1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My OU Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by postmanpat, Jun 24, 2013.

1. postmanpat

postmanpat

Alright, I'm new around Smogon, and I thought maybe I could get some comments/criticism on my OU team.

The Lead:
    [​IMG]

Scizor @ Choice Band | Technician
    Nature | Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 SpD
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - U-Turn
    - Superpower
    I generally lead off with the good ol' Choice Band Scizor. I find it to be a reliable lead, that can really punch holes in teams, as well as act as an amazing revenge killer. It also works well with the rest of my team.

Hazard setter:
    [​IMG]
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Iron Barbs
    Nature | Careful
    EVs: 252 HP, 128 SpD, 128 Def
    - Power Whip
    - Leech seed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    Ferrothorn is one of the bulkiest, hardest to deal with, walls in this generation. I use it because it's bulky and very difficult to KO. It sets up hazards efficiently and is my dragon counter, which, as you will see is very important to this team.

Surprise revenge killer:
    [​IMG]
    Heatran @ Choice Scarf | Flash Fire
    Nature | Timid
    EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power (Electric)
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Earth Power
    Scarf Heatran is not a common sight, and so is great, as most opponents expect it to be slower than their pokes, when really, Heatran outpaces them. HP electric is used to bring down Gyarados, which Heatran outspeeds even after one Dragon Dance. Dragon Pulse is to put a dent in DD Dragonite, which it also outpaces even after one DD. Earth Power is for Heatran switch-ins expecting a fire move. Fire Blast is a powerful STAB move that does lots of damage. Heatran's Flash Fire also goes very well with Scizor and Ferrothorn both of which have 4x fire weaknesses. It also takes care of many counters to my next pokemon...

Bulky Sweeper:
    [​IMG]
    Latias @ Leftovers | Levitate
    Nature | Timid
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 SpA
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute
    - Recover
    This thing wrecks entire teams given the chance to set up. Substitute, which is not generally expected on Latias prevents status problems from pests like Politoed, or Jellicent. After setting up a Sub, it's free to CM as much as possible, and after a few CMs, the sub is virtually unbreakable by special moves. Dragon Pulse, reliable STAB with good power is only resisted my steel types, which are usually taken care of by Heatran before this is sent in. Even if not, Dragon Pulse can do a large enough amount of damage to steel types after enough CMs. The only weak point is its relatively low physical defense, which is remedied by...

The Master Troll:
    [​IMG]
    Sableye @ Leftovers | Prankster
    Nature | Calm
    EVs: 252 HP, 136 SpD, 120 Def
    - Will-o-wisp
    - Confuse Ray
    - Recover
    - Taunt
    This right here, is one of the most irritating things in the game. It's great for frustrating the enemy, and checking many physical attackers. It shuts down walls, especially Ferrothorn, and prevents bulky sweepers from recovering health. Confuse Ray is just to frustrate the opponent. Will-o-wisp is also useful for covering up Latias's low physical defense, and its ghost typing is good for covering Ferrothorn's fighting weakness.

Physical Sweeper:
    [​IMG]
    Garchomp @ Lum Berry | Rough Skin
    Nature | Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    - Outrage
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang
    After everything faster than it is off the field, Garchomp destroys everything left. Lum Berry is used so that it can continue even after Outrage confuses it. Not much to say about this one.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for reading!
  2. Lady Alex

Lady Alex I asked Mawile to not hurt me. I was betrayed.
    is a Tiering Contributor

Hi, welcome to Smogon. Before I get to the rate, your Latias and Ferrothorn pictures are really huge, so maybe resize those.

As for your team, it's not that bad. My first suggestion is to use HP fire over Substitute on Latias. HP Fire is preferable for your team so you don't risk giving Ferrothorn a free switch-in, since 5/6 of the pokemon on your team are affected by Spikes. It also allows you hit Scizor who switch-in expecting a mono-attacking set.

With that change in mind, I think you're free to get rid of heatran. In its place, I think you would appreciate Scarf Terrakion. Scarf Terrakion will allow you to easily get rid of Volcarona, who otherwise sweeps your whole team if its running HP Ground for Heatran.

Lastly, I greatly recommend that you use Night Shade over Confuse Ray on Sableye. Confuse Ray just isn't very reliable, and the consistent damage from Night Shade will benefit you a lot more. Good luck. Hope I helped.
  3. postmanpat

postmanpat

Thanks for the rate! As for resizing the pictures, I'm trying to, but it's not working O.o i have no idea why.
    I'll try out the changes you recommended, but i think I'll stick with Confuse Ray on Sabeleye just because I like to annoy sweepers.
  4. dcae

dcae naughty list

Hey there! This is a pretty cool team you have here! A first look over reveals no synergetical issues, so that is definitely good. Your team seems to have the main win condition of SubCM Latias, which is a top-notch mon in the current OU meta. The problem with mono-attacking Latias is that Steels, such as Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Jirachi give you a hellish time. Garchomp does a decent job of dealing with these mons, but it can't deal with Air Balloon Heatran as an example. Also, atm, your Ferrothorn doesn't seem to fit very well with your team, as it makes you lose momentum. My recommendation here would be to drop it for a Scarf Terrakion. Scarf Terrakion smashes Steels, and revenge kills a lot more threats than Scarf Heatran. The set I recommend is the following:

[​IMG]Terrakion @Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Rock Slide

Now that you have a revenge killer in place, Heatran can use an Air Balloon set, and become your hazards setter. The set is standard:

[​IMG]Heatran @Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Earth Power
    - Stealth Rock

On Garchomp, I would personally run Life Orb over Lum Berry to deal more damage through Fire Blast. Also, LO Chomp deals much more damage, more befitting of its role as a wallbreaker, general hard hitter, supporting your main sweeper Latias. Overall, this is a pretty cool team, and I hope I helped. Good luck!

Tl;dr
    tl;dr (open)

ScarfKion > Ferro
    Air Balloon Heatran > ScarfTran
    LO > Lum Berry on Garchomp
  5. postmanpat

postmanpat

Thanks for the rate! Will definitely try out your suggestions! I hadn't realized how out of place Ferro was, but I see it now.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)