My TEAM FOR Platinun BT

Hi all, here is my team for Pokemon Platinum Battle Tower Single, in the correct order.
I didn’t want a classic trick team, so, after much thinking, i came up with this (even before discovering that my gengar & garchomp are somewhat “standard”, i came up with these settings by myself....)

Gengar@focus sash
Timid
EV : 252 Speed / 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Hp
IV : 31 in Speed & Sp.Atk, don’t bother on the others
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Garchomp@Life Orb
Jolly
EV : 252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 Hp
IV (Hp, Atk, Def, Sp.Def, Sp.atk, Speed) : xx/31/xx/31/xx/31)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace

Slaking@Choice Band
Adamant
EV : 252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def.
IV (Hp, Atk, Def, Sp.Def, Sp.atk, Speed) : xx/31/xx/31/xx/31)
- Double Edge
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw
- Brick Break / Thunder punch

Strategy :
This team plays straight :
- Gengar takes care of the nasty OHKO movers with Energy ball, since with most of them it is supereffective. Also, there’s a nice switch-in opportunity for Slaking, if a shadow move is coming.... Poisong Fang is for massive STAB damage. Destiny bond & Shadow ball are quite obvious. I went for grass instead of electric against OHKO’s, even loosing some attack points (80 instead of 95), mainly to have something that OHKO Rhyperiors, and others who are 4x supereffective like Gastrodom & Swampert... I tend to meet many of those...

Being the only special attacker in my team, and the fact of having destiny bond, I tend to preserve him as long as there’s a switch-in opportunity
- Garchomp obviously switch-ins against electrical, and in every case there is a possibility of at least one swords dance. I went for Aerial Ace instead of other moves, in order to switch in against Double teamers.
- Slaking is usually the last resort, and with this settings, should be able to OHKO most pokemons in the game. It’s bulky enough to withstand any hit, even crits, when facing a faster pokemon..., even taking into account the recoil damage.
Double edge for destroying power, and the other moves are for rocks & steels & ghosts... i have a doubt of the other move against rocks and steels with levitate or flying types.... electric, fight or others ? suggestions are welcome.

I know that Slaking is rarely used, but remember : we'er playing against the AI, not humans.. let's take advantage of that..it saved my ass in battle 49 : I was using latios instead of garchomp. 1st turn : i have slaking as #1, cresselia shows up : Gengar comes in, takes the hit, and DB cres. than i switch latios, hetran shows up : i sufed it, i knew that i wouldn't OHKO him, but i knew i could resist its Flash cannon... but i got a CRHIT (!!!!).. so in comes Slaking, i used RETURN (double edge is the move i'm planning for my new slaking) to be able to use it again against regigigas : well :

1st turn : slaking loafs, REG uses crush-grip : 40% damage on slaking
2nd turn : Slaking RETURNs, Regigigas remains barely alive, uses drain punch.... Slaking remains with 100 PS about...
3rd turn Slaking loafs, REG uses stone edge... Slaking remains with something like 50 PS..
4th turn : Reg is blasted away with return

I’m actually just finished with battle 49, and I’m breeding (thanks Smogon for the magnificent Breeding Guide) to get the pokemon I want with the right nature and IVs that i posted... just note that I played all the way until now with a LAX Garchomp (!!!!!) with crappy IVs..... but it did its job to bring me to battle 50, now it's time to take a major step on....

I gladly wait for your comments, particularlt about the threats for this team, and some ideas to better it, keeping the general strategy.....
thanks.

I thougth a lot about a little, but significant, variance : Garchomp as #1 with focus sash, and Gengar with something else like life orb... there are just too many pro and cons that i cannot grasp.... suggestions are welcome...

Fabrizio

I also used a Slaking in BT with pretty good results. One thing I found useful on him was Giga Impact. Now usually this would be advised against, but with only 3 pokes on each team it isn't that big of a deal. Slaking will usually be trying to clean up whatever Gengar and Garchomp can't handle anyway, often leaving you with only one remaining target. Also, the CPU doesn't exploit switches/set-up moves nearly as much as human players do, so you can get away with sitting around that extra turn.

thanks for your replay, missigno...

I thought a lot about that, too.... but i decided, after a bad event, that i would have used ONLY 100% accuracy moves... let's face it : we want to get to 100 battles, and possibly more : this means that you have to face hundres of foes : in the long run, your moves not 100% accurancy will eventually fail.... and, be sure of that, when you need them most....

i have also made an excel sheet, with all the b.t. pokemon above 49 and actual stats, making a formula to determinate, with my (desired slaking statistics), which pokemon i OHKO, and which don't, with minimum-average-maximum random damage limits....

my conclusion is that the advantage of Giga impact over double edge, in those terms, is certainly present, but does not make a very great difference.... everything IMHO...

thanks,

Fab

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)