Other My Main PU Team

Hello, my name is zShadow and this is my first RMT. Please help me out with suggestions. Thanks :)

The crew at a glance:

O.G. Malone (Throh) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Storm Throw

There's no way I could love this man anymore. He's a freaking tank when it comes to special attacks, and he can retaliate with a LOT of power. I have knock off for those pesky Musharna's and bulky Dusknoirs, EQ for coverage, Ice Punch for flying types such as Dodrio (that stand a threat to my team if Throh and Lairon are dead/weak,) and Storm Throw for the obvious STAB and the 100% critical hit chance obviously is nice.

Hot Pussy (Flareon) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower

This thing can hit anything hard, if my opponent sets up a Flame Charge, I can sweep in certain times. I really like Flareon after I replaced Magmar with him. Nothing in the tier can take a guts facade, except for Avalugg, which still gets hit hard by a Flare Blitz!

Railroad (Lairon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 130 HP / 252 Atk / 126 Def
Brave Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Ah, Lairon. The mother of all tanks. Since my team is weak to Chatot, Dodrio, and Avalugg, this thing sets up rocks to weaken them. He can also properly counter all three of these pokemon, and hit anything hard with a head smash. Nothing in the tier can take an Adamant 252 Attack EV's STAB Head Smash from Lairon.

Mountain (Torterra) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Shell Armor
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

My double dancer. He hasn't done much in the lower ladder, but he manages to wreck house once flying types such as Scyther and Chatot are dead. I originally made the team around him, but Throh just stole the show.

Asian (Kadabra) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

My most disappointing pokemon, I understand he's so useful at times (stopping Barbaracle SS sweeps) but other than that, he can't hit anything hard without specs. I only used him to stop Barbaracle, because they have a tendency to set up on Lairon.

Tupac (Basculin) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Crunch

Basculin is amazing and a beast. He can destroy anything with a waterfall. 'nuff said

Checks and Counters:

Scyther can sweep my team, unless Lairon is alive. But even so, this thing usually has Brick Break which hurts a lot! Waterfall from Basculin doesn't do much to it (if it's Eviolite,) Kadabra can't hurt it (Eviolite or not,) and Torterra can't do shit to it. An Aerial Ace from a choice banded Scyther is a clean 2HKO from full health.

A life orbed Dodrio can hurt everything but Lairon, which still gets owned by Knock Off, which gets rid of his eviolite. It destroys Torterra, a quick attack does 84%-99% damage do Kadabra, Throh gets very hurt from Brave Bird, Flareon stands no chance, and only then, if it takes enough recoil, an Aqua Jet from Basculin kills it.

I hate this thing. Lairon can counter it, but a +2 Chatter annoys me, especially if I hit my self in confusion. I don't want this thing to be PU anymore.

Avalugg walls half of my team, knowing they are very physically based. Only Flareon can kill this thing, which is bad, because recoil + toxic damage wears him down.

If Kadabra's dead, Shell Smash basically sweeps me.

Some battles (I'm really bad)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-171688355 (Torterra, Throh, and Flareon MoTM)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-171689654 (Ragequit)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-171691293 (Basculin and Lairon MoTM)

Last edited:
Hey ^-^ I really like your team! One thing I would suggest is to give Throh Mold Breaker over Guts. Without a status orb, I don't see much point in having guts and mold breaker is pretty useful.

Also, this may not be a great choice, but you can potentially forego Dazzling Gleam for Focus Blast. It may not sound too great, but it's better coverage and has worked better in the past for me. You can keep dazzling gleam but focus blast could possibly help with avalugg and barbaracle. Great team, though! =)

Hey ^-^ I really like your team! One thing I would suggest is to give Throh Mold Breaker over Guts. Without a status orb, I don't see much point in having guts and mold breaker is pretty useful.

Also, this may not be a great choice, but you can potentially forego Dazzling Gleam for Focus Blast. It may not sound too great, but it's better coverage and has worked better in the past for me. You can keep dazzling gleam but focus blast could possibly help with avalugg and barbaracle. Great team, though! =)
Guts is to surprise people when they try to Will-o me, but MBer is okay I guess.
And I'll replace Dazzling Gleam with Focus Blast, thanks :D

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To help out with Scyther, you can run Focus Sash Kadabra (which is better than Choice Scarf anyways) with Hidden Power Rock instead of Shadow Ball. The only thing you're really hitting with Shadow Ball is Musharna anyways, and it won't be doing enough to it after a Calm Mind to make it worthwhile anyways. This also helps a bit with Avalugg, as it keeps you from having to lock into a move against it and lose momentum.

I don't think Dodrio is really that big of an issue. You're right that Lairon doesn't like to lose its Eviolite, but it doesn't really hinder its ability to wall Dodrio that much.

Chatot is indeed a pain in the ass, but I think your team is well enough prepared against it that you shouldn't be in too bad of shape against it. If it uses Sub against Lairon, you can always Roar it out, and if it doesn't, it dies the turn you don't hit yourself in confusion.

To be honest, I think Poliwrath is one of the biggest threats to your team. Sub / Focus Punch / Ice Punch / Waterfall kind of destroys your team, and it gets a free Substitute against Lairon (assuming you don't stay in and Roar it out, which you rarely should), Flareon before the Toxic Orb activates, and Basculin. It's not the best answer, but running Zen Headbutt over Superpower or Crunch (probably Superpower) on Basculin would be helpful, as you can lure it in and deal tons of damage to it. It also limits the amount of Pokemon Poliwrath can Sub on down to basically one and a half because Flareon should have its Orb activated by mid-game anyways.

tl;dr
Kadabra:
- Choice Scarf -> Focus Sash
- Shadow Ball -> Hidden Power Rock

Basculin:
- Superpower or Crunch -> Zen Headbutt

Are hazards a problem with this team? You have no way to remove them, so Flareon has a tough time switching in repeatedly (if you play that way).
Maybe instead of Basculin, you can run Wartortle:
Phraustie (Wartortle) @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Foresight

If hazards are a problem, then this set can easily remove them. Grass Knot guarantees a 2HKO on Barbaracle while surviving any one or two attacks.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Guts is to surprise people when they try to Will-o me, but MBer is okay I guess.
And I'll replace Dazzling Gleam with Focus Blast, thanks :D
Don't go with mold breaker. It'll get you around levitate and sturdy, but in a lot more cases having a status absorber is what you'll want instead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)