite´s sweep.

Celebi @ Leftovers Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 240 SAtk / 36 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

My second recomendation is to replace Roost for Extremespeed. Scarf Landorus is an important member of Turn/Switch cores (especially in Sand teams), and Extremespeed will pick him off if it is weakened or MS is still active.

My final recomendation is to drop Explosion in Heatran and replace it for Dragon Pulse, and change its nature to Timid. Explosion is a move that got nerfed in 5th gen (It doesnt halves the opponent´s Defense anymore), and Dragon Pulse will hit Lati@s and Dragonite for super-effective damage.

Hope my rate helps and nice solid team you made :).
Do everything here.

Hey there,
Your team has great typing synergy and I agree completely with inanimate blob's post of changing your Heatran to Specs. However, you do happen to have a problem with Magnezone. It can trap in Scizor and Heatran (if you've locked yourself into HP Electric) and proceed to KO them. I can't really recommend anything as far as movesets considering your team is quite solid as it is, all I suggest is to avoid getting your steel-types trapped (it can also give Metagross some problems if it's at low health and Magnezone's on an Air Balloon), so try not to use HP Electric unless the opponent's Magnezone (if they have one) is already KO'ed.

Other than that, I think you've done a good job with the team, and good luck!
This is true, make sure to play careful if Magnezone is around.

I feel like you may have been looking at the DPP section of smogon when you made this team (you even used gen 4 sprites).

Explosion's damage was cut in half for gen V, so it's really not a viable move. It doesn't take out heattran's regular counters anymore, so there's not much point in using it. Also, the time of the suicide lead has come and gone. With Mamoswine as your lead, you will probably just get counter-lead by scizor (or someone similar) and 2HKO'd by bullet punch as you set up 1 measly entry hazard.

your EVs for scizor make no sense... 252 atk/248 atk? what?

Your dragonite isn't really bulky enough to really abuse roost. You should probably use the bulky dragon dance spread from dnite's smogon page, 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spe.

You should replace explosion with steath rocks on metagross, and throw out mamoswine entirely...you can go with a nasty plot celebi as Motagua said, or roll with landorus if you want to keep a powerful ground type pokemon. You don't really have to worry about having 2 4x ice weaknesses, since every other pokemon on your team resists ice.

Just wanted to point out for this RMT that I as well love our loverboy "Starmie" as well but in your team I do not think he is really neccessary. Of course it is important to rapid spin away entry hazards for pokemon that are weak to it but not only for one poke in your team "dragonite". All your other teammembers are not affected so hard by stealth rocks (3 steel types and the other two are neutral damage). If you would run at least one more poke that has a weakness to stealth rock e.g. volcarona than starmie would make sense but in your scenario it isn't so I would replace it with something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)