My VGC 2012 Team (Not Weather-related :D)

Hey, this is my second RMT here on Smogon which I'd have to say is much better than my previous one :P This is my first full year in the VGC, as I started after Nationals 2011, and I'm just looking for general advice/changes on the team I'm using at the moment. All comments are appreciated :D

~Scizor @ Choice Band~
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 Atk, 248 SpD, 8 Spd
Moveset:
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Night Slash
-Brick Break

Pretty much your standard Scizor except for the 248 SpD EVs, which are there to allow it to take Special-based fire attacks better (like from Chandelure and anything else that can use Fire Blast/Flamethrower). Bullet Punch for priority, U-Turn for alternate STAB and switching out, Night Slash for extra type coverage, and Brick Break over Superpower as it breaks screens and doesn't give an Atk/Def drop.

~Infernape @ Focus Sash~
Nature: Naive
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 96 Atk, 168 SpA, 248 Spd
Moveset:
-Close Combat
-Overheat
-Rock Slide
-Protect

One of my favorite Pokemon on this team, Infernape provides excellent type coverage and can easily get the most out of Blaze by being Sashed. Close Combat and Overheat for STAB, and Rock Slide to hit both opponents and possibly cause flinch.

~Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb~
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP, 248 Atk, 8 Spd
Moveset:
-Mach Punch
-Drain Punch
-Protect
-Rock Slide

Conkeldurr is probably one of the most brutal Pokemon in the game after a Guts boost and having 140 Base Attack, not to mention quite respectable defenses and tanking ability with Drain Punch. Mach Punch for priority, Protect to stall a turn for Flame Orb, Rock Slide to hit both opponents and for type coverage, and Drain Punch for tankability. The 8 Spd EVs help me to outspeed other Conkeldurr and a few other Pokemon.

~Chandelure @ Choice Scarf~
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 8 HP, 248 SpA, 248 Spd
Moveset:
-Heat Wave
-Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball

My personal favorite Pokemon from Gen IV (except Stunfisk), it's certainly no disappointment packing Heat Wave, tons of move choices, and an amazing 145 Base Special Attack. I use Shadow Ball and Fire Blast for STAB, Energy Ball for coverage, and Heat Wave to hit both opponents as well as STAB. Max Speed and Special Attack EVs are there to make the most out of the Scarf and make every hit from Chandelure hurt even more.

~Milotic @ Leftovers~
Nature: Modest
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 92 Def, 248 SpA, 168 SpD
Moveset:
-Hydro Pump
-Recover
-Protect
-Ice Beam

Well, this is my creative choice for a somewhat bulky Water Type that can also hit hard with a Modest nature and Max SpA EVs. Although Milotic doesn't give the most in terms of coverage, it has access to Recover, has very good base SpD, and also has Marvel Scale to make people think twice about afflicting it with status. Hydro Pump is there for basic STAB, Ice Beam for coverage, and Recover to tank.

~Dragonite @ Expert Belt~
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 56 Atk, 200 SpA, 248 Spd
Moveset:
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Thunder
-ExtremeSpeed

Probably the main powerhouse of my team, Dragonite has what it takes in terms of bulk, power, and coverage to be one of the most valuable assets to my team. ExtremeSpeed for priority, Draco Meteor for STAB, and Fire Blast and Thunder for coverage.

Once again, all comments are appreciated and thanks for reading,
~Glaciate

I suggest using protect on pretty much all your pokemon. Protect is extremely useful in VGC's for numerous reasons.

Investing s.def in scizor seems pointless unless you want to use it to wall certain kind of special attacks such as ice or water. And dont think that you even can survive from HP Fire due to scizor's 4x fire weakness.

Secondly, why to use two same type attacks on one pokemon? If you want power use overheat with more accurate flamethrower but fire blast is enough imo. Then for the 4th move choice substitute or another coverage move. This is the same for milotic as well. Against hail team you can pick HP Fire instead of blizzard because ice is ineffective against ice already.

Lastly I am not a good team rater yet and above is what I see appealing in your team. It is usually good to get different evaluations.

Good luck.

Overall it seems pretty solid, I'm alwasy for a good team that isn't involved with weather. You should run more protects though. You should check out my Cameruption VGC team and rate it, I'd really appreciate it.

Life orb on nite seems kind of counter productive, especially with no healing...possibly an expert belt since you have good coverage and it would keep your multiscale intact? You lose the boost before your opponent even attacks with LO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)