My First (usable) Team (Baton Pass)

(I should really go introduce myself after this. It's not polite to just skip straight to asking things like this.)

Alright. I tried to make a team Baton Pass based around being able to pass a tremendous boost easily to a second sweeper if my first sweeper could not get its boosts, and being able to set up the first sweeper again if that failed. Keeping two options available. It works - while running into some problems common to this gen's baton pass teams. The thing is, I am SURE I can streamline what I'm using six pokemon for down to five or four, and have counters to things like Pranksters and Entry hazard users.

The team:
Yamame (Ninjask) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Sunny Day

A basic lead Ninjask set. SD first turn unless I'm against Tyranitar or Hippowdown (Sunny Day if I am), protect the second turn, and then Pass +2 speed and +2 attack. I'm thinking of getting rid of this for espeon, somehow, just to prevent entry hazards. I have experimented, but I'm not sure if I want to eliminate that +2 speed just for existing and +1 for every switch in.

Yuyuko (Gengar) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is actually the "Plan B." If things aren't going well, Volbeat passes a +3 SpA to Gengar, who *usually* rips everything to shreds. I'm not considering replacing this, but if there's a better Specially-based threat, I'm all ears. This is used over Chandelure because of Levitate, which I REALLY like. It really has saved me a few times.

Rinnosuke (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Spore
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Mean Look (No idea what to put here, ML is useless here)

Smeargle. Of course! But he doesn't have ingrain. I switch to Smeargle if Ninjask is okay, and spore the opponent (I'm ALWAYS faster). I then use tail glow and hope the other guy doesn't wake up. If they don't, I BP to Lucario. I've usually won in that instance. I really need a suggestion for the fourth move slot. I'm thinking that if I use Espeon, I can put shell smash instead of Tail Glow, so I can set up my Lucario in one move.

Wriggle (Volbeat) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Tail Glow
- Thunder Wave
- Encore

Volbeat is the other part of plan B. I switch this in after one of my own die, priority Tail Glow, priority Baton Pass to Gengar, and rip everything. I really don't want to change this. It's definitely a better Tail Glow passer than Smeargle, but can't be BPed to as it can't take hits like that, so it justifies Smeargle's use for Tail Glow here.

Aya (Gligar) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Baton Pass
- Taunt
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Gligar is here in case Smeargle somehow dies. I send out Gligar, RP and SD, and BP to Lucario to try and do a physical only sweep. This is the other thing I'm SERIOUSLY considering replacing with something. I'm tempted to do Gliscor @ Mental Herb to Taunt Pranksters, but no one Taunts Gliscor anyhow, as every support Gliscor is an Eviolite Gligar. That also sacrifices so much bulk it's not even funny. I'm also thinking Gorebyss, as it can just Shell Smash and BP and it does the same thing. I could even stick White Herb on it to keep the little bulk Lucario has! But then Pranksters... yeah.

Meiling (Lucario) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 148 Atk / 108 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Vacuum Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Punch

This thing rips things HARD. Seriously, if the chain gets off (which it does half the time) then Lucario has at LEAST half the team down. And yet... it's a bit frail. So it might not be the most durable thing, and if it gets hit by priority it can no longer sweep the entire team due to life orb. Maybe Garchomp would be better, mabye Metagross or something... But the resistance to Bullet Punch and Extremespeed is fun.

Threat List (This is a bit big):
Entry Hazards (Nothing learns Rapid Spin + Baton Pass except smeargle, who would be needing it)
Pranksters (Espeon would solve this)
Sand Stream teams (Espeon does NOT solve this, but Ninjask does. Sigh...)

I know it's not the BEST team, but I've been managing to do decently with it. I've tried a few of my changes, but I'm not sure which is better. Thanks for commenting!
(Yes I know BP isn't great this gen so if I'm really down a dead end tell me)
(Oh and if you do suggest a new Pokemon, if you know Touhou and can name a Touhou character to go with the Pokemon you get extra special brownie points)

Have as your lead: Focus Sash -Shell Smash, Baton Pass, Spore, Endeavor Smeargle, whom can Baton Pass to Lucario. Shell Smash first turn, Spore 2nd turn, Endeavor third turn (1 HP) on the switch-in, and Baton Pass to Lucario.

Have Voltbeat as your Back-up with Focus Sash, Baton Pass Tailglow to Espeon with Psyshock, Grass Knot, Hidden Power Fire, Baton Pass. The ability makes up for the weak movepool, and ends any Taunt.

Have a last resort recipient in Porygon2 holding the Eviolite, so it can special sweep, while taking a hit. Ice Beam, T-bolt, Recover, Thunderwave. Make it bulky as it is there to get boosts, and take hits, not sweep on its own, but rather wear down the foe.

Have a self-sufficient sweeper like Shell Smash Cloyster, whom breaks walls, and packs priority, and breaks through Substitutes. This is your back-up comeback.

Cloyster:

Shell Smash
Rock Blast
Ice Shard
Icicle Spear / Hydro Pump

I like that idea... But I'm not thrilled with the inevitable outcome of smeargle vs Tyranitar. (Smeargle was buffeted by the sand!) Would I just endeavor there? And then if smeargle dies, what do I do with Lucario?
Meh, I could probably still revenge kill something with it. I'll switch out Gengar with Porygon2, and switch gligar with cloyster. And I guess Ninjask with Espeon, although I'm not sure of the purpose. Just a first, more powerful but less bulky special attacker? Sounds pretty solid, actually. But thanks for the ideas!

I cool baton pass idea might be:

gorebyss @ petaya berry with shellsmash baton pass and substitute
or smeargle with a similar setup.

You could baton pass + 3/+ 2/+2 to a simple (DW ability) swoobat and steamroll with stored power.

Anything with roar, dragon tail, or whirlwind will stop your baton pass chain cold. Two things stop this on a baton passing team: Mr. Mime's soundproof and Smeargle's ingrain. (which coincidentally fills your last move slot) I know you already kind of addressed it in your post, but phazing moves are still out there.

I also noticed you don't pass any defensive moves. Overall, lucario and genera have pretty weak defenses so you may want to consider passing substitute or acid armor Vaporeon. Calm mind and Mr. Mime are also possibilities as you can stop them cold with encore and bp into something that resists to continue your chain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)