ORAS OU My First Team.

Edit : Since I didn't have 4 sentences about my pokemon, I want to thank you for a certain user for telling me to edit my thread.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Foul Play
- Brick Break

After a few fights in the OU Tier, Almost 60% of my games had Bisharp in it. I wanted to have a Bisharp in my team, Since I want to catch up on most of the players. Bisharp is essentially one of my favorite pokemon that can counter fairy types. I also love steel types, And most of my parties at least have one steel type on my party.

Bisharp for me is a late game sweeper, Most of the games I saw have them using life orb. I wanted to be a bit different , And I asked for help and most of the people I asked said I should run Black Glasses If I wanted a more Knock Off Bisharp.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

I chose Milotic for the Physical Capabilities, I read some of Smogons forums, And I saw more Physical Wall Milotics than SpD wall Milotics. With Protect in her pool, I can land a miscalculated Scald when they think I'm gonna go with Protect (Due to Protect being a major dissapointment after it's turn ends, I mostly go with Recover and then Protect.) I normally use Toxic once I switch out to Milotic and then use Protect. I wanted to make Milotic have offensive capabilities other than defensive capabilities, Normally because She is my favorite water type.

Milotic is a beauty and I normally spare Milotics when I end up sweeping the entire enemy team and force my enemy to just forfeit when I face their Milotics, But most of the players I see using Milotic are pretty strong ones and I normally lose.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

For Ferrothorn, I wanted to replace Leftovers with helmets rather than leftovers. It would make a rather great combination with Iron barbs (Pretty obvious). The Problem for me with Ferrothorn is how easily they could intercept that I'm going to throw in Ferrothorn rather than my Milotic. I normally see a Talonflame whenever I throw Ferrothorn first and not my Milotic, And this gives me an advantage (They'd think that I am going to throw in Ferrothorn but rather I go with Milotic when they have a Talonflame.)

Talonflame is it's major weakness, (100% HP Ferrothorn vs 252 Atk 252 Spe Talonflame = Flare Blitz = OHKO) I hate fire types due to that. Ferrothorn is already a good pokemon but the critical fire weakness hurts him to the bones (If he has bones.)

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Secret Sword

Keldeo is more of a sweeper for me than a revenge killer. It took me about a day just to think of what sets I should ride with him. Although, I wanted a pretty bulky sweeper for Keldeo. Keldeo is rather squishy for me (Due to the fact that a single Psyshock from Gothitelle Killed him once). But regarding everything else, Keldeo is a great pokemon competetively and a pretty fast pokemon combined.

However, Keldeo is my least pokemon on the list. Most of the Pokemon I fought in the OU Tier were consisted of strong steel types, Bulky SpD walls and some Pokemon Quicker than him. I wanted to replace him for another sweeper but I will wait for other people to recommend more Pokemon in replace for him.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hammer Arm

I wanted a 0 Spe Ev at this one, I already liked his base speed, But I decided it would be better if I added than one single point for the last time just to be sure. Landorus-Therian is already a great pokemon on it's own, It single-handedly sweeped an entire team when I watched a battle in youtube. Landorus-Therian is my Anti-Attackers, With intimidate lowering their atk's. I normally U-Turn whenever this comes up. Sometime before, I started off with him rather than my Ferrothorn.

Landorus isn't that strong when it comes to some water types and I died when I faced a SpA Rotom Wash with a critical Hydro Pump. Somehow Landorus managed to survive crit attacks from other Water Type Pokemon like Vaporeon and Milotic.

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond

Gallade fills my mega spot, Gallade is one of the fighting pokemon who love Psychic types. With it's great typing. The Offensive Fighting Type is now a balanced type. I added Destiny bond to ensure a win once a Pokemon (Like Talonflame and other flying type pokemon) Remains and Gallade can't beat that certain pokemon. I normally D-Bond that pokemon and then die after the turn I used D-Bond. Ice Punch is also there for that reason, But most of the time Talon flame comes up, I failed to set up Steal Rocks and then decide to just D-Bond it.

Gallade is another Physical Sweeper and more of a Last resort pokemon for me. Most of the people I see ask me "Why Run D-Bond" They probably don't understand, But I am willing to change it.

Thank you again for reminding me to put 4 sentences describing my pokemon.

I also would like to thank Fireflame for reminding me to put bold characters when choosing a role

Team Problems :

- Fairy Counters
- Some Pokemon are slow
- Some Pokemon could be replaced

I would love it if you guys gave me opinions on how to improve my team to the max :)

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Considering it is your first team, you did a pretty good job on picking out the Pokémon you wanted. However, the roles are not exactly on point with what is best. As a reference for you, words in bold (excluding the subtitles) indicate changes or suggestions to your original Pokémon details.

Bisharp:
Your Bisharp needs some work. First off, NEVER use the items that increase a certain move type by 1.2x. Black Glasses is one of those items and should be replaced immediately since you mentioned Bisharp is your physical sweeper. Replace it with a Life Orb to increase damage of ALL of its moves (the expense of HP is worth it every sweeper gets this item). To be on the safe side, you could always go with Leftovers for recovery or a Lum Berry so that nothing will interrupt your set-ups. Secondly, your set up move is not very good. Hone Claws does improve attack, but by only one stage. It also improves accuracy, but this benefit is useless since all of your damaging moves have 100% accuracy. Since Hone Claws is better for sweepers with moves of lower accuracy, DEFINATELY replace it with Swords Dance. This boosts your attack by 2 stages and is just way better than Hone Claws for Bisharp.

Furthermore, some of the moves are not that strong. Foul Play is a move that does bonus damage based on the ENEMY'S attack, not yours. Foul Play is better for wall/stall Pokémon to do more damage against set-up sweepers (such as Sableye or Klefki). You can replace Foul Play with Night Slash which is a better move considering Bisharp's role. However, even Night Slash is not that adequate since Knock Off is Bisharp's best move. Therefore, replace Foul Play with Iron Head, a great STAB move that has offensive Fairy coverage which your team lacks (Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn isn't really the number one counter to Fairies).

Brick Break is great coverage but normally people run Sucker Punch for priority and more kill potential. However, this is only a menial suggestion and you can certainly keep Brick Break if you want to.

Bisharp: Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP or 4 Def
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch / Brick Break
- Swords Dance

Milotic:
Your Milotic is decent. However, I feel Milotic will be better as a special wall instead of a physical wall. Ferrothorn can be a way better physical wall than Milotic and Milotic can be a way better special wall than Ferrothorn. Therefore, I suggest you switch Milotic to a Special Defense set with 252 SpD, 252 HP, and 4 Speed EVs with a Calm Nature. The speed EVs will allow you to out-speed other Milotic you happen to come across and that benefit is better than increasing your Special Attack by 1. The rest is fine. However, you should STRONGLY consider the move Ice Beam on Milotic. It is a bread-and-butter move on it and if you want it, you could replace Protect with Ice Beam since Milotic has Recover and Leftovers to recover. Also, Dragon Tail can be a good option to delete the stat changes sweepers will have when they start setting up. Toxic is fine. The ability Marvel Scale will indirectly make her a dual-wall which is another benefit that Special Defense Milotic has.

As another tip: put 0 IVs in attack so you take as little damage as possible from Foul Play.

Milotic: Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
-
Scald
- Ice Beam
-
Recover
- Toxic / Dragon Tail

Ferrothorn:
I think that Ferrothorn is better as a physical wall than a special wall. I have a Ferrothorn on my OU team and this team got to about 1500 on the ELO, so I know Ferrothorn quite a lot. Therefore, change Ferrothorn to a physical that has some Special Defense investment with 252 HP, 176 Def, and 80 SpD EVs with a Relaxed Nature. This is my Ferrothorn EV spread and it works insanely well. Definately keep the 0 IVs in Speed for maximum damage potential on Gyro Ball (A Ferrothorn that is paralyzed will do about 85-95% damage on Tyranitar with 2 Dragon Dances).

You have Ferrothorn as a special wall so you can survive Hidden Power Fires from Latios and Latias. However, with 252+ SpD, you die in 2 Hidden Power Fires to both of them. With my EV spread, you will still die in 2 Hidden Power Fires to Latias, and Latios' Hidden Power Fire will have a 18%-19% chance to one-hit KO. As you can see, the 252+ special defense investment is sort of a waste because it doesn't change the survivability of Latias and it doesn't change the survivability of Latios that much (81%-82% chance to live). Plus, in my experience Latios rarely have HP Fire (they usually have Dragon Pulse, Psyshock, Surf, and Thunderbolt for me). Furthermore, since Milotic will be your special wall, it will resist HP Fire - which is the sole reason why you had Ferrothorn for a special wall in the first place. When it all boils down to it, it is more worthwhile to make Ferrothorn a physical wall with only some investment in special defense.

Sorry that was so long - I probably over-explained. Anyway, since you have Leech Seed for your recovery, you should replace Leftovers with Rocky Helmet. Rocky Helmet synergizes extremely well with Ferrothorn's ability: a physical attack (which you will absorb easily) will damage the opponent by 29% of their maximum health. Ferrothorn's item and ability can potentially do more damage to the opponent than the opponent did to you. And remember, that 29% wasn't even including your moves. Pair that with Leech Seed and your opponent will lose ~42% of their maximum HP, which is INSANE. If you want to be even more overkill, replace Thunder Wave with Spikes for more entry hazards. This is my Ferrothorn set I've been using with great success:

Ferrothorn: Rocky Helmet
Relaxed NatureEVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpDIVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Keldeo:
Good job with Keldeo! He is perfect. Instead of Hidden Power Ice, I've seen a lot of Keldeos use Hidden Power Electric to hit Gyarados and Azumarill for super-effective damage. However, I think Hidden Power Ice is better. Also, replacing Surf with Scald is my only suggestion, but even then it really doesn't matter. Put 0 IVs in Attack to minimize damage from Foul Play.

Landorus-Therian: (By the way, you have the wrong form of Landorus for your picture)
Landorus-Therian is pretty good. You are using the regular defensive-pivot Landorus-Therian. It usually runs Stealth Rock, but you replaced it with Hammer Arm. Now, you have a defensive EV spread with 4 attacking moves. I would recommend changing the 252 Defense EVs into 252 Atk EVs as well as putting a Naughty Nature. That way, your attack will be 427 and you will have almost 400 HP, so Landorus will be able to do a lot of damage while having some bulk to survive. However, your team can barely handle Ferrothorn, so you can replace Hammer Arm with Hidden Power Fire for more damage against it.

Landorus-Therian: Leftovers
Naughty NatureEVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Hidden Power Fire

Gallade:
Your Gallade needs a little work. First off, putting Swords Dance on it is essential as it turns Mega-Gallade into a huge threat for the enemy team. Get rid of Knock-Off because you have that with STAB on Bisharp. Next, Destiny Bond is not the best option for Gallade, especially Mega Gallade. Destiny Bond is used for non-sweeper Pokémon. A MEGA Pokémon that is a great sweeper should not have Destiny Bond. Replace it with Psycho Cut, which is an ESSENTIAL STAB move on Gallade and definitely its best move other than Close Combat. I prefer Psycho Cut over Zen Headbutt because Psycho Cut has increased accuracy and critical hit chance.

Now I know why you want Ice Punch - to hit flying types. However, your team has 3 Pokémon to deal with them. Also, you can use better coverage moves against Mega Metagross and Mega Slowbro. Swapping out Ice Punch for Earthquake, Thunder Punch, Night Slash, Leaf Blade, or Shadow Sneak can be worthwhile options. Thunder Punch lets you hit Mega Slowbro, Gyarados, Azumarill, and flying types. Earthquake is for Mega Metagross and also an amazing coverage move. Night Slash can hit both of them and pairs up with Psycho Cut nicely. Leaf Blade is to hit Mega Slowbro and provides good coverage as well. Shadow Sneak, on the other hand, allows priority against weak opponents that are faster than you. The last move is a hard choice - I would go for Earthquake, Shadow Sneak, or Thunder Punch. I would also replace the jolly nature with an Adamant Nature for more power (471 Atk vs 429 Atk).

Mega-Gallade: Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Thunder Punch / Shadow Sneak

Well, I spent an hour and a half on this. I hope this helps and good luck on your team!!:toast::toast:
- Sprites: http://www.pkparaiso.com/xy/sprites_pokemon.php

-Fireflame479

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Please read the RMT Rules before making a thread.
You need at least 3-4 sentences describing each of your Pokemon.
If these rules aren't followed, this post will get locked by a moderator.
Until then, I will not rate the team until you fulfill the terms.

I tested out the team you gave me and it was pretty solid, I loved how every Sylveon,Clefable and Wigglytuff I see is OHKO'D. I love the changes and I couldn't argue less.

Although, I'd love to hear some more opinions to make up my mind

Last edited:
How about Milotic with

Milotic@Leftovers
Marvel Scale
Specially Defensive
Rest
Scald
Ice Beam/Sleep Talk/Dragon Tail
Ice Beam/Sleep Talk/Dragon Tail

Radio_Active I tried that set and every combination, Worked quite well and I didn't have any particular problems with it. I love the Rest + Sleep Talk Combo. But even though it has some flaws for me. With Rest on, I am quite vulnerable even with sleep talk on (Ex. Rest Talk = Scald vs Water Absorb Lapras. etc) That is what I am pretty scared of. But other than that, The set is pretty good for mid game (My opinion)

The problem with running a Rest+Sleep Talk set is that CM Suicune does everything Milotic does and better. Milotic is one of my favorites design-wise, though!

I'm in favor of a physically defensive spread, just because the OU metagame is so heavily physical.

For Gallade I would run:

Mega-Gallade: Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt / Psycho Cut / Ice Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Jolly is crucial for speed ties. Zen Headbutt or Psycho Cut is really up to you (power vs accuracy, the neverending debate). Knock Off is amazing utility and Close Combat rounds out its coverage options. If you want to predict incoming Landorus-T you can consider Ice Punch over either of the psychic type moves.

I'd consider these changes as well:

Landorus-Therian: Leftovers
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn: Shed Shell
Relaxed Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Protect / Power Whip
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Protect on Ferro can help with Leech Seed recovery, as well as scouting for High Jump Kicks from M Lopunny. Power Whip is an option for hitting the likes of M Gyarados, M Swampert, etc. I gave rocks to Landorus as well. Shed Shell on Ferro lets it escape from Magnezone, which is 1. everywhere and 2. hits Keldeo, Ferrothorn, Bisharp and Milotic very hard with Thunderbolt and HP Fire. Ferro can put lots of pressure on opposing teams to use Defog with spikes, giving your Bisharp a free boost upon switching in to the Defog. Bulky Landorus-T still hits very hard without investment and gives you a solid check for the likes of Talonflame, which can otherwise smash through the team.

Last edited:
I actually seem to have a liking to these changes, Ferrothorn now actually survives till the end of the battle.

Landorus can now hit very hard
And
Mega Gallade can now outspeed other hasty Pokemon

I'm keeping the change on Ferrothorn, I chose Protect to help the leech seed grow to it's final potential.

I haven't made up my mind on the other changes, I'm not yet sure and I'm still looking for more replies and opinions about my team and how to improve it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)