My Gassy-centric Team

Greetings Smogon's OU V Gen Rate My Team Subforum~! Let us keep this introduction short: I am not exactly new to competitive battling, but I am far from a veteran as well. It has always been my personal philosophy that one should be able to play with his or her favorite pokemon, as there really would be no point in doing so otherwise. With that, I decided to create a team centered around my all-time favorite pokemon, Gastrodon. (And if it means anything, I managed to get to page 18 of the Smogon leaderboard with it through only playing a few times a day.)

Team Building Process

Obviously we begin with the entire point of my team. Our centerpiece, Gassy.

Aww, isn't he cute? But that squishy face and triple puppy-dog eyes will end anyone who is unprepared. Anyway, we notice an immediate problem with Gastrodon in Grass-types. Naturally, the next step is to select Pokemon that could easily eliminate them. Therefore, I employed the two best Pokemon in the business for such a task: Scizor and Heatran.​

At this point, I thought that some weather could help me wear down other teams while other weather may be quite a problem, especially fast and powerful Grass-types. I also thought that another Pursuit-user could be handy in dealing with pesky Celebi's. Tyranitar seemed like a very welcome addition to the team.​

Now I noticed that Fighting and Ground attacks could ruin the purpose of the nice supporters of the cause. In fact, they are a big concern at this point. The lack of a Water-resist, also a very common attacking type, did not bring me much comfort either. But then I remembered one of my favorite Pokemon in terms of being used in combination with Gassy, whose ability helped it tank hits and set up much better during Gen VI, and it fit the set of resistances I was looking to patch. With an "Eh, why not?" I gladly welcomed an old pal by the name of Gyarados.​

The team was looking quite well-rounded, but one more slot remained. At this point, I needed something that would help further cover this team's common weaknesses. I had decided that I would gladly try anything that could resist Water, Grass, Ground, Rock, and Fighting. Although a lot of Dragons fit the role, I also felt that having a Grass-type would be very useful in terms of both attack and defense, and the promise of a Fire/Water/Grass core looked too good to pass up. I also prefered something that could keep up momentum and provide another 'trick' up my sleeve. Although my next choice resists neither Fightning nor Rock, I decided that Rotom - Cut would be perfect for the job. I could not be happier with the decision.​

With my team member dynamics set, I was ready to refine their roles for the ultimate task: Assisting Gassy by any means necessary.​

The Team:

Gassy's Five

Iwagama @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Nature: Calm
~ Lava Plume
~ Roar
~ Stealth Rock
~ Protect​

This is typically my lead. I cannot remember where I saw this, but I was intrigued by the idea of a Specially-Defensive Heatran, so I tried it. It really has exceeded all expectations, as many Special Attackers try to get the advantage on her, but she simply sets up Stealth Rock and Roars away most things unfavorable to her or the greater good. Protect for scouting and Leftovers recovery and Lava Plume for the high chance of Burn, which is very useful. Her typing is an important pivot in my defense system, and her versitility makes her a threat to most anyone who sees her. Needless to say, her STAB Fire attack is important for roasting certain things, especially the Grass.​

Crab-chan @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant
~ Bullet Punch
~ Pursuit
~ U-Turn
~ Superpower​

Things are rather standard here. I would have loved to use Durant here since the typing and coverage are so important to the team, but the momentum of U-Turn (which happens to be Super Effective against Grass, which is quite important) and the priority in Bullet Punch make Scizor a necessary member (although I admit I am all ears for any suggestions as to other things to replace her).

Bartholomew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sandstream
EV's: 4 Att / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
~ Ice Beam
~ Flamethrower
~ Stone Edge
~ Crunch​

Initially, this was a CBTar with Pursuit and Superpower being used instead of the two Special Attacks you see now. However, it did not work as well as I hoped, and I realised that I was missing two very important things in Speed and in an Ice attack (and another Fire attack to deal with pesky things is nice as well). Do not underestimate the power of this thing, as it can net or atleast secure an average of three kills per game. The surprise factor is enough to make it worthwhile, while the Speed and versitility as a revenge killer makes it amazing. Needless to say, the weather it provides is also very important.

Amaterasu @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 88 HP / 252 Att / 208 Spe
Nature: Adamant
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Earthquake
~ Taunt​

Ah, Gyarados... Intimidate and typing are two very important factors in using him, both of which I try to make as much use as I can. This set is somewhat of a classic for me, but it works. Dragon Dance puts on the pressure and could potentially provide me with a sweep. Waterfall is standard. Earthquake... I have always prefered Stone Edge over it, and I still wish I use it instead often enough, but I feel that Earthquake is much more of an asset to me in Gen V, especially if I am dealing with Ferrothorns. Taunt seems questionable, but it can really be useful, and at times, invaluable. I also like to use it as a lead when I see fit.

The EV's and Nature are mostly straightforward. The Speed... well, I figured it did not have to be max, and I remembered that 208 is a "jump point" for EV's, so I went with that.

Thriller @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Trick
~ Volt Switch
~ Shadow Ball
~ Leaf Storm​

"Wow," sums up this appliance nicely. It is admittedly not that fast, but it can be fast enough. It can also take hits quite well, especially resisted ones. However, no matter what it is doing, one thing always holds true: It mows down the competition. Choice Specs allows it to strike anything for a horrendously large amount of damage. Volt Switch keeps the momentum going as well as dealing a great amount of hurt, especially if I am predicting a switch. Leaf Storm is usually my go-to if I either want something dead immediately, the opponent's team lacks a healthy resist, or I feel my opponent will try to predict an Electric attack and switch in a Ground type. I do not find myself using Trick often at all, but its uses are there.

Regardless of the situation, Rotom - Cut does more than its fair share of work and is often vital to the team's success. Oh, and it is also a very handy lead against Rain teams.

Gassy

Gassy @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EV's: 212 HP / 208 Def / 88 SpDef
Nature: Bold
~ Stockpile
~ Recover
~ Toxic
~ Scald​

Finding my very first Shellos and training it in my team through my first journey of Sinnoh was enough to make me adore this thing. Save Speed, it seemed to deny its own base stats and instead would perform amazingly well in any of them.​

This is a favorite of mine for many reasons, but one that applies here is its ability to perform in battle. In fact, I would say that it is usually my trump card, due to that fact that, under certain not-too-uncommon conditions, this thing is simply invincible. It can defeat a surprising amount of Pokemon one-on-one, and even more opponents to ragequit out of hopelessness. The EV investment was once more Specially Defensive-based, but I believe this generation has an even greater focus on the already-great focus on physical attacks. Fifth Gen was great in providing a new toy in the form of Scald, which often results in Gassy becoming even more annoying and indestructable, especially towards those immune to Toxic. Sticky Hold over Storm Drain for the simple fact that Trick-users cannot stop this set. And believe me, they will try.​

I thank you all for taking the time to read my team profile, and hopefully you may be able to provide me with fair advice. This team is not perfect... but let us try to make it as close as it can be to that way. ^_^​

Colors will be provided later.​

Threat List

Breloom:
Blissey:
Bronzong:
Celebi:
Conkeldurr:
Deoxys-S:
Excadrill:
Ferrothorn:
Forretress:
Garchomp:
Gengar:
Gliscor:
Gyarados:
Haxorus:
Heatran:
Hydreigon:
Infernape:
Jellicent:
Jirachi:
Kingdra:
:
Kyurem:
Landlos:
Latias:
Latios:
Magnezone:
Mew:

Ninetales:
Politoed:
Reuniclus:
Rotom-W:
Salamence:
Scizor:
Scrafty:
Sigilyph:
Skarmory:
Slowbro:
Starmie:
Terrakion:
Thundurus:
Tornadus:
Tyranitar:
Victini:
Virizion:
Volcarona:

hey man has no one rated your team?????? wow, strange. I am not much of a smogonite but I'm quite a good battler and I know a good team when I see one... I especially love how most opponents wouldn't dare use water attacks on gassy, they assume you're running storm drain, in fact if I met a gastrodon first thing I'd do would be trick it a scarf! 9/10...Plus I know you like U-Turn and Bullet Punch but just wanna add something about durant: The Hustle Hone Claws set is flat out amazing... and seriously smart...
P.S.I know! This gen is just physical poke after physical poke....
P.P.S.Well done man keep going!

Hello, Dr. Eyepatch.
Your team is really solid and I don't really know what to point out as it really tries to cover most of the threats in the current metagame. The only thing I can find is that you could probably have some problems with Thundurus. THe only real check you have is your Tyranitar, so be sure you keep it safe for those occasions. I don't really know what else to say. If I think of something I'll tell you. Keep the good work! (:

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Hey Dr.Eyepatch

This is a good Team but there is some weakness very painfull. First, Excadrill. Excadrill destroy your entire Team and you can't do anything. So I'll suggest you to run Slowbro or Quagsire over Gyarados.

Slowbro@Leftovers
-Scald
-Slack Off
-Thunderwave
-Psychic
Bold 252 Hp / 252 Def / 6 SDef

Quagsire@Leftovers
-Scald
-Earthquake
-Recover
-Toxic
Relaxed 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Then, Rotom-C isn't really good in this Metagame. I'll suggest you to use the Rotom-W who is really better.

Rotom-W@Leftovers
-Will O Wisp
-Hydropump
-Volt Switch
-Pain Split
Modest 112 Hp / 252 SAtk / 144 Spe

GL with this Team !

Hello, Dr. Eyepatch.
Your team is really solid and I don't really know what to point out as it really tries to cover most of the threats in the current metagame. The only thing I can find is that you could probably have some problems with Thundurus. THe only real check you have is your Tyranitar, so be sure you keep it safe for those occasions. I don't really know what else to say. If I think of something I'll tell you. Keep the good work! (:
Gastrodon also walls Thundurus completely

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
I disagree with changing Rotom-c to Rotom-w, as Rotom-c provides you with an important 4x electric resist and coupled with Gastrodon allows you to handily defeat Rain teams. One thing I do suggest for Rotom-c though is to run Will O Wisp or Hidden Power [Fire] over Shadow Ball. Shadow Ball does very little on Rotom-a this generation without STAB and Will O Wisp is useful for crippling physical attackers that may be too powerful for Gastrodon to handle/set up on otherwise. HP Fire on the other hand provides a cool lure for Ferrothorn if rain isn't present assuming you can hit it on the switch in for a clean 2hko, and unlike Rotom-w you don't have to worry about getting OHKO'd by STAB Power Whip!

You do have a considerably large weakness to Life Orb Excadrill with Swords Dance and X Scissor, as Rotom-c is OHKO'd, as is Gyarados after Stealth Rock. Gastrodon fails to OHKO and gets a boatload of damage from Earthquake. Similarly, you don't have many switch ins to Swords Dance or Choice Band Terrakion, but you do have the luxury of being able to revenge kill with Scizor i suppose (although with SR down Gyara can't switch in).

If you find yourself using Scizor's priority very often, you can ignore this suggestion. But otherwise, Skarmory provides a solid switch into a number of physical attackers such as Excadrill and Haxorus. Terrakion has few counters outside of Gliscor (who is OHKO'd by LO Stone Edge after a Swords Dance and SR damage/any prior damage) and Golurk, who is rarely seen, but assuming it does not get a Rock Polish boost you can handily revenge kill with Scizor. Skarmory provides you with another phazer outside of Heatran as well as Spike support for all of Gyara/Tyranitars grounded switch ins, which will make sweeping late game even easier.

This is a pretty awesome team though i had trouble finding weaks and trouble making suggestions because i didnt want to open any weaknesses up! gj :toast:

Cool team, but have you considered using Ferrothorn in Rotom-C's place? It has similar typing but superior bulk and it also lays Spikes, which your team abuses very well with its great defensive synergy forcing switches / Heatran's Roar / Scizor's U-turn. Leech Seed will also provide some recovery to the rest of your team, making it even harder for an opponent to break your defenses.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Careful | EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Spikes | Leech Seed | Protect | Power Whip

If you do this, I highly recommend using a bulky ResTalk Gyarados over your current set; it abuses multiple hazards extremely well and handles the two threats your team struggles with the most, Terrakion / Excadrill. An Impish nature, an EV spread of 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def, and a moveset of Waterfall / Dragon Tail / Rest / Sleep Talk should be sufficient. Just a few things to consider, good team and good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)